PDA

View Full Version : Post your recipes

Vodstok
04-17-2008, 09:57 AM
I figure cheebs will be all over this one ;)

I make biscuits from scratch more often than is healthy (yet i have lost 4 lbs in 2 weeks, go figure), and i figured i would share this recipe since it come sout AWESOME.

2 cups flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder ( iuse half baking soda, half cream of tartar, since that is basically what baking powder is)
6 tablespoons cold butter (cut into small pieces)
1/2 teaspoon salt (kosher is best)

3/4 cup half and half

mix all of the dry ingredients in a bowl, then add the butter pieces and shake to cover the butter in flour. use a pastry cutter, or if you dont have one (and you are brave), chop the shit out of it with a couple of butter knives. you want the butter covered in flour and cut into mostly pieces the size of peas.

pour in the half and half, and gently mix it in with a spatula until it is thoroughly mixed in. the dough should be a little dry with some of it not really holding together. toss a little more flour in if you need to.

spread a thin layer of flour on a dry flat surface, and put the dough on it. coat your hands in flour (helps if you have latex gloves and cover them with flour), knead a few times, 10 or so (not too much).

punch flat, or use a rolling pin, and use a round cutter to make the biscuits.

Bake in an oven preheated to 425 farenheit for 10 minutes.

Most recipes will tell you to let them cool, but i say screw that. eat them hot with butter. Smile as your arteries clog.

newb
04-17-2008, 10:03 AM
This one is always a hit at parties.

CHILI DIP

1 (8 oz.) tub soft cream cheese
1 sm. can Hormel chili (no beans)
1 pkg. Monterey Jack cheese (sliced or shredded if you can find it)
1 lg. bag nacho chips

In a flat bottom casserole dish layer in order: cream cheese, chili, Monterey Jack cheese.

Cover and heat until the cheese looks melted. You can microwave it about 5 minutes (but watch it) or in a regular oven about 15 minutes. Serve with nacho chips.

Vodstok
04-17-2008, 10:04 AM
That one is perfection in simplicity. I love hormel chili....

Vodstok
04-17-2008, 04:57 PM
so this thing doesnt die after 2 recipes....

Spicy oven "fried" chicken.

makes 2 thighs, adjust up for more

1/2 cup flour
2 chicken thighs, bone in with skin
1/4 hot sauce (frank's red hot is my personal favorite. use your's)
2 splashes worcestershire sauce (lea & perrin's, again, personal choice)
onion powder
garlic salt
pepper (fresh ground is best)
dried basil
paprika

2 1 gallon ziploc bags

put the hot sauce and worcestershire sauce in on of the bags, add the thighs, move them around until coated with the sauce mixture, squeeze out the air and seal (if you have time, let it marinate for hours, but it works fine if you just coat them while you get the rest of the stuff together)

preheat the oven to 375 f

mix the flour and spices in the other bag

put a wire cooling rack on a cookie sheet, line the sheet with foil to save on cleanup. Make sure the cookie sheet is the kind with sides, this is to cathc grease that drips off the chicken.

take the chicken from the sauce mix and drop it into the bag with the flour. shake it up until all of the chicken is coated in flour mix, then let it set for a few minutes (the flour sticks better this way)

take the chicken out of the bag and shake off any excess flour. any extra will end up on a hot cookie sheet and it will smoke. bad.

put the chicken on the cooling rack and place in the oven for 20 minutes on the top rack. turn it over at least twice.

As the chicken cooks, the fat melts and essentially fries the breading. i usually finish off with a couple of minutes on each side under the broiler. this makes the breading and sking roughly the same texture as KFC skin. only really spicy :)

the sauce/bread combo works well in deep frying too, if you want to go that route. you may wany to mix some egg in with the sauce to help it adhere.

newb
04-17-2008, 05:17 PM
to go with Vod's chicken

TWICE BAKED POTATOES

baking potatoes
milk (either whole or evaporated)
butter
salt and pepper
cheddar cheese (shredded)

Bake potatoes until done (either at 400 deg. in oven for 45 minutes or in microwave). Cut open lengthwise and scoop out insides.

Put insides in a bowl and mix with milk, butter, salt and pepper until creamy consistency. Scoop back into potato hulls, top with shredded cheddar cheese and bake until cheese melts.

newb
04-17-2008, 05:31 PM
and for a veggie

[nobody's on a diet...right ]

BROCCOLI & CHEESE CASSEROLE

2 lbs. frozen broccoli, thawed
1 10 3/4 oz. can Cream of Mushroom Soup
1 medium onion, diced
1 lb. med. sharp Cheddar cheese, grated
2 eggs
salt and pepper, to taste
1 pkg. Ritz crackers crushed

Combine all ingredients except Ritz crackers in a large bowl. Mix well. Spoon into 13x9 inch pan. Cover with foil and bake at 350°F for 50 minutes.

Remove foil and sprinkle crushed Ritz crackers on top of casserole.

Bake, uncovered, for an additional 10 minutes or until crackers are golden brown. Let sit for 10 minutes before serving.

newb
04-18-2008, 08:11 AM
AND.......for dessert

8-Minute Cheesecake

1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 (8-ounce) container sour cream
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup non-dairy whipped topping
1 (9-inch) graham cracker pie crust
1/2 pint strawberries, hulled and sliced

1. In a large mixing bowl beat cream cheese until softened; gradually add sugar. Blend in sour cream and vanilla until well mixed. Gently fold in non-dairy whipped topping, blending well.
2. Spoon into prepared graham cracker crust and chill. Garnish with sliced strawberries.

Makes 8 servings.

I'm trying Vod........I'm trying

Papillon Noir
04-18-2008, 09:13 AM
3c Sweet Potato Mashed (best is to slice and microwave covered 3-5 min.)
2 Eggs Beaten
1/2c Canned Evaporated Milk (2% is best)
1/2c Sugar
1 Stick of Butter (room temp is best)
1 ½tsp Vanilla Extract (would advise against using “Imitation Vanilla Extract” here)
1/2tsp Cinnamon

Combine ingredients and put in a greased (I used Pam Spray) 13 X 9 Baking Dish.

Topping:
1/3c Butter Melted
1c Brown Sugar
1/2c Flour
1c Pecans Chopped (easiest is to buy pre-chopped)

Combine ingredients and sprinkle on top.

Bake at 350 degrees for 30 min.

(It's kind of a fall/thanksgiving dish, but the only recipe on my computer right now :) )

Vodstok
04-18-2008, 09:39 AM
I'm trying Vod........I'm trying

your efforts have not gone unnoticed. Thank you :)

We do seem to be missing a certain australian chef\video game enthusiast....

i think he's a fan of "the pot"...

urgeok2
04-18-2008, 09:57 AM
if i can find it when i'm home - i'll post this recipie for a honey mustard chicken curry thats really easy, fast and tasty (mild enough for people who dont normally like curry - but tasty enough for people that do..)

