PDA

View Full Version : Creature Feature

evildemontoo
10-02-2006, 07:07 PM
Growing up in Baltimore, Maryland, on Saturday nights after the news there was a program called "Creature Feature". It was so awesome and I saw all most all of my first horror movies there, primarily the classics. Any way the host of the show was a guy dressed as a vampire Count Gore De Vol, he would introduce the movie. Frankly I love him because he is an icon for me in the horror medium, but he really is pretty annoying. BUT, he is still at it and has a website that is pretty cool:

www.countgore.com

This site is chock full of interesting horror stuff, interviews, movie and book reviews, they even a weekly movie you can watch online! Sorry kids! Usually a black and white one. There is a links page that is awesome and on Saturday nights at 10 PM EST they have a horror chat.

Like I said the hosts are annoying (but I still love the old Count), but Creature Feature is a Baltimore staple that will never go away!

Have fun fiends, urrr I mean friends!

- evildemontoo

evildemontoo
10-02-2006, 07:16 PM
Nooo, I don't think so, that sounds different. Probably everywhere had a Saturday night Creature Feature program! This was definitly Baltimore based, started out with wind and lightening going down a path with an old board sign swinging that said Creature Feature on it.

crabapple
10-02-2006, 07:58 PM
Yeah, in Los Angeles we had one too, well, it was called "Creature Features," I think, plural...and it started with an image of a miniature dungeon with figures chained to the walls screaming. And the figures were actually little rubber wiggly toys you could buy at the store...someone had attached little wires or sticks to them so they could be made to shake in the shot...and over all this was a generic "haunted house" sound effects track. This would have been around the early 70's...

And I remember having one of the rubber toys seen in the opening sequence, and I seem to remember my folks buying the toy at the local Lucky supermarket back when the monster craze was still pretty big...it was one of those little 75-cent rubber wigglies.

Back then they had a lot of little monster goodies in those machines for a quarter, you could get monster pins, and rubber bouncing balls with monster faces in them, and so on.

evildemontoo
10-03-2006, 10:29 AM
ahhhhhh Crabby, those were the days....

check out the website though, there is some cool stuff in there

www.countgore.com

Roderick Usher
10-03-2006, 04:28 PM
Holy Shit!

I'm from DC and used to watch Count Gore De Vol on creature feature every week!

He also hosted the morning kid's show as Captain 20 (complete with rubber "spock" ears!) Feeling kinda old here:D

evildemontoo
10-03-2006, 05:53 PM
LOL that is Awesome! Yes he was also Captain Twenty! At the HorrorFind convention last year, I met him and was gushing how I always watched Creature Feature and he was a big part of my memories, blah, blah, lol. He was very nice about it. He does appear around town at different stuff. Yeah, I feel old too! lol. Are you still in DC??

PS - Did you ever see Captain Chesepeake and Moandy the Sea Monster on Channel 45? LOL

crabapple
10-03-2006, 09:52 PM
Count Gore is fun and so is his alter ego Richard Dyszel, who has shown up in some of Don Dohler's wonderful horror films.

Roderick Usher
10-04-2006, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by evildemontoo
Are you still in DC??
PS - Did you ever see Captain Chesepeake and Moandy the Sea Monster on Channel 45? LOL

Yeah I remember Capt Chesapeake. Ugh, really feeling old now.

I'm no longer in DC. living in LA now, but still cheering for the 'Skins and missing the ways the trees change - especially at Harper's Ferry or Skyline Drive:(

urgeok
10-04-2006, 08:58 AM
every local station seemed to have their own horror host ,,
the smaller the station the better they were.

i cant remember much of the one i watched on saturday mornings as a kid but it came out of New York state .. Syracuse

Dr Witty and his sidekick Epal (weird)

oh man i did a google search and found a huge index of TV horror hosts.

the show i was looking for was there ... i would have been watching in the late 60's - early 70's

DR. E. NICK WITTY and EPAL *
(Alan Milair and "Bill Everett" [real name = Willard Lape, Jr.; died September 19, 2004])
Monster Movie Matinee
Saturday afternoon at 1:00
WSYR (now WSTM-TV), Channel 3 (Syracuse, New York)
1964 - 1980
Chamber 13 - Tales of Horror
Day? Time?
Cable Channel 13 (Syracuse, New York)
1980 - 1985

the web page for the index is :

http://myweb.wvnet.edu/e-gor/tvhorrorhosts/hostsd.html