PDA

View Full Version : Best Sequels

Despare
03-06-2007, 08:35 PM
I'm sure this has been done before (even in a tournament) but since there's a new thread for worst sequels and because I was inspired by the all time greatest movie thread I decided to open the discussion again. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly is one of the all time greatest sequels and probably my favorite sequel to a movie.

_____V_____
03-06-2007, 08:55 PM
Technically, the Good, the Bad and the Ugly cant be considered to be a sequel. Simply because A Fistful of Dollars and For a Few Dollars More are entirely different stories. Leone refers to em as his western trilogy, but apart from them being westerns and Eastwood in all of em as The Man with No Name, there's nothing linking all 3 stories even remotely.

(remember Lee Van Cleef played a good guy in For A Few Dollars More, but was the Bad guy in The Good, The Bad and the Ugly)

I d say the best horror sequel I ve seen would be a toss-up between Halloween II and Aliens. Although, being a Halloween fan, I d lean towards Halloween II.

Overall, my all time fav sequel is The Empire Strikes Back. That is one movie which was actually miles ahead than the original.

Matrix Reloaded was awesome to watch too.
Terminator 2: Judgement Day is another great movie.

Nice thread Des. I m sure I ll think of more later on...

Despare
03-06-2007, 09:10 PM
Technically, the Good, the Bad and the Ugly cant be considered to be a sequel. Simply because A Fistful of Dollars and For a Few Dollars More are entirely different stories. Leone refers to em as his western trilogy, but apart from them being westerns and Eastwood in all of em as The Man with No Name, there's nothing linking all 3 stories even remotely.

You're right but they're done in such a similar style... I'll consider them a trilogy until the day I'm buried in the dirt (maybe even after that) lol. It's one case where the sequel really benefits from being a different story but I digress, tha validity of my choice is easy to argue. :)

Ok, here's an overlooked one I think: The Road Warrior

mordrid
03-06-2007, 09:14 PM
Halloween 2
Scary Movie 2 (the scene where one of the Wayans brothers drags the clown under the bed with a streched penis makes it worth it)
Stars Wars Ep 5 Empire Strikes Back

_____V_____
03-06-2007, 09:20 PM
You're right but they're done in such a similar style... I'll consider them a trilogy until the day I'm buried in the dirt (maybe even after that) lol. It's one case where the sequel really benefits from being a different story but I digress, tha validity of my choice is easy to argue. :)

One can think of them as sequels if the character of Man with No Name is taken as the common factor. Maybe he rode into the town near the Mexican border in Fistful, then became a bounty hunter in More, and finally rode into the story of TG, TB & TU. Same person, 3 stories.

Eastwood himself had said in an interview that he considered the character of Preacher in Pale Rider as "The Man With No Name coming out of self-retirement", although he dressed differently as Preacher.

I never saw Pale Rider as an extension of the Leone Trilogy though.

Despare
03-06-2007, 09:23 PM
One can think of them as sequels if the character of Man with No Name is taken as the common factor. Maybe he rode into the town near the Mexican border in Fistful, then became a bounty hunter in More, and finally rode into the story of TG, TB & TU. Same person, 3 stories.

Eastwood himself had said in an interview that he considered the character of Preacher in Pale Rider as "The Man With No Name coming out of self-retirement", although he dressed differently as Preacher.

I never saw Pale Rider as an extension of the Leone Trilogy though.

You can't see it but I'm nodding.

_____V_____
03-06-2007, 09:32 PM
OOPS...I overlooked 2 of my all time fav horror movies...Dawn of the Dead & Evil Dead 2. Between them and Halloween II & Aliens, I d choose ED2, then Dawn a close 2nd, Halloween II, then Aliens.

Puppet Master II was kinda better than the original. Ginger Snaps 2 was good too.

More recently, POTC2: Dead Man's Chest was kinda good too. Rocky III was the best in the entire Rocky series IMO.

_____V_____
03-06-2007, 09:33 PM
Batman Returns is another.

bwind22
03-06-2007, 10:37 PM
Dawn of the Dead
Day of the Dead
Halloween 2
Friday the 13th 2
Evil Dead 2 (Even though it's more of a remake than a sequel)
Army of Darkness

Despare
03-06-2007, 10:43 PM
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust

Unaboner3000
03-06-2007, 10:45 PM
I think the best sequel ever (not just horror) has to be Jim Cameron's ALIENS. It is absolutely perfect. Scary as hell, great plot, great actors, fast-paced action. And over 20 yrs later, this movie is still as amazing as it was in 1986.

I also think that is a bit unfoturnate that this film followed Ridley Scott's ALIEN. Had Jim Cameron never made the sequel, I think ALIEN would easily be considered the best horror film of all time. But Jim's film certainly throws a wrench into that argument. :)

roshiq
03-06-2007, 10:50 PM
The Devil's Rejects
F13: part 2
Final Destination 2
M.I: 2
Desparado

Despare
03-06-2007, 10:52 PM
Another pseudo-sequel but, Creepshow 2.

bwind22
03-06-2007, 11:13 PM
I totally forgot about Psycho 2. It's severely under-rated, but still one of my faves.