Vodstok
04-22-2008, 02:52 PM
not really a recipe, but i discovered today that if you roast bell peppers (green and red), red onion, and whole garlic cloves on a grill with hickory chips and bay leaves on the coals, it tastes and smells incredible.

Puree them and add them to homemade bbq sauce (had that for dinner tonight :D)

ManchestrMorgue
04-22-2008, 11:02 PM
OK here is a quick and easy pepper steak

Ingredients:

Steaks (I prefer sirloin about 1" thick or rib eye)
Cracked black pepper
1 small can of green peppercorns
butter
salt
white wine
brandy
cream
Veal stock

Season the steaks with cracked black pepper and salt. Heat some butter in a very hot pan, and cook the steaks in the butter to your liking.

Once the steaks are cooked, remove them from the pan and keep them warm.

Pour some white wine into the pan to deglaze. Add some brandy. Add some veal stock (about 3 tablespoons), and reduce. Add the green peppercorns.

Add some butter and continue to reduce until it starts to thicken.

Finally, add some cream and cook over a low heat until it is warm and thick enough.

Pour the sauce over the still-warm steaks.

This goes well with french fries:

About 500grams of potatoes

Peel the potatoes, cut them into french fries.

Then rinse thoroughly in cold water.

Deep fry at 190 degrees Celcius for 6 minutes, then lift them out of the oil. Wait for the oil to reach full heat again (ie 190 degrees) and then put the fries back in for another 2 minutes.

Pull them out after 2 minutes, and salt to your liking.

Disease
04-23-2008, 07:20 AM
Vegetarian Shepard's Pie

2 cans of brown lentils (or 400grms of dried brown lentils soaked)
Massal beef stock (it's vegetarian, you'll find it in coles)
Worcestershire sauce
Gravox powder
5 large potatoes
1 large Onion
3 garlic cloves
Parmesan cheese
tablespoon of olive oil
Water (1 - 3 cups.)

Chop the potatoes in to 6ths and set to boil.

Dice the onion and garlic then add to the oil which you have heated in a pan, stir and brown. add 1 cup of water and the lentils, stir.

Add Worcestershire sauce ( two splashes from the bottle), let simmer.

Mix the stock cube in a cup of boiling water, then add to the mixture and stir.

Let it simmer for about 5 mins, then add a teaspoon of Graveox, just sprinkle it on and mix it through as you add it so it doesn't go lumpy.
add up to 3 teaspoons or untill you are happy with the texture of the sauce, it should not be to thick and should drip of the spoon.

you can always even it out with more water or gravox, (I don't write my recipes down, so this is all from memory)

Let it simmer for a few minutes more while you drain the potatoes. the potatoes should be soft and a knife should go straight through them.

Mash the hell out of them with a quater cup of milk and 1 egg.

Put the oven on to pre heat at 200 dc

turn of the sauce and poor in to a lasagna style baking dish, spread the mash over the top evenly, pushing it down so it doesn't not sit over the edges.

Then grate some parma over the top and put it in the oven, should be ready in 40 minutes, but check it at about 30...

pinkfloyd45769
04-23-2008, 10:11 AM
and for a veggie

[nobody's on a diet...right ]

BROCCOLI & CHEESE CASSEROLE

2 lbs. frozen broccoli, thawed
1 10 3/4 oz. can Cream of Mushroom Soup
1 medium onion, diced
1 lb. med. sharp Cheddar cheese, grated
2 eggs
salt and pepper, to taste
1 pkg. Ritz crackers crushed

Combine all ingredients except Ritz crackers in a large bowl. Mix well. Spoon into 13x9 inch pan. Cover with foil and bake at 350°F for 50 minutes.

Remove foil and sprinkle crushed Ritz crackers on top of casserole.

Bake, uncovered, for an additional 10 minutes or until crackers are golden brown. Let sit for 10 minutes before serving.

My fave food!I never made it this way until a lil while ago.Its great!

hammerfan
04-23-2008, 02:43 PM
When I get back to my office, I'll post a recipe that my boss' wife gave me.

hammerfan
04-24-2008, 05:38 AM
Chicken Supreme

4 Whole Chicken Breasts
3 Cans Cream of Mushroom Soup
3 8oz Sour Cream
2 6oz Stove Top Stuffing

Boil Chicken Breasts till done

Mix the soup and sour cream together. Cut up the chick and mix with the
soup and sour cream. Put the mixture in a baking dish and put the stuffing
on top. Put it in the oven at 350 for 3/4 of an hour.

Vodstok
04-24-2008, 06:11 AM
Chicken Supreme

4 Whole Chicken Breasts
3 Cans Cream of Mushroom Soup
3 8oz Sour Cream
2 6oz Stove Top Stuffing

Boil Chicken Breasts till done

Mix the soup and sour cream together. Cut up the chick and mix with the
soup and sour cream. Put the mixture in a baking dish and put the stuffing
on top. Put it in the oven at 350 for 3/4 of an hour.

now i see what you meant by comfort food in your foodament post... that has "warm and filling" all over it.

hammerfan
04-24-2008, 06:19 AM
now i see what you meant by comfort food in your foodament post... that has "warm and filling" all over it.

Oh yeah, it's definitely that! My boss and his wife make this when they go tailgating at Eagles games.

Vodstok
04-24-2008, 06:43 AM
if they like spicy, have them try the oven fried chicken. i havent tested it yet, but i am willing to bet it can be done on a grill (i may just try that today...)

hammerfan
04-24-2008, 06:44 AM
if they like spicy, have them try the oven fried chicken. i havent tested it yet, but i am willing to bet it can be done on a grill (i may just try that today...)

Thanks, Vod - I'll let them know.

hammerfan
04-09-2009, 05:20 AM
Does anyone have a good recipe for pineapple stuffing?

Rayne
04-09-2009, 05:28 AM
I've never even heard of pineapple stuffing:o

Have you tried http://allrecipes.com/ ?

I've been looking for a GOOD sweet and sour sauce for quite a while...I've tried almost all of the ones I've found on the 'net, but they really aren't any good...I've bought the La Choy from the store, too...Also, no good

I've mixed and matched parts to make my own, but I'm not really satisfied with it...I want it to be the way they make it at the good restaurants...If I could get the recipe from Memories of China (Seri's favorite Chinese restaurant) it would really help...

Papillon Noir
04-09-2009, 05:34 AM
I've never heard of Pineapple stuffing. Is it suppose to be like regular stuffing, but just with the addition of pineapple or a "stuffing" made entirely of pineapple and other fruit or something? like a compote?

Papillon Noir
04-09-2009, 05:41 AM
I've never even heard of pineapple stuffing:o

Have you tried http://allrecipes.com/ ?

I've been looking for a GOOD sweet and sour sauce for quite a while...I've tried almost all of the ones I've found on the 'net, but they really aren't any good...I've bought the La Choy from the store, too...Also, no good

I've mixed and matched parts to make my own, but I'm not really satisfied with it...I want it to be the way they make it at the good restaurants...If I could get the recipe from Memories of China (Seri's favorite Chinese restaurant) it would really help...

