PDA

View Full Version : Common Superstitions

_____V_____
04-18-2008, 11:30 AM
Those who are aware of the goings-on in The HDC Battle Royale will instantly know the topic.

One of the contestants did an awesome job researching into each of those and came up with a set of unique answers. I post them here, so that all of you can have an idea about the superstitions themselves, as well as the hard work gone into writing all of these. :)

1) Foot

If your feet itch (usually on the bottom)...You're about to go somewhere soon, could be just a trip to the store or actually traveling somewhere...

If however, your NOSE itches, someone is coming to see YOU.

2) Cow

The cow has often been said to know the direct path to heaven, hence the old German and Scandinavian traditions that a cow should accompany funeral processions. A cow trespassing in the garden is a warning of immenent death, as is a cow lowing after midnight, and a cow lowing three times in a person's face.

Milk will not flow from the cow if someone sings in the milking shed, or if a cow sees a person it's not familiar with inside the milking shed. If you do not wash your hands immediately after milking the cow, there will be no milk the next time. If a cow doesn't give milk for a day or two, you may have an evil spirit who drinks the milk at night. To ward off the malevolent spirits, affix a bough of rowan wood above the door tom the cow shed. In Ireland, the preferred method of discouraging milk-drinking evil spirits is to sprinkle primroses on the floors of the cows' stalls.

Also in Ireland, It's considered bad luck to milk a cow just before it's sent to market. When taking a cow to market, it is bad luck if you remove the rope that is used to tether the cow. The cow must be led to the market and sold with the rope attached, in order to ward off malevolent spirits, as it is believed that the cow's luck resides in the rope that is used to tether it.

When selling a cow, the animal should be pushed out of the barn backwards, or it may become sterile. If someone offers to by a cow that is NOT for sale, it will die.

When cows stand or walk with their tails up in the air, it means it's going to rain (I grew up on a farm when I was little, and for ME if a cow stood or walked with its tail in the air, it meant 'don't stand behind the cow, and watch your step if you have to follow it'). Also when cows are feeding very close together, it will surely rain. If a cow bangs it's tail against a fence or a tree, or if the cows are laying down and resting on high fround, the weather will be fair and calm.

The breath of a cow is believed to beneficial to peoples' health. People suffering from consumption were advised to sleep in the barn near the cows. It is still believed (and touted as fact) by many, that no farmhand has ever contracted tuberculosis.

Feeding the mother cow's dung to a newborn calf will protect it from evil spirits.

Cows are said to kneel in homage to Christ on Christmas Eve and speak and pray with each other with human voices during that time. If a person overhears the cows speaking, the person will die.

3) Leaf

If leaves fall off the trees before Autumn, it's considered a portent of a severe winter to come, or some impending disaster such as disease befalling the cattle if it happens to Elm or fruit trees on a farm. If someone catches one of the early falling leaves in their hand before it hits the ground, the household will remain free of colds and other 'winter illnesses' for the duration of the winter.

A British variation of this tradition claims that one happy day (some say 'one whole month') for each leaf caught, will follow during the time between 'Michaelmas' (September 29th) and Halloween...Hmm, Michael and Halloween?

If dead leaves are carried into the house, it will bring bad luck, yet if dead leaves blow into the house on their own, good luck will follow. A Welsh superstition holds that bringing dead leaves into a church will threaten the
lives of any children most recently baptised there.

Leaves that turn upside-down or rustle suddenly on the trees, are letting us know that rain is coming.

A superstition from Northern England contends that sleeping with a sprig of Holly (with 9 leaves attached to it) under your pillow, will allow you to dream of your future spouse.

If someone isn't sure that their partner truly loves them, they can scratch the initials of their lover into a fresh Bay leaf, then wear the Bay leaf all day long in their cap, their shoe or in their shirt close to their heart (many women would put it in their bra). If after the end of the day the initials appear more clear (darker, easier to read), you can be sure that your partner's love for you is true.

4) A dream of running

A simple dream of running usually means something good is going to happen to you.

A woman dreaming of running: She will soon lose her virginity.

Running too fast: Unexpected money will come your way.

Running from something that scared you: You will become secure

Running because you're afraid of something (slightly different from the above) : You will go off on your own, away from friends and family

Running in circles: Your friends don't trust you and don't think very highly of you...They are talking about you behind your back, and what they're saying isn't good.

Running naked: Your relatives will take advantage of you, will rob you or cheat you out of something (usually pertaining to money, property, etcetera).

A woman dreaming of running naked: She will soon suffer a nervous breakdown or mental illness.

If a man is sick when he dreams of running: Bad business matters ahead

If a woman is sick when she dreams of running: She will soon get new clothes

Running to catch someone: Good luck, good things coming your way.

A sick person running to catch someone: Much happiness

If you see other people running in your dream: It's a sign of contentment, either you are content or will be very soon.

If you dream of many other people running around in confusion: Seriously bad news (perhaps of a death of a family member or other severe tragedy) is coming your way.

If you are running around in your dream as if you are insane: You are about to become rich.

Many people running and chasing each other: Expect fighting and arguing soon.

