PDA

View Full Version : Wedding

Papillon Noir
02-26-2008, 06:27 AM
So I got engaged to my boyfriend of 2 1/2 years two months ago and I am in the midst of trying to plan a wedding. Planning a wedding is one of the hardest things I've ever had to do, as there is so much that goes into it and everything is really expensive. And I mean stupid expensive, everything seems to start at $1000 and they charge you for every little thing.

So to save money, we are trying to cut some corners and do things ourselves. So far I am making my own dress, doing all the invitations by hand, and all the centerpieces. We are even having the event on a Thursday evening (that saved us $3000 right there). We cut out the DJ, cut the guest list to 50, and tried to cut out the photographer and the cake, but that got vetoed by the parents.

So I was wondering if any of you have gotten married or was close to someone who did, and what you/they did save some money, but still made it special (and no we can't elope :) ). The whole wedding will be in a garden outside, at night.

Despare
02-26-2008, 06:36 AM
So I got engaged to my boyfriend of 2 1/2 years two months ago and I am in the midst of trying to plan a wedding. Planning a wedding is one of the hardest things I've ever had to do, as there is so much that goes into it and everything is really expensive. And I mean stupid expensive, everything seems to start at $1000 and they charge you for every little thing.

So to save money, we are trying to cut some corners and do things ourselves. So far I am making my own dress, doing all the invitations by hand, and all the centerpieces. We are even having the event on a Thursday evening (that saved us $3000 right there). We cut out the DJ, cut the guest list to 50, and tried to cut out the photographer and the cake, but that got vetoed by the parents.

So I was wondering if any of you have gotten married or was close to someone who did, and what you/they did save some money, but still made it special (and no we can't elope :) ). The whole wedding will be in a garden outside, at night.

We had an outdoor reception and used a local caterer that was very reasonable. Fortunately for me, my father-in law took care of a lot of the cost. I guess it was just finding local people that saved us money though, including the DJ who worked a lot of the taverns and bars in the area as well as worked for a local radio station. My aunt also made our wedding cake for us as her gift (she did them professionally) which helped out a lot. We made our own centerpieces and these made GREAT favors http://jellybelly.com/Cultures/en-US/Shop/CandyDetails.htm?CS_ProductID=1005365&CS_Category=Weddings&CS_Catalog=B2C

Wish I could be more help! What really made it special was friends and family all pitching in and helping with decorating, flowers, and pretty much every other aspect of the whole deal.

ChronoGrl
02-26-2008, 06:42 AM
a. CONGRATULATIONS

b. Photographers are stupid expensive. If you live near a college or university that has an art/photography program, see if you can have one of the students take the photographs for you. It'll be great experience for them (to add to their budding portfolio), and you get great looking pictures at a fraction of the price.

c. Cakes are also stupid expensive. Buy a pretty cake for decoration (and to cut). If you're having a big reception, buy cheap sheet cakes to feed everyone else. Having a Wedding Cake that will feed a small army cost tons. Feed 'em sheet cake and they'll be happy.

d. I want to see this homemade wedding gown. That is ridiculously cool.

Despare
02-26-2008, 06:45 AM
b. Photographers are stupid expensive. If you live near a college or university that has an art/photography program, see if you can have one of the students take the photographs for you. It'll be great experience for them (to add to their budding portfolio), and you get great looking pictures at a fraction of the price.

d. I want to see this homemade wedding gown. That is ridiculously cool.

I agree with d.

AND

My sister-in law is a photographer and was able to hook us up with a couple people she knew who were also photographers that were amazingly cheap The student idea is great but don't stop there, check out people who work at portrait studios doing things like senior photos. Generally they could use the extra money, are already trained and have graduated from school, and as CG said... are looking to expand their portfolio.

_____V_____
02-26-2008, 06:45 AM
We had an outdoor reception and used a local caterer that was very reasonable. Fortunately for me, my father-in law took care of a lot of the cost. I guess it was just finding local people that saved us money though, including the DJ who worked a lot of the taverns and bars in the area as well as worked for a local radio station. My aunt also made our wedding cake for us as her gift (she did them professionally) which helped out a lot. We made our own centerpieces and these made GREAT favors http://jellybelly.com/Cultures/en-US/Shop/CandyDetails.htm?CS_ProductID=1005365&CS_Category=Weddings&CS_Catalog=B2C

Wish I could be more help! What really made it special was friends and family all pitching in and helping with decorating, flowers, and pretty much every other aspect of the whole deal.

Same here.

I remember all my family members pitching in to do even the smallest stuff. We had a grand gala party at home and all the aunts, uncles, cousins, friends, long-lost relatives etc. etc. were running left and right. My eldest aunt baked the huge wedding cake with the help of the caterers (she was their boss back then, and that helps!), and it was a total family affair.

If you got a lot of pitch-in help from your friends and family, the wedding can be rather inexpensive...and fun. Congrats, and good luck.:)

knife_fight
02-26-2008, 07:36 AM
Like everyone else said, try and find people you know who do the things you need done. I'm sure you know at least one person who is really into photography.
We got lucky b/c a lot of our friends do screen printing so they printed our invitations for a fraction of the cost, plus they looked really great b/c they were hand-screened.
We also got some friends to be the photographers/wedding coordinators.

anyway, the bottom line is to exploit all your friends' varied talents.

jenna26
02-26-2008, 08:13 AM
anyway, the bottom line is to exploit all your friends' varied talents.

:p Pretty much, yeah.

We had a VERY small wedding at my parents house. My husband's parents took the pictures, and the video. My father actually took care of my wedding ring, its my late grandmother's, he thought I should have it, so he had it repaired and sized for me (and its absolutely beautiful). My mom's best friend took care of all of the flowers. My mom took care of all of the food. Really, we were lucky that so many people just pretty much took over...LOL....I loved the idea of being married, but for someone as clumsy and weird as me, let's just say I would have preferred if we could have eloped. My grandmother just wouldn't have it though. But it turned out beautifully, it was sweet and simple. My dress was the most expensive part of it all really.

Papillon Noir
02-26-2008, 10:56 AM
Thank you all for your suggestions. :)

I will definitely try the art student route for photography. There are actually two good art schools nearby, though the wedding is in July, so hopefully the students are local enough.

Unfortunately, I am the most artistic and crafty of my friends, so I don't really have that artistic friend to rely on because it's me! :p The only other friend of mine that is somewhat artistic does jewelry and she's started teaching me how to make jewelry. So I got the jewelry for myself and my wedding party covered. I need to make friends who do catering though. :D

As for the dress, I just bought the fabric last weekend and since my mom is helping me fit it (which mean we are doing it on her schedule), but when it is done I will be sure to post some pictures :)