PDA

View Full Version : Texas chainsaw massacre:the rise and fall of the scariest horror franchise

can't get enough gore
01-20-2007, 08:10 AM
Texas chainsaw massacre:

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (sometimes written as The Texas Chainsaw Massacre) is an independent low-budget horror film influential classic made in 1973 (released in 1974) by director Tobe Hooper. It concerns a family of cannibals in rural Texas, who abduct customers from their gas station and those unlucky to stumble upon their house, and their attempts to cannibalize them.

Produced on a budget of just over $83,000, the film grossed $30,859,000 at the U.S. box office, making it one of the most successful independent films in cinema history.[1] The financing for this film came from the profits of Deep Throat, a previous film the production company had financed.[citation needed

ahhh...the legend that started it all some say it is the scariest film of all(this thread is meant to praise these films so i you dont agree dont post)

Texas chainsaw massacre 2

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre Part 2 is a 1986 sequel to the 1974 classic hit horror film The Texas Chain Saw Massacre. The film is directed by Tobe Hooper, basing the characters on the original film. Writing credits also include Kim Henkel. The film stars Dennis Hopper as "Lefty" and Bill Johnson as "Leatherface". The film is considered by some viewers and film critics to be one of the worst sequels of all time, mainly due to its stylistic departure from the first film. Unlike its predecessor (which had minimal gore and relied on dramatic tension and a documentary-style feel to scare the viewer), this film sports a wildly over-the-top, almost operatic sense of campy black humor, as well as an array of gore effects by makeup maestro Tom Savini. Although it managed to recoup its meager costs, the film was considered a commercial flop. Since its initial release, however, it has developed a following. Its defenders claim it to be an intentional parody of the original Chainsaw, and point to the cinematography and surreal set design as homages to the French New Wave films of the 1960s

a joke....this movie is a dissapointment

Texas chainsaw massacre 3

Leatherface: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre III is a 1990 sequel to the original The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974).

It stars Kate Hodge, Ken Foree, and a then unknown Viggo Mortensen. It was directed by Jeff Burr. At the time this was considered to be the first of several sequels in the series to be produced by New Line. However, it was not a success and the franchise was scrapped (although an additional sequel appeared later it was not made or distributed by New Line). Many horror buffs consider Leatherface: Texas Chainsaw Massacre III to be the finest sequel in the series, but only in its uncut version which was finally released on DVD format in 2003
Actress Caroline Williams who played Vanita "Stretch" Brock in The Texas Chainsaw Massacre Part 2 makes a cameo as the female news reporter in the opening scenes.
About five minutes of footage had to be cut from this film in order to secure an R rating, and avoid the dreaded X rating (this film was released several months before the NC-17 rating, which was introduced in September, 1990 [1]). The uncut version is now available along with the R-rated version on DVD.
This film was banned in Iceland, Finland and United Kingdom because of the extreme gore and violence. It was severely edited in many other countries. In the United Kingdom the BBFC refused classification of the film in 1990, [2] In 2004 it was resubmitted for approval, and was granted an 18 certificate, uncut

TCM 4
no comment on this crap

TCM :2003 remake
In August 1973, a group of college kids are traveling through Travis County, Texas to a Lynyrd Skynyrd concert in Dallas when they encounter a chainsaw wielding maniac and his homicidal family. After picking up a suicidal teen in the middle of town, the kids are lured in to the murderous clutches of Leatherface and his family. They then suffer numerous encounters with Leatherface, leaving only one survivor by the end of the story

*To avoid an NC-17 rating in the USA, the more graphic shots of Morgan's death were cut. The original version of the scene featured the shot of the chainsaw slicing into his crotch and then having intestines and blood falling out of him. The cut version cuts away when the chainsaw is about to cut him and totally cuts out the intestines falling from his body. The hitchhiker death scene was also cut severely. The original scene has her ear flying off of her head and blood and brain matter being more dark in color and more in amount flying out of her head.

-

TCM the beggining
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning is a 2006 prequel to New Line Cinema's 2003 film The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Directed by Jonathan Liebesman and produced by Michael Bay, the film was released on October 6, 2006 in North America and is set 4 years before the 2003 remake. The film previously had the subtitle The Origin. New Line Cinema had to pay $3 million more than expected in order to keep the franchise in the studio fold after Dimension Films made a pricey deal with original rights holders.

