PDA

View Full Version : take that, Creative Writing class!

The STE
09-21-2006, 09:43 PM
so today in my Creative Writing class we developed two characters, and we had to write either a letter from one to the other or a journal entry from one. Mine started off kinda humorous, but I decided to give it more of a darker tone halfway through. It was fun hearing the other people in the class giggle a bit at some of the stuff at the beginning and then it slowly getting dead quiet.
(note: Stu is the name of his goldfish)

Dr. Xavier Shaft's journal entry:

Dear Journal,
Today I wrote a nasty letter to Edna, but I didn't have any money, so Kinko's wouldn't let me print it. So I burned the building down. Then I hired a construction crew to rebuild it, but part of the way through they found out I had no money, so they quit. So I burned down the construction workers. Then I burned down the half-finished building. I was going to burn down the place Edna strips at, but Mapquest gave me bad directions. So I burned down another Kinko's. Stu told me to stop burning things down. I hate Stu. Stu, if you're reading this, screw you! I'd burn you down if you didn't live in water. Speaking of which, it rained the other day and I killed a hobo. Then I found his kids and gave them all deep-tissue massages. One day a real rain is gonna come and wash away all the scum in this city. All these people running around from one pit to the next, oblivious or apathetic to the fact that they're all a bunch of junkies and lowlifes. People like Edna. I hate Edna. One day she'll come to me and ask me to help her. To save her. And I'll just look her right in the eye and tell her "no." She's made her choices, she'll have to live with them. I love you, Edna.

gradually,
Shaft.

Vodstok
09-22-2006, 12:30 PM
Why didnt they giggle all the way through? i thought it was funny, good work.

if it was supposed to be serious at the end, oops. i thought you were being ironic :)

The STE
09-22-2006, 03:50 PM
all together I guess it's funny, but the first part I was thinking "hehe, yeah, that'll be funny" as I wrote it, and the second part I was thinking "ok, how crazy can I make him sound?" as I wrote it. The 'gradually' part was facetious as well

btw, the first thing I wrote was the nasty letter to Edna in question, which read as such:

Dear Edna,
Fuck you!

love,
Shaft

knife_fight
09-22-2006, 04:12 PM
you don't like Taxi Driver much, do you? kidding.

is this high school, or college? in my high school creative writing class we could never have gotten away with something like that. I got an F on a project once just for using the phrase "piss on that," which is what I decided to use after I chose not to include the eff bomb.

but, if I knew then what I know now, I would not have cared as much. (if any of you are in high school, that last part was a joke. study hard! be cool, stay in school!)

The STE
09-22-2006, 04:28 PM
Taxi Driver is the greatest movie ever

I'm in college, but in high school I took a creative writing class where the guy teaching it was cool as hell. The short story I wrote was about a guy going through heroin de-tox, the poems I wrote had drug references in them, and one of the characters in the play me and a friend wrote was a drug dealer.

scaryminda15
09-25-2006, 06:23 AM
very good funny and sencere nice i like it