PDA

View Full Version : Top five cover songs?

avenger00soul
01-15-2004, 11:45 AM
What are your top five favorite cover songs?

avenger00soul
01-15-2004, 12:20 PM
Well, since no one else is going...

Don’t You Forget About Me-Life of Agony
White Wedding-The Enkindles
People are Strange-Echo and The Bunnymen
Message in a Bottle-Machine Head
Wicked Game-by both Today is the Day and Him

Ritualistic
01-15-2004, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by avenger00soul

Wicked Game-by both Today is the Day awesome choice Zero the Hero - Cannibal Corpse is my fav

Arioch
01-15-2004, 01:50 PM
People are Strange-Echo and The Bunnymen

One of the best covers ive ever heard, still like it better than the original.

awesome choice Zero the Hero - Cannibal Corpse is my fav

LMAO i nearly shit a brick the first time i heard this one. Crazy to hear them cover a song.

nightbreed
01-16-2004, 10:47 AM
sweet dreams - marilyn manson
in league with satan- six feet under
white wedding- murder dolls
fuck the police- dope, although rage against the machine does a fine job as well
the man who sold the world- nirvana

Ritualistic
01-16-2004, 01:02 PM
Demons Night - Cannibal Corpse is good too :-)

Arioch
01-16-2004, 04:16 PM
Planet Caravan - Pantera (one of my favs)

Oh and i agree on the Manson cover nightbreed.

avenger00soul
01-16-2004, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Arioch
Planet Caravan - Pantera (one of my favs)

That would have made my list easily if I didn't put the limit of 5, as well as Anthrax's cover of London.

The_Return
01-15-2005, 08:38 AM
http://fotofon.cathexes.net/archives/bump01.jpg

Sweet Dreams and Tainted Love, both by Manson

evil_deadman
01-15-2005, 09:55 AM
1.Turn the page=Metallica
2.Radar Love=White Lion
3.Sweet Leaf=Godsmack
4.Cars=Fear Factory
5.Nobodys Fault=Testament

The_Return
01-15-2005, 09:59 AM
OOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOO

How'd I forget Rebel Yell- HIM ???!!!???

damage_plan
01-15-2005, 10:07 AM
The Badge-Pantera
Planet Caravan-Pantera
War Pigs-Faith No More
Gold Dust Woman-Hole
Boys of Summer-The Ataris

Marroe
01-15-2005, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by The_Return
OOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOO

How'd I forget Rebel Yell- HIM ???!!!??? I kinda dig their version of Wicked Game.

I like all of the covers on Project 1950, and Korn's Version of Another Brick in the Wall is growing on me. I want them to do a cover of Fat Bottom Girls:D

Hate_Breeder
01-15-2005, 11:22 PM
Rendezvous with Anus-HIM (Turbonegro Cover)
The First Cut Is the Deepest-HIM (Cat Stevens Cover)
Solitary Man-HIM (Neil Diamond Cover)
Lovesong-311 (The Cure Cover)
Riders on the Storm-Ween (The Doors Cover)

The_Return
01-17-2005, 10:28 AM
Time After Time- Uncle Kracker [Cindy Lauper cover, I think]

urgeok
01-21-2005, 01:28 AM
like a virgin - lords of the new church (madonna)
Boogie Wonderland - boys VS girls (earth wind and fire)
wreck of the edmund fitzgerald - rheostatics (gordon lightfoot)
wish you were here - wyclef Jean (pink floyd)
everyone's a winner - bootsauce (hot chocolate)

Sedated_replica
01-21-2005, 10:10 PM
ummm.... crap?

knife_fight
01-22-2005, 01:51 AM
"first cut is the deepest" is actually an old reggae song recorded first by Lee Scratch Perry (I think). and yes, that one bitch who redid it should be shot.

here's a few covers I like:

Time After Time- Action Patrol (yeah, Cyndi Lauper did it)
Dirty Old Town- the Pogues (Dubliners cover)
Round and Round- the Meat Purveyors (RATT cover)
Land of 1000 Dances- the Cherry Valence (Wilson Pickett)
Satisfaction- Otis Redding (duh)

Sedated_replica
01-22-2005, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by knife_fight
"first cut is the deepest" is actually an old reggae song recorded first by Lee Scratch Perry (I think). and yes, that one bitch who redid it should be shot.