I would look online at Barnes and Nobles or Amazon and look for a Chinese cookbook. Most of the online recipes are crap. Crate and Barrel also has an excellent selection and we've never gone wrong with any of theirs.

Cookbooks are also one of those things that you get what you pay for, the cheaper cookbooks tend to be blander in flavor. We've had the best luck with books in the $35 range with good photos. If a book doesn't have any photos, the recipes are usually crap.

hammerfan
04-09-2009, 05:50 AM
I did look online, but thought I would ask if anyone had a "tried and true" recipe for it.

Noir - It's kind of like stuffing with pineapple, but you add in eggs and sugar. It goes really great with ham.

Rayne
04-09-2009, 05:50 AM
Thanks, Noir...I'll start looking through some cookbooks when I'm out...I think people just get used to using the internet for all information sources (I know I do)...Kinda makes you forget about the original solutions...I hate to admit this, but I actually HAVE a Chinese Cookbook...I haven't looked at it in at least 10 years...In fact, I had forgotten about it until just now...Terrible:o

*Gets up to search kitchen for Chinese cookbook*

hammerfan
04-09-2009, 05:51 AM
I'm the same, Rayne. We must have around 50 cookbooks at home. Maybe I should start looking there? :p

Papillon Noir
04-09-2009, 05:56 AM
haha! That's hilarious! Cookbooks are your friends, they will not bite you and throw you in the basement! :p

Rayne
04-09-2009, 05:57 AM
I'm the same, Rayne. We must have around 50 cookbooks at home. Maybe I should start looking there? :p

I strongly suggest this course of action...Considering...I just found TWO Chinese cookbooks in my armoire drawer :D

urgeok2
04-09-2009, 05:58 AM
Does anyone have a good recipe for pineapple stuffing?

i tried to find a picture of a guy having sex with a pineapple - but i failed.

perhaps newb will have better luck :)

hammerfan
04-09-2009, 05:59 AM
haha! That's hilarious! Cookbooks are your friends, they will not bite you and throw you in the basement! :p

When my ex and I were together, my aunt would come and spend a weekend with me when he was out of town. We'd go through cookbooks and make something we'd never made before. Dinner and dessert.......the last one we did still sticks out in my mind - tilapia with asparagus and cashews, and tiramisu for dessert. Yum!

hammerfan
04-09-2009, 06:00 AM
i tried to find a picture of a guy having sex with a pineapple - but i failed.

perhaps newb will have better luck :)

You're so bad! :p

Papillon Noir
04-09-2009, 06:13 AM
tilapia with asparagus and cashews, and tiramisu for dessert. Yum!

That sounds awesome! My husband and I cook almost everynight from cookbooks. We love making things from scratch as they taste so much better and you actually know what's in them.

hammerfan
04-09-2009, 06:15 AM
That sounds awesome! My husband and I cook almost everynight from cookbooks. We love making things from scratch as they taste so much better and you actually know what's in them.

It was a very time consuming recipe, therefore had to be done on a weekend. All fresh ingredients. I had never worked with fresh ginger before, so it was a learning experience.

_____V_____
04-09-2009, 06:50 AM
http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/lolcats-funny-pictures-happy-pineapple.jpg

Holler if you can see it.

hammerfan
04-09-2009, 07:03 AM
ROFL!! That's funny!

Ferox13
10-02-2009, 02:33 AM
I love cooking - well veggie cooking anyway since i have no idea how to cook meat (longpig or otherwise).

So I started to keep recipes I liked or liked the look of with the intent of putting together a scrap book type Cookbook of my (stolen) Recipes. So I started keeping print outs and photocopies etc. Then it came to me I'd photoshop them a bit and make each page a big more personal....

I just started today and I'm still working on the 'look' of it:

Heres some Dips I wanna try:

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a360/ferox-13/CookBook/Cookbook-2.jpg

Also a recipe for the famous Elvis PB sambo:

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a360/ferox-13/CookBook/Cookbook-1.jpg

I hope to keep this up and eventually get it bound :-)

newb
10-02-2009, 03:54 AM
Name it , "To Serve Man".

Any recipes I may know have meat.......I'm very carnivorous.

I'm sure Cheebs can help you out a great deal.

ManchestrMorgue
10-02-2009, 06:53 AM
I have a good recipe for Masoor Dahl

1 cup of red lentils
1/2 brown onion
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp dried corriander
1/2 tsp tumeric
1/2 tsp chili powder
4 cups of water

combine the above, bring to the boil and then simmer for 30 mins covered

Then add :

cook in a frying pan some fresh chili, garlic, and ginger in ghee for 2 mins then add to the above mixture

1 tin of chopped tomatoes
1 tsp salt
olive oil

cook the above covered for 30 mins

Ferox13
10-02-2009, 07:23 AM

1 cup of red lentils
1/2 brown onion
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp dried corriander
1/2 tsp tumeric
1/2 tsp chili powder
4 cups of water

combine the above, bring to the boil and then simmer for 30 mins covered

Then add :

cook in a frying pan some fresh chili, garlic, and ginger in ghee for 2 mins then add to the above mixture

1 tin of chopped tomatoes
1 tsp salt
olive oil

cook the above covered for 30 mins

I do pretty much the same dish but fresh tomatoes and no ginger (i must try that) - and onions are fried with the second part. I just use olive oil - i must try Ghee but its hard for an irish person to buy :-)

newb
10-02-2009, 07:30 AM
I do pretty much the same dish but fresh tomatoes and no ginger (i must try that) - and onions are fried with the second part. I just use olive oil - i must try Ghee but its hard for an irish person to buy :-)

How to Make Ghee (Clarified Butter)

Ghee is 100% butter fat which is used in many oil therapies, healthy cooking and herb combinations. Ghee is salt and lactose free with 14 grams of fat per tablespoon.

Difficulty Level: Average Time Required: 1 hour 30 minutes
Here's How:

1. Melt 2 pounds of organic, unsalted butter at a very low heat.

2. Once melted, slightly increase the heat.

3. Decrease slightly if it starts to smoke or show signs of scorch. Do not let it burn.

4. Remain at this point for approximately an hour checking often but not disturbing it.

5. You will notice milk solids sinking, and foam at the top. Do not disturb this foam.

6. After an hour, let it cool approximately 15 minutes.

7. Carefully skim any remaining foam or floating substances off the top.

8. Filter the remaining clear liquid into a clean white jar. You may use cheesecloth, coffee filter or paper towel as a filter.

9. Cover and store in a cool place.

10. Use with moderation since it is 100% butterfat.
Tips:
1. Do not let it burn. Monitor the process until you get the hang of it. If you see or smell smoke or notice ripples on the surface, turn the heat down.