Unaboner3000
03-06-2007, 11:16 PM
I totally forgot about Psycho 2. It's severely under-rated, but still one of my faves.

Oh heck yea. I haven't seen this film in years, but I remember it being quite good. While the original is truely a masterpiece, the sequel is maybe one notch below. Certainly worth watching if anyone hasn't seen it yet.

DP McCoy
03-07-2007, 01:42 AM
BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN!!!
Also-
Aliens.
Evil Dead II.
Toy Story 2.
Hot Shots part Duex.
Austin Powers.The Spy Who Shagged Me.
The Colour of Money.
Batman Begins.
Superman II.
Dawn of the Dead.

bwind22
03-07-2007, 04:30 AM
The Colour of Money.

???

What was The Color of Money a sequel to?

horrormad
03-07-2007, 07:24 AM
Dawn of the Dead
Day of the Dead
Halloween 2
Friday the 13th 2
Evil Dead 2 (Even though it's more of a remake than a sequel)
Army of Darkness
in evil dead 2 the scene in the cellar shows a freddy glove. the reason is evil dead is on a tv in nightmare on elm street.

Roderick Usher
03-07-2007, 08:17 AM
???

What was The Color of Money a sequel to?

It was a sequel to The Hustler which is one of my all-time favs!

Godfather II

X-Men 2 (better than the original and TONS better then #3)

Jason X

Terminator 2

Despare
03-07-2007, 08:35 AM
Jason X

I thought I was the only one alive who liked Jason X...:eek:

_____V_____
03-07-2007, 08:43 AM

You thought wrong, Des.;)

For all the bashing X gets from everyone around, I firmly stand behind it and say...it was one of the better sequels in the entire F13 series.

Posher778
03-07-2007, 11:44 AM
Godfather Part 2...

SCREAM 2! People hate this movie, but it's great.

DP McCoy
03-07-2007, 01:52 PM

Yep I like it too.

swiss tony
03-07-2007, 02:12 PM
carlitos way:rise to power, butch and sundance:the early years, slapshot2, hellraiser4, exorcist2, the return of the king, troy2: achilles takes manhatton

DP McCoy
03-07-2007, 02:32 PM
I'm with you Rod,The Hustler is a great movie.

paws the great
03-07-2007, 02:43 PM
Lethal Weapon 2
Aliens
Die Hard with a Vengeance
Robocop 2
Predator 2
Friday the 13th 4

Despare
03-07-2007, 02:48 PM
A few of these are great because people I know personally actually recognize the series because of the sequel and not the original. I know dozens of people who have only seen Terminator 2 or Desperado and not the first film.

swiss tony
03-07-2007, 02:50 PM
Lethal Weapon 2
Aliens
Die Hard with a Vengeance
Robocop 2
Predator 2
Friday the 13th 4

i thought aliens was the pick of the bunch. the one with the pink alien child was horse shit

Hamburger
03-07-2007, 06:31 PM
Exorcist 3:Legion. great performances across the board.
Halloween 2
Dawn of the Dead(1978)

BASSI
03-09-2007, 12:34 PM
Final Destination 2 & 3
New Nightmare
Friday 13th part 4, 6, 9 and x
Hellraiser 1,2,3

AsylumSeeker
03-28-2007, 12:54 AM
OOPS...I overlooked 2 of my all time fav horror movies...Dawn of the Dead & Evil Dead 2. Between them and Halloween II & Aliens, I d choose ED2, then Dawn a close 2nd, Halloween II, then Aliens.

I'd agree whole heartedly with these. I'm tickled to see that other people agree with Halloween II on here. I've taken grief for that one before. I just loved how it picked up right where it left off.

swiss tony
03-28-2007, 02:13 AM
the empire strikes back and predator 2

deatheatre
03-28-2007, 07:56 AM
The only sequel that's better from the original and what comes to my mind at the moment is "Tremors 2: Aftershocks". Of course the original was great too, but "Aftershocks" had some really good humor and it could've had Kevin Bacon in it too but he probably got scared away because it is a straight-to-video film.

Shadow
03-28-2007, 08:25 AM
Saw 2 and 3
Final Destination 2

Mictlantechutli
03-28-2007, 08:52 AM
Just saw Rocky Balboa - if you like Rocky, you'll really enjoy it.

Shadow
03-28-2007, 12:24 PM
Just saw Rocky Balboa - if you like Rocky, you'll really enjoy it.

I found all the Rocky films to be the same a bit predictable but they had their moments. I guess I just am not really a fan.

swiss tony
03-28-2007, 03:01 PM
one missed call 2

has one missed call been released long? its just that i've ordered it and it still isn't in stock

joshaube
03-28-2007, 04:05 PM
I enjoyed Hellraier 2 a bit more then the original. Evil Dead and Evil Dead II are easily just as great as one another.

AsylumSeeker
03-28-2007, 05:26 PM
one missed call 2

Good call on that one Dave! I liked them both a great deal, but I thought the second one was better overall. The first was fun, but the second one dropped alot of the bubble gum element and was far darker.

swiss tony
03-29-2007, 12:23 AM
return of the living dead 2. my favourite zombie movie