The theatrical trailer was attached to the remake of The Omen.
The film will be part of "A Match Made In Hell" where a sneak peak will be shown along with a demo releases of Microsoft's Gears of War video game.
The film shows how Leatherface came to use the chainsaw as his weapon of choice.
On Wednesday, September 6th, the release was pushed back to its original date, October 6th.
According to a producer, the film was originally rated NC-17, and 17 scenes had to be edited in order to secure an R-rating.
Made $19 million on its opening weekend, already covering the budget cost of $16 million.
Went on to make a total U.S. gross of $39,329,478.
Won a Fangoria Award.

Leatherface
Leatherface is the main villain of The Texas Chain Saw Massacre movies. He is a "severely mentally retarded and severely mentally disturbed" man who wields a chainsaw and wears the skinned faces of his victims. [2] Leatherface and his family were inspired in part by killer Ed Gein[3], who also wore the skin of his victims and corpses.[4]

The character was originally played by Gunnar Hansen. His real name is unknown, although older brother Chop Top calls him "Bubba" in the second movie.

In the original film, Leatherface is never seen without one of his human-flesh masks on. The reason for this is unknown. He differs from other movie killers in that he is not so much sadistic or evil; he is mentally retarded and most of the time he only does what his family tells him to do. Hansen has stated that Leatherface is "completely under the control of his family. He'll do whatever they tell him to do. He's a little bit afraid of them." [5] Tobe Hooper has argued on the documentary The Shocking Truth that Leatherface is a 'big baby' and kills in self-defense because he feels threatened, pointing out that in the first film Leatherface was actually frightened at all the new people entering his house.

The people Leatherface kills are later made into barbecue and chili, which are sold by his much older brother, Drayton Sawyer. Aside from Leatherface and Drayton, the Sawyer clan includes his two brothers, Nubbins and Chop Top, as well as Grandpa and Grandma (real names unknown).

Leatherface is known to wear different masks; they have been dubbed "the Killing Mask", "Grandmother Mask" and "Pretty Woman Mask." In an interview with Gunnar Hansen, about Leatherface's masks, he says, "the reason he wore a mask, according to Tobe and Kim, was that the mask really determined his personality. Who he wanted to be that day determined what mask he put on. So, when the Cook comes home, with Sally, Leatherface is wearing the 'Old Lady' mask and he's wearing an apron and carrying a wooden spoon – he wants to be domestic, helpful in the kitchen. At dinner he wears a different face -- the 'Pretty Woman,' which has make up." In another interview, he added "The idea of the mask is that there is no personality under the mask. That was the idea in talking with Tobe and Kim. When they created the character, they said he has to put on masks to express himself because he himself can't do it. ... The way we tried to create him, there is nothing under the mask, which is what makes him so frightening." [6] [7][8]

so tell me what were your favorite movies and what you thought about this series

paws the great
01-20-2007, 08:27 AM
1. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2

2. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003)

3. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre- The Beginning

4. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)

5. Leatherface

6. The Next Generation

:D

alkytrio666
01-20-2007, 08:47 AM
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)

That's it. I didn't like any of the other ones.

can't get enough gore
01-20-2007, 02:57 PM
1. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2

2. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003)

3. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre- The Beginning

4. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)

5. Leatherface

6. The Next Generation

:D

you're insane have you actually seen these movies?

1.texas chainsaw massacre(1974)
2.texas chainsaw massacre the beginning
3.TCM(2003)
4.TCM 2
5.Leatherface
6.next-gen

paws the great
01-20-2007, 06:29 PM
you're insane have you actually seen these movies?

1.texas chainsaw massacre(1974)
2.texas chainsaw massacre the beginning
3.TCM(2003)
4.TCM 2
5.Leatherface
6.next-gen

Yes,I have watched them all.

Why am I insane?

Have you been talking to my doctor?:D

The_Return
01-20-2007, 07:52 PM
The original TCM and TCM 2 are both fantastic movies for totally different reasons, and its a shame that #2 always gets shitted (shat?) on just because it isnt what people wanted / expected.