2. Avoid stirring while the solids are separating.

3. Use wisely, it can increase your risk of coronary artery disease.

4. Your finished product will have a rich golden color and buttery aroma. It will solidify but will not be hard.

_____V_____
10-02-2009, 07:46 AM

Didnt know you were into Indian cuisine, MM. Pleasantly surprised. :)

How to Make Ghee

Surprised again. Newb knows all about ghee! :eek:

Needless to say, I am pretty glad to see two foods from my part of the world popping in here.

Ferox13
10-02-2009, 07:58 AM
I'm really getting in to Indian Style cooking - there is so many non-meat dishes. but I imagine my idea of real indian cooking is like V's version of Cornbeef and cabbage :-)

I love Dhaal and I love paneer dishes too.

But to drag stuff to a juvenile level the word 'Ghee' is the slag here for women's genitalia. Some where cruder than pussy but not as bad as cunt. So going into a shop and asking for Ghee is a weird thing here :-) lol

It was the same in martial arts when we were shown the 'Gi Choke' :-)

But hey lets turn this into a COOKING THREAD....

V could you be so kindas to tell be the different types of Dhal there are and the major differences...cheers..

newb
10-02-2009, 08:01 AM
Surprised again. Newb knows all about ghee! :eek:

au contraire.....newb knows Google

_____V_____
10-02-2009, 08:25 AM
au contraire.....newb knows Google

Had me there.

I'm really getting in to Indian Style cooking - there is so many non-meat dishes.

I love Dhaal and I love paneer dishes too.

Great to hear.

V could you be so kindas to tell be the different types of Dhal there are and the major differences...cheers..

Well I am no expert in our cuisine and my trips to the kitchen are only limited to brewing some hot tea or coffee or making the occasional omelette. But let me try this...

The best and most tastiest is Rahar dal (also called Tuar/Toor/Tuvar dal). Needless to say, its the most expensive too. The seeds of this lentil are about medium sized and almost completely round, and they melt and blend nicely into the preparation if they are boiled well.

http://i569.photobucket.com/albums/ss133/KitchenBarbarian/BarbariansAtTheGate/Dahls/IMGP0012.jpg

Then comes Chana dal. Most of the Chana masala dishes are made using this. It is slightly more coarse than Tuar dal, and has a rough surface. Needs good boiling to get soft and easy to eat. Punjabis sometimes prefer to cook this lentil with its skin on, but its not advisable for those with weak stomachs or digestion.

http://i569.photobucket.com/albums/ss133/KitchenBarbarian/BarbariansAtTheGate/Dahls/IMGP0013-1.jpg

A distant third is Moong dal. Inferior to both its cousins above, its much smaller in size (almost half in size to Tuar and Chana) and is almost tasteless. See this pic to have an idea of how it looks like...

http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww110/fantasy_mall/moongdal.jpg

The prepared dish looks like this...

http://i402.photobucket.com/albums/pp106/vsucharitha/P1000509.jpg

It may end up being a sticky, blended mess if boiled too much. Also, there's no natural taste to moong dal so its advisable to spice it up as much as possible.

Then there's Rajma. These are big lentils, almost identically shaped like beans (kidney-shaped). Almost always cooked with its skin intact, and has great taste. You can either make a dal preparation of it, or deep-fry it with chopped onions and oil to make a splendid dish.

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m221/Saurabh_pratap_album/P153.jpg

In addition to the above, there are plenty of pea preparations - black-eyed peas, yellow and green peas (dried), khichdi (made by mixing dal and rice together), and soups.

And so ends __V__'s cooking lesson 101. I m afraid thats all I know. I m sure Cheeba knows a lot more than me (even though he's an Aussie and I am Indian), because he's a certified cook, and has a great taste for Indian cuisine.

_____V_____
10-02-2009, 08:45 AM
Forgot two other types...essentially the same dal but found in two colored types...

Black - Kala Urad dal... (black beluga lentils)

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c182/vego_squash/DSCN0044.jpg

and Normal colored - Biri dal... (beluga lentils)

http://i569.photobucket.com/albums/ss133/KitchenBarbarian/BarbariansAtTheGate/Dahls/IMGP0011-1-1.jpg

Not in regular use as dals all over India, but mostly in the northern parts especially Punjab. Biri dal is often used to make pancakes after being ground into fine biri flour.

And the one MM mentioned, Masoor dal, is not a very popular choice in India. Its the red-colored lentil, and considered the most inferior in quality and taste. Rahar dal/Tuvar dal is the king, followed by Chana dal and Rajma.

Ferox13
10-02-2009, 09:13 AM
Cheers mate...

Terrible you don't goto the kitchen though :-)

_____V_____
10-02-2009, 09:15 AM
As my wife loves to say..."You are much better off outside of the kitchen than in it."

And thats how it has pretty much stayed from the first day of marriage.

:D

Cheers. Glad I could be of some help.

Here's a link for some info on this, Ferox :- http://hitechpulses.com/product.html

Going back to watching the Australia-England Champions Trophy Semi Final match.

ManchestrMorgue
10-02-2009, 12:17 PM
Didnt know you were into Indian cuisine, MM.

One of my favourite cuisines, along with French and central European (hey there's nothing wrong with variety :D )

Elvis_Christ
10-02-2009, 03:16 PM
Cool idea Ferox!

Everything I cook is pretty simple so I don't really need a recipie to go by :)

I've got a bunch of vegetarian recipies floating about that I haven't tried yet so I'll post some up when I dig 'em out.

cheebacheeba
10-02-2009, 06:22 PM
If your recipes are stolen/copied recipes, just add some touches of your own - that way they're less generic and you know that you've actually made "your version of", could be as simple as adding/altering one or two ingredients.
Just that I think if you're going through the effort to make something of your own, especially if it's something you might pass on to family and friends - make it 100% your own more original creations, experiment with them etc.
IMO, that's all.

The Flayed One
10-02-2009, 08:24 PM
If your recipes are stolen/copied recipes, just add some touches of your own - that way they're less generic and you know that you've actually made "your version of", could be as simple as adding/altering one or two ingredients.
Just that I think if you're going through the effort to make something of your own, especially if it's something you might pass on to family and friends - make it 100% your own more original creations, experiment with them etc.
IMO, that's all.

Excellent advice. I cook a lot, but my specialty seems to be Italian (by frequency of guest request, anyway) I substitute cheeses a lot, especially cream cheese for ricotta, and it always goes over well with my mates. I also got one basic recipe for stuffed mushrooms, and have altered it into many different combinations and flavors.

Ferox13
10-02-2009, 11:47 PM
IMO, that's all.

Yeah My GF was just saying that - so theres ones I've not tried. what I'll do is make amendments and rescan the page with handwritten notes/stickers on it. I never really follow recipes 100% anyway..

cheebacheeba
02-18-2010, 09:34 PM
Now, as much as I'd appreciate the help from all, this time, ideally I'm after an answer from someone who'd had some experience making the traditional form of this recipe...I'd rather avoid anything too processed or packeted, I'm happy to put in the required effort from scratch.
If there's anyone who actually knows a thing or two about it, and doesn't have to refer me to an webpage or cut/paste info from one, I would really like to hear from you on this:

Apple Fool.