Many adults running with clubs (bats, sticks, etc) in their hands: Your business associates are unhappy with the way things are going

Many children running with clubs (bats, sticks, etc) in their hands: Great happines

Poor people running: Good fortune

Wanting to run but can't: You are about to become very ill

If you are chasing an enemy: You will achieve success, you will profit from something

If you are running while hunting: You will lose money soon

If you dream that you are running after a deer or a rabbit: You are a very stingy/selfish person

Some believe that a simple dream of running is a dream about obstacles: If you reach your goal in your dream, you will succeed in your current endeavors, however if you become tired and slow down or stop, you will fail. Some also believe that the 'trying to run, but can't' dream, is a sign of deep insecurity, a feeling that no matter what you do, you cannot accomplish anything.

5) Pepper

Although not as important as SALT (as far as superstitions go), pepper is still considered to hold some mystical significance.

Pepper is considered to be an aphrodisiac

Don't eat pepper when you have a fever, it will make it worse

Coating a cotton ball in black pepper, then holding it to the ear, is supposed to cure an earache.

Eating whole chili peppers is supposed to kill a cold.

If you have a 'guest' that you would prefer not stick around very long, sprinkle a little pepper in their seat before they sit down, to shorten their visit.

6) Tongue

Most superstitions claim that biting your tongue while speaking means that you are lying, however the Native Americans believe that it's a 'lucky accident' that tells you good news or a gift is coming your way.

Sores, ulcers or 'white spots' appearing on your tongue, means that you have been lying.

Carrying the tip of a calf's tongue with you (pocket, on a chain around your neck, etcetera) will bring you good luck...Carrying it in your wallet or purse is supposed to ensure that you always have money.

A husband with an overly talkative wife can 'cure' her of that affliction by obtaining the tongue of a cat and keeping it in his possession (without her knowledge, of course).

A person who wishes to bestow 'sexual magnetism' upon themselves, simply needs to carry a toad's tongue in their pocket.

_____V_____
04-18-2008, 11:31 AM
7) Scissors

Being made of metal and capable of cutting (as in the sisters/the fates), scissors are considered potent objects in superstition.

If a pair of scissors is dropped on the floor it can cause severe bad luck.

If the point sticks in the floor, it couls mean death.

Scissors closed, one point stuck in the floor = A funeral
Scissors opened, two points stuck in the floor = A wedding

The person who drops the scissors should always ask a friend or someone else to pick them up for them, if you you have no choice but to pick them up yourself, you should step on them a few times first.

Scissors that have been dropped, should be held in the hands and 'warmed up' before the next time they are used for cutting, that is

supposed to make them 'safe' again. Scissors that come apart (break) while you're using them is a sign that bad luck is coming.

Scissors (knives/sharp implements) should never be given as gifts, unless the reciever offers a coin or something that can be perceived as 'payment' to trick the fates as if it were actually a 'purchase'. Otherwise, the giver and receiver of the scissors will soon end up 'cutting ties' and the relationship will be irretrievably broken.

Scissors are a deterrent against malevolent spirits and can be placed under the doormat, in the open position (like a cross) to prevent them from entering the house.

A superstition of African tradition claims that you should never open and close scissors during a wedding, as this will cause the groom to become impotent.

8) A dream of falling

A simple dream of falling usually means something bad will happen, the farther you fall, the worse the 'something' will be

If you are falling from a high place: Bad things are coming your way

Falling from a medium height: You will lose your honor

Being hurt in a fall: Bad times will come and your friends will not

help...They will abandon you

Falling and being scared/startled by the fall: You will experience some sort of trouble

Falling without being hurt: You will succeed in your current struggles

Falling onto the floor: Danger is coming, be careful and aware

Falling from a bridge: You may soon suffer a nervous breakdown or mental illness

Falling a quickly getting back up: You are an honorable person; You may receive some type of honor

Falling into an open grave: A catastrophe is coming soon

Falling into water (unless it's specifically the ocean) : You will die soon

Falling into the ocean: You will soon become very ill

Falling into the ocean but being quickly jolted awake upon hitting the water: Honor and wealth

If you are thrown into the ocean by enemies: You are about to be persecuted

If you dream of OTHER people falling: You will be promoted soon

If you dream of your relatives falling: You will triumph over your enemies

If you dream of children falling: You will experience happiness that has nothing to do with money or any type of profit

If you dream of your friends falling: Someone is lying to you

If you dream that your enemies are falling: There is a secret that you are thinking of confiding in someone, this dream is a warning that you should NOT tell this secret to ANYONE or you will suffer for it.

A 'falling dream' can also be symbolic of fear...Such as fear of a moral lapse, job failure, sexual inadequacy, loss of status, etcetera.

9) Seeing a rainbow on wedding day

Most superstitions claim that a rainbow is a good omen when it appears on a wedding day. Many say that the newly married couple will be happy and prosperous with a bright future ahead of them, and that no harm will befall any of those beneath the rainbow's span....

