PDA

View Full Version : I'm Ed, a horror comic writer

Amtekoth
10-23-2006, 09:28 PM
I figure that's a decent way to start.

A decade ago, I was writing horror comics for a small publisher in Chicago in my spare time. I met some cool people and had some fun. Eventually, the company went under and everyone went their own way. Some continued in comics (Brian Azzarello, Rafe Nieves, Kyle Hotz, the Moy brothers), and some headed to parts unknown.

Well, I've been posting some of my old horror stories online here: A Gathering of Crows (http://www.graphicsmash.com/comics/crows.php?view=toc). Now I'm making the rounds and introducing myself.

I'm running low on the old material, but I've been inspired to write a few new stories. In the months ahead, I'll be asking for suggestions in terms of finding artists that I can work with.

In the meantime, please drop by the site and let me know what you think. I can also be reached at: GatheringofCrows-at-hotmail.com .

Thanks,

Ed

Roderick Usher
10-23-2006, 10:37 PM
welcome Ed. comic writer? very cool. I'm a screenwriter.

Hang around, throw your opinions around. I'm sure you'll have a wealth of info to contribute - and I'm sure the comic forum will eat you up.

bwind22
10-23-2006, 11:06 PM
Are you looking for comic artists to work pro bono or that you will pay? I have a buddy that has illustrated a few children's books, but his main interest is in comics. (Preacher, Sin City, etc..) He'd probably be real interested if it's a paying gig, but he's a young gent just starting out on his career and I kinda doubt he'd have the time to do it if he wasn't getting paid. Let me know and I will put him in touch with you. Also, I'll read through your website and throw ya some feedback when I get a few free minutes...

the_real_linda
10-24-2006, 10:02 AM
well im a comic fan so theres a start and oh hello

X¤MurderDoll¤X
10-24-2006, 12:31 PM
well ed, it kinda looks like spam to me. Like you just came here to get people to go to your site, ya know?

AmericanManiac
10-24-2006, 12:55 PM
I just said to myself wow noone flamed this guy yet then I scroll to the last post....... disappointing Murder :D . Well Ed if you want my info stick around, this is probley one of the best Horror Sites out there. Most of the people are really friendly, and great people to talk to and get opinions from.

What kind of artists are you looking for ? Did you more want to go more towards digital art, or old school ? I must say i'm not a very good artists when it comes to hand drawing, put spicing them up digitally that's a differnt story. I do have 7 characters I have done for a cartoon I am working on with some buddies, for reference. Also I have a kick ass buddy who is an amazing artists and he is also really into comic I could also put you in touch with him. But just let me know about everything.

Amtekoth
10-25-2006, 06:34 AM
What kind of artists are you looking for ? Did you more want to go more towards digital art, or old school ?

My preference depends on the story. I've got a zombie story that would benefit from an old school, Bernie Wrightson-like artist. There's another that is more Twilight-zone in nature and should have a more realistic look, in my opinion.

well ed, it kinda looks like spam to me. Like you just came here to get people to go to your site, ya know?

Hi MD. Thanks for the big, warm, fuzzy welcome. Bite me :D You know, in a vampire sort of way.

Ed

Amtekoth
10-25-2006, 07:00 AM
Are you looking for comic artists to work pro bono or that you will pay? I have a buddy that has illustrated a few children's books, but his main interest is in comics. (Preacher, Sin City, etc..) He'd probably be real interested if it's a paying gig, but he's a young gent just starting out on his career and I kinda doubt he'd have the time to do it if he wasn't getting paid. Let me know and I will put him in touch with you. Also, I'll read through your website and throw ya some feedback when I get a few free minutes...

The payment issue has kept me from posting earlier. I needed to have enough money to give the artists something up front. The current crop of stories were paid for a LONG time ago. So those artists get a cut of any merchandise sales based on their art..T-shirts, whatever. Also, some of the stories are being reprinted in Mystery Manor magazine, and the cash is split evenly among the creators. The artists also keep the right to do whatever they want with the art themselves.

I also put out a weekly humor webcomic, Lab Bratz (http://labbratz.comicgenesis.com). I pay Max Velati for every episode he draws, up front. In addition we share revenue. So when a company wanted to license Lab Bratz for their newsletter, they paid for that and we shared the money.

Now, I can't afford a big-name artist with a big price tag. But I don't want crap, either.

New, non-professional artists have to pay their dues. Most new artists have an exaggerated sense of their abilities and they need more practice before they are ready for the big time. The more exposure they get early on, the more likely the big boyz will take notice and hire them for big bucks later on.