Scarebaby
02-19-2010, 01:19 AM
...you want us to tell you how to make this dish but without giving you the recipe? Everything I know about apple fool I've learned from websites.

cheebacheeba
02-19-2010, 02:08 AM
There were these things called books too...
The simple explanation is - It's an old recipe - as I said, on this occasion I would prefer it from someone who's had experience making it, ideally who'd had a recipe handed down and learned it that way or at very least based upon an older more traditional recipe.
There is a difference in these things, methods change, ingredients change, substitutions are made and recipes are lost, their most original forms being handed down as opposed to resourced from random websites.
Not saying there's a problem with those, they just don't fit my purposes at this time.

Thanks for stepping in though, much appreciated.

missmacabre
02-19-2010, 06:53 AM
I don't have experience making it, but I do have a collection of vintage recipe books. I can take a look for you if you like, or if you don't find someone with the particular experience you are looking for.

ferretchucker
02-19-2010, 06:53 AM
Had a look through our oldest cookbook and no mention of it in there. Sorry.

cheebacheeba
02-19-2010, 10:43 AM
All good FC

I don't have experience making it, but I do have a collection of vintage recipe books. I can take a look for you if you like, or if you don't find someone with the particular experience you are looking for.

That would be a bit closer to what I'm looking for, surely.
I don't mind checking that out.

Though people, my call still stands for any generational recipe if possible too.

Ferox13
02-19-2010, 10:53 AM
'I pity the Apple, Fool...'

http://finickypenguin.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/mr-t_bigger.jpg

ferretchucker
02-19-2010, 01:22 PM
Ha! :D:D:D

cheebacheeba
04-17-2010, 06:18 AM
Recipe please, spicy isn't a problem.
Something without any, or too many packaged problems would be nice.

I mean at a guess it looks like the sauce might be made up of butter, some kind of tomato sauce, some kind of chilli(pepper) or hotsauce?
I'm sure there's more to it though.

Method would be nice too.

VampiricClown
04-17-2010, 06:54 AM
Recipe please, spicy isn't a problem.
Something without any, or too many packaged problems would be nice.

I mean at a guess it looks like the sauce might be made up of butter, some kind of tomato sauce, some kind of chilli(pepper) or hotsauce?
I'm sure there's more to it though.

Method would be nice too.

A lot of places around here, actually use about 80-90% hot sauce, and 10-20% butter. The more butter you add, the thicker and less spicy.

I actually have my own wing sauce. Most people don't like it though, due to the heat.

Do not add tomato sauce to it! It tastes like a spaghetti wing. And do fry them. I've smoked them before for some of the places I cook at and cater to, and a lot of them want wing sauce on the smoked wings...until they eat it. Gives it a very sour flavor.

Doc Faustus
04-17-2010, 11:22 AM
Take one buffalo and one chicken. Add some Peter Gabriel and box wine. Make sure you do not use enough box wine to cause impotence or permanent chromosomal damage. Wait through gestation period. I suggest watching every episode of Doctor Who and playing through Final Fantasy 4-7, but hey, it's your life. Examine the litter to see which calves have the firmest juiciest wngs. Remove wings. Cook in sauce of your choosing.

Psycom5k
04-17-2010, 12:05 PM
Frying the wings is best, and VC has got the sauce down, but try grilling them too, its fucking delicious. Also, try seasoning them with curry powder and some cayanne pepper if you grill them, little kick in flavor, and alot in heat.

newb
04-17-2010, 12:24 PM
I have good luck just baking em....350 oven for about an hour or so....slopping on some Franks Hot Sauce and butter and then stick them back in the oven for another 20 minutes.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41smdWYY6lL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

VampiricClown
04-17-2010, 01:07 PM
I have good luck just baking em....350 oven for about an hour or so....slopping on some Franks Hot Sauce and butter and then stick them back in the oven for another 20 minutes.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41smdWYY6lL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Sorry...But baked, mushy wings are no good. Only way to bake them, is to make them really crispy.

Frying the wings is best, and VC has got the sauce down, but try grilling them too, its fucking delicious. Also, try seasoning them with curry powder and some cayanne pepper if you grill them, little kick in flavor, and alot in heat.

Yeah, grilled wings are great. And yes, adding additional peppers/spices is good. Just depends on what you want it to taste like, and how hot. I like mine in the nose-bleed level of heat, so any additional peppers are great...Minus chipotle. Also gives for the bitter/sour flavor.

newb
04-17-2010, 08:26 PM
Sorry...But baked, mushy wings are no good. Only way to bake them, is to make them really crispy.

not "mushy" at all....that's why I put them back in after coating them...nice and crisp.....and less fattening then deep frying them.

cheebacheeba
04-17-2010, 08:26 PM
I actually have my own wing sauce. Most people don't like it though, due to the heat.
If it's due to HIGH heat, I'd give it a go.

I would probably like to grille the wings, crispy.

milktoaste
04-17-2010, 08:30 PM
I use Franks Red hot as well, never had a problem, Frank's also make an Extra Hot- if spicy is really your thing I would strongly recommend it. Keep the fatty side up and crank the heat for the last 20 minutes in the oven. Well, that's how I do em' anyway.

I also really like Parmesan sprinkled after the sauce. It bakes hard and adds texture and flavor.

VampiricClown
04-18-2010, 07:13 AM
not "mushy" at all....that's why I put them back in after coating them...nice and crisp.....and less fattening then deep frying them.

Now see, if you had said that, that makes a difference. I've gotten wings from restaurants before that were baked, and truth be told, a few of them were not fully cooked...Kind of turned me away from those.

If it's due to HIGH heat, I'd give it a go.

I could give you the recipe, but at that point, well...You'd be sleeping with the fishes. ;)

I'm working on getting the exact measurements of ingredients, so that I can get it bottled, and add it to our product line. When I get it done, if anyone wants a bottle of it, let me know.

Deimos
04-18-2010, 12:35 PM
Chrisped with Hot sauce, god I love hot sauce.

Psycom5k
04-18-2010, 06:50 PM
http://jesskoh.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/14074l1.jpg

Me and a couple of friends call this the Cock Sauce, because of the rooster, and how hard it is to actually figure out how to say the damn name right. But yeah, I like to mix this with some Franks Red Hot, Heat from the cock sauce, and flavor from franks. Along with a little bit of garlic infused olive oil along with the butter.

VampiricClown
04-19-2010, 06:27 AM

Me and a couple of friends call this the Cock Sauce, because of the rooster, and how hard it is to actually figure out how to say the damn name right. But yeah, I like to mix this with some Franks Red Hot, Heat from the cock sauce, and flavor from franks. Along with a little bit of garlic infused olive oil along with the butter.

