PDA

View Full Version : Santa Sangre?

Javyn
01-04-2004, 07:14 PM
Has anyone seen this film? I did years ago, it was very very good, and more than a little disturbing. It is a Mexican movie, directed by Alexandro Jodorowsky (who also did, El Topo).

I have been looking for a copy for a while, so if anyone out there at all knows of a place that sells it on vhs (doubtful this one is on DVD) please let me know!

Sam The Egg
01-04-2004, 07:47 PM
It made Ebert's Great Movies list, and for something in this genre, especially from the description, that's pretty damn impressive.

Javyn
01-04-2004, 07:53 PM
No other film has come close to disturbing me as deeply as this one did. I want to own it to watch again and again. Jodorowsky's first movie, Fando & Lis is on amazon, I need to check that one out also.

Dr.Kelvinstein
01-04-2004, 08:41 PM
Very cool. I too was surprised that it made Ebert's list. I love the scene where the main character tries to make himself invisible, and how he tramps around the house in bandages and smoking jacket like Universal's Invisible Man. If you like it, you would probably dig Jodorowksy's equally bizaar El Topo, his homage to spaghetti Westerns and weirdness in which he himself plays a samurai-esque gunfighter. It made a bundle in Mexico and was even produced by The Beatles!!!! What the hell?!?!?

mictlan
01-05-2004, 05:06 AM
Santa Sangre is great because it is gory and bizzare, with lots of interesting imagery, and sometimes you think 'wtf is going on', but it's actually a very tight, coherent story! The ending ties the story up neatly, and is very sweet and sad too.

Also check out Jodorowsky's Holy Mountain, which is sort of a bizarre religious quest... indescribable.

I've never seen the Rainbow Thief, which I think is about as commercial as Jodorowsky gets, but I'm told it's very good.

I'd be very surprised if Santa Sangre is not available on DVD.

Javyn
01-05-2004, 10:48 AM
I've checked, there ARE region 0 DVDs floating around of Santa Sangre as well as the rest of Jodorowsky's works (even El Topo!). I cannot say what the quality is like though. Most likely with a movie like that, you are going to have to put up with Japanese subtitles because Japan is the only country that usually releases these movies uncut.