PDA

View Full Version : Alexandre Aja

Shady
11-12-2006, 05:30 PM
Although he has not directed or written more than 5 movies I think this guy is pure genius. Hills Have Eyes Remake and High Tension were outstanding and actually gave me hope in horror movies today.

Despare
11-12-2006, 07:56 PM
Although he has not directed or written more than 5 movies I think this guy is pure genius. Hills Have Eyes Remake and High Tension were outstanding and actually gave me hope in horror movies today.

Both movies were beautiful, I really hope he stays close to the genre.

The_Return
11-12-2006, 08:07 PM
Havent bothered with High Tension yet, but I was a little disapointed with the Hills Have Eyes remake.

noctuary
11-13-2006, 04:38 AM
I enjoyed both films very much. I think that Aja has what it takes to be one of the most lauded horror directors of modern times. His films aren't perfect, but with time, hopefully Aja will master the craft.

Roderick Usher
11-13-2006, 07:56 AM
I try to stay positive in these threads. I don't see any reason to rip anyone apart or belittle anyone's work, but I just can't leave this one alone.

I really don't like Aja. Yeah, his stuff is really pretty but...

It's all glamour. There's no soul...hell, there's no heart in it either.

I despised High Tension - nothing in the movie holds up to the reveal, everything is made moot by the so-called "twist." A twist has to be logical to work and there isn't a hint of logic to it (the non-existant bad guy getting "head" in the beginning? a car chase with yourself? a fist fight with yourself?)
I undearstand and appreciate the concept, but he failed miserably in the execution.

And the Hills Have Eyes remake was weak stuff. Sure there were a couple of good bits, but the ridiculous super-human strength of the mutants in the opening sequence took me right out of the film. In order for a "gritty" horror to be effective, everthing has to stay grounded in reality - this one just bored me.

Maybe he has a good film in him, he has a good eye, but I'll be avoiding anything he writes.

Vodstok
11-13-2006, 08:32 AM
I try to stay positive in these threads. I don't see any reason to rip anyone apart or belittle anyone's work, but I just can't leave this one alone.

I really don't like Aja. Yeah, his stuff is really pretty but...

It's all glamour. There's no soul...hell, there's no heart in it either.

I despised High Tension - nothing in the movie holds up to the reveal, everything is made moot by the so-called "twist." A twist has to be logical to work and there isn't a hint of logic to it (the non-existant bad guy getting "head" in the beginning? a car chase with yourself? a fist fight with yourself?)
I undearstand and appreciate the concept, but he failed miserably in the execution.

And the Hills Have Eyes remake was weak stuff. Sure there were a couple of good bits, but the ridiculous super-human strength of the mutants in the opening sequence took me right out of the film. In order for a "gritty" horror to be effective, everthing has to stay grounded in reality - this one just bored me.

Maybe he has a good film in him, he has a good eye, but I'll be avoiding anything he writes.

I enjoyed The Hills Have Eyes remake, but then again, i was expecting something just awful, and was pleasantly surprised by what I got.

High tension however.... i was really on the fence on that one and it doesnt seem like anythign i was going to be too terribly interested in.

melaniepants
11-13-2006, 10:39 AM
The Hills have eyes remake was great. I enjoyed it very much

The Mothman
11-14-2006, 07:18 PM
I absolutley love Aja. hes one of my favorite film makers, even though hes only made 2 movies. Hes films are beatiful, atmospheric and creepy. i hope he sticks with it.

roshiq
11-14-2006, 10:58 PM
He is a promising film maker.

anyone know what's his next project?

bwind22
11-14-2006, 11:58 PM
Aja is great at giving us heaps of gore, but I'm with Roderick on High Tension. The twist totally made that movie incoherent. (Kinda like the twist in the first Saw film. It just punched too many holes in the plot.) Hills Have Eyes was an alright remake of a film that did not need to be redone (Alot like Dawn of the Dead & TCM remakes). I don't know... Aja's got some potential. He's great with the gore, but his storytelling/writing ability leaves something to be desired in my opinion. As far as I'm concerned, the jury is still out with him... I'll have to see a few more films from him before I can really decide if I'm a fan or not. Right now, I've got him ranked somewhere in between Uwe Boll and George Romero.

Popsicle Cannibal
11-18-2006, 09:48 PM
He's sure to become a wonderful filmmaker. I thought The Hills Have Eyes remake was much more entertaining and suspenseful than the amateurish original. (Wes Craven wasn't all that great yet, although I've never thought much of his directorial style while in his prime either.)