That stuff is really good. Unfortunately, I have been unable to find a store anywhere near me that sells it.

ChronoGrl
04-19-2010, 06:35 AM
Loooooooooooooooooooove Frank's Red Hot sauce. Classic. Quality. Delicious. Easy.

I bake them instead of frying them. They're luscious, not gooey, and delicious.

Frank's Hot Sauce bottle - 12 oz. bottle to about 8 to 10 tablespoons of butter (or 3 parts Frank's RedHot Original and 2 parts melted butter) - I'll add some Tobasco, too because I like hot hot HOT
Melt the butter and hot sauce together for your sauce.
Lay the wings out on a cookie sheet (lined with foil).
Brush them with a little sauce; be sure to put some sauce in a small bowl and do not brush directly out of the pot to avoid raw chicken contamination
Bake 25 minutes, turn them over, brush again with the sauce, and bake another 25 minutes or so.
Put in bowl and pour remaining sauce from pot over wings.

Homemade blue cheese:

Blue cheese
Sour cream
Mayo
Tabasco
Lemon juice

I need to find the measurements - I'll dig them up for you. :)

Looooooooooooove this stuff too - Good call to mix into the buffalo sauce. Good flavor. We keep TONS of it around the apartment and put it on pretty much... Everything.

Roderick Usher
04-19-2010, 09:21 AM
I steam my wings first, then pat them dry, dredge in flour and fry in high heat until crispy, then toss in the sauce which I make with tobasco and butter with a touch or bown sugar.

illdojo
04-19-2010, 12:16 PM

Me and a couple of friends call this the Cock Sauce, because of the rooster, and how hard it is to actually figure out how to say the damn name right

Sriracha huh? I cook with it @ work and home. I've heard pronounced.....Sir..ah..chee. That was from the guy who sold it to me @ the asian market.

Rayne
04-19-2010, 03:03 PM
We have "boneless wings" at my house...I cut boneless chicken breasts into strips, cook them nice and crispy, then drown them in this:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31DQGSS753L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
and put them in the oven under the broiler for a few minutes until the sauce is soaked in good

Psycom5k
04-19-2010, 05:00 PM
Sriracha huh? I cook with it @ work and home. I've heard pronounced.....Sir..ah..chee. That was from the guy who sold it to me @ the asian market.

Yeah, well.... I get mine from walmart. No asians there. I still like calling it the cock sauce.

Looooooooooooove this stuff too - Good call to mix into the buffalo sauce. Good flavor. We keep TONS of it around the apartment and put it on pretty much... Everything.

Chrono dear, I <3 you a little more now.

missmacabre
08-17-2010, 11:09 AM
Highjacking this thread for a Red Velvet Cake recipe. I would just grab one from google but I'm hoping someone here who likes baking and is maybe southern or something would have a tested and loved recipe for me to use for my first attempt. Is it just a chocolate cake from scratch with a whole thing of red food colouring in it, and then cream cheese frosting?

ferretchucker
09-22-2010, 11:00 AM
I've agreed to make my recipe for Bombay potatoes for some Danish visitors to my school on Friday evening. The trouble is, I will have absolutely no time on Friday to do this. The recipe just includes potatoes, a lot of spices, onion, tomato and green pepper as well as oil.

I wondered from those who may have made similar food, particularly our Asian members; how well do these things store? Could I make it on Thursday or even tonight and will it still be good?

Should I refrigerate it or what? Will is store at all? And also I was wondering, will storage of it add to the overall flavour of the potatoes as they marinade? Any help would be appreciated.

cheebacheeba
09-22-2010, 11:20 AM
If you're cooking it on friday, you'd definitely be able to store that in something like tupperware under refrigeration for that period without any problems.
Cooking it the night before...I don't see any problems but it may not be as nice.
An alternative would be a partial cook/steam of your potatoes so that if you needed to cook them on the night and wanted to make quicker work of it, they'd be partially done...in this case there would not be a great deal of difference.
But yes, oil in the mix will likely coat and preserve them, while not allowing them to grey up or anything....as well as many spices having preservative quality.
Just treat with care, keep airtight, keep refrigerated/dark.
Some might suggest storing it in your cooking pot or something made of clay/stone, same conditions.

wufongtan.
09-22-2010, 02:35 PM
Yes. The whole idea of spicing up food, came about because they needed a way to preserve food.

ferretchucker
02-24-2011, 07:14 PM
I thought it would be interesting for us to each have a place to share recipe ideas. They can be lifted straight out of a book, a family recipe passed down through the generations or your own concoctions. I know we have some avid chefs on this site! I'll start with one of my favourite dishes to cook.

Bombay Aloo

Now I'm sure V or Roshiq will probably find that I'm doing something wrong :p but the way I always cook this dish it turns out as a mild potato curry with a fairly thick sauce.

Three potatoes
1.5 Tsp Curry Powder
1 tsp Chilli Powder
1 Tsp Garam Masala
1 Tsp Cumin Seeds or Dried Cumin
0.5 Tsp Dried Ginger OR Fresh grated ginger
2 small cloves Garlic
Water OR Base Sauce (if you know how to make it)
1 Tomato
1 Pepper
1 Onion
2 Tbsp Tomato Puree
2 Tsp Turmeric

1) Cut the potatoes into cubes (of the size you want) and set boiling in water with 1 tsp of turmeric. You want these to be par boiled by the time your sauce is ready so leave yourself enough time.
2) Cut the onions into fairly small pieces and fry until they're JUST starting to brown.
3) Add all of the spices, the ginger and if necessary a little bit more oil. Mix and fry for another minute or two.
4) Cut the tomato into quarters and the pepper into small chunks and add them as well as the tomato puree and garlic. Continue to fry on a fairly low heat until all mixed in.
5) Add the water or base sauce. There are no exact measurements here. I just go with what I feel like at the time. You don't want to dilute all of the flavour but you want to be sure you have sauce enough to cover your potatoes. If you're using base sauce, as it's thicker you can afford to add a bit more - maybe 2 ladles. Cook this, mixing well until warm.
6) Add the potatoes to the sauce and let them cook in it until soft, then serve with a sprinkling of coriander leaf.

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/182690_10150094065188155_565323154_6284218_520199_ n.jpg

The key thing with this recipe is to not burn the spices and not dilute the spices either. I've done both of these things and it really doesn't help the dish at all. It's good to serve one as meal or a few as a side dish. I'm cooking it tomorrow for my lunch so I'll upload a picture.

So come on! Let's hear your recipes!

Ferox13
02-24-2011, 11:47 PM
I'm kinda working on an actual Cannibal Cookbook PDF:

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a360/ferox-13/CookBook/Cookbook-1.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a360/ferox-13/CookBook/HUMUS.png

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a360/ferox-13/CookBook/Cookbook-2.jpg

ferretchucker
02-25-2011, 03:21 AM
I'm kinda working on an actual Cannibal Cookbook PDF:

Perhaps you were joking and I'm just being naive but shit does that look good! If you're actually working on that, what made you decide to do it? Are you designing all of those different page layouts?

wufongtan.
02-25-2011, 06:08 AM
Now I'm sure V or Roshiq will probably find that I'm doing something wrong :

That's a little racist don't you think?

ferretchucker
02-25-2011, 06:17 AM
That's a little racist don't you think?

