PDA

View Full Version : This may sound stupid, but I'm serious

Rayne
04-06-2008, 05:49 PM
I need to figure out what makes a song 'Our song'

If you're married, or in a relationship, could you please tell me what song you and your significant other consider to be 'your song', and how it became 'your song'?

The first place Dustin and I ever went out was to a club. Dustin says the song that was playing the first time we danced, is one that still always makes him think of me, and remember that night.

Would this be considered 'our song', even though we weren't in love at the time?

How do couples determine what 'their song' is?

I mean, I don't think people usually just say, "Hey, let's decide what 'our song' should be"...

Dante'sInferno
04-06-2008, 06:01 PM
The song would have some signifigance.So if he says that when it comes on.That could be both of yours song,for him.But you two should pick out a song together,one you can both agree on. BTW!!!!

I think it's so cute.:p

Despare
04-06-2008, 06:17 PM
My wife and I heard that "From This Moment" song every time we turned on the radio together at least three times in a row. It was an odd coincedence that made that song "our" song. With other serious girlfriends we just picked a song we both really liked usually heh.

Rayne
04-06-2008, 06:17 PM
I think it's so cute.:p
Cute? EWWWW...lol

Just kidding, thanks :)

Rayne
04-06-2008, 06:21 PM
My wife and I heard that "From This Moment" song every time we turned on the radio together at least three times in a row. It was an odd coincedence that made that song "our" song.
Ahh, yeah...That's what I think, that it's probably something that just kinda 'happens', ya know?

Like the first song we danced to...I had mentioned it to him long before we ever went out...He knew I really liked it...Then we get to the club...Hanging out with my friends near the dance floor (I was still introducing him to everyone)...Then voila, that song just happened to start playing.

newb
04-06-2008, 07:20 PM
When I met my wife she was into Disco....i'm talking Village People, Donna Summers, type shit....I was listening to Skynyrd,Zeppelin,Sabbath music.....we never clicked with "our song"

been married 25 years

never needed a song:D

Elvis_Christ
04-06-2008, 07:22 PM
Think mine and my girl's would have to be some random Melvins tune or something...

ferretchucker
04-07-2008, 02:54 AM
A song that was playing at an important stage in your relationship. Maybe when you first kissed, first went on your date or first said you love each other. And Yeh, I think Dustin has it right because the song makes him think of you. However, if the song is just a song to you, maybe it shouldn't be your song.

Phalanx
04-07-2008, 03:34 AM
This may sound stupid, but I'm serious
You? Serious? :eek:
Yeah, that does sound stupid...:o

RE: the song thing...never really had one.
We've both got songs we both like, but yknow...can't say
either of us are really traditional romantics...could be why, but
we just tend to overlook traditions like these.

Not saying you should or anything, just stating our case.

jaybomb
04-07-2008, 05:13 AM
My soon to be wife and i consider Love Of My Life by Dave Matthews and Carlos Santana our song

Doc Faustus
04-07-2008, 05:27 AM
When the song comes on it's almost reptilian for you. There is no thinking involved, merely a sudden need to just curl up and be that one thing you are together. When my girlfriend and I were just friends, I lent her my favorite album, Blood on the Tracks by Bob Dylan. As we sat and talked in her room, and the song Simple Twist of Fate came on, we locked eyes for several seconds and she didn't understand why. The more we listened to the album, the more frequently it happened. After getting together, we listened to the album again and when Simple Twist of Fate came on, we just couldn't resist curling up together and disappeared into the words , in spite of the song's tragic ending. Over time, the same thing happened with Nick Cave's Straight to You, but the experience with Simple Twist of Fate was electric and irresistible. That's in my opinion, how you know a song is yours.

Roderick Usher
04-07-2008, 08:04 AM
My wife likes to belt out "Loving You" in a squeeky, high falsetto. I fucking hate it, so I guess that's our song.

It doesn't have to be the sweetest thing in the world, just the song that is hopelessly tied to your lover...

btw, we just celebrated our 11th anniversary!

missmacabre
04-07-2008, 08:15 AM
My wife likes to belt out "Loving You" in a squeeky, high falsetto. I fucking hate it, so I guess that's our song.

