PDA

View Full Version : Why We Hate You: An HDC Guide to Not Being an Asshat

The Flayed One
02-13-2007, 08:56 AM
Inspired by the recent General Forum activities.

The Problem
u dont bother to spell or punchuate ur sentenses or make n efort two use propur grammer.

The Solution
Have some respect for your readers if you want them to read your posts. Mozilla has an add on that underlines offending words in red. You don't have to be perfect, just readable.

The Problem
You start too many threads or the majority of your posts are irrelevant.

The Solution
Slow down there, buckaroo. Starting too many threads/posting too many irrelevant posts in one thread can frustrate people. Some feel it's pointless to make a thread/post to the OT when it's going to get bumped several pages.

The Problem
People keep asking me why I'm here:(

The Solution
Sometimes people wonder that when you join a horror board and never talk about horror. If people are saying this, that's probably the problem.

The Problem
Members yell at me for posting in the wrong forum/spamming/topics been done.

The Solution
We have a search function. It's not as good as it could be, but it helps you get by. Usually, if you start a new thread about a topic that's only 4-5 pages back, you're going to get called on it.

Search Help
To get the search feature to open, you have to right click on the search button and open it in a new window. For those of you who haven't been here very long, this came about when the forum underwent an upgrade. The upgrade still has some bugs in it that were never worked out, this being one of them.

Posting in the right forum is fairly simple. There are descriptions under the name of each forum about what to post there. It only takes a few seconds to browse through and figure out where your topic should go.

As far as spam, if you feel you must, be polite and don't try to pawn yourself off as someone else who found this "great new thing and must share it with people I've never enteracted with before." Post in the right forum, and don't get all defensive. There are plenty of people here who will give you an honest review of your crummy product.

The Problem
You guys are all assholes lolz:mad:

The Solution
Yes, we are.

Before anyone takes immediate offense, please note that this thread is supposed to be helpful. Constructive criticism (or barbing, as it goes here) makes up the backbone of our little INTERNETz society.

Roderick Usher
02-13-2007, 09:12 AM
Bravo, Flayed

now maybe a little about obsessive ass-fucking/jizzing/fag-hate posts

AUSTIN316426808
02-13-2007, 02:12 PM
but i dont spell or write well so should i never be on a forum ? im sorry if people have had a hard time with my posts or threads but i do try to make it all spelled right and make sense . im just not as good as most of you people .

This post is typed well enough and relevant to the topic. Just keep this up and chill with the..

Thread title- What's your favorite Scorsese film?

Dave response- elifants are prity n i luv mexikun food.

Member x response- Yeah, anyway...I'd say Goodfellas is a close second to Taxi Driver.

Dave response- a taxi driver tuk me two the zoo yesturda to sea the pritty elephints.

That's pointless and has nothing to do with the fact you can't write or spell to well.

Yes, other members make irrelevant post outta nowhere every now and then..sometimes it's funny/interesting or whatever and takes the topic off course for a bit. Yes, other members make off the wall threads for oblivious reasons every now and then..sometimes it's funny/interesting or whatever and goes on for a bit, on other occassions it'll get a few..''What the fuck are you talking about'' responses and go away.

All that's fine as long as it's every now and then instead of over and over and over and over...and over and over again, that's when it gets pointless and annoying.

And besides the spelling and irrelevance, not everybody's going to like you anyway, that's just how it is..you can get over it or cry about it, totally up to you.

The_Return
02-13-2007, 03:04 PM
To expand on Austin's point:

Using the same example, I see nothing wrong with a post like this:

Thread title- What's your favorite Scorsese film?

OMCAnnoyingMember: i dunno...there all gud. mean streetz i gess.

Yes- Its annoying as all fuck, but at least it makes some degree of sence....not just random crap like the vast majority of OMC / TG posts.

slayer666
02-14-2007, 02:29 AM
I think I might be an asshat because I've never figured out how to get the search function to work here. I first thought that it must be incompatible with Firefox, but I'm now worried that I might just be an asshat.

bwind22
02-14-2007, 04:39 AM
You're not an asshat for that. The search link doesn't work for me either. If I wanna search something, I have to physically type in the url of the search page.