"First cut is the deepest" was written by Cat Stevens. (My girlfriend says). Cherly Crow redid his verison.

bloodrayne
01-22-2005, 05:33 PM
Marilyn Manson...I Put A Spell On You....I also loved the way he did the Willy Wonka Boat Song, but I didn't care for his version of Tainted Love, I still think Soft Cell did it best...

I love just about everything that VNV Nation covered, especially Covenant's We Stand Alone...As well as Black Tape For A Blue Girl's covers of Major Tom and Paint It Black

Everyone seemed to really like Johnny Cash's cover of Hurt...But, I still love the way Trent did/does it...

majorbludd
01-22-2005, 07:40 PM
CODE BLUE-BOUNCING SOULS(TSOL)

EASY-FAITH NO MORE(LIONEL RICHIE)

INAGADDADAVIDA-SLAYER(IRON BUTTERFLY)

urgeok
01-23-2005, 05:22 AM
Originally posted by Sedated_replica
ummm.... crap?

well, i obviously dont think so or i would have posted it in a 'least 5 favorite covers' thread ?

newb
01-23-2005, 06:10 AM
The First Cut is the Deepest was indeed written by Cat Stevens. It was a hit for PP Arnold in Britain in 1967, reaching #18 in the charts. Stevens never released his original version as a single, as he felt PP Arnold's rendition was a definitive version.

urgeok
01-23-2005, 06:26 AM
wasnt it bonnie tyler/taylor ???

that also did a cover .. an anoying one .. ?

did Rod Stewart cover it too .. or am i getting confused because she sounded like him . ?

Hate_Breeder
01-23-2005, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by newb
The First Cut is the Deepest was indeed written by Cat Stevens. It was a hit for PP Arnold in Britain in 1967, reaching #18 in the charts. Stevens never released his original version as a single, as he felt PP Arnold's rendition was a definitive version.

Nevermind..

Sedated_replica
01-24-2005, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by urgeok
well, i obviously dont think so or i would have posted it in a 'least 5 favorite covers' thread ?

Don't think your the only one. Everyone likes crap! :)

Jason Hodder
02-07-2005, 09:32 AM
All I have to do is pop in Iced Earth's Tribute to the Gods to get some of the best covers I have ever heard.

SlayerShel
02-22-2005, 05:12 PM
The Donnas - Livin' After Midnight

The STE
02-22-2005, 06:42 PM
Hurt - Johnny Cash
Mad World - Gary Jules
Come Together - Aerosmith
Hallelujah - John Cale
Llorando - Rebekah del Rio (cover of Crying by Roy Orbison)

Sedated_replica
02-22-2005, 09:44 PM
I'll agree with STE besides
Come Together - Aerosmith.

the beatles did that way better.. Aerosmith is hella lame

lee challenger
02-23-2005, 06:58 AM
METALLICA = Breadfan

METALLICA = Am I Evil

GUNS N ROSES = Word Up

GUNS N ROSES = Knocking On Heavens Door

JUDAS PRIEST = Green Manalishi

Sedated_replica
02-23-2005, 09:12 PM
Wow those are all really bad.

A cover has too be better than the original artists verison or just as good.

GUNS N ROSES - Knocking On Heavens Door is so much worse than Dylan's verison

X¤MurderDoll¤X
02-23-2005, 09:25 PM

GUNS N ROSES - Knocking On Heavens Door is so much worse than Dylan's verison

I don't agree.

Jimi Hendrix - All along the Watchtower (another Bob Dylan cover done way better)

I'll think of 5 songs later, all I can think of now is Fuck the Police by Rage against the Machine.

Sedated_replica
02-23-2005, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by X¤MurderDoll¤X
I don't agree.

Jimi Hendrix - All along the Watchtower (another Bob Dylan cover done way better).

Don't agree with what exactly?