The original was effective because it was gritty, brutal and realistic, while the original is the absolute polar opposite. It was like a crazy-ass comic book come to life, totally out-there and way overthetop. Not nearly as brutal or scary as the original, but just as entertaining.

The_Return
01-20-2007, 08:30 PM
I only seen the orginal and the two newest ones and I liked them all. Should I watch any of the other sequals or are they fuckin shitty?

Depends on who you ask, really.

Personally, I love #2 but ALOT of people will disagree with that. Havent seen the rest, save for the remake.

X¤MurderDoll¤X
01-21-2007, 02:15 AM
is the newest one worth seeing?

the_real_linda
01-21-2007, 02:25 AM
tcm (1978)
then the tcm 2 and 3 ill watch

perhaps next gen tho its terrible and ill never watch it again....ever! but the new ones are just terrible

paws the great
01-21-2007, 03:09 AM

Yes.

The story is a little weak, but it's GORE GALORE and alot of fun.

paws the great
01-21-2007, 03:17 AM
tcm (1978)

perhaps next gen tho its terrible and ill never watch it again....ever! but the new ones are just terrible

Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1978)?

can't get enough gore
01-21-2007, 07:36 AM

yes,the beginning is definently worth seeing...trust me i would not make this thread if i didn't know what i was talking about....get the unrated version....the level of gore in that film...you would have thought it was a SAW film...plus you get to see the full scene where he takes the guy's face off..

can't get enough gore
01-21-2007, 07:39 AM
tcm (1978)

beilieve me, the new ones are twice as good as number three...i'm not trying to insult people but it seems like people have not seen these movies...i mean how could you not like the new ones....see the 1974 version.....the beginning will give you something to think about while you try to go to sleep....

horror4u
01-21-2007, 07:57 AM
Yea I liked the 1974 version since it started it all , 2003 version because it was a remake but was still original in its own way to where you didnt know what would happen next, 2006 version because it brings it more together and explains leatherface in a better way then before. I was wondering about TCM2.. is that the one where they go into the ground through all the pipes? TCM3 is that the one where the woman has the studio? I dont guess I saw any of the other ones so I need to get on that.

the_real_linda
01-21-2007, 12:14 PM
sorry i got my dates mixed up.....ill give the new one a viewing.....i saw the remake and wasnt impressed....but ill have to watch the begining sometime right?

paws the great
01-21-2007, 12:55 PM
sorry i got my dates mixed up.....ill give the new one a viewing.....i saw the remake and wasnt impressed....but ill have to watch the begining sometime right?

Check out the unrated version.It's pretty good.;)

the_real_linda
01-21-2007, 02:26 PM
thanks i always try to get the fullest version possible

roshiq
01-21-2007, 11:32 PM
[1] The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (remake:2003)
[2] The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning (2006)
[3] The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (OriginaL: 1974)

I haven't seen rest of the films yet.

Elvis_Christ
01-22-2007, 01:04 AM
People who rag on Part 2 just don't have any taste :)

I'm looking foward to the new one when it gets its DVD release over here

the_real_linda
01-22-2007, 04:33 AM
i jumped when leatherface apears in the radio shack on tcm2...so cant be that bad and chop top freaked me out....eating his head

Shadow
01-22-2007, 05:27 AM
I have not yet seen all the TCM films however I am working on finding them. I am still debating what I think of the ones I have seen (original, TCM2 and the remake) as I have only seen each one once due to them being rented (really must get my own but you know money).

OK in the order that I seen them
The remake: was ok some good scenes but wasnt overly impressed.
The original: I was a little disappointed due to all the excited talk I had heard/read about it but I feel I need to watch again.
TCM2: I like this one it was out there and crazy. Chop Top made the film for me.

I shall have to watch all of the others in order to comment more might host a TCM weekend soon. Should be fun.

can't get enough gore
01-22-2007, 06:33 AM

I'm looking foward to the new one when it gets its DVD release over here

or they just know what they are talking about:) :p :cool:

illdojo
01-22-2007, 12:08 PM

I'm looking forward to the new one when it gets its DVD release over here

I agree....Part 2 rules. :cool: That is when Chop Top - (Bill Mosley) was introduced.
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e107/illdojo/choptop2.gif
My order is...
1) TCM 1
2) TCM 2
3) TCM The Beginning
4) TCM "Remake"
5) TCM 3 Leatherface
:mad: I completely hate The Next Generation :mad:

Despare
01-22-2007, 01:00 PM
its the one i watch over and over again.

i heard something about the disc getting a special release at some point

It just got a "Gruesome Edition", something even better?