As for the rest of this... Good thread Flayed. I don't have much problem reading OMCdave's threads despite the grammar & I don't spend much time reading TG's because they're all completely pointless, but I can certainly see the need for a thread like this. Good work.

ferretchucker
02-14-2007, 11:30 AM
You're not an asshat for that. The search link doesn't work for me either. If I wanna search something, I have to physically type in the url of the search page.

As for the rest of this... Good thread Flayed. I don't have much problem reading OMCdave's threads despite the grammar & I don't spend much time reading TG's because they're all completely pointless, but I can certainly see the need for a thread like this. Good work.

I cant get my quick response thing to work.

On another note, someone said flayed has 3 stickies in this section. He has them because his threads are relevant to what everbody is thinking. So, tg/omc, look at what flayed does and then maybe you can do it too. Hopefully that will be easier thantrying to work out a strategy for yourself.

The_Return
02-14-2007, 11:51 AM
I cant get my quick response thing to work.

See that little button beside "Quote", below the post? Click that, then type your reply in the little box at the bottom of the page

slayer666
02-15-2007, 02:36 AM
Thanks for the search tutorial - very helpful.

Doc Faustus
02-15-2007, 08:33 AM
I'd like to point another asshat style debating phenomenon. In a formal debate ad hominem comments are not welcome, and in any argument they don't deserve to discredit the opponent, they serve to make the attacker look like a flaming douche. Short debate style tutorial:
Wrong:
Imbecile 1: Children of the Corn 7 rocks the hizzie! It's like Citizen Kane with lesbians.
Imbecile 2: Cumswilling asstard! Sheepfucker! Children of the corn 7 blows!
Right:
The Smartest possible person who could have liked Children of the Corn 7:
Children of the Corn 7 was great. I don't see what all this Children of the Corn bashing is about.
Witty riposte:
Children of the Corn 7 is akin to bestiality.
While Children of the Corn 7 is akin to bestiality, we need not directly accuse those who love it of being cumswilling asstards or of having sheeploving proclivities. This goes back in a way to the productive posting comments at the beginning, but I think it's just as important to bring up productive rhetoric.

ferretchucker
02-15-2007, 01:49 PM
no need to be sheepish, who was it that said that? Or were you just being hypothetical...

The Flayed One
02-16-2007, 04:15 AM
no need to be sheepish, who was it that said that? Or were you just being hypothetical...

He was being hypothetical, I'm sure.

Here's another nitpick of mine. If you plan on sticking about, you might want to take the time to invest in a custom avatar. If you use one of the HDC choices, it just kind of makes you blend in to the background.

The Flayed One
02-16-2007, 05:40 AM
Good point Watson :p

The real kicker about that is, when some members choose one and keep it for so long, I start associating them with the avatar. Then, when I'm quickly going through threads and see that avatar, I'll stop to read the post and get halfway through before I realize it's not them.

I used to do that with hammerfan all of the time when she had the Pyscho shower scene avatar. I also automatically associate Doc Faustus with the Pinhead avatar and Disease with the Jason mask avatar.

Does anyone else do this?

Miss Olivia
02-16-2007, 09:27 AM
I do for sure.

If the avatar changes, it trips me up a little at first.
I love Gmork, though.;)

Despare
02-16-2007, 03:55 PM
Disease with the Jason mask avatar.

Every time I see that mask I assume that it's one of Disease's posts.

bloodrayne
02-16-2007, 04:02 PM
Does anyone else do this?Definitely...I always encourage new members to come up with an avatar of their own...I have even helped a lot of people to get one...But, it's not so easy anymore with the new size restrictions...

Despare
02-16-2007, 04:06 PM
But, it's not so easy anymore with the new size restrictions...

I have a few ready but I'd hate to lose my Evil Puppy...
Maybe one day those resrictions will be loosened.

bloodrayne
02-16-2007, 07:55 PM
The word "asshat" doesn't make a lot of sense to me. How do you put a hat on your ass?
That's sorta the point...No one needs a hat on their ass...So, an 'asshat' is pretty much ridiculous and useless...Now, apply that to some people...

