PDA

View Full Version : Who's earned a "sellout"?

The STE
09-07-2006, 01:06 PM
You know the types. They do some really great stuff, be it music or movies, but it's not mainstream enough to get a lot of money or publicity. And then down the line they do something generic or mainstream (though not necessarily bad), and you think "Yeah, it's not as good as the stuff he used to do, but fuck it, he deserves the giant-ass paycheck"

Who do you think has earned a "sellout"?

*-note: I don't view it as "selling out", but I couldn't think of a better term to use

The_Return
09-07-2006, 01:11 PM
I think Sam Raimi is the obvious answer here.

XtRaVa
09-07-2006, 01:17 PM
Would have said George Romeo, thats if I didnt watch Land of the Dead which I thought was awful.

Despare
09-07-2006, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by The_Return
I think Sam Raimi is the obvious answer here.

Really? I think Sam did a comic book movie he always wanted to do. I think for this one I'd say George Lucas, and I liked 1-3... it just wasn't up to snuff. Wes Craven probably earns this monicker as well. I don't think it's "selling out" either because they're making a living and hopefully the big check pays for their next great film. Peter Jackson might be lumped in here with Romero as well, and as before I liked LotD and King Kong was ok too.

crabapple
09-07-2006, 01:23 PM
Land of the Dead was George Romero's sell-out vehicle. I didn't really like it at all, but I'm happy that he made a good chunk of change off a major studio deal. He's worked for it. He deserves it after all these years.

urgeok
09-07-2006, 01:25 PM
tim burton..

i would have never said sam raimi ..

The STE
09-07-2006, 01:45 PM
while it's probably an unpopular answer, I'll say Colin Farrell. I saw him in Tigerland before he got big, and when he started getting all these big roles I was happy. And I still think Tigerland is one of the best movies I've seen.

crabapple
09-07-2006, 01:52 PM
Don Coscarelli, too, for coming up with that first Phantasm movie. Very clever and cleverly made, very influential. He's doing okay too, apparently. Bravo to him and his peeps.

Roderick Usher
09-07-2006, 01:56 PM
Tom Waits deserves a "sellout"

his music is amazingly evocative and ends up in tons of movies, but he hasn't ever really had a hit.

Zero
09-07-2006, 01:58 PM
me

Zero
09-07-2006, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by omcdave
zero whats up money man?

sorry - - - i can't talk to you people anymore - - - i've got to go have dinner with Bono and the members of Franz Ferdinand, oh and Coldplay. . .all members of the BIG SELLOUT CLUB

Haunted
09-07-2006, 03:12 PM
As the only apparent U2 fan on the entire fucking forum, why does everyone always pick on Bono? U2's been around since I was born. Also, he didn't just jump on the humanitarian bandwagon. The dude's been doing that pretty much for his entire career. He started his efforts in Ireland, earning himself a few threats from the IRA. When U2 got a little more famous, right about the time The Unforgettable Fire came out or War (the album), he and his wife Ali went to South America to do humanitarian aide. Then there was The Joshua Tree and Rattle and Hum where he was raising public consciousness about poverty, the crisis in N. Ireland, etc. In between that time and Actung Baby, he was dedicated to the same causes, plus environmental aid (Greenpeace is one of his charities) plus the AIDS situation broke wide open, so Bono donated money and time to that. Yes, in the early 90's he said, "You know, fuck it', I'm thirty something, I'm going to have some fun too." So, he's flashy and showy, but he's a humanitarian any way you look at it. He's got a cause, and that's what he uses his money and his fame for.

I mean, I don't know the man personally, I just know a lot of the good things that he's done and the causes that he's championed. He might be prententious, but most of us are pretty pretentious, so I wouldn't be casting any stones on that one.

I'm not going to argue with anyone on this, I just wanted to take a moment to let anyone know, who doesn't (and apparently, many to most of you don't) just who Bono is and what he's done versus whatever the hell it is that people think.

What? Did some of you people in my generation and older miss the eighties and ninties?

And on that note... I think that I've just sold out and become what the guys of South Park would call a "Liberal Hippy Douche." So be it. I think I'm going to change my title thingy.

Elvis_Christ
09-07-2006, 05:05 PM
http://img352.imageshack.us/img352/2288/picture63dr.jpg

noctuary
09-07-2006, 05:17 PM
I like U2, Haunted. In fact, The Joshua Tree was the first CD I ever bought. I do think that Bono is a bit full of himself, but I can't deny all the worthy causes that he's championed.

Back on topic, I can't believe the thread has gotten this far without a mention of Wes Craven. Now that is a sellout, ladies and gentlemen.

ItsAlive75
09-07-2006, 05:27 PM
I think Zero's a sellout, too. Ever since he got the monkey rep, he thinks he's the greatest thing since Beef Stroganoff.

PR3SSUR3
09-07-2006, 05:55 PM
He might be prententious, but most of us are pretty pretentious, so I wouldn't be casting any stones on that one.

Personally, my distaste for Bonio is about his mildly irritating perma-shades and that he falls into the 'save-the-world' rockstar category.

We might all be a little pretentious, but this one's an intensely preaching millionaire git from the TV and gets up the nose a bit more.

The STE
09-07-2006, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by noctuary
Back on topic, I can't believe the thread has gotten this far without a mention of Wes Craven. Now that is a sellout, ladies and gentlemen.

Originally posted by Despare
Wes Craven probably earns this monicker as well.

ItsAlive75
09-07-2006, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by PR3SSUR3
Personally, my distaste for Bonio is about his mildly irritating perma-shades and that he falls into the 'save-the-world' rockstar category.

We might all be a little pretentious, but this one's an intensely preaching millionaire git from the TV and gets up the nose a bit more.

http://brandnoise.typepad.com/brand_noise/images/bono184.jpg

PR3SSUR3
09-07-2006, 06:06 PM
Yes, and those stupid hats the band wear - specifically this one:-

http://www.u2star.com/images/foto/edge/edge_80.jpg

newb
09-07-2006, 06:38 PM
"It's been a long time since I rock and rolled"

http://www.motorspain.com/fotos-de-coches/Cadillac%20%20CTS%202.8%20Elegance.JPG

http://web.iese.edu/jestrada/Images/Led_Zeppelin_4.gif

Zero
09-08-2006, 03:47 AM
Originally posted by ItsAlive75
I think Zero's a sellout, too. Ever since he got the monkey rep, he thinks he's the greatest thing since Beef Stroganoff.

mmmmm. . . beef stroganoff. . . .mmmmm

hammerfan
09-08-2006, 04:15 AM
Originally posted by Haunted
As the only apparent U2 fan on the entire fucking forum

Nope, you're not - I'm a fan, too!

The Flayed One
09-08-2006, 04:23 AM
Well, I'd like to kick it over to the black metal scene.

One of my favorite black metal bands, Cradle of Filth, are apparently considered sellouts. I say, let 'em. Even though I enjoy raw sound, I also don't mind a nice studio polished album and decently produce & directed videos. I think CoF has been great throughout it all, though my favorite album is still 'Cruelty an the Beast'

XtRaVa
09-08-2006, 04:42 AM
Reel Big Fish

"Sell out, with me today!...The record companies gonna give us lots of money and everything is going be alllright"