PDA

View Full Version : Asia vs Hollywood

bunn100
01-03-2004, 04:27 AM
well which produces the best horror at the moment my vote goes easily to asia. They have been far superior in the last 5 years.

just look at the following list all of these films in my view are fantastic

The Eye
Ichi the Killer
Dark Water
Guinea Pig Series
Evil Dead Trap
Kairo/Pulse
Ju-on
Hypnosis
Suicide Circle
Battle Royale
Whispering Corridors
Audition

meetthecreeper
01-03-2004, 04:53 AM
Hollywood is all about the money not the quality and entertainment value of the film.

dashripper
01-03-2004, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by bunn100
well which produces the best horror at the moment my vote goes easily to asia. They have been far superior in the last 5 years.

just look at the following list all of these films in my view are fantastic

The Eye
Ichi the Killer
Dark Water
Guinea Pig Series
Evil Dead Trap
Kairo/Pulse
Ju-on
Hypnosis
Suicide Circle
Battle Royale
Whispering Corridors
Audition

Easily far superior from Asia. I've become so annoyed with the crap that comes out of North America. This year was supposed to be great for horror but Cabin Fever, CHainsaw remake, Wrong Turn, Gothika everything was just garbage.

Most of these movies in your list will be remade. The Eye(better than Sixth Sense IMHO), Dark Water with Jennifer Connely, Pulse by Wes Craven, Ju-On with Sarah Michelle Gellar. I even heard Audition might be remade. I just can't see that.

If anybody wants a purely entertaining kick-ass movie catch Battle Royale. I have it on VCD but I would love to see it on the big screen.

bunn100
01-03-2004, 10:12 AM
It makes me laugh how hollywood will remake most of these japanese films.

It just proves how hollywood is incapable of creating movies of this calibur so there only answer is to copy them lol

Arioch
01-03-2004, 10:15 AM
lol i think we're all in agreement here.

bunn100
01-03-2004, 10:18 AM
lol I am tempted to go to a course to learn how to speak japanese lol

Sam The Egg
01-03-2004, 11:27 AM
ever stop to think that the reason that all the Japanese movies we see are good MIGHT be that nobody will bother with the bad ones? Unless someone here is keeping up with the Japanese movie scene, Japan might have just as many bad movies as Hollywood.
Also, the Wes Craven remake of Kairo fell through, I heard that The Eye might not happen, and I haven't even heard of the Ju-On remake.
Another also, are we talking about Hollywood now, or always?

bloodrayne
01-03-2004, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Sam The Egg
are we talking about Hollywood now, or always?

I would venture to say Hollywood NOW, as it has become unimaginative, thematic and capitalistic...

Sam The Egg
01-03-2004, 11:42 AM
Oh. To be more specific, are we putting any movie to be made in the US under 'Hollywood'?

bloodrayne
01-03-2004, 11:48 AM
Oh. To be more specific, are we putting any movie to be made in the US under 'Hollywood'?

That's where it's usually done...:)

Sam The Egg
01-03-2004, 12:00 PM
oh, so the independent movies are 'hollywood' as well, are they?

bloodrayne
01-03-2004, 12:09 PM
oh, so the independent movies are 'hollywood' as well, are they?

I said "USUALLY"...and don't be ridiculous...Independent films, while predominantly lacking monetary support, are often endowed with more independent ideas and creativity than the big budget productions currently being offered by Hollywood...Too often, the most talented go unnoticed for the simple lack of fiduciary worth, if the playing field was equaled and money was less a factor than talent, we could truly enjoy an endless supply of innovative masterpieces...

Sam The Egg
01-03-2004, 12:12 PM
well, the whole argument is moot, as I would prefer independent US movies to the Asian movies anyways. Independent US movies tend to leave in the scenes that explain wtf is going on

bunn100
01-03-2004, 02:13 PM
To go back to an earlier comment

YES I keep up-to-date with the japanese horror market and 8 out of 10 movies are fucking brilliant.

It sounds to me like you are one of these people that will not allow yourself to broaden your horizons. You probably say japanese films aren't better cos you dont like subtitles.

The FACT is that over the last 5 or 10 years the japanese market has produced pure classics that hollywood would never begin to think of and over the last 5 or 10 years Hollywood, america, england and everywhere else has managed only to produce 2nd rate unimaginative films or simply remade classics from the past.

At this moment in time I think that Takashi Miike or Hideo Nakata needs to teach Wes Craven how to make a horror movie.

