PDA

View Full Version : Organization

VampiricClown
09-30-2006, 11:56 AM
How do you fine people of HDC organize your movie collection?

I know some of you really don't find the need to because you may watch more of them on TV. But for those of you who do find the need to be neat and orderly, how do you do it?

I am currently getting them done by which ones I've watched, year, then by title.

And where do you find enough room for all of them???:confused:

ItsAlive75
09-30-2006, 12:36 PM
The majority of my movies are burned, so they just sit in big binders on my floor. The others are on a bookshelf. No organization though. That seems like a lot of time spent on something when I could be doing a bevy of other things.

punk666
09-30-2006, 12:47 PM
i have my dvds like all the zombie ones 2gether then the vampire 1s n also the actors like all the vincent price 1s n so on lol

The Flayed One
09-30-2006, 01:30 PM
All alphabetized. I actually follow the order from my dvdaficionado account. Sometimes it can get a little inconvenient, such as Wes Cravens New Nightmare being far away from the rest of the collection. As far as where, well, I'm constantly running out of room.

crabapple
09-30-2006, 01:39 PM
I sort of arrange them haphazardly on shelves and in boxes. When it looks like I have too many to keep track of, I go through everything and pick out the ones I really hate, then I give those away or sell them so they will stop bothering me.

VampiricClown
09-30-2006, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by crabapple
I sort of arrange them haphazardly on shelves and in boxes. When it looks like I have too many to keep track of, I go through everything and pick out the ones I really hate, then I give those away or sell them so they will stop bothering me.

I'm open to any horror movies you want to give away. :D

Haunted
09-30-2006, 01:45 PM
Organization schmorganization! Organization is for people who have way too much time on their hands.

azathoth777
09-30-2006, 02:03 PM
They're all in DVD racks.
I organize them by director, in order of favorite films by them. The rest just by favorite. The ones I like/watch more closer to the top. And my horror titles are seperate from the rest of my DVDs

Roderick Usher
09-30-2006, 02:44 PM
by genre
classic creature, zombie, slasher, crime films, samurai, anime etc.

Phalanx
09-30-2006, 03:59 PM
The burned stuff I organise in little purple and black zip-up cd cases, I have movies in one organised by categorie (eg - action, horror, animated, comedy...etc), cooking shows in another, and various tv series in the others.

The movies and the rest of the stuff I've got official copies of I just keep in the entertainment unit, they go like 3 rows back. Sometimes I take 'em out and work out the stuff I wanna watch in the next few weeks or month, and put that stuff up in the front row, but that's about all...no real organised method to it.

The_Return
09-30-2006, 04:19 PM
I sort them by genre, and alphbetically within genres. If a movie doesnt really fit into one of the gebres I have, I'll usually just put it with horror [IE: The Machinist, Eraserhead]

Here's a REALLY outdated pic to show how I store them. I have two of these now...all the single DVDs are on one, and all the boxsets and VHS tapes are in the other.

This is the tail end of horror, followed by "Mystery" (which is now mixed in with either horror or Drama), the whole comedy section, plus the first of Action.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i94/Vampenguin/100_0731.jpg

_____V_____
09-30-2006, 06:47 PM
Mine are arranged alphabetically, in order in which you ll see on DVD Profiler online if you click on the link "My DVDs" below.

I used to have em all over the place but once I realised last year that I had 300-odd DVDs already I took time off and arranged em. And since then they have stayed that way. Right now I should have around 600-odd of em. I m planning to sell off some of the older ones soon though. :(

I got shelves made in my bedroom which store em. They look much like Vamp's racks, but they are broader lengthwise, not breadthwise, if you know what I mean. I ll post a pic of it soon.

:D

Disease
09-30-2006, 10:43 PM
Since I moved into this apartment 4 months ago, most of them are pilled up in the closet but i stack around ten next to the tv until i've watched them again then change them over............. it makes sense to me

stygianwitch
10-01-2006, 02:47 AM
mine are all in big boxes at the moment, with my favourites in a pile next to the TV, once i've got shelf units made then they'll go on there, alphabetically by title, simply because that's the easiest way to find one, when i wanna watch a movie i don't want to have to waste half an hour looking for the damn thing

alkytrio666
10-01-2006, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by The Flayed One
All alphabetized. I actually follow the order from my dvdaficionado account.