How so? They're Indian therefore it's fair to assume they would know slightly more about Indian cuisine than me - a small town English boy who's only learned what he knows from cookbooks.

wufongtan.
02-25-2011, 06:43 AM
How so? They're Indian therefore it's fair to assume they would know slightly more about Indian cuisine than me - a small town English boy who's only learned what he knows from cookbooks.

It is like asking a Chinese person about kung fu. Assuming he would know it because he is Chinese. I have a Indian brother inlaw. And that dickhead wouldn't know the first thing about preparing Indian food. I found what you said to be very racist

ceedee1500
02-25-2011, 07:26 AM
FIVE COURSE EVIL BBQ GOURMET MEAL

One whole chicken, sliced open at the spine
two cups PURE apple juice
one cup of fave BBQ sauce
five med. sweet potatoes washed halved leave skin on
garlic clove peeled
2 tablespoons real butter cut into small pieces
SEA salt and fresh ground pepper
roasting pan with lid

CUT, rinse, and pat dry chicken. cut off tail and remove excess fat, place in roasting pan, skin side up.
salt and pepper chicken and rub salt/pepper mix on by hand.
carefully Separate skin from meat with fingers, leaving intact at bottom edges. (like a face lift)
insert butter chunks and garlic all over between skin and meat getting down to leg and thigh and up on breast and wing. close skin at top with wooden toothpicks to keep juices in.

add apple juice to pan and BBQ sauce stir slightly til mixed
add sweet potatoes around chicken, salt and pepper potatoes

BAKE at 425 for fourty-five minutes then reduce heat to 325 and bake an additional fourty minutes and check for browning.
bake until skin reaches desired level of browning(golden brown)can remove lid to help brown
Allow closed pan to settle for ten minutes after removing from oven
remove chicken and taters from pan onto plate.
drain off pan juices into heat resistant container and allow fat to rise.
spoon off excess fat from liquid and use liquid as a thin gravy.
cut chicken into quarters keeping wing on breast and leg on thigh.

MORE COURSES OF FCG EVIL BBQ MEAL

CANNED TURNIP GREENS(serves two)
one can turnip greens into med saucapan or MW
add one tablespoon of real butter
salt and pepper to taste
splash of brown vinegar
cook over med heat til steaming
stir and serve

CANNED PEACHS OR PEARS WITH CANNED STRAWBERRIES with whipped cream
place cans in freezer for thirty minutes
layer of P or P then a layer of S in bowls
top with WC
serve in small bowls apart with meal
ENJOY!

ferretchucker
02-25-2011, 07:52 AM
That sounds pretty damn awesome! What sort of thing would you serve that with, or are the potatoes usually enough?

And I uploaded a photo of the Bombay Aloo /\

Ferox13
02-25-2011, 10:00 AM
Perhaps you were joking and I'm just being naive but shit does that look good! If you're actually working on that, what made you decide to do it? Are you designing all of those different page layouts?

I kinda was photocopying stuff outta books and magazines that I wanted to keep. I just thre them together in those layouts. I'll continue doing it that way. I'm too lazy to get a proper consistan design together. Maybe when I get enough I will start over.

I loke that Elvis Autopsy report - I think finding that sparked the idea...

And I do remember V talking about Indian food here a lot. He did a great thread with some amazing photos..

Damn I'm hungry now..

wufongtan.
02-25-2011, 01:13 PM
I will ignore ferrets obvious KKK comments. And tell you people the bestest most cheapest , cheapest recipe i invented.
Sausage. (Any sort you like )
Pasta (anysort you like )
Pasta sauce ( any flavour you like)
Boil sausages, drain.(You can leave the sausages whole or cut up into pieces. I normally leave whole, when there are a lot of people, that way i know we all get the same amount of sausages. But i prefer them cut up.)
boil pasta, drain.
mix sausages and pasta together add sauce, stir through over stove until as hot as you like, serve.
Aww memories from my poor younger days.

ferretchucker
02-25-2011, 02:41 PM
I kinda was photocopying stuff outta books and magazines that I wanted to keep. I just thre them together in those layouts. I'll continue doing it that way. I'm too lazy to get a proper consistan design together. Maybe when I get enough I will start over.

I loke that Elvis Autopsy report - I think finding that sparked the idea...

And I do remember V talking about Indian food here a lot. He did a great thread with some amazing photos..

Damn I'm hungry now..

Ah, fair enough. I found the Elvis report funny in a macabre sort of way.

And yeah, I think I definitely need to make some sort of meal now :D

ceedee1500
02-25-2011, 06:07 PM
FIVE COURSE EVIL BBQ GOURMET MEAL

One whole chicken, sliced open at the spine
two cups PURE apple juice
one cup of fave BBQ sauce
five med. sweet potatoes washed halved leave skin on
garlic clove peeled
2 tablespoons real butter cut into small pieces
SEA salt and fresh ground pepper
roasting pan with lid

CUT, rinse, and pat dry chicken. cut off tail and remove excess fat, place in roasting pan, skin side up.
salt and pepper chicken and rub salt/pepper mix on by hand.
carefully Separate skin from meat with fingers, leaving intact at bottom edges. (like a face lift)
insert butter chunks and garlic all over between skin and meat getting down to leg and thigh and up on breast and wing. close skin at top with wooden toothpicks to keep juices in.

add apple juice to pan and BBQ sauce stir slightly til mixed
add sweet potatoes around chicken, salt and pepper potatoes

BAKE at 425 for fourty-five minutes then reduce heat to 325 and bake an additional fourty minutes and check for browning.
bake until skin reaches desired level of browning(golden brown)can remove lid to help brown
Allow closed pan to settle for ten minutes after removing from oven
remove chicken and taters from pan onto plate.
drain off pan juices into heat resistant container and allow fat to rise.
spoon off excess fat from liquid and use liquid as a thin gravy.
cut chicken into quarters keeping wing on breast and leg on thigh.

MORE COURSES OF FCG EVIL BBQ MEAL

CANNED TURNIP GREENS(serves two)
one can turnip greens into med saucapan or MW
add one tablespoon of real butter
salt and pepper to taste
splash of brown vinegar
cook over med heat til steaming
stir and serve

CANNED PEACHS OR PEARS WITH CANNED STRAWBERRIES with whipped cream
place cans in freezer for thirty minutes
layer of P or P then a layer of S in bowls
top with WC
serve in small bowls apart with meal
ENJOY!

That sounds pretty damn awesome! What sort of thing would you serve that with, or are the potatoes usually enough?