It doesn't have to be the sweetest thing in the world, just the song that is hopelessly tied to your lover...

btw, we just celebrated our 11th anniversary!

congrats, rod.

For my boyfriend and I our song is Lovers in a Dangerous Time. The Barenaked ladies version, not Bruce Cockburn. It became our song when I was staying the weekend at his dorm room and he had online class work to do. He had to listen to this Bruce Cockburn song and analyze the lyrics. I told him that BNL covered a song of Bruce's and we listened to it and the lyrics fit so nicely. Then when he was on his way home for Christmas break, Lovers in a Dangerous time came on the radio and he called me just to let me know. it was very sweet.

Rayne
04-07-2008, 01:16 PM
When I met my wife she was into Disco....i'm talking Village People, Donna Summers, type shit
I got to THAT part when "You can ring my beh- eh- ell..." started playing in my head...lol

RE: the song thing...never really had one.
We've both got songs we both like, but yknow...can't say
either of us are really traditional romantics...could be why, but
we just tend to overlook traditions like these.

That's pretty much how it is with us...I never even thought about it, until Seri brought it up...She asked me "What is your and Dustin's song"...I told her I didn't think we had one...She said I was lame...lol (Then she offered up 'Stacy's Mom'...Nice, huh? :rolleyes: )

@Doc...I was thinking along those lines...That it should be something unexpected and meaningful like that...Excellent answer...I enjoyed reading it...Thank you :)

THAT made me laugh out loud (for real) :D

And...CONGRATULATIONS!...That's awesome

Then when he was on his way home for Christmas break, Lovers in a Dangerous time came on the radio and he called me just to let me know. it was very sweet.Aww, that's so sweet...Now I think maybe I want an 'our song'...lol

Who knows?...Maybe someday it'll 'just happen'

Thanks for ALL of your answers, everyone....This was very interesting to me.

stubbornforgey
04-07-2008, 02:18 PM
I need to figure out what makes a song 'Our song'

If you're married, or in a relationship, could you please tell me what song you and your significant other consider to be 'your song', and how it became 'your song'?

The first place Dustin and I ever went out was to a club. Dustin says the song that was playing the first time we danced, is one that still always makes him think of me, and remember that night.

Would this be considered 'our song', even though we weren't in love at the time?

How do couples determine what 'their song' is?

I mean, I don't think people usually just say, "Hey, let's decide what 'our song' should be"...

If the lyrics make u stop and think of ure partner.
if the tune alone makes u hum and smile ..then all of a sudden u remember a phrase or a silly comment ure partner once sed ..
if one day u hear a tune and u both stop for a second and look directly at each other.
If you feel like the lyrics were written just for u..or u feel the singer is singing just for u and ure partner.
The song that makes me fall deeper and deeper in love with my silly egyptian is Barry White can't get enough of your love.

Just like how u feel in ure heart ..this is the partner for u
then so will the song

isn't love crazy?

illdojo
04-07-2008, 06:09 PM
My now ex-girlfriend Beth and I just split after 2 years. A few songs that remind me of her are....
"Hey Hey What Can I Do" - Led Zeppelin
"Classic Girl" - Jane's Addiction
"Mexico" - Incubus

The STE
04-07-2008, 06:26 PM
All couples' "song" is "In Your Eyes" by Peter Gabriel. It's an unwritten rule, except I just wrote it now.

Dante'sInferno
04-07-2008, 06:28 PM
My ex's song to me is Reptile by NIN.

massacre man
04-07-2008, 06:54 PM
Well, I don't know what officially makes a song THE song. But I have a pretty good idea of what I would want the song to be if the girl I was interested in the moment actually had any interest in me. "Everlong" brings her to mind every time I hear it.

mungojerrie
05-03-2008, 11:35 AM
i've been married for 16 years and we only recently found our song, "she's my ride home" by blue october. the first time we heard it there was no doubt, it's our song.

Vodstok
05-03-2008, 06:21 PM
My ex's song to me is Reptile by NIN.
I love the song, but eek....

the opening line alone makes that very disturbing