PDA

View Full Version : research on fear experience

s1aint
04-19-2008, 11:40 AM
Hi Guys

I'm doing some research on the experience of fear while watching horror movies. Specifically i would like to know how horror movie characters affected you. Some answers to the following questions would be helpful and i would appreciate this very much.

1. what horror movie character really scared you?
2. what was it about the character that frightened you?
3. why did you find this particular characteristic of the character frightening?

look forward to hearing your responses and again i would really appreciate this particularly as you are all horror movie fans.

Dante'sInferno
04-19-2008, 11:45 AM
1. what horror movie character really scared you?Jack Torrence from The Shining.

2. what was it about the character that frightened you?He was out of his mind and he was at the lowest point of his life,where he wanted to kill his own wife and son.*

3. why did you find this particular characteristic of the character frightening?Psychopath

Hope that helps.:)

missmacabre
04-19-2008, 11:46 AM
1. Pennywise from It.
2. Clown nose and hair.
3. It's a phobia. Completely unfounded and probably won't help you much. What you may find interesting is that clowns who don't have typical clown hair or round red noses don't frieghten me in the least.

s1aint
04-19-2008, 11:51 AM
Thanks Dante

s1aint
04-19-2008, 11:54 AM
thanks missmacabre

Guys, one character who really freaked me out was Mr Barlow from the original Salems Lot!

Dante'sInferno
04-19-2008, 11:54 AM
Thanks Dante
Anytime .

s1aint
04-19-2008, 11:59 AM
Thanks again Bye for now

urgeok2
04-19-2008, 12:10 PM
couldnt think of a horror character so here's the best i could do :

1. what horror movie character really scared you? Amon Goeth (Ralph Fiennes) from Schindlers list

2. what was it about the character that frightened you? his inability to control himself - even when it would benefit him to do so. - his total disregard for the lives of the people he found inferior. (the jews)

3. why did you find this particular characteristic of the character frightening?
because it was most likely real.

Despare
04-19-2008, 04:05 PM
1. what horror movie character really scared you? Nurse Ratched from One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

2. what was it about the character that frightened you? The character was not only cold, calculating, intelligent, and manipulating but she was very "real".

3. why did you find this particular characteristic of the character frightening? It didn't take much imagination to picture a woman like that working in a mental institution and truly hurting people on a daily basis.

ChronoGrl
04-19-2008, 05:53 PM
These are really interesting answers. Chrono, on the other hand, is going to go for the more obvious and completely visceral...

1. what horror movie character really scared you?
Mike Myers. Hands down. Comes after me in nightmares on occasion.

2. what was it about the character that frightened you?
Mike Myers was completely dehumanized to being more than animal, but monster. This wasn't just plain sociopath, but rather the embodiment of fear and evil. It was specifically what Carpenter set out to do and I think that he succeeded.

In regards to simple visceral reaction, as I mentioned before, he is the embodiment of nightmares, the manifestation of home invasion and siege, subjects that honestly keep me up at night (I sleep closer to the door, so I would be the first one to go... Freaks me out).

urgeok2
04-19-2008, 06:04 PM
actually - just thought of an appropriate response:

1. what horror movie character really scared you? the cloverfield monster

2. what was it about the character that frightened you? it's size, and it's tenacity (for violence)

it unearthed a decades old emotional response from reoccuring dreams i had as a kid of a huge maurading monster that would find me no matter where i bloody well hid.

novakru
04-20-2008, 09:35 AM
..........oops

novakru
04-20-2008, 09:36 AM
1. What horror movie character really scared you?
The creature from Freaks

2. What was it about the character that frightened you?
It's deformed body and it's animalistic mental state

3. Why did you find this particular characteristic of the character frightening?
Deformities in the body- mess with my sense of aesthetics and the fact that you wouldn't be able to seduce or rationalize with that creature to escape being harmed ....makes me intensely uncomfortable.