The Mothman
02-16-2007, 08:05 PM
anyone heard of the band called The Asshats?
wierd stuff. kinda ironic too, considering all of their songs have content of dicks and poop and such, kinda like the mindset of the asshats on this site!

bloodrayne
02-16-2007, 11:05 PM
For Master/Loader/Renob/Tosser type posters:

Please leave our forum, and join THIS one:

http://forums.consumptionjunction.com/

They will love you there...They are all just like you

I know that you'll like it much better THERE than here

It would be mutually beneficial

Prey
04-16-2007, 10:00 PM
Well well well, about time he started to fart his shit around. Was wondering the other day how long it would take, and it didn't take that long.
Someone has to be THAT desperate to keep coming back even after countless bans, but yes they will do it for the simple reason that they are shameless, and get an erection from stirring up shit and getting other people all riled up.
So much energy, time and money being spent on such trivial stuff over the internet, while there remains so much to be done with this world.
Wanna make a difference? Get out there and do something worthwhile. At least some poor soul will be happy because of you.

_____V_____
04-19-2007, 09:28 PM
Just delete the replies and put it back up there again.

bloodrayne
04-20-2007, 11:11 AM
http://horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28877

_____V_____
04-20-2007, 09:17 PM
http://horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28877

Merge the first post of that thread ^ with this thread and you got a nice combo pack of guidelines. BR. It would be one hell of a sticky.

And a reply comes just when this was made a sticky again...:rolleyes:

The Flayed One
10-15-2008, 10:32 PM
*bump*

Perhaps it's that time of year again.

neverending
10-15-2008, 10:36 PM
Agreed!

Psycom5k
*bump*

Perhaps it that time of year again.

I'm guessing I provoked this? Sorry. :)

The Mothman
*bump*

Perhaps it that time of year again.

its really not nearly as bad as back in the day.

neverending
10-15-2008, 10:37 PM
Still, the guidlines in the first page should be taken to heart.

The Flayed One
10-15-2008, 10:38 PM
its really not nearly as bad as back in the day.

Agreed. I think we just have some new members who need to settle in a bit and get into the swing of things before the majority of the old ones make them walk the plank.

Psycom5k
10-15-2008, 10:44 PM
Agreed. I think we just have some new members who need to settle in a bit and get into the swing of things before the majority of the old ones make them walk the plank.

Wait are we talking about me or not, cause if we're not I'm so not interested.

Elvis_Christ
10-15-2008, 10:48 PM
Mrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrooaaaggggghhh.

http://content8.flixster.com/photo/98/20/59/9820594_tml.jpg

Psycom5k
10-15-2008, 10:50 PM
http://maona.net/img/food/danish_blue_cheese.jpg

AM I DOING IT RIGHT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

The Flayed One
10-15-2008, 10:50 PM
Wait are we talking about me or not, cause if we're not I'm so not interested.

I would venture so far as to say at the moment you would not be one of the folks whom most would direct this thread at.

Carry on being irrelevant, mate.

Psycom5k
10-15-2008, 10:52 PM
I would venture so far as to say at the moment you would not be one of the folks whom most would direct this thread at.

Carry on being irrelevant, mate.

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/128346821708593750yourproblemsar1.jpg

They should have never given me that award

ferretchucker
10-16-2008, 09:01 AM
About time!

Dahlia
10-16-2008, 09:03 AM
I don't know about anyone else, but as a Noob I found this thread very entertaining. Asshat is particularly descriptive.

I promise to try not to be an asshat. I will make every effort to write clearly and keep simple-minded posts to a minimum.

Thanks for the laugh.

urgeok2
10-16-2008, 09:12 AM
it pretty much boils down to common sense.

- having the common sense to know how to react in public.
- having the common sense to get to know the culture of the forum (it takes about 5 minutes)

unfortunately - the classical asshat will have no common sense to speak of - so there really is no re-educating them.

crazy people dont know they are crazy - and if you tell them that they are crazy - they wont believe you.

ChronoGrl
10-17-2008, 06:41 AM

The Problem
u dont bother to spell or punchuate ur sentenses or make n efort two use propur grammer.

The Solution
Have some respect for your readers if you want them to read your posts. Mozilla has an add on that underlines offending words in red. You don't have to be perfect, just readable.