I'll agree with Hendrix did a great verison of "watchtower"

But Bob Dylan is the fuckin' man.

lee challenger
02-23-2005, 11:45 PM
Hey c'mon!
Metallica's riffs on those covers just destroy everythingin their path and James Hetfield's vocals just shred.They make the originals sound so weak and tinny.
Any Priest fan will tell you that their version of Green Manalishi is a metal classic.
Slash's guitar playing also breathes new life into any cover that Guns N Roses ever did.

Sedated_replica
02-24-2005, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by lee challenger
Hey c'mon!
Metallica's riffs on those covers just destroy everythingin their path and James Hetfield's vocals just shred.They make the originals sound so weak and tinny.
Any Priest fan will tell you that their version of Green Manalishi is a metal classic.
Slash's guitar playing also breathes new life into any cover that Guns N Roses ever did.

You listen too really bad music. You seem like a nice guy, why do you even listen too metal? Its really shitty and its all just pointless anger.

Axel Rose is a total douche bag and James Hetfeld has the worse singing voice ever.... well besides Axel's.

I guess Priest is alright... if you like dudes in leather. whatever gets you're kicks

knee jerk
02-24-2005, 01:35 AM
Hey sedated, even though I couldn't care less about meeting Ian McKaye, I gotta give you props!
I fully agree that Hetfield and Axl are the two worst singers in the world. They are put to shame by William Hung.
That's right.
You heard me.

urgeok
02-24-2005, 04:53 AM
burt bacharach makes everything above sound like children warbling in the sandbox ..

this man is THE MAN !

X¤MurderDoll¤X
02-24-2005, 05:38 AM
You listen too really bad music. You seem like a nice guy, why do you even listen too metal? Its really shitty and its all just pointless anger.

haha you're such a moron, it's great.

The STE
02-24-2005, 11:33 AM
Aerosmith is hella lame

Booooo! :mad:

BlackWolf
02-24-2005, 02:14 PM
Mad World- Gary Jules(Tears For Fears)
Sympathy For The Devil-Guns N' Roses(The Rolling Stones, I like them both about the same)
Another Brick In The Wall Pt. 2- Korn(Pink Floyd, like the original better but I really like the cover as well)
Last Kiss-Pearl Jam(J. Frank Wilson And The Cavaliers)
I can't think of a 5th one maybe I will later:D

urgeok
02-24-2005, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by The STE
Booooo! :mad:

well, aerosmith didnt start out lame but they sure headed that way later.

Sedated_replica
02-24-2005, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by knee jerk
Hey sedated, even though I couldn't care less about meeting Ian McKaye, I gotta give you props!

Ian Macaye is my idol. Its like meeting you're favorite musican, so it was a HUGE deal for me.

But you're too cool for any of that shit. :cool:

and Murderdoll, if you're gonna call me a moron. Please explain how metal is not just pointless Anger?

Shallow little goth girl... :o

lee challenger
02-25-2005, 05:03 AM
Hey Sedated,
Don't judge a person on his/her's favourite music. I can be a nice guy and like heavy metal.Also just because you may not like a certain type of music don't preach to others about it.
The thread asked for a person's 5 best covers and not a debate on what is and what isn't 'shitty' music as you put it.
What I find strange is the comment about metal being full of aggression.How come you're on a horror site then?What can be more aggressive,violent and disturbing than horror?
Also hard rock and the heavy metal genre have been linked with horror/fantasy/sci-fi for the last 40 years so it is pretty normal for a horror fan to also be into heavy metal.

BlackWolf
02-25-2005, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by urgeok
well, aerosmith didnt start out lame but they sure headed that way later.
I loved thier last album "Honkin' On Bobo" they seem a lot better when they are sticking to blues based records. now that I think about it that album was all covers of old blues songs, and since i did not think of a 5th song, I pick the whole record instead(can I do that?):D ;)

IDrinkYourBlood
02-25-2005, 10:23 AM
Guns N Roses cover of Sympathy for the Devil

Sedated_replica
02-25-2005, 12:26 PM
Hey Sedated,
Don't judge a person on his/her's favourite music. I can be a nice guy and like heavy metal.Also just because you may not like a certain type of music don't preach to others about it.
The thread asked for a person's 5 best covers and not a debate on what is and what isn't 'shitty' music as you put it.
What I find strange is the comment about metal being full of aggression.How come you're on a horror site then?What can be more aggressive,violent and disturbing than horror?
Also hard rock and the heavy metal genre have been linked with horror/fantasy/sci-fi for the last 40 years so it is pretty normal for a horror fan to also be into heavy metal.