However, Norse folklore says that a rainbow is the 'celestial bridge' over which the dead cross over into heaven, and therefore is an omen of death. In certain places, rhymes are chanted or other certain procedures are performed to negate the evil influence of the rainbow, such as laying down two sticks or straws in the from of a cross to 'cross out' the rainbow.

10) Umbrella

Opening an umbrella indoors is taboo. Some say as long as you don't hold it over anyone's head, it's 'okay'.

Umbrellas shouldn't be laid on beds or tables...Also bad luck.

If an unmarried woman drops an umbrella, she must not pick it up herself or she will never marry.

It is unlucky to give an umbrella as a gift.

Superstitious sailors are uneasy about umbrellas being on their ships, especially if the umbrellas are black.

As you all can see, she did a SPLENDID job in researching into so MANY of them. I preserved it through this thread, and also that I can make some space in my PM box. :D

A lot of kudos for the above effort go to...Rayne!

Lord RawK
04-18-2008, 12:47 PM
superstitious or not, unlucky or not... friday the 13th days on a calendar year always grab my attention. i definitely look forward to them when they rarely happen.

ferretchucker
04-18-2008, 12:50 PM
I'm not a superstitious man. I love a black cat going infront of me, dunno why, if i step on a crack, i just think that realisticly, every woman who's had a child would have broken their back by now, and only one friday the 13th for me has been unlucky. And that was probably just coincidence.

Rayne
04-18-2008, 12:51 PM
As you all can see, she did a SPLENDID job in researching into so MANY of them. I preserved it through this thread, and also that I can make some space in my PM box. :D

A lot of kudos for the above effort go to...Rayne!

Awww, you're so sweet...Now I feel special :D

And...Now everyone knows how I type when I'm sleepy and I don't have time to proofread...I ALWAYS make my kids proofread everything they write.

That's gonna drive me insane, seeing all of those errors...lol

My grandmother was an extremely superstitious woman, and as such, she was also triskaidekaphobic...She would never leave the house on Friday the 13th, she wouldn't even leave her BED that day unless she absolutely had to. She basicly tried to 'skip' it

Not as bad as Stephen King, though...He is also triskaidekaphobic...He won't even stop reading a book on any page that has a 13, a variation of 13 (including 31), or even numbers that ADD UP to 13 (IE: 139)...Although, she would have done the same, if she would have thought of it, I'm sure of that.

This was told to me by my mother (who has a small hump in her nose)...Once when my grandmother was taking my mother to school, my mother told her that she had forgotten her books...My grandmother said, "We can't go back for something that we've forgotten. It's bad luck"...My mother said, "Then I can't go to school. I can't do anything without my books, and I'll get in trouble." After much pleading, and even crying (living out in the country, it takes a while to get to school), my grandmother gave in...She made sure that they both got out of the car, hung up their coats and sat in a chair, before getting back up, putting their coats back on, and heading back out the door...That little ritual didn't work...They had a wreck that morning...My grandmother was fine, the front of the truck was smashed a bit, my mother who hit the dashboard (seatbelts weren't required then, many vehicles didn't even HAVE them, and there were no such things as airbags), broke her nose...My grandmother told her that it would be a constant reminder not to snub her nose at fate.

I had tons of these things handed down to me...As a result:

I knock wood.

I warn my kids to be careful if they go back for something they've forgotten, and not to do it, if it can be avoided.

I know that when my right palm itches, I will soon be getting money from somewhere...If my left palm itches, it's gonna cost me.

Right hand = Money comes in
Left hand = Money goes out

Remember that one, and pay attention to what happens the next time your palm itches...That one is interesting

There are SO many more, but the baby needs attention and Dustin's at work, so I'm kinda busy, and I wouldn't wanna bore you guys anyway :)

And, I had already mentioned similar things here, in my superstitions thread years ago ;)

cactus
04-18-2008, 12:58 PM
Not as bad as Stephen King, though...He is also triskaidekaphobic...He won't even stop reading a book on any page that has a 13, a variation of 13 (including 31), or even numbers that ADD UP to 13 (IE: 139)...Although, she would have done the same, if she would have thought of it, I'm sure of that.

That is bizarre...I do the EXACT same thing. Can't stop on page 13, 58, 76...etc. Don't really know why, Friday the 13 doesn't bother me. Weird.

Lord RawK
04-18-2008, 01:02 PM
maybe some of you are fearful of the 13th floor in a building? some elevators don't even have it listed.

that being said, friday the 13th has to be one of the most enjoyable days of the year.

ferretchucker
04-18-2008, 01:02 PM
The way i see it, in most cases (obviously not in your grandmothers car that day), if you're looking for something bad to happen, anything can seem badto you, which might just seem normal on another day. Equally though, if you want too many good things to happen, if you have a normal day, because what you've been expecting to be spectacular doesn't happen, you may feel down.

I try to not put my expectations too high or two low, so instead, i just judge everything that's happening as I see it. I try as much as i can to only live in the present. For this look on life, I have decided not to call myself either an optimist or a pesimist. No. I did this.

Medium + Imist = Medimist.

My glass is neither half empty or half full. It has enough water for me to drink in it, but not loads. That's my life folks.