And I uploaded a photo of the Bombay Aloo /\

It is goode! delicious!
I like turnip greens or baby peas or any thing green and maybe some fruit on the side.

cheebacheeba
02-26-2011, 02:33 PM
I don't really want to contribute, my shit takes too long to type...feel free to use any of my past stuff you can dig up though.

Just thought I'd mention something that's nice, refreshing and unusual:
Fresh watermelon, with finely sliced (fresh) kaffir lime leaves, a drop or two of lemon juice, and freshly ground pepper.
Nice to eat, or great to blend/drink with vodka.

BookZombie
02-27-2011, 04:34 AM
Columbia Potato

5 potatoes
cream
spices
2 eggs
One package of minced meat
two table spoons of butter.

Peel and boil the potatoes in a pot with a bit of salt. Once they have become soft remove the water and crush them until you have meshed potatoes. Add some spices and cream and work on it until it is fluffy.

Fry the minced meat and part it into little pieces in the pan add salt and pepper. Boil the egg and chop it up into bits.

Take a pot, the kind you can put in the oven, a lasagna pot would be perfect, add half the potato to the bottom of the pot, then add the meat and most of the egg, then put the rest of the potato on top of that, decorate with the rest of the eggs. Bake this on about 200c for about 20 minutes, the potato on top is supposed to become golden. Serve hot with a good salad.

FreddyMyers
02-27-2011, 09:02 AM
Hobo Hotdog Mac & Cheese Surprise:
Ramen noodles, of corse
crushed and over cooked to make soft, very lite broth if any
once cooked, add cheese until....well cheesy
add cooked and chopped hot dogs

Poor mans dinner.....

Somethin tells me there could be an entire Ramen Noodle Cookbook thread......

ceedee1500
02-28-2011, 03:23 AM
Hobo Hotdog Mac & Cheese Surprise:
Ramen noodles, of corse
crushed and over cooked to make soft, very lite broth if any
once cooked, add cheese until....well cheesy
add cooked and chopped hot dogs

Poor mans dinner.....

Somethin tells me there could be an entire Ramen Noodle Cookbook thread......
I lived on ramen nootles for a year. I will NEVER eat those horror-ble things again (I hope).
Have gotten away from most processed and prepackaged foods in favor of more healthy and natural types of foods.
GRAIN FED beef is very bad for you(cancers) while GRASS FED beef is a more healthy alternative, yet I still cannot afford a big juicy steak(yum!) so instead I eat more fish and chicken and veggies and fruits and rices. (NO PASTA or wheat products) I do miss my garlic bread.

ceedee1500
02-28-2011, 09:13 AM
Hi all you voracious eaters!
Added a few details and revamped the recipe of "the EVIL CHICKEN BBQ" to make for a better all around meal

Last night I cooked my recipe and found that one MUST adjust cooking time for your BIRD. smaller birds, less cooking time; larger birds, more cooking time. Simple; yes?
I like my yard-buzzard (CHA-COCK!) cooked well; so it's falling off the bone but, not so the breast is dry. Being white meat, the breast tends to dry out faster than the dark meat.
When use-ing the oven; make sure the size of your yard-buzzard(SQUAWK!) and the heat potential of the oven is kept in the FORMULA of cook time. All ovens cook differently, so adjust cook times accordingly.

Know that the bird/taters will continue to cook for ten minutes after removing from the heat.
and enjoy.

BookZombie
03-24-2011, 06:03 AM
This dish is a easy movie snack to serve when having friends over.

Sausage Snacks With Stuff

You will need:

A big package of sausages, any will do but this dish will do better with sausages with a bit of omph to their taste.

An assortment of stuff, paprika, cheese, olives, anything you have really.

A box of sweet and sour souse.

A box of toothpicks.

Do this:

Fry the sausages and then cut them into smaller parts, cut each sausage into four or five pieces. Put each piece on a toothpick. Now add a small piece of paprika, olive, cheese, or vegetable anything really to each toothpick and put the sausage pieces nicely on a serving plate. Open the sweet and sour souse or make or buy a souse that you prefer more and you are done.

Doc Faustus
03-24-2011, 04:46 PM
To anyone forced to consume ramen to survive, please remember the noble banana pepper. Flavor and vitamin C for a pretty reasonable price.

BookZombie
03-25-2011, 03:38 AM
Cemetery Ice Cake

To make the home made ice:

Whip egg and sugar until they are stiff, I would use perhaps 6 eggs for this, though if you are making a smaller cake you might want to go for 4. The amount of sugar you have to taste for yourself.

Whip cream until stiff and then melt chocolate. To melt chocolate put pieces of cooking chocolate in a pot and put that pot into a larger pot filled with water and put it on the stove. Add cream and chocolate together. You might also want to cheat here and just use chocolate sauce. For amount 100 g of chocolate and a quarter of a liter of cream should do it.

Carefully mix cream and eggs together, make sure you do not stir so rough that you loose all that nice air in the eggs. Once you have mixed the two put the bowl in the freezer. Now every fifteen minutes or so you have to stir the bowl to avoid ice crystals. Once the ice have become a rather stiff paste take it out of the freezer and place it in two square cake molds. Put these back into the freezer, check now and again that there are no ice crystals but if the ice paste was frozen enough there should not be a problem. Leave the ice in the freezer until the next day.

Remove the two pieces of square ice cream from the molds carefully. Put one of a plate. Add lots of strawberry jam to it, and by lots I do mean lots, overdo it. Now plop the other cake on top of the other one, the jam should be squished out the sides and run down the cake as if it where blood.

Now take some flat pieces of chocolate and cut them to resemble tombstones, the corners do not have to be exact, write RIP on the tomb stones using whatever cake decorating paste with a small opening in the tube for writing that you have and then add the tombstones randomly to the cake. You can use a bit of melted chocolate to fixate them in place, put the cake back in the freezer until it is to be served and viola you have a cemetery ice cake.

hammerfan
12-30-2011, 06:47 AM
From cheeba talking about cooking in another thread and fearonsarms digging up the "What are you eating" thread, I had a thought: is anyone interested in trading recipes? I'm always on the lookout for a good recipe.

ChronoGrl
12-30-2011, 07:06 AM
I'm really not much of a cook, but this is one of my absolute favorite go-to appetizers when I'm either having friends over or going over to their place. A former roommate of mine called it "Poor man's baked brie." :D

www.food.com/recipe/baked-brie-in-puff-pastry-with-apricot-or-raspberry-preserves-48907

Ingredients:
1 (8 ounce) package brie cheese , round
1/8 cup toasted almond , slices (optional)
1/4 cup apricot preserves
Directions:

Preheat oven to 425.
Lightly grease cookie sheet.
Roll puff pastry out slightly.
Place cheese wheel on top (leave rind on).
Place preserves on top of cheese.
Place almonds on top of preserves.
Bundle Puff Pastry up and around the cheese.
Bake for 20-25 minutes.
Let cool for five minutes.
Serve with your favorite crackers.