PDA

View Full Version : Quaziness

Vodstok
09-12-2006, 07:55 AM
Anyone ever see the Southpark episode that got Issaac Hayes to quit?

i found an interesting website:
http://www.xenu.net/

if you dig far enough, you find the transcript that (to my eyes) must have been the source for the explanation of scientology they had in that episode, complete with evil alien overlords, volcanoes and alien spirits watching movvies. Sound retarded? I think so.

Are there any Scientologists at HDC? I cant garuntee you wont get picked on if you admit to it... Everyone has a right to their own beliefs, but even if all religions were made up, at least most of them have a few thousand years of history behind them, rather than oh... 40 or 50 something.....

Now, John Travolta has proven that just because you are a scientologist doesnt mean you are a shitty person. he seems to be a good guy,a dn refuses to discuss scientology, stating that it is deeply personal. Good boy.

Too bad the rest of them dont seem to see things that way.

Does anyone think Scientology is anything other than a cult? or worse, a huge stinking ile of bullshit?

I certainly dont. i think it is garbage, but i am curious about other people's feelings.

PS, in case you were wondering, L Ron Hubbard made the whole thing up.

newb
09-12-2006, 08:35 AM
Any Tom Cruise believes in must be the only truth.

http://www.shanghaiist.com/attachments/shang_dan/tomcruisecrazyshanghai.jpg

http://bestsmileys.com/hyper/5.gif

Vodstok
09-12-2006, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by newb
Any Tom Cruise believes in must be the only truth.

http://www.shanghaiist.com/attachments/shang_dan/tomcruisecrazyshanghai.jpg

http://bestsmileys.com/hyper/5.gif Ya got me there. 'Cause he's really smart. He couldnt read until his 40s.

Haunted
09-12-2006, 09:06 AM
Haw! I should be tolerant towards religion due to a number of factors, but I can't handle Scientology.

Break down the name: It means, "the study of science." Er... If I'm not mistaken, science, even radical science like Quantum Physics tries to purge itself of anything that can't be tested. Religion can't really be tested by science, so science doesn't give religion a whole hell of a lot of credit. So, calling a religion Scientology just opens yourself up to a bunch of shit from many different perspectives.

My roommate in college was a huge Travolta fan, and like me has a BA in Religious Studies. We took a class together called: Cults and Religions on the Fringe. Our final was an essay where we were to pick a fringe religion or cult and do a research thesis on this community. She chose Scientology. By the end of her thesis she told me that not only were these the creepiest people she'd ever heard of, but that she'd lost all respect for John Travolta.

Personally, I've never seen a "religion" flaunt the use of brainwashing techniques, and then get away with it.

So...why in the hell are people still picking on NeoPagans? Go fuck with the Scientologists!

Vodstok
09-12-2006, 09:18 AM
It's easier. Pagans bite back. Scientologists get big lawyers in sharp suits and sue the living shit out of people they dont like. Really, any group with membership fees is a club, not a religion.

Haunted
09-12-2006, 11:25 AM
Nobody pickets like NeoPagans. Man, we march the streets, send out fliers, and flood our Congresspersons with all kinds of shit. (Of course, they laugh at us, but what'd'ya do?)

Vodstok
09-12-2006, 11:30 AM
You apparently also thwart occupying forces by allying yourself with established powers. :D

have you looked at "Operation Clambake" (the website above)?

It is interesting. a LOT of reading.

Roderick Usher
09-12-2006, 03:26 PM
Hubbard first suggested Scientology as a new school of philosophy, but was laughed out of academia

then he realized he could gain tax-free status is he called it a religion

I am often driving by the giant Scientology compound (on L. Ron Hubbard Way) in Hollywood. Never miss a chance to yell "suckers!" out the window at them.

Sure it's immature, but it always makes me smile...so I guess the Thetan-loving dip-shits are good for something:p

azathoth777
09-12-2006, 04:37 PM
Can't trust a religion made up by a sci-fi writer. The worlds largest cult and total bullshit. Making fun of it almost makes me feel bad because it's just so damn easy, it just asks for it.
......almost.......

hitman3005
09-23-2006, 10:04 PM
I drank all my thetans to death years ago! :D

Phalanx
09-23-2006, 11:23 PM
I personally think ANY religion is pretty much bullshit.
I'm not saying that means there's no god-type thing, or any kind of afterlife, I think those are seperate matters.
Religion as established by man is crap.
Write your own rulebook, subject to change as the higher ups see fit. And what's with the ripping into other religions? It's funny that the most outspoken people against other religions would more than likely claim to be religious themselves...speaking of their beliefs as though they're the be all and end all, while putting shit on the others (something that incidentally most religious texts say you shouldn't do), yet all the while, almost every more established religion says that if you follow the wrong one, you're damned...Religion has only ever caused trouble, and will continue to do so...if they've not yet, it's only a matter of time.
I say ANY god/s out there could only be pleased by a person having a value system by which they do more good than harm...don't fuck with other people, don't waste time on hatred and persocution of another religion, don't kill without reason, don't take what doesn't belong to you.
How hard is that? You don't need a religion to know what's right and wrong.
IMO, if any kind of gods have anything to do with any kind of religion, they're a test to weed out the ignorant. Think about it...if the whole "don't follow false idols" (is that it?) which pops up in various religions is true...the only really safe, logical decision to make is not to follow any, and act according to honest values, live without hurting others and the world around you...I think anyone who really takes more from a religion than that is a fucking idiot in the first place.
I don't even really THINK about religion...too much contradiction and foolishness...it's all I've ever seen of it.

re: the thread
scientology to me, seems only as fake and full of shit as all the others...nothing good or bad to say about them...asking for money isn't something exactly new to religious "causes", neither is getting people to act like mislead fools. For these reasons, I pay them little attention.

Disease
09-24-2006, 12:55 AM
one day when a scientoligist stopped me on the street, I was kinda wandering aimlessly so i did the personality test, then they put me in a room and showed me some propaganda films, then tried to sell me a book.

It all seemed rather pointless.....

Vodstok
09-25-2006, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by Disease
one day when a scientoligist stopped me on the street, I was kinda wandering aimlessly so i did the personality test, then they put me in a room and showed me some propaganda films, then tried to sell me a book.

It all seemed rather pointless..... Great, so it's crept overseas....

But then again, i guess even Aussies have Thetans....:rolleyes:

urgeok
09-25-2006, 07:59 AM
the only difference between a cult and a religion, is the number of members in it.

as far as i'm concerned ... there arent any religions - just cults of varying sizes.

the only people who got it right were the native american indians - and probably some other aborigional races here and there - in africa and australia.

i'm specifically refering to living in harmony with the earth. Many were still ignorant, fighting, slave owning, and tribal - nothing is ever perfect where people are concerned.