Sam The Egg
01-03-2004, 03:14 PM
It sounds to me like you are one of these people that will not allow yourself to broaden your horizons. You probably say japanese films aren't better cos you dont like subtitles.
LOL!!!! Oh, excuse me for a second, I have to catch my breath. Okay, I'm back. In case you haven't noticed, most of the time if I'm talking about a horror movie in a positive light, it's Japanese. Kaïro, Audition, Chaos, Cure, Uzumaki, Battle Royale, Seven Samurai, Ran, all great movies. Okay, Chaos wasn't that great, and Uzumaki raped the end of the manga, but the point remains valid. Implying that I don't want to broaden my movie horizons and that I don't like subtitles is really funny. My horizons are very broad.
Look, I love Japanese movies, foreign movies in general, as much as the next pretentious asshole. But insulting someone over a preference, something that happens a LOT on this board, is just dumb. And saying that every single country in the world produces movies that are second rate compared to Japan makes you look horribly ignorant, and to extend that to the last 5 to 10 years is worse. I mean, do you live in Japan or something? Do you watch 10 out of the 10 horror movies that come out in Japan? Yes, some great movies have come out of Japan. I'm not arguing with you there, but they've come out with their fair share of bad movies as well, probably more than just 2 out of every 10 movies to come out.

By the way, Kiyoshi Kurosawa is way better than Takashi Miike

I really cannot wait until this "OMG ITS JAPANESE SO ITS AWESOME" fad is over.

mictlan
01-04-2004, 05:40 AM
I mean, do you live in Japan or something? Do you watch 10 out of the 10 horror movies that come out in Japan? Yes, some great movies have come out of Japan. I'm not arguing with you there, but they've come out with their fair share of bad movies as well, probably more than just 2 out of every 10 movies to come out.

Re-read the original question. Over the last five years I think that the best Asian horror films are much better than the best horror films from the US or anywhere else. That doesn't mean that there are no crappy Asian horror films.

I really cannot wait until this "OMG ITS JAPANESE SO ITS AWESOME" fad is over.

You may have to wait for them to stop making good movies. Don't hold your breath.

I do hope that the US rises to the challenge and makes more good horror.

dashripper
01-04-2004, 05:56 AM
ever stop to think that the reason that all the Japanese movies we see are good MIGHT be that nobody will bother with the bad ones? Unless someone here is keeping up with the Japanese movie scene, Japan might have just as many bad movies as Hollywood.
Also, the Wes Craven remake of Kairo fell through, I heard that The Eye might not happen, and I haven't even heard of the Ju-On remake.
Another also, are we talking about Hollywood now, or always?

Sam Raimi's Ghost House Pictures is producing Ju-On with the original director Shimizu. It begins filming in Jan-so I guess now. I actually hope all of these fall through. Release the originals instead of remaking them. I would love to see Battle Royale on the big screen.

And of course there are horrible Asian movies but let's just talk about horror.

Hollywood horror I've seen in the last few years. They, Darkness Falls, Chainsaw remake, Gothika, Cabin Fever, Wrong Turn-I can't even remember some of the other crap but man-barely any decent horror. The Ring had some general creepiness but it was a remake of an Asian horror movie. The Others was creepy but it was from a Spanish director Alejandro Amenabar. Hollywood hasn't made a decent, original horror flick in years.

Asian horror I've seen recently. Man-I love it.(I know some of these movies came out a few years back but I've just seen them) Audition, The Eye, Three( Memories is awesome. Perfect), Dark Water, Ju-On, A Tale of Two Sisters, Battle Royale was a blast and even a bad horror flick like Shiver is still better than most of the crap in hollywood.

It's no fad. Asians do better horror than North America.

Bub
01-04-2004, 06:32 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ what he said

The americans do a few major things wrong imho,

1, they concentrate on the teen audience, hence they are thrillers not true horror
2, they get teen starlets to star in them so the said teens will flock hoping to get a flash of tit
3, and this is what really puts the final nail in the coffin for me, they have screenings then change the film according to audience feedback

would any of those asian films you mentioned ever have made the screen if the 1,2,3 lets make money rules had been followed?
It's a shame because the USA have all the money and they talk in English, shame they couldn't make a scary film for shit (unless you count peewee herman, shiver)
I am sure eventualy it will change, people are quickly tiring of the formularic rubbish and once the takings start to drop maybe a proper director etc will get an unrestrained chance.