I gotta stop... its pointless. its a bad habit I got.

I hate SO MUCH music, I take music so seriously because its my life. It pays my bills and keeps me content (sometimes).

Gun N Roses and Metallica fans have always pissed on my music.
(Nirvana, Sonic Youth, Fugazi, The Pixies. and much more)

Its Stereotypical relating Metal to Horror. Just like Basketball to Rap music.

As you can tell I'm full of aggression but its "anger with a cause".... least for me it is. but it has no point because no one sees it any other way besides they're own.

lee challenger
02-26-2005, 12:18 AM
Hey Sedated,
Maybe you should listen to metal then to help get rid of all that aggression because I don't have any unnecessary anger or aggression in me at all and I listen to metal everyday.
It must be therepeutic.No disrespect to Nirvana as I like some of their stuff and I think Dave Grohl is one of the top guys in rock around today but Nirvana's music isn't exactly cheery and uplifting is it.It all seems so suppressed whereas a metal band just lets it all out and gets rid of any pent up feelings.
I agree it is stereotypical to say that about metal and horror but it is fact that the two cultures frequently intertwine.
It also helps to have an open mind.Although hard rock/heavy metal is my first love I also have a lot of time for Joss Stone,Alicia Keys,Texas and I can even enjoy Pink and Christina Aguilera.

knee jerk
02-26-2005, 11:11 AM
Hey sedated.... I know what its like to meet an idol.
I met Bob Mould several years ago and he was cool as shit. He was even nice to the asshole who was standing next to me who kept trying to bait him into saying something rude about Grant Hart (former band member from Husker Du).
I also met Jason Priestly from "90120." I was in NYC and went to a Rangers hockey game and he was sitting right next to me, getting loaded with 3 super-hot girls. And he was cool too, if you can believe that!
I wanted to call him Luke Perry but I didn't have the heart.

Hate_Breeder
02-27-2005, 11:59 AM
Metallica can suck my johnson

Sedated_replica
02-27-2005, 07:11 PM
.Although hard rock/heavy metal is my first love I also have a lot of time for Joss Stone,Alicia Keys,Texas and I can even enjoy Pink and Christina Aguilera.

What the fuck! Shut the fuck up!

out of all those bands, you've only heard Nirvana.. :rolleyes:

Metallica does suck big ass penis.

Why do I even try.? I have anger because retards buy these stupid fuckin' albums and put these fuckin' idiots on t.v.

Fuck Joss Stones, Fuck Alicia Keys, Fuck Texas and REALLY FUCK PINK AND CHRISTINA ARUILERA!

BH14
02-27-2005, 07:59 PM
sedated--- You dont know anything about MUSIC!! Who the hell are you to say Metallica and Guns and Roses stinks??!! What have you done? Nothing... You are a know it all in everything I see... Get outta here, Chump. If you are playing music and making money (you prob eating ramen noodles every day in a refrigertor box), that tells where the music industry is going... DOWN DOWN DOWN!! I would bet we all would prefer Brittney Spears and William Hung duet over your "crap music".

X¤MurderDoll¤X
02-27-2005, 08:01 PM

Fuck Joss Stones, Fuck Alicia Keys, Fuck Texas and REALLY FUCK PINK AND CHRISTINA ARUILERA!

Don't forget to fuck yourself.

BH14
02-27-2005, 08:09 PM
it says list your top 5 and Sedated just comes in and bashes everyone's taste in music... must you be an a$$ in every single thread you go into?? you need to get laid so bad and let that aggression out. rub one out to your favorite horror movie if you please. But from your attitude, you maybe a 13 yr old who gets picked on in school and feel tough on computer. Waste of Space

majorbludd
02-27-2005, 08:52 PM
YEAH!! YOU GO MULLETHEAD!!