Most postings for artists by writers or 'publishers' are for back-end deals only. Some of those work out, most do not. Did the artists lose anything? They might feel that they did, but...they put in their time, got the work out there (hopefully), and now have more polished pieces for their portfolios.

That said, I prefer to pay people something up front for their time and effort, even if they aren't established pros. I don't ask anyone to work pro bono, even if the moola is coming out of MY pocket to keep them happy.

Ed

Amtekoth
10-25-2006, 07:04 AM
I have a buddy that has illustrated a few children's books, but his main interest is in comics.

By the way, is there some place I can go to see his published work?

Vodstok
10-25-2006, 08:54 AM
I'm a... short.. story... writer... who has never been published...

great, leave it to Rod and a new guy to make me feel like a failure....

nice site BTW. I have picked Rod's brain to oblivion with screenwriting tips. Be prepared, I have been considering comic writing too, so you may soon know the sting of my questioning.

BudMan
10-25-2006, 09:16 AM
I'm a... short.. story... writer... who has never been published...

He's not that short ED. Only in the pants.

Welcome to the site.

Vodstok
10-25-2006, 10:05 AM
My pants arent short.

Oh, I get it.

Bastard....

Amtekoth
10-25-2006, 07:28 PM
I'm sure the comic forum will eat you up.

You know, in a horror setting, that's rather disturbing...

Anyway, I haven't posted there yet. I read through the thread started by the creator of Nightmare World. He goes by Dirk Manley now and is an excellent writer. We hung out at the Wizardworld-Chicago comicbook convention this summer. Great guy. I don't know how he gets so many artists to work for him for free. (Oh wait...he writes really cool stories).

Ed

bwind22
10-25-2006, 10:29 PM
By the way, is there some place I can go to see his published work?

I'm sure he has a website set up or a portfolio online somewhere. I'll get in touch with him and see if I can track it down for ya.

bwind22
10-26-2006, 10:50 PM
I talked to my buddy today. Evidently his website just crashed 2 days ago and he is in the process of finding a new host. Once he has one up, I'll post it here. I'll pass along your website to him though since yours is fully functional. ;)

Elvis_Christ
10-26-2006, 11:17 PM
^^ Yay spam for all.

WERD

Amtekoth
10-27-2006, 01:23 PM
I talked to my buddy today. Evidently his website just crashed 2 days ago and he is in the process of finding a new host. Once he has one up, I'll post it here. I'll pass along your website to him though since yours is fully functional. ;)

Thanks.

I live in fear that one of my sites will crash. I have so few skillz and lack both time and patience to redo all this stuff.

Of course, I just live in fear, period.

iceman
10-28-2006, 10:52 AM
Hi
Welcome to the site, i am new here myself, i am a sculptor, love to make all kinds of stuff, if you ever need to see anything in 3d give me a holler:D

Amtekoth
11-20-2006, 07:52 AM
Hi
Welcome to the site, i am new here myself, i am a sculptor, love to make all kinds of stuff, if you ever need to see anything in 3d give me a holler:D

There are a couple of images that I would LOVE to see done in 3-D, but I don't have the money to support that and I don't think I have the demand for products by the fans either. One image would be: Eric the murderer (http://www.cafepress.com/gatheringcrows.79738875) (seen here on a T-shirt). Another would be: Werewolf Leaping (http://www.graphicsmash.com/users/edwarddunphy/20060317-Vicious-Page-6.jpg) .

What medium do you use?

Ed

The Flayed One
11-20-2006, 08:05 AM
I'll go ahead and spam for my best friend, Dusty Peterson. You might try to drop him an email. He's very busy, though, and very strict about having part of the money for the job up front.

http://home.comcast.net/~turbutter5/main.html

He's a video game artist, and works mostly in Photoshop. One of the biggest things he has on his resume is artwork for the game F.E.A.R.

Finding an artist is a pain in the ass. Seems like there are hundreds out there saying they're willing to work for you. When you actually give them material to work with, I find 90% of them get lazy and don't want to finish what they started.

Here's a piece of his work:

http://home.comcast.net/~turbutter5/pnt6.jpg

Amtekoth
11-20-2006, 08:40 AM
Awesome art there, Flayed One. Dusty looks like a great cover artist as well as a graphic/computer artist. Does he have any sequentials?

Ed

The Flayed One
11-20-2006, 08:50 AM
I don't know if he does. I usually talk to him every day, I'll ask him.

He might actually be a lot better suited to be a cover artist, actually. It would fit into his schedule a lot better.