Despare
01-22-2007, 01:12 PM
oh ! maybe that was it .. any extras ? double disk ?

Single disc, Tobe Hooper & David Gregory commentary. Bill Moseley, Tom Savini, and Caroline Williams commentary. Deleted scenes. "It Runs in the Family" featurette. 6 still galleries. And of course it's unrated.

a mccuaig
01-22-2007, 02:19 PM
tcm- the first one, very groovy. The second one was really funny! I haven't seen The Beginnings yet, I guess I'll have to check it out!

The_Return
01-22-2007, 04:44 PM
man, i'll have to look for this now ..

Not as expensive as you'd think, either...$15 here

Despare
01-22-2007, 04:58 PM
man, i'll have to look for this now ..

You could wait a little bit, somebody might send you a copy and then if it's worth it you could pick it up.

Posher778
01-24-2007, 04:34 PM
I didn't care for any of them. There isn't any gore... and its about a chainsaw killer. Just... boring.

The_Return
01-24-2007, 05:28 PM
I didn't care for any of them. There isn't any gore... and its about a chainsaw killer. Just... boring.

Obviously you havent watched #2

the_real_linda
01-24-2007, 05:31 PM
yeah my mum wouldnt let my sis watch tcm2 cause leather face had a crush

paws the great
01-24-2007, 05:35 PM
yeah my mum wouldnt let my sis watch tcm2 cause leather face had a crush

A crush or a BIG SAW!!:)

illdojo
01-24-2007, 05:38 PM
A crush or a BIG SAW!!:)

Both :D He was crushin on Stretch - aka- Darling.

the_real_linda
01-25-2007, 07:07 AM
yep and it was too much with the phalical imagery for my sis

The_Return
01-25-2007, 04:56 PM
yep and it was too much with the phalical imagery for my sis

...but she didnt care about the insane gore, violence and harsh language?

Maybe it's just me, but that seems a little backward.

gracie
01-27-2007, 12:19 AM
After watching TCM 1978 as a 12 year old it scared the shit out of me. Then TCM 2 was banned here in Australia for like 20 years. So when I eventually got hold of it I was alot older and had seen some pretty wild serious horror. I quess that ruined no.2 for me. Being banned I expected it to be far better than the original, but alas it wasn't. I went back and re watched the original one a day after seeing no2 just to make sure, and the original was so much better it was amazing. Unless No.2 was made as a comedy, aka Evil Dead 2, then it's ok. :)

~Chainsaw~
01-28-2007, 04:54 AM
BEST. MOVIE. EVER! EVER! EVER! Past, present, and future in all discovered, and undiscovered dimensions...nothing gets better than this!

The sequels, re-make, and the prequel of the re-make (ha!) are ok in their own way, but each have certain flaws (bad acting, lack of suspense) so nothing touches the original

the_real_linda
01-28-2007, 02:25 PM
yep nothing touches the original.....thats why tis always infront of me

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/9418/tnp10101248tv.jpg

~Chainsaw~
01-28-2007, 05:47 PM
BITCHING!

that is awesome

can't get enough gore
01-29-2007, 10:44 AM

awww i'm jealous lol

AmericanManiac
01-29-2007, 11:55 AM
I own everyone of them, and I must say the Original one is by far the best with out it you wouldn't have the remake or the beginning. It is also "based" on one of my favorite serial killers. Second favorite one is the Beginning, although there were only a few short added scenes in the "Unrated" Verison, it is a very great film and does explain a lot.

~Chainsaw~
01-29-2007, 03:12 PM
you speak the truth!

a mccuaig
01-31-2007, 08:50 AM
Now that is a wicked pic of leatherface! I need that!

can't get enough gore
01-31-2007, 03:07 PM

i just ordered TCM,dawn of the dead,and the halloween with the pumpkin holding the knife...they are all posters and i will get them framed...pics A.S.A.P!!!!!!!