PDA

View Full Version : Conflicted

Roderick Usher
01-31-2007, 01:55 PM
My writing partner and I have another script that's going into production soon. It's our baby; the best, coolest, most fun thing we've written.

Roderick Usher
01-31-2007, 01:59 PM
Yeah, that's how I feel.

newb
01-31-2007, 06:34 PM
I would go with the "Genre Giant" as well.If its a hit everybody wins. If it fails the blame will fall on the director who "is still in a slump".

as long as its not a "SCI FI ORIGINAL";)

X¤MurderDoll¤X
01-31-2007, 07:41 PM
Genre giant

Elvis_Christ
01-31-2007, 09:23 PM
Go with the up and comming guy.

The genre needs some new blood (excuse the pun) :)

Could be a really breakthru collaboration that stirs the industry up rather than playing it safe.

Roderick Usher
01-31-2007, 10:32 PM
Go with the up and comming guy.

The genre needs some new blood (excuse the pun) :)

Could be a really breakthru collaboration that stirs the industry up rather than playing it safe.

This is the smart thing to do and really the very best thing to do for the film. But I'm such a retarded fanboy.

I'll let you all know shortly as the producers are rather gung-ho on this project, so I might have 2 movies in production at the same time!!!!

Now if only I could get my family of 4 out of this 2 bedroom apartment:mad:

bwind22
02-01-2007, 12:03 AM
Once a decision has been made, will you tell us who the genre giant was, even if he is not the one that ends up getting the gig?

My guess is Wes Craven. He's been pretty shitty lately...

Elvis_Christ
02-01-2007, 12:35 AM
This is the smart thing to do and really the very best thing to do for the film. But I'm such a retarded fanboy.

Alexandre Aja huh? :D

AUSTIN316426808
02-01-2007, 12:42 AM
Alexandre Aja huh? :D

If so, I wouldn't have been the slightest bit conflicted.

newb
02-01-2007, 03:15 AM
Uwe Boll?

:D

bwind22
02-01-2007, 06:33 AM
I think if you go with the bigger name director, the film might end up with a bigger budget and I would think more funding would equal a bigger paycheck for everyone working on it, including the writer. If that's the case, I'd go with the big name for sure. If he makes your script a smash hit, you are off and running.

Roderick Usher
02-01-2007, 06:47 AM
is it yellow rod ?

no, the movie is XXXXXXX and I'll totally let you know as soon as it's prudent to do so.

X¤MurderDoll¤X
02-01-2007, 10:14 AM
i understand thinking this way - and it would work in an ideal world ..
but i think ... for a first major film (theatrical release hopefull) ... you need the big name to sell to the money boys ... and then you need to get any break you can to get the asses in the seats ...

i think - as a writer - if you already have a solid well profiled resume, then you can take the chance with the new blood..

remember that - sadly - it isnt the handful of rabid, knowledgeable horror fans that determine if a movie is a success or not .. its a few million teenagers - who at this point - support some pretty god damn bad films.

I agree with all that.

Burning in Hell
02-01-2007, 10:45 AM
i understand thinking this way - and it would work in an ideal world ..
but i think ... for a first major film (theatrical release hopefull) ... you need the big name to sell to the money boys ... and then you need to get any break you can to get the asses in the seats ...

i think - as a writer - if you already have a solid well profiled resume, then you can take the chance with the new blood..

remember that - sadly - it isnt the handful of rabid, knowledgeable horror fans that determine if a movie is a success or not .. its a few million teenagers - who at this point - support some pretty god damn bad films.

Exactly, however frustrating that might be. Plus, it would certainly help your own visibility as a writer to have a big name associated with your script instead of a few hungry unknowns. Plus, as some have said, you never know, the guy just could pull it off brilliantly and then your name would really be out there.

The_Return
02-01-2007, 03:11 PM
I agree with most everyone else - go for the name.

Really though, its your script: go with your gut. Whichever one you personally feel will be able to do the best job should be the one you go with...not the opinion of a bunch of random internet horror freaks:)

The STE
02-01-2007, 08:00 PM
Go with the up and comers. That way, if it's a hit, then it's everybody's big break. If you go with the established director in a slump, and it's a hit, then it's the director's big comeback.

On the other hand, if you go with the unknown guys, and it fails, nobody'll notice. If it fails with a name attached to it, it'll get noticed, even if it's noticed as "another M. Night Shyamalan" failure or whomever it is directing.

zwoti
02-02-2007, 11:08 AM

wise words

The_Return
02-03-2007, 04:39 PM
Another thing that I just thought of:

Just how big is this "big name" today? Is it someone like Craven, who still has pretty consistant boxoffice success, or someone like Hooper who is just running the DTV / TV show circuit?

If its someone like the latter, I change my vote and say go for the up-and-commers. Contrary to what Sam said, if its a Hooper style "big name" and it flops - it wont be noticed anymore than if the new guys make it.

Roderick Usher
02-05-2007, 05:03 PM
everything looks good:D

Vodstok
02-06-2007, 04:50 AM
Well the Big Name wants to do the film and the producers have signed off on him. I'll let you know the particulars after we've made it a little more official. I won't get a chance to meet the man until next week.

Earlier today out reps were dissing our latest script and just an hour ago we get this great news.

Now if we can just get Kurt Russell everything will be perfect:D

I think i know who it is. Want me to say?! Do ya? Do ya?

Roderick Usher
02-06-2007, 07:11 AM
I think i know who it is. Want me to say?! Do ya? Do ya?

I can neither confirm nor deny any silly internet speculation:D

Burning in Hell
02-06-2007, 08:42 AM
Well the Big Name wants to do the film and the producers have signed off on him. I'll let you know the particulars after we've made it a little more official. I won't get a chance to meet the man until next week.

Earlier today out reps were dissing our latest script and just an hour ago we get this great news.

Now if we can just get Kurt Russell everything will be perfect:D

Great news! Now your name should really get out there with this mystery director ;)

Vodstok
02-06-2007, 09:14 AM
I can neither confirm nor deny any silly internet speculation:D

Fine... I was thinking Ron Parpenter, but i guess ill just have to wait and see.

Roderick Usher
02-06-2007, 09:28 AM
Fine... I was thinking Ron Parpenter, but i guess ill just have to wait and see.

saying that name out loud made me snork my coffee!

Vodstok
02-06-2007, 09:29 AM
saying that name out loud made me snork my coffee!

:D

i couldnt think of anything better.

Good luck. Here's to hoping Ron breaks his streak.

Roderick Usher
02-16-2007, 12:37 PM
Meeting him today in two hours!

bwind22
02-21-2007, 10:45 PM

Ohhhhhhh! You were so close! Poor Ron Parpenter will have to wait for Rod's next script I guess.

GorePhobia
10-27-2007, 06:43 PM
I really do hope to see this flick get made.