PDA

View Full Version : kwaidan?

swiss tony
03-30-2007, 04:25 PM
i have the opportunity to buy this for £14.30. i've wanted it for a while. is it worth it?

Angra
03-30-2007, 04:55 PM
For $5 yes.

It's totally outdated and not scary at all. It's quite easy to see that most of the movie is taking place at a studio set. A little like watching a theatre play.

zwoti
03-31-2007, 07:18 AM
i have the opportunity to buy this for £14.30. i've wanted it for a while. is it worth it?

if it is the new masters of cinema release.

Angra
03-31-2007, 07:25 AM

Why?

What's special about that one?

zwoti
03-31-2007, 07:29 AM
Why?

What's special about that one?

apart from the 80 page book that comes with it

"For the first time in the West, The Masters of Cinema Series is proud to present the complete 183-minute original Japanese cut of Masaki Kobayashi's Kwaidan — one of the most meticulously crafted supernatural fantasy films ever made.

This complete print incorporates 21 minutes of footage never before released to Western audiences. Over forty years on, Kobayashi's film remains an unparalleled achievement."

swiss tony
03-31-2007, 04:29 PM
apart from the 80 page book that comes with it

"For the first time in the West, The Masters of Cinema Series is proud to present the complete 183-minute original Japanese cut of Masaki Kobayashi's Kwaidan — one of the most meticulously crafted supernatural fantasy films ever made.

This complete print incorporates 21 minutes of footage never before released to Western audiences. Over forty years on, Kobayashi's film remains an unparalleled achievement."

that may very well be but, does it make an impact and is it worth spending about $25 on it?

Riff
04-01-2007, 12:51 AM
The book it's based off of is brilliant, and I saw a great stage show of it once, but I've yet to see the movie...

swiss tony
04-02-2007, 01:01 AM
The book it's based off of is brilliant, and I saw a great stage show of it once, but I've yet to see the movie...

maybe i should just read the book if the movie is getting dated. it's cheaper!

Doc Faustus
04-03-2007, 12:53 PM
Kwaidan has a lot going for it. And as for the accusation of datedness, it's only dated if you're watching it for FX or a scare. If you're willing to enjoy Japanese folklore and bask in a cool atmosphere, it's worth the money. Kwaidan isn't pure horror, but what it is worth it. It's well shot, atmospheric, eerie and very unique.

swiss tony
04-03-2007, 03:02 PM
you're starting to sway me back. god i'm so fickle. oh well, the proof of the pudding etc,etc

Angra
04-06-2007, 01:22 PM
you're starting to sway me back. god i'm so fickle. oh well, the proof of the pudding etc,etc

You're swiss, your´re rich.

Just buy the stupid movie already and get it over with.

zwoti
04-06-2007, 02:27 PM

remember

pieceofshitcharacterrule

swiss tony
04-06-2007, 05:41 PM
You're swiss, your´re rich.

Just buy the stupid movie already and get it over with.

why be so pushy? you've changed my mind again. what-to-do what-to-do.

Angra
04-07-2007, 02:22 PM
why be so pushy? you've changed my mind again. what-to-do what-to-do.

Excellent.

Mission accomplished. :cool: