PDA

View Full Version : Undead

livin_dead_88
01-07-2004, 11:21 AM
I'm read this book about Vampires, the name of it is 'Vampires, Encounter with the Undead' by David skal.
My question is how can something be Undead?
Its either dead or alive,
take a vampire for example in a way its living and not dead, to me dead is when you dont move, your in a box (or whatever countaner you prefer) your under 6ft of dirt, and your not breathing. A vampire moves, its in a box (but it can get out of it on its own, its not under ground, And it can breath whenever it wonts to, not to mention it can do whatever it wonts as long as they are not out in the sun.
What do you thin Undead means?

VampRocker
01-07-2004, 11:23 AM
That's just it, a vampire is "undead," which means he's dead...but can still move around and "live."

Yeah, that was the worst explanation ever...

C'mon, it's all make believe anyways, damnit!

livin_dead_88
01-07-2004, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by VampRocker
That's just it, a vampire is "undead," which means he's dead...but can still move around and "live."

Yeah, that was the worst explanation ever...

C'mon, it's all make believe anyways, damnit!

to true, but it still and interesting concept
plus just think off all the crummy books that we would have to read with out vampires, there are very few good books.

predfan
01-07-2004, 08:38 PM
umm i thinnk undead means when someone dies and is brought back to life, but part or all of their soul/mind is missing. although for ghosts, i guess they still have their soul, but its disconnected from their body. :confused:

Dr.Kelvinstein
01-08-2004, 12:20 AM
No such thing as vampires. Go with it. The Skal book, by the way, is THE vampire anthology. "If you could only own one..."

heapodd
01-10-2004, 02:34 PM
I looked up the word in a dictionary (note to self - get a life) and this is the definition:-

No longer living but supernaturally animated, as a zombie.

I think the word "undead" is quite cool - but then I'm a bit strange.

cheers

headpodd

livin_dead_88
01-11-2004, 02:12 PM
Arnt we all a little strange, I find the subject completely fasinating, but thats just me and my undead
living dead is just like undead, pretty cool name dont you think

Vodstok
01-27-2004, 12:06 PM
undead is a descriptive term, at any rate, and therefore doesnt follow the traditional rules of english, the same with living dead.

I suppose if we wanted a truly, technically correct term, we could say "Animate Dead", as in animated. As opposed to the spell in D&D.

Very good question, by the way. I hadnt really given the term much thought.