The Problem

The Solution
Slow down there, buckaroo. Starting too many threads/posting too many irrelevant posts in one thread can frustrate people. Some feel it's pointless to make a thread/post to the OT when it's going to get bumped several pages.

The Problem

The Solution
Sometimes people wonder that when you join a horror board and never talk about horror. If people are saying this, that's probably the problem.

The Problem

The Solution
We have a search function. It's not as good as it could be, but it helps you get by. Usually, if you start a new thread about a topic that's only 4-5 pages back, you're going to get called on it.

Search Help
To get the search feature to open, you have to right click on the search button and open it in a new window. For those of you who haven't been here very long, this came about when the forum underwent an upgrade. The upgrade still has some bugs in it that were never worked out, this being one of them.

Posting in the right forum is fairly simple. There are descriptions under the name of each forum about what to post there. It only takes a few seconds to browse through and figure out where your topic should go.

As far as spam, if you feel you must, be polite and don't try to pawn yourself off as someone else who found this "great new thing and must share it with people I've never enteracted with before." Post in the right forum, and don't get all defensive. There are plenty of people here who will give you an honest review of your crummy product.

The Problem

The Solution
Yes, we are.

Before anyone takes immediate offense, please note that this thread is supposed to be helpful. Constructive criticism (or barbing, as it goes here) makes up the backbone of our little INTERNETz society.

I think I love you.

I'm quoting this to make sure it's read.

The Flayed One
10-17-2008, 07:28 PM
I think I love you.

I'm quoting this to make sure it's read.

You might have to fight Rayne for me, but don't worry, there's plenty of Flayed to go around;)

ferretchucker
10-18-2008, 02:38 AM
You might have to fight Rayne for me, but don't worry, there's plenty of Flayed to go around;)

Or at least, there will be when I cut you up.

Grrrrr.

ferretchucker
02-01-2010, 07:57 AM
This thread seems to apply again.

Geoff the Troll
02-10-2010, 05:11 PM
Well, it looks like a mass banning was done here. Refreshing!

Caenxavier
02-12-2010, 12:40 PM
My name is caenxavier, and I'm an asshat.

Sometimes I get drunk and start stupid threads :).

Laura6
02-12-2010, 07:19 PM
Well, it looks like a mass banning was done here. Refreshing!

I do not really believe in banning....if someone says something I don't like..I ignore it..banning closely resembles censorship

fuglystick
02-12-2010, 07:30 PM
Censoring asshats is a public service.

The Flayed One
02-13-2010, 07:31 PM
It's a simple case. Warnings were issued. Warnings were not heeded.

Sistinas666
03-07-2011, 11:57 PM
it pretty much boils down to common sense.

- having the common sense to know how to react in public.
- having the common sense to get to know the culture of the forum (it takes about 5 minutes)

unfortunately - the classical asshat will have no common sense to speak of - so there really is no re-educating them.

crazy people dont know they are crazy - and if you tell them that they are crazy - they wont believe you.

Rules to live by?

TheWickerFan
03-08-2011, 01:47 AM

The Problem

The Solution

The Problem

The Solution

The Problem

The Solution

The Problem

The Solution

Search Help

The Problem

The Solution
Yes, we are.

This sould be stickied in the new members section. It would save a great deal of time and grief.

Ferox13
03-08-2011, 04:38 AM
This sould be stickied in the new members section. It would save a great deal of time and grief.

I was about to make 6 posts about that...

ferretchucker
03-08-2011, 10:23 AM
I was about to make 6 posts about that...

Ferretchucker likes this.

BookZombie
03-23-2011, 07:15 PM
One thing I actually do not agree with is the do not post to many threads or posts point. I am not saying spam the forum or post irrelevant things, however a forum with slowed down activity like this one need every post it can get.

One question though about searching. As a new member I might want to discuss something which have been discussed before, what is then best, starting a new thread or finding the old thread and resurrecting it?

The Flayed One
03-23-2011, 08:32 PM
One thing I actually do not agree with is the do not post to many threads or posts point. I am not saying spam the forum or post irrelevant things, however a forum with slowed down activity like this one need every post it can get.

