swiss tony
03-28-2007, 03:21 PM
if the knowledgeable could recommend some movies in this category excluding:
koma
a tale of two sisters
ringu trilogy
ju on 1 & 2
ghost
the type of thing i loved was session 9. so, j horror equivalents would be of interest

AsylumSeeker
03-28-2007, 06:12 PM
You might also like Nightmare.

swiss tony
03-29-2007, 12:36 AM
thanks for the info guys. lets narrow it down to your favourite one. i'll take nightmare from asylum and whispering corridors from '67. pick one dave, but don't make it spider forest as i'm already getting that one.

slayer666
03-29-2007, 02:41 AM
From Dave's list, I'd pick The Eye.

swiss tony
03-29-2007, 07:18 AM
the eye? another that always crops up. another from daves list is bunshinsaba. what do you know about that one? and can you rate it using the 5 star system employing the discretionary use of halves? merci

AsylumSeeker
03-29-2007, 12:56 PM
I liked Bushinsaba (Witchboard), too. I'd say 4.25 out of 5.00. Revenge flick about schoolgirls who are constantly picked on and use the witchboard/ouija board to call up the spirit of a girl who died like 30 years before to get vengeance on them.

swiss tony
03-29-2007, 02:25 PM
alright, thanks. is the film witchboard a remake of bunshinsaba. hope not. i already watched u.s. ring before j version.

swiss tony
03-29-2007, 02:35 PM
just watched premonition. as i said in the recent movies section, its a nice little supernatural tale. without SPOILING it too much, its all about the ending. a lot of j horrors are like that it seems. they just build atmosphere at their own pace and then *WHAM*, they knock you on your ass with a mind twisting finale. brad anderson and stephen gevedon, of session 9 fame, must have been japanese in another life

Riff
03-29-2007, 05:27 PM
Both the Eye films are solid. Inner Senses isn't bad.

swiss tony
03-30-2007, 01:29 AM
thanks for all the recommendations. i'll be coming straight back to this thread in the next week or two for a shopping list. in the mean time i have about 10 dvd's that need watching including -
audition
imprint
ichi
zombie trilogy
ju on2
ringu 2&3
devils backbone
black christmas
candyman
reincarnation
don't look now
the prestige
actually more than i thought. i also have some martial arts movies on the way. the weekend should take care of at least three of these

swiss tony
03-30-2007, 04:12 PM
let me know what you think of reincanation and imprint and ichi i get a kick out of what people say when they first see these gems .

just watched ichi. it was unbelievably good. if it was in english it would be on the same level as fight club or seven. a great bloodthirsty crime movie. the scene with the hooks, needles and tempura will languish in my sub-conscious for a while. perhaps i'll watch reincarnation or audition tomorrow night. :)

neverending
09-20-2007, 12:34 PM
I just watched Eye 2 last night- it's part of Comcast's Fearnet offerings. I haven't seen the first one, but I really enjoyed this movie. Ghosts are trying to come back to life by entering babies in women's wombs. Really creepy. Not much gore, if that's what you're looking for, but tons of atmosphere and psychological undertones. Very well done, IMO.