Me too. :)

And I have a couple DVD racks. They're filled now.

pinkfloyd45769
10-01-2006, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by The_Return
I sort them by genre, and alphbetically within genres. If a movie doesnt really fit into one of the gebres I have, I'll usually just put it with horror [IE: The Machinist, Eraserhead]

Here's a REALLY outdated pic to show how I store them. I have two of these now...all the single DVDs are on one, and all the boxsets and VHS tapes are in the other.

This is the tail end of horror, followed by "Mystery" (which is now mixed in with either horror or Drama), the whole comedy section, plus the first of Action.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i94/Vampenguin/100_0731.jpg Whoa, bright walls! :p

zwoti
10-01-2006, 01:03 PM
boxes...floor...

The_Return
10-01-2006, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by pinkfloyd45769
Whoa, bright walls! :p

The other corner of the room is black, lol:p

ItsAlive75
10-01-2006, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by The_Return
The other corner of the room is black, lol:p

What are ya, a Steelers fan or somethin'?

The_Return
10-01-2006, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by ItsAlive75
What are ya, a Steelers fan or somethin'?

Not to my knowledge:p

Marroe
10-01-2006, 03:27 PM
I NEVER organize anything. My boyfriend on the other hand is a freak about all of our DVD's being in alphabetical order. I like the look on his face when I go touch something on the DVD rack...all paranoid and shit:p It's also pretty funny when we get new DVD's and he has to re-organize the entire thing.

VampiricClown
10-01-2006, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Marroe
I NEVER organize anything. My boyfriend on the other hand is a freak about all of our DVD's being in alphabetical order. I like the look on his face when I go touch something on the DVD rack...all paranoid and shit:p It's also pretty funny when we get new DVD's and he has to re-organize the entire thing.

Haha, he sounds like me
....Can't....Stand.....Out.....Of.....Order....MOV IES!!!!

The_Return
10-01-2006, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Marroe

Im the same way.

Disorganized as hell with everything else, but I cant stand to have a DVD out of place.

crimson_ghost
10-01-2006, 08:54 PM
The ones I have only watched one cos they suck are hidden at the back and the ones I like are visible, no specific order but all the series are together e.g Howlings, Leprechauns and Friday The 13th, also dumped all the Depp films together.

urgeok
10-02-2006, 06:49 AM
i go by genre ..

horror across the top of the wall (but i ran out of room and its invading the rest of the wall here and there.
J-horror has its own section.

Sci-fi/fantasy/anime down the side
a section for asian action, a section for music related films..
a section for foreign, a row of comedy right acreoos the wall, and another of drama, but theres a lot of blending between the 2.

finally - the bottom row is all kids films ..

(disney has its own section) .. alphabetically ? not a chance !

i did it by practicality - keep the kids movies within my guys reach - and the 'bad stuff' up high where he cant see it.

as far as laserdiscs and tapes go .. i tried to organize it but its kind of a lost cause

Haunted
10-02-2006, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by zwoti
boxes...floor...

Thank god... I was beginning to get really scared that everyone on the forum was completely OCD, but zwoti's okay.

I don't even keep my occult library in order. They're kept safe, just not in any order.

Vodstok
10-02-2006, 10:24 AM
How i organize my DVDs:

Bree puts them away in Alphabettical order, i try like hell not to forget. Works well, the house looks nice and i get to sleep indoors :D

urgeok
10-02-2006, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Vodstok
How i organize my DVDs:

Bree puts them away in Alphabettical order,

i'd love to see her try at my place :)

Vodstok
10-02-2006, 10:52 AM
I dont think she would bother trying to order them, just every 2 weeks she would try to compromise to get as many of them into storage or given away as possible. she can be very convincing.

urgeok
10-02-2006, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Vodstok
I dont think she would bother trying to order them, just every 2 weeks she would try to compromise to get as many of them into storage or given away as possible. she can be very convincing.

my 'x' was like that ;)

Miss Olivia
10-03-2006, 12:17 AM
I have an entertainment center full of DVD's which are separated by genre, and a bookshelf full of VHS which are semi alphebetized. I need more shelves.