There was a point in time when we had members who would literally start 20 threads at once about ridiculous things in the forums. It would bump other new threads off of the front page and it became very frustrating. Nothing against anyone starting five or six new threads every day. It was the constant starting of multiple threads like "What's your favorite soda?" day after day that became too much for people to bare.

One question though about searching. As a new member I might want to discuss something which have been discussed before, what is then best, starting a new thread or finding the old thread and resurrecting it?

Up to you. That suggestion was in place to stop the constant influx of new threads covering a topic that was two days old. I personally have nothing against resurrected threads. The whole point was to make sure that there wasn't a thread four pages back on the same topic or that the topic hadn't been done 40 different times. I really don't see the problem with starting a new thread about a subject that has already been talked about multiple times as long as you call out the fact that you want to start a new one at the beginning of the thread.

BookZombie
03-24-2011, 12:32 AM
There was a point in time when we had members who would literally start 20 threads at once about ridiculous things in the forums. It would bump other new threads off of the front page and it became very frustrating. Nothing against anyone starting five or six new threads every day. It was the constant starting of multiple threads like "What's your favorite soda?" day after day that became too much for people to bare.

Well 20 threads a day about things that have nothing to do with horror sounds rather excessive. I understand your point. However I know that when I come to a forum as a new user I am often a bit shy and afraid of doing something wrong, and if I had been greeted with that point in your advice list when I just joined up I probably would not have posted as much as I have. Now I have Aspergers syndrome so it may be that it is just me who have a problem with understanding the meaning of that paragraph, and I in no way want to criticize. However as it stands I suspect it is a danger that new members who are nice, kind and want to appear polite will be worried they are posting to much and limit posts and threads which would be useful and interesting, while trolls who just don't car can just post and post whatever they feel like and will just ignore the advice.

Up to you. That suggestion was in place to stop the constant influx of new threads covering a topic that was two days old.

If a topic is two days old then it stands to reason that one just join the debate and do not make a new topic about it.

I personally have nothing against resurrected threads. The whole point was to make sure that there wasn't a thread four pages back on the same topic or that the topic hadn't been done 40 different times. I really don't see the problem with starting a new thread about a subject that has already been talked about multiple times as long as you call out the fact that you want to start a new one at the beginning of the thread.

Sounds fair, thank you for the information.

TheWickerFan
03-24-2011, 12:46 AM
You don't have to agree with the guidelines; these are just suggestions on how to behave and an explanation to new members on how certain things are frowned upon that they might not realize were considered bad manners.

BookZombie
03-24-2011, 12:51 AM
I am not disagreeing with the guidelines. I am saying that the way they are put might confuse new member so that they do not participate, that perhaps the guidelines need just a hint more explanation of what are desired or undesired behavior.

Like the Flayed One said the point about new threads where put there to stop people from making 30 threads a day about sodas and other unrelated stuff. I just pointed out that without his clarification I would have hardly dared to make a single topic when I first joined the forum if I had been met by this list. Now this might just be me as I have Aspergers not getting that paragraph, but I can only post from what I know, and for me that would discourage posting, and I do not think that is the point of it.

TheWickerFan
03-24-2011, 03:40 AM
I am not disagreeing with the guidelines. I am saying that the way they are put might confuse new member so that they do not participate, that perhaps the guidelines need just a hint more explanation of what are desired or undesired behavior.

Like the Flayed One said the point about new threads where put there to stop people from making 30 threads a day about sodas and other unrelated stuff. I just pointed out that without his clarification I would have hardly dared to make a single topic when I first joined the forum if I had been met by this list. Now this might just be me as I have Aspergers not getting that paragraph, but I can only post from what I know, and for me that would discourage posting, and I do not think that is the point of it.

This site has a very colorful history involving some serious troublemakers that has understandably made older members wary of new members exhibiting behavior that resembles these old "friends". As you've probably noticed, it is very easy to make an anonymous second account, so even if someone has been banned they can easily come back over and over again to cause more trouble.

I don't think this site discourages making a lot of posts or threads; just as long as they're relevant and comprehensible (see the OMCDave posts mentioned in the first few posts in this thread to get an idea of what I mean by irrelevant and incomprehensible).

