PDA

View Full Version : WAYYYYYY overrated horror movies?

buddy
01-19-2004, 03:23 AM
personally i never saw what the big deal was about pumpkinhead. any others? i'll try to think of some more..

avenger00soul
01-19-2004, 06:35 AM
I like Pumpkinhead. Now Pumpkinhead 2.......

mudsliptones
01-19-2004, 07:52 AM
resident evil

I like it, but everyone kept saying, awesome zombie movie
hell, give me dawn of the dead!!!

Je Suis Phnomne
01-19-2004, 08:11 AM
Freddy vs Jason

Everyone I talked to said it was the shit, well I thought it was too, I just doubt our definitions were the same ;)

The premise for the movie was good, special effects were good too, but all in all I thought the movie sucked, even worse that I actually bought it.

mudsliptones
01-19-2004, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by Je Suis Phnomne
Freddy vs Jason

Everyone I talked to said it was the shit, well I thought it was too, I just doubt our definitions were the same ;)

The premise for the movie was good, special effects were good too, but all in all I thought the movie sucked, even worse that I actually bought it.

same mistakes as res evil, to mainstream, everything is these days

btw, your avatar rules

Je Suis Phnomne
01-19-2004, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by mudsliptones
same mistakes as res evil, to mainstream, everything is these days

exactly, though I have to admit I did find Resident Evil more entertaining, and have no problem watching it again when I catch it on. But FvJ aside from the classic one liners, and the boiler fight scene, pretty much blew, I literally finished watching it thinking to myself, what the hell did I buy that for. AND who can I pawn it off on for a trade lol

btw, your avatar rules
thx

downside
01-19-2004, 10:44 AM
The Ring

There were no real action or horrifically scary moments, in my opinion. It's hype made me see it, but when the movie ended, I couldn't help feeling like I was just power torqued from behind by the media and mainstream.

Popcorn King
01-19-2004, 10:46 AM
The Scream films. I kept hearing how great these movies were, and how they were the "salvation" of the horror genre.

What a bunch of crap (on both counts.)

Signs515
01-19-2004, 10:49 AM
I got one that probably a lot of people will disagree with, Dawn of the Dead. I'm sorry but this movie just didn't do it for me, I was so happy that I found it in the video store but 2 hours later I found myself quite disapointed. I can put up with movie that are slow at some points but my god this one just dragged on and on. I enjoyed Night and Day but this one was just not good. Also I thought there was just too much humor, I like the dark feeling I had watching the other two but Dawn just seemed like a happy go lucky movie where the characters were just having some fun running around the mall.

KRUGERKID13
01-19-2004, 10:50 AM
the ring and resident evil i can agree with.
Freddy vs jason on the other hand hell that movie was great i mean todays movies are all remakes or rip offs. Freddy vs jason on the other hand nothing like thats been done in ove 40 years and it wasnt done to this callibar.

other over rated films
wrong turn
hannibal
jeepers creepers

KRUGERKID13
01-19-2004, 10:54 AM
then there are the scream films which are genius. It redefined terror and slasher films if you think about it. For instance in halloween you had michael myers in a white mask. Now could that mask be bought at the time, no. Then you have freddy kruger whos face was burnt kno were there a lot of burnt serial killers running around at the time, no. Then scream came along the character was wearing what is know known as a scream mask. This mask had been available for years. That makes you have to wonder who can i trust. it could be him or it could be him. so dont diss the film unless you get what he was going for.

overrated film: blair witch project

Popcorn King
01-19-2004, 11:06 AM
so dont diss the film unless you get what he was going for.

I am well aware of what he was "going for"; I understood the attempted satire, the self-referential comments, the "wit"...it just didn't work at all (IMO.)

But apparently your bar for what constitutes genius is far lower than mine....

Jason Hodder
01-19-2004, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Popcorn King
The Scream films. I kept hearing how great these movies were, and how they were the "salvation" of the horror genre.

What a bunch of crap (on both counts.)

I have to agree with this. The first Sream had potential to be good but you knew who the killer was at the beining & then they spent the rest of the movie making you think it wasn't him. The only reason I saw the third was to finish off the series. I was very upset with this series.

Also, I Know What You Did Last Summer was pretty bad. And the second was even worse.

Can't agree w/The Ring. It wasn't supposed to be scary in regular terms. It worked on a psycological level. No tell me anyone who saw Ring didn't jump the second your phone rang after the movie ended. I know I did.

avenger00soul
01-19-2004, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by KRUGERKID13
so dont diss the film unless you get what he was going for.

This is just an opinionated thread. I don't think he dissed the film b/c he didn't understand what it was going for. It's just his opinion.

Je Suis Phnomne
01-19-2004, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by KRUGERKID13
the ring and resident evil i can agree with.
Freddy vs jason on the other hand hell that movie was great i mean todays movies are all remakes or rip offs. Freddy vs jason on the other hand nothing like thats been done in ove 40 years and it wasnt done to this callibar.

other over rated films
wrong turn
hannibal
jeepers creepers

Im not questioning the idea behind the movie, and no in my 30 years I cant recollect anything like it. I just "personally" felt the movie was executed poorly, I enjoy NOES films as well as F13, and this combo had mad potential. I just felt it came up short.

horrorfellow
01-19-2004, 07:43 PM
I'm so desperate for them, it's hard for me not to like any horror movie, but for all its hype I found Deep Red a little slow at times. The romance got on my nerves and David Hemmings running around in a leisure suit seemed silly. Although it did have some great scenes like the marbles and the gloves and the ventriquest dummy and the amazing ending.

BTW I thought all three Scream movies, although not brilliant were a lot of fun and The Ring really scared me, so I was happy.

I know some people think Day of the Dead was a little slow, but i think that's because of the way they really built up the characters,so you cared about them, which I enjoyed and found moving.

bloodygurl02
01-19-2004, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by horrorfellow
I'm so desperate for them, it's hard for me not to like any horror movie, but for all its hype I found Deep Red a little slow at times. The romance got on my nerves and David Hemmings running around in a leisure suit seemed silly. Although it did have some great scenes like the marbles and the gloves and the ventriquest dummy and the amazing ending.

BTW I thought all three Scream movies, although not brilliant were a lot of fun and The Ring really scared me, so I was happy.

I know some people think Day of the Dead was a little slow, but i think that's because of the way they really built up the characters,so you cared about them, which I enjoyed and found moving.

i wasn't a big fan of scream 3. but the ring IMO i thought was good.

Charlie
01-19-2004, 09:44 PM
the original TCM