PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Dollar/Cheapie Video Purchases

crabapple
03-30-2008, 08:45 AM
I hate spending more than a dollar on a movie. Twenty or thirty or more is a lot and I'll spend that much only on something really special. Every once in a while I will buy something at the regular price but--usually--I'll try to find it used.

OR, my favorite thing is to look through the shelves at the local 99 cents store because sometimes, a real good movie will show up. Very often, it's a cheap way to check out a movie that I haven't seen, and sometimes the investment pays off.

Like FANGS OF THE LIVING DEAD...bought it for a dollar and it ended up being a favorite vampire flick of mine! Very watchable little low-budget gem. What are your favorite cheapie purchases??

jenna26
03-30-2008, 09:05 AM
We pick up quite a few of those ourselves. My favorite so far has probably been a 9 movie collection that we picked up for 8 dollars (I think) that has Pieces, which I had heard about for some time but was never able to see. But we have picked up a few at the dollar store that we just haven't watched yet. That's where we got Dungeon of Harrow, which I have been meaning to watch for months now but something else always seems to comes up.

Despare
03-30-2008, 09:06 AM
My favorite so far has probably been a 9 movie collection that we picked up for 8 dollars (I think) that has Pieces, which I had heard about for some time but was never able to see.

The Blood Bath set, GREAT cheap set.

jenna26
03-30-2008, 09:22 AM
The Blood Bath set, GREAT cheap set.

The one we have is called Cult Horror Collection, also has Don't Look in the Basement, Deep Red (which I think I have on three sets now...LOL), Memorial Valley Massacre, Horror Rises from the Tomb, and a few others. The Blood Bath set I haven't heard of until now, will check it out, I might already have all the movies in the set at this point.

Despare
03-30-2008, 09:24 AM
The one we have is called Cult Horror Collection, also has Don't Look in the Basement, Deep Red (which I think I have on three sets now...LOL), Memorial Valley Massacre, Horror Rises from the Tomb, and a few others. The Blood Bath set I haven't heard of until now, will check it out, I might already have all the movies in the set at this point.

Yeah Blood Bath I got for $4.99 and it have Devil's Nightmare, Pieces, Kill Baby Kill, and Kiss Me Kill Me on it.

jenna26
03-30-2008, 09:30 AM
Actually I don't believe I have the other three, if I can find it that cheap I will definitely grab it.

_____V_____
03-30-2008, 10:59 AM
I bought a very good VHS copy of Corman's Galaxy of Terror for 0.99 a couple years back. It was in pristine condition and still has very decent audio-video quality.

Considering I had never seen it before (although catching a glimpse on late night TV once for a few minutes), I instantly fell in love with it.

Also picked up the recent Cthulhu movie on DVD for a buck awhile back at a yard sale. Quite a decent 45-minute movie, that one...and the DVD was good too.

missmacabre
03-30-2008, 11:08 AM
I bought that nice version of Profondo rosso for a dollar. All my other DVDs were purchased at half price (anywhere from 7-8 dollars) excluding Audition which was hard to find and I bought for $20.

Doc Faustus
03-30-2008, 05:39 PM
Carnival of Souls for a dollar. Good value. Nekromantik for five dollars on Ebay. Also a good value.

Dude Guadalupe
03-30-2008, 05:48 PM
I got a dvd with "The last man on earth" and "The devil's messenger" for a dollar just before Christmas.

I was pretty happy with that.

The Mad Monk
03-30-2008, 06:10 PM
Carnival of Souls for a dollar. Good value.

That's the equivalent of about 50p in British money, which is less than for a can of Coke! A great price for any film, but fantastic for one which is revered as a classic of the genre (although not as widely respected as some of the films which were later influenced by it). I saw Carnival of Souls for the first time about a week ago actually.

neverending
03-30-2008, 06:25 PM
We pick up quite a few of those ourselves. My favorite so far has probably been a 9 movie collection that we picked up for 8 dollars (I think) that has Pieces, which I had heard about for some time but was never able to see. But we have picked up a few at the dollar store that we just haven't watched yet. That's where we got Dungeon of Harrow, which I have been meaning to watch for months now but something else always seems to comes up.

I got Dungeon of Harrow at a $1 a couple of years ago- I read up on it and it was supposed to be very shocking, controversial, etc- and the copy I bought was just a mess. It was obvious it had been heavily edited and all the good parts were missing.

Very disappointing.

Elvis_Christ
03-30-2008, 06:37 PM
Picked up The Fog, Monkey Shines, Lost Highway and Wheels of Fire for a grand total of $5 on VHS the other day.
Most of my collection was picked up on the cheap (cuz I'm a poor boy :( ). Have to post pics of my imfamous VHS collection one day haha

_____V_____
03-30-2008, 07:33 PM
Someday...I m coming over there and stealing all of em.:)

Elvis_Christ
03-30-2008, 07:40 PM
Someday...I m coming over there and stealing all of em.:)

It'd be the last thing you'd ever do my friend :)

_____V_____
03-30-2008, 07:41 PM
It'd be the last thing you'd ever do my friend :)

Yep, the last steal. Cuz after that they ll be MINE.;)

Elvis_Christ
03-30-2008, 07:43 PM
Yep, the last steal. Cuz after that they ll be MINE.;)

Haha I'd like to see you try, especially after the prick of a time I had carting them to my new pad awhile back!

The Mothman
03-30-2008, 07:45 PM
leys see... the only movie i ever found for a dollar was I, Zombie, but it was a VHS, and my vhs player ate it immediatly and destroyed the tape. shitty old tv...

_____V_____
03-30-2008, 07:51 PM
Haha I'd like to see you try, especially after the prick of a time I had carting them to my new pad awhile back!

new pad? Thats rad, dude!

I need to see a pic of it.:cool:

crabapple
03-30-2008, 09:49 PM
I got a dvd with "The last man on earth" and "The devil's messenger" for a dollar just before Christmas.

I was pretty happy with that.

Ha ha ha! I watched that double-movie DVD about a week ago. I had never seen "Devil's Messenger" and--actually--I thought it was a lot of fun. Chaney Jr. is always good, even when he's in a cheeseball movie.