Sedated_replica
02-28-2005, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by BH14
it says list your top 5 and Sedated just comes in and bashes everyone's taste in music... must you be an a$$ in every single thread you go into?? you need to get laid so bad and let that aggression out. rub one out to your favorite horror movie if you please. But from your attitude, you maybe a 13 yr old who gets picked on in school and feel tough on computer. Waste of Space

I'm 13 years old because I fuckin hate you're shitty music and shitty threads?:rolleyes: I should just agree with all you retards

I disagree with everyone? How about STE or Hate_breeder?

you're sticking up for Joss Stone,Alicia Keys,Pink and Christina Aguilera. Besides Alicia Keys aren't REAL musicans.

You probably couldn't even play a instrument to save you're life... well maybe you could play some of you're crappy metallica covers on guitar to look cool at "guitar center".

My music is crap. wow, thats funny because you never heard it.... you're not a ignorant assface at all. :rolleyes:

You sir, might as well grow a mullet and drink some beer yourself because your no smarter than those people.

lilknivesguy
03-04-2005, 06:20 AM
Ignoring the adolescent flame-fest of previous posts, I propose

1. Bauhaus - Ziggy Stardust
2. Type O Negative - Day Tripper / If I Needed Someone / I Want You (She's So Heavy)
3. Rob Zombie - Children of the Grave
4. Nine Inch Nails - Dead Souls
5. Johnny Cash - Thirteen

Hard to pick just five, but a cover song should be a unique, sometimes better interpretation than the already superb original. And I tried to pick 5 with a "horror" theme, be it overt reference or mere camp.

Sedated_replica
03-04-2005, 01:49 PM
I like Johnny Cash - Thirteen.

But its not a cover because Danzig never did the song himself, right? He only wrote the song. well, thats what my friend told me.

lilknivesguy
03-05-2005, 08:48 AM
I like Johnny Cash - Thirteen.

But its not a cover because Danzig never did the song himself, right? He only wrote the song. well, thats what my friend told me.

You got me there. It was technically not a cover when Cash recorded it for American Recordings in 1994, but Danzig later did go on to record it in 1999 for his own 6:66 Satan's Child album.

Does that still make it a cover?

Hmmm. Well, how about Johnny Cash doing "Hurt"? I gotta get the man in black on the list somehow!

Angra
03-05-2005, 10:29 AM
Abba´s "Gimme, gimme, gimme" performed by Sinnergy

"Mr. Sandman" performed by Blind Guardian

Helloween´s "Guardians" performed by Rhapsody (Have waited for a cover version of this song for sooo many years):D

Kate Bush´s " Wuthering Heights" performed by Angra

"Got the time" performed by Anthrax

Elton John´s "Love lies bleeding" performed by Dream Theater

Sedated_replica
03-05-2005, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by lilknivesguy
You got me there. It was technically not a cover when Cash recorded it for American Recordings in 1994, but Danzig later did go on to record it in 1999 for his own 6:66 Satan's Child album.

Does that still make it a cover?

Hmmm. Well, how about Johnny Cash doing "Hurt"? I gotta get the man in black on the list somehow!

I'm the fucking music master!

ItsAlive75
03-05-2005, 02:16 PM
I'm the fucking music master!

I thought you were the "master of cheez wiz":D

Sedated_replica
03-05-2005, 07:14 PM
"Cheez master" is in my spare time.

I fight crime like batman

Elvis_Christ
03-12-2005, 08:21 PM
Nailbomb - Exploitation (Doom)

Destroy All Monsters - These Boots are Made For Walking (Nancy Sinatra)

Anything The Cramps cover (esp. Lonesome Town and Domino)

The Dictators - I got you babe (Sonny and Cher)

and some other shit I can think of now.

barbra
03-12-2005, 08:31 PM
lola
bikini kill

Elvis_Christ
03-13-2005, 08:42 PM
^^ Hahaha! I'll have to check that out. Bikini Kill were a fucking awesome band.