Fingers crossed,
Bub

Sam The Egg
01-04-2004, 07:35 PM
You may have to wait for them to stop making good movies. Don't hold your breath.
Not talking about their movies, I'm talking about all the people who will automatically say anything out of Japan is good, and compare it movies that are totally different from it. I swear, the asian horror fans are worse than the anime freaks sometimes.

Yes, I would like to see the originals make the big screen, too, but they won't. And there's a very good reason for it; nobody would go to see them. Damn, that money hungry hollywood strikes again.

And again, we seem to be generalizing the American movies. You mentioned They, Darkness Falls, Chainsaw remake, Gothika, Cabin Fever, and Wrong Turn. All Hollywood movies. Well, wait, the Hollywood ones are bad...Hollywood is in America, so logically ALL the American ones are just like the Hollywood ones.

And of course there are horrible Asian movies but let's just talk about horror.
There are horrible Asian horror movies.

It's no fad. Asians do better horror than North America.
Yes, it's a fad. Asia produces good horror movies, some great ones. But Asians are just as capable of making bad movies of any kind as anybody in any country.

And as for the poll, why is there no "I like them both" option?

Freddy Krueger.
01-05-2004, 04:23 AM
Originally posted by meetthecreeper
Hollywood is all about the money not the quality and entertainment value of the film. True. . .

Sam The Egg
01-05-2004, 12:13 PM
and the second the general movie-going public is worried about the quality of the movie, that will be a problem

bunn100
01-05-2004, 12:22 PM
well in response to you sam_the_egg you watch what you enjoying watching everyone has different tastes.

In my opinion Asia make the more original, scarier and entertaining films than anywhere else

agoniste
01-05-2004, 12:25 PM
why not comparing old school hollywood horror with japanese movies?
and what about italian movies?
and directors such as lucio fulci and dario argento?

Sam The Egg
01-05-2004, 12:31 PM
My main problem with the Japanese horror movies is that so many of them seem to try to be Ringu. It's like how a lot of movies tried to be Scream after it came out, except Ringu is much better than Scream.

agoniste
01-05-2004, 12:36 PM
i haven't seen any japanese movies,but i think japanese will start to have no more ideas and will release rip-off like hollywood did..
who knows:rolleyes:

Sam The Egg
01-05-2004, 12:47 PM
Like I said, there are no more new idead. Period. It doesn't matter what country it is, there are no more new ideas. Nobody's fault, it was bound to happen eventually.

mictlan
01-05-2004, 12:56 PM
Like I said, there are no more new idead. Period. It doesn't matter what country it is, there are no more new ideas. Nobody's fault, it was bound to happen eventually.

That's ridiculous, it's like saying that there are no new words. It's possible to say that all stories boil down to a few simple themes, but the amount of unique variations on those themes is endless.

Sam The Egg
01-05-2004, 12:59 PM
yes, but it's still a variation of the same idea. That's like saying all the Halloween-type movies were new ideas. Hey, how about a big guy in a mask goes around killing horny teenagers...on ARBOR DAY! OMG TOTALLY NEW IDEA!!!

agoniste
01-05-2004, 01:02 PM
yes, but it's still a variation of the same idea. That's like saying all the Halloween-type movies were new ideas. Hey, how about a big guy in a mask goes around killing horny teenagers...on ARBOR DAY! OMG TOTALLY NEW IDEA!!!

i totally agree with you

Sam The Egg
01-05-2004, 01:05 PM
and I'm not saying that like it's bad. It's unfortunate, yes, but it was, as I said, going to happen. Nor am I saying it means there will be no more good movies, cause that would just be stupid.

Also, we say Asia, but don't we really mean Japan? If it's Asia, then bring up more than just ones from Japan. If not, then the title of the thread is misleading.

Distorty
06-08-2004, 01:37 AM
The guinea pig series sucked

Shade
06-08-2004, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Distorty
The guinea pig series sucked

I disagree. They were definately B movies, lacking any plot what-so-ever but I find they're a developed taste and seem to have been qute influential to other filmakers, especially in the violence department. Kind of a ground-breaking thing...more of an experiance than a series you'd like to watch over and over again...But I have been a fan of Japanese cenima for a LONG Time. Ichi the Killer being my favorite movie of all time ^-^;. Japanese movies tend to be more thoughtful while still being as gory as hell (in some cases, some are just psyhologically scary). They keep me thinking a lot longer that most Hollywood cookie cutter films (at least that's the way they seem lately).

bwind22
06-08-2004, 10:24 AM
There should be an option for American made independent films.

I'm not voting cuz I havent seen much asian horror.

bloodrayne
09-13-2005, 06:18 AM