However, this is coming from HDC's Biggest Post Whore, so you might want a second opinion.:D

Sistinas666
03-24-2011, 03:45 AM
A second opinion? I second Wickers observation. I've been around since 2003 or 2004 and agree 100% with how she just put it.

BookZombie
03-24-2011, 04:14 AM
The site do not at all discourage new members to post, please do not misunderstand me. I Joined this forum last month or so and I have felt very welcome. I only spoke about that one paragraph in this new guide to how to be liked at Horror.com, that it would be easy to misunderstand.

Nates Vault
06-28-2013, 06:57 PM
I'd like to point another asshat style debating phenomenon. In a formal debate ad hominem comments are not welcome, and in any argument they don't deserve to discredit the opponent, they serve to make the attacker look like a flaming douche. Short debate style tutorial:
Wrong:
Imbecile 1: Children of the Corn 7 rocks the hizzie! It's like Citizen Kane with lesbians.
Imbecile 2: Cumswilling asstard! Sheepfucker! Children of the corn 7 blows!
Right:
The Smartest possible person who could have liked Children of the Corn 7:
Children of the Corn 7 was great. I don't see what all this Children of the Corn bashing is about.
Witty riposte:
Children of the Corn 7 is akin to bestiality.
While Children of the Corn 7 is akin to bestiality, we need not directly accuse those who love it of being cumswilling asstards or of having sheeploving proclivities. This goes back in a way to the productive posting comments at the beginning, but I think it's just as important to bring up productive rhetoric.

I am new here, but based on my experiences on hundreds of forums on the interwebs, I love this comment. Thank you for pointing out that rational debate does not involve name calling, tossing epithets and the race to the lowest common denominator.

While I may have despised (name a movie I think is crap) and you may have loved it, I think we can all discuss the merits (or lack thereof) of said film without getting nasty and personal.

jdolan74
07-12-2014, 10:16 PM
That's a great introduction. I hope never to offend. A lover of horror. That is all.

anglewitch
02-13-2015, 05:26 AM

The Problem

The Solution

The Problem

The Solution

The Problem

The Solution

The Problem

The Solution

Search Help

The Problem

The Solution
Yes, we are.

No one likes us, no one likes us but we don't care we are HDC we are HDC. A deformed version of millwall lions chant.

Demonboy23
08-20-2016, 10:27 AM
Hi my names Eric, I really didn't like horror until my 20s because let's be honest it scared the shit out of me. Over the years I have gotten more into movies and now for the past year I have been playing horror games every Wednesday for Hump Day Horror Night. I am not a popular streamer but I love having new blood in the channel that have a real passion for horror like I do. If you like a dark twist of Comedy with your Horror, check out my channel. Love the support guys ::danger::

Hump Day Horror Nights
https://www.twitch.tv/d3m0nb0y23
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsbqgiHonII&index=11&list=PLY6qTx6UwfnxGkkYCxDQk_RSdBVBjljvX

anglewitch
08-20-2016, 09:51 PM
Hi my names Eric, I really didn't like horror until my 20s because let's be honest it scared the shit out of me. Over the years I have gotten more into movies and nowhttp://cdncache-a.akamaihd.net/items/it/img/arrow-10x10.png (http://www.horror.com/forum/#82136354) for the past year I have been playing horror games every Wednesday for Hump Day Horror Night. I am not a popular streamer but I love having new blood in the channel that have a real passion for horror like I do. If you like a dark twist of Comedy with your Horror, check out my channel. Love the support guys ::danger::

Hump Day Horror Nights
https://www.twitch.tv/d3m0nb0y23
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsbqgiHonII&index=11&list=PLY6qTx6UwfnxGkkYCxDQk_RSdBVBjljvX

Welcome and all but this is a thread about using proper grammar and all that s*** on the forum, not for greeting newbies.

spamman
04-04-2020, 03:49 PM
https://target.scene7.com/is/image/Target/GUEST_502f6a68-535d-4af9-b2d2-792ed84fccbb?wid=488&hei=488&fmt=pjpeg

anglewitch
04-06-2020, 09:06 PM
-_-

TaeKwonZombie
11-12-2020, 10:28 AM
LOL, spamman, didnt know someone actually made a username like that::big grin::