PDA

View Full Version : Midnight Mass

avenger00soul
09-29-2003, 04:58 PM
Did anyone see Midnight Mass? It recently hit DVD and I thought it was horrible. One of the worst vampire movies I've seen in a while. I'm interested in other's thoughts about this. Basically, I'm daring someone to defend it.

Amelie
10-04-2003, 12:58 AM
I haven't seen it. To be honest, I'm not big fan of vampire movies. Most of them seem so formula, and I'm not big on Anne Rice-type stuff.

Anyone like "Midnight Mass", or have any recommendations on good, interesting vampire movies?

avenger00soul
10-04-2003, 09:54 AM
Near Dark is a very good, non-typical vampire flick. Cronos is another unusual one. Then there's From Dusk Till Dawn, Fright Night and the Vampire Hunter D flicks. And you can't go wrong with The Lost Boys. Those are the best that I could come up with off the top of my head.

Tony
10-04-2003, 05:21 PM
What about the one that George Romero did about the little boy vampire? I think it was called Martin.

avenger00soul
10-04-2003, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by Tony
What about the one that George Romero did about the little boy vampire? I think it was called Martin.

That was a weird movie. It's the only Romero movie I couldn't get into. Just my opinion though.

Amelie
10-05-2003, 02:54 AM
Originally posted by Tony

Holy crap! I forgot about "Martin". I actually liked it, so maybe I'm a freak. :D That was the one where the guy believed he was a vampire, but you never know for sure if he actually was one.

I liked "From Dusk Till Dawn". I actually liked "Blade", too. Vampire movies are okay so long as they're brutal and nasty or really campy-good.

Has anyone here seen "Perdita Durango"? It's not really a vampire or horror movie, but it has some magical references in it. It's an interesting movie.

Ritualistic
10-05-2003, 02:06 PM
Not really into Vampire Flicks myself. But I can name tons of vampire flicks that sucked major ass..

wyked
10-05-2003, 05:04 PM
I work at BlockBuster so I kind of get the cake when it comes to renting movies and the like. But Midnight Mass was awful as far as production and acting in my opinion. To be honest...the general storyline they had going was a great idea, but only to a certain point. After a while it just got too personal with the priest and the "rogue priest that returns to his hometown" deal, kind of ruined the story for me.

avenger00soul
10-05-2003, 05:06 PM
The whole movie kinda ruined the story for me.

Sean1605
10-14-2003, 03:31 AM
"Cronos" just came out on DVD, great movie from a great director that will hopefully get noticed by many with "Hellboy".

"Near Dark" is a classic in the genre, while never mentioning the word "vampire".

"Blade" is more 50/50 as far as action/horror but it was still a good movie nonetheless.

"Martin" was sorta goofy, but still good.

"Interview With a Vampire" was good, although to many that's blasphemy.

Coppola's "Dracula" was great, Oldman was awesome as usual.

And for cheesy fun (or not) check out Frankenstein vs. Dracula from the 70's.

Sick_As_Fuck
10-14-2003, 12:29 PM
I almost rented this once, but chose "Dark Blue" over it. Now I'm glad I did.

avenger00soul
10-15-2003, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by Sick_As_Fuck
I almost rented this once, but chose "Dark Blue" over it. Now I'm glad I did.

Dark Blue made Midnight Mass look like a shitty, no-budget vampire movie. Oh wait, it was. Kurt Russell rules.

crazy raplh
10-05-2005, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by Amelie
I haven't seen it. To be honest, I'm not big fan of vampire movies. Most of them seem so formula, and I'm not big on Anne Rice-type stuff.

Anyone like "Midnight Mass", or have any recommendations on good, interesting vampire movies?

I agree the only vampire movie I liked was Fright night

Sick_As_Fuck
10-06-2005, 09:39 AM
Why was this resurrected 2 years later?

zwoti
10-06-2005, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by Sick_As_Fuck
Why was this resurrected 2 years later?

zombie thread?

slasherman
10-06-2005, 12:46 PM
"Dracula" (1979)...Directed by
John Badham...wasnt all that bad

Doc Faustus
10-06-2005, 05:38 PM
Midnight Mass blew in 2003 and still blows to this very day. I cannot believe I put down 4 dollars on this because F. Paul Wilson wrote it. By the way, if you're recommending good vampire movies, how about Black Sunday? Cool atmosphere, Barbara Steele, good gore for the time, Barbara Steele, Mario Bava, Barbara Steele. And let us not forget the presence of Barbara Steele. The only Barbara Steele movie I found better was 8 and 1/2. But, Black Sunday's pretty good vintage horror and isn't bad for a vampire flick. Oh, and the original Salem's Lot miniseries. I saw that when I was a kid and ended up sleeping with a crucifix on my neck. And, it may be an unpopular opinion, but I thought Lifeforce was pretty cool.

slasherman
10-07-2005, 03:24 AM
Originally posted by Doc Faustus
Oh, and the original Salem's Lot miniseries.
..how is the remake with Rob Lowe ?

Doc Faustus
10-07-2005, 05:22 PM
Didn't catch it, but the vampires in the old one looked much more organic.

Damn Heathen
03-24-2015, 08:07 PM
I

H
av
en'
t

Se
en

i
t.

neilold
03-25-2015, 12:44 AM
the eighties one, john carpenters vampires, i think, was pretty good also enjoyed daybreakers, thats really good, and anyone who doesn't like the lost boys is wholeheartedly wrong in my opinion