PDA

View Full Version : The order in which you write your scripts

bwind22
01-29-2007, 11:08 PM
This post is for anyone that's written scripts before...

Do you write it from start to finish starting on scene 1 and ending with The End? Or do you skip around a bit and write a scene here and scene there until you've got them all done and then piece them together?

The reason I ask is because I've always been one to start at the beginning and write chronologically, but on the current script I am working on, it seems to almost make more sense to write a few of the middle scenes first because chronologically they take place first (2 characters backstorys.) It seems to make sense to write those out first and then proceed from start to finish as usual, but I was just wondering what everyone else's take on it was as well.

Roderick Usher
01-30-2007, 07:39 AM
I always start on page one, scene one - whether it is in chronological order or not.

The opening scene of any film is one of he most important things to nail. it sets the tone for the rest of the script.

I have written both linear and non-linear scripts, but always start with the first scene of the movie and work my way to the end. This way the story unfolds like a movie to me and I have a strong grasp of the pacing (which I personally find is the most oft-overlooked element of scriptwriting) and I'm open to letting the story tell itself to me. Only after finishing the entire first draft do I go back and begin to tweak the earlier scenes to fit what the story has evolved into.

I never outline, but I always write character histories (filled with tons of info that will never make its way into the script) and the basic story arc before starting the script.

bwind22
01-30-2007, 08:18 AM
I never outline, but I always .... story arc before starting the script.

I am unclear on what the difference between those 2 would be. ???

Roderick Usher
01-30-2007, 01:15 PM
Outlining is marking down beat-by-beat exactly what will happen in the story A-Z in very specific detail. A stroy arc is much simpler - it is a series of broad strokes and big set-pieces on which the story will be draped.

As long as I know where the story is headed and I have detailed character backstories, I can drop the character into the particular set-up and allow them to surprise me with their behavior.

Does that help at all?

The STE
01-30-2007, 07:20 PM
Well, this is actually a difficult question. I've written 3 scripts for short films. One was a comedic adaptation of The Iliad, then I did a comedic adaptation of The Odyssey (which can be viewed in my signature), and then I adapted a one act play that me and another guy wrote. The only thing I did that was 100% original was a 3 minute silent film that I didn't script. I just did a storyboard an hour before it was due for class.

Though, I think it would depend on the plot. One idea I have is kindof a Kids/Dogme 95 type thing, and it's not really story driven, so I'd probably write that script as I think of scenes, and worry about the order when I'm ready to storyboard and film. Other ideas I have are more linear, and I'd probably write the script as such.

makemebad
01-30-2007, 07:26 PM
I always started from beginning to end

But I do have an outline before hand. I gather the major scenes and characters and everything else I want to be in the story and I make it off that.

Papillon Noir
02-15-2007, 12:57 PM
The best thing to do first is your character backgrounds and a synopsis of the story (usually 10-15pgs for a feature length). These both form guidelines to writing the script. I find writing from beginning to end the easiest as you will generally tweak things as you go.

Also, make sure you use the proper format or get a computer program that does it for used (I used Final Draft). It gets you in the habit of doing it properly and is the most proffessional and easiest to read.

Probably the most important thing is that your script should only consist of action and dialogue. It is not a novel and you cannot say Bob felt bad when he killed zombies. You can only put Bob killed zombies. It is the actor's job to portray it visually, and the director's to interpret the script.

Hope this helps.

Roderick Usher
02-15-2007, 02:22 PM
The best thing to do first is your character backgrounds and a synopsis of the story (usually 10-15pgs for a feature length).

wow 10-15 pages? I only go into that kind of detail when I'm turing in a treatment.

I love hearing everybody's process. It's all about the process for me. I try different approaches, but usually fall back into the familiar: character bios, general concept, tone (quite often the hardest thing to nail down), a couple of set pieces and then let it flow.

While writing I try to immerse my physical self into the setting as much as possible. I try to eat what my characters would eat, dress how they dress - a little insane, I know...at least the wife thinks so:D But these little bits of physicality can worm their way into your subconscious and provide you with a deeper insight into the characters you've created.

Papillon Noir
02-16-2007, 05:49 AM
wow 10-15 pages? I only go into that kind of detail when I'm turing in a treatment.

It is a treatment really, I was just trying to speak in general terms. And as much as I procrastinated about doing treatments when I was in class, they actually really help you when you get into writing the body of it. They keep you more focused and allow you to work out plot points ahead of time instead having to do a lot of rewrites (which you will do a lot of anyway).

Roderick Usher
02-16-2007, 07:09 AM
I only do a treatment if a producer asks for one.:D

Granted my rewrite process can be a little painful, but working with a partner keeps focus tight. I never though I'd be the type to write with someone, but now I find the counter-point to be invaluable.

Here's another question - how long does it take to finish a first draft? I've written over 20 feature-lentgh scripts (the first 5 were terrible) most on spec, some for hire. My partner and I usually take 1 month to finish a first draft, but the film we have going into production this month wes written in 10 days...

but we've since done 9 rewrites as per producer/director/actor notes - kind of sick of writing this one:o

GraveReality
02-16-2007, 05:17 PM
Just finished my first real screenplay. I jumped around a lot. I had ideas for certain scenes and wrote them down. I built on them and then weaved everything together. When I was done I had a new idea that completely changed the story just with a few more lines added. Point is, it is never really done.

Papillon Noir
02-19-2007, 12:06 PM
Here's another question - how long does it take to finish a first draft? I've written over 20 feature-lentgh scripts (the first 5 were terrible) most on spec, some for hire. My partner and I usually take 1 month to finish a first draft, but the film we have going into production this month wes written in 10 days...

I think a month is about right for a first draft with a final draft being finished within three months. Though, I can see that having a writing can speed things up with the old "two heads are better than one" thing.

I did write 60pgs in four days once because I was on a deadline. The last fifteen pages or so turned out a little campy because my brain had gone to mush by then.

Warrior Angel
03-17-2007, 03:13 AM
I would advise writing it however it feels best to you, and don't listen to what anyone else says.

Roderick Usher
03-17-2007, 08:51 AM
I would advise writing it however it feels best to you, and don't listen to what anyone else says.

Agreed, but it is always a good idea to try new methods and remove yourself from your comfort zone. I find input about others' processes refreshing and, on certain occasions, enlightening.

Papillon Noir
03-19-2007, 11:17 AM

One thing that was completely ingrained in me in my Screenwriting class in college is to write in the proper format, everything else is secondary. Then if you want to write scenes out of order or whatever, it's easy to move them around like Scrabble tiles later.

Mictlantechutli
03-21-2007, 06:55 AM
I just started writing and I think I'm pretty good at it. I've written a couple of horror scripts. All my friends have read them and gave me really positive feedback, but they're friends and family.

How do you know if your stuff is good enough to show to people in showbiz?

fubar-entertainment
04-13-2007, 05:16 AM
I would recommend doing some additional research into script writing. A very good source of knowledge would be Robert McKee's 'Story'.

There is where it all starts - writing a great script.:D

Woz
FUBAR Entertainment

bwind22
04-16-2007, 09:32 PM
Here's another question for all the writers here...

Do you work on 1 script at a time & finish it before starting a new one or do you have multiple projects all going at once?