PDA

View Full Version : What's the deal with...

Phalanx
09-05-2006, 10:48 PM
On occasion, I notice things...I decided to make a thread about things that don't seem quite right, or just don't seem to make sense. Of course, now that I'm actually MAKING the thread, I can't think of all that many, but I'm sure they'll come to me over time, and I'd like to hear some of yours too.

Here's mine for now, a pitiful three...but stuff that I just don't get.

"What's the deal with..."
*Well, OTHER than when you've hit the mexican...why do most farts end up smelling worse than shit?
*The words "close" and "close"...the same word, completely different meanings...unless of course it could be in reference to closing distance or a gap, eg - two things getting closer together, such as a door and a door frame? Hm...I think I MAY have just figured this one out, but it sure is a bit of laziness not to have a seperate word for each.
*Fucking spin dryers...I'm sure certain models won't apply here, but just about every single one I've ever had ends up losing its knob/turny timer thing...it just shakes it off...C'mon manufacturers, haven't you realised this YET?

Ok...those are mine....anyone care to add/discuss, go right ahead.

bwind22
09-05-2006, 11:23 PM
I have 2 things that I have simply never been able to figure out....

1- Why does a fart smell worse when it emerges from underwater? (Like if you are sitting in a bath or hot tub & rip one, it smells worse than if you had let'er rip on dry land.) What's the deal with that?

2- Yawning. What the hell? Is there a reason that seeing someone else yawn instantly causes a domino effect around the room? There simply must be a reason for this, but for the life of me, I can't figure it out...

Phalanx
09-05-2006, 11:38 PM
Possible solutions...

1: I assume usually tou bathe in hot water? The water particles/steam in the air may absorb the gas somewhat and carry it more effectively, and/or in a slightly more solid state to your lungs, past your nose and mouth, therefore making it seem more potent?

2: I think I know this one.
Yawning is meant to be a sign that you are mentally and physically relaxed. Not neccessarily tired (although one does feel more relaxed when fatigued, especially physically), so if you were even in a class and had a bitchy teacher who snapped at you for yawning during their class, it was more than likely nothing to do with intended attention span, more the fact that you were relaxed in a familiar situation.
The domino effect? I'd say that it's bought on initially by the subconscious psychological effect of witnessing another person obtaining a relaxed state by which they indicate witha yawn...you see it, and hear it, and I think that part of you responds in kind "well, if theyre relaxed it must be all good..etc", and in turn, you obtain or start moving towards the same state?
That's my best guess.
Ok, now someone work out mine.

Keep 'em coming...

Oh! I got another one...that thing where you're walking towards another person...then you try to go around them and they try to do the same, and so on and so on and so on...WHY does that invoke so much fury? I don't know if it's only me, but when it happens, even though I acknowledge that they're only doing what they perceive to be the polite or logical thing to do, as am I...after the awkward part of getting around eachother, as I'm walking away, I just can't help but think "fucking idiot..."
Is that...just me?
I find it infuriating, and it's such a small thing...

One more - why in the fuck don't shopping centres do more to stop their trolleys from getting stuck together?
a monthly oiling may do the job, but no...it seems too much to expect, and we continue to get the trolley conga line thing happening, at least every couple of times we go shopping.
Is this not something clear to the staff as well, when they see people physically abusing their trolleys in a desperate attempt to get them undone?
whooboy.

Vodstok
09-06-2006, 05:34 AM
Im pretty sure farts smell worse from water because your nose is moist most of the time because it requires moisture to trap the scent molecules as well as transmit the signature of them to the cell (notice in the middle of winter, you cant smell much, but on amuggy day, the world is alive with smells)

basically, if your nose is dry, you cant smell as well anyway. Well, in the water, that stinