PDA

View Full Version : article: ghostly orb on camera

Lord RawK
04-16-2008, 01:45 PM
even i was surprised at the length of certainty these people display in the article. either that or they are decent actors. there's a picture on the page.

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/Ghosts-orb-spooks-club-staff.3981162.jp

Ghostly goings on have spooked staff at a workingmen's club after a mystery light was spotted flying around the bar. Pallion's club steward, Lenny McKitterick, 49, was alone in the office at the end of the night when the paranormal activity started.

Now, Lenny has shown the Echo CCTV footage of the unusual light.

It was midnight when the security camera picked up a glowing orb of light hovering over furniture and floating around the room.

Lenny went to the bar to see what it was, but when he got there the room was dark and quiet.

Lenny said: "When I went back in the office and stared at the screen the thing was flying about all over the shop. It was unbelievable.

"I watched it for about half an hour thinking what the hell is it? After that I'd had enough, I thought I'm going home, this is too scary."

Two hours of eerie CCTV footage shows the centre table in the lounge, surrounded by five chairs, lit up as though a spotlight is shining on it.

But there were no lights on in the room and the blinds
were shut.

A large orb of light appears on the right side of the screen. It moves and changes shape before shooting up to the ceiling and flying over the centre table.

Later on in the night, a ghostly figure appears at the table and sits with its back to the camera, before the light flies through the chair and goes to the men's toilets.

The Working Men's club celebrated its centenary last year and the building itself, thought to have been a railway hotel, is even older.

Cleaning staff at the Merle Terrace club often work alone in the building and are in no doubt the place is haunted.

The cleaners claim when they are on their own in the building, they can hear furniture moving and glasses clinking.

Some staff have dubbed the mystery spirit Arthur and say they are not scared of him.

Other strange activities include the kegs in the cellar of the pub being rearranged.

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/Ghosts-orb-spooks-club-staff.3981162.jp
Credit: Jessica Forster and Sunderland Echo

missmacabre
04-17-2008, 08:13 AM
For the most part, I don't believe orbs are representations of spirits. It's really easy to catch a piece of dust floating through the air on camera, and it looks uspernatural or whatever. There are some pretty interesting examples of coloured orbs and auras and what not but that can be light reflecting off of any coloured object.

Stuff moving around and glasses breaking is a totally different story. I'm by no means a skeptic, but I do like to consider all the possibilities before crying ghost.

Lord RawK
04-17-2008, 12:07 PM
yeah orbs can definitely be deceiving. they could be caused for multiple reasons like you said. this orb supposedly had no cause or reason and was actually lighting up the room in different spots. i am in no way condoning this article as fact. when reading it even i was skeptical in the way the person writing and people being interviewed in it were 100% sure that it was paranormal. question everything and that makes me wonder. the only reason why i bothered posting it was for entertainment value anyway.

ferretchucker
04-17-2008, 12:49 PM
For the most part, I don't believe orbs are representations of spirits. It's really easy to catch a piece of dust floating through the air on camera, and it looks uspernatural or whatever. There are some pretty interesting examples of coloured orbs and auras and what not but that can be light reflecting off of any coloured object.

Stuff moving around and glasses breaking is a totally different story. I'm by no means a skeptic, but I do like to consider all the possibilities before crying ghost.

Me too. Ghost is always the last thing I consider. Orbs prove nothing to me. And as for glasses breaking, I'd have to be there and check around to be sure it wasn't set up. I'm not convinced by ouija boards.

missmacabre
04-17-2008, 01:03 PM
yeah orbs can definitely be deceiving. they could be caused for multiple reasons like you said. this orb supposedly had no cause or reason and was actually lighting up the room in different spots. i am in no way condoning this article as fact. when reading it even i was skeptical in the way the person writing and people being interviewed in it were 100% sure that it was paranormal. question everything and that makes me wonder. the only reason why i bothered posting it was for entertainment value anyway.

Yeah it was definately entertaining. I get a kick out of things like that. Every Hallowe'en I visit several local "haunted" places. Some are more fun than others but only the one really intrigues me.

The first is the haunted tunnel. There are a million different stories surrounding it, but the main factors are that a girl was being chased by someone and fled into this tunnel and at some point before or after reaching the tunnel she was burnt really badly and died there. So if you go into the tunnel and light a match or lighter it will blow out. Some people say they hear screams. I just think those things could happen because of the wind in the tunnel.

Second is Hopkin's Tomb. A tomb at a nearby cemetery where a pirate was buried. Some people say you can hear a dog howling from inside or someone knocking from inside. It's also apparently cursed because there are tons of stories of people going near, or mocking the curse and they have died, been in accidents, lost businesses etc usually 2 weeks after doing so. I've never heard any dogs howling and my take on the curse is that you attract bad things to yourself by thinking there might be a curse.

The one I really like is Fort George. They give hallowe'en tours that are just awesome and I get so freaked out. If anyone ever goes, try to get Kyle as a tour guide. There are all sorts of hauntings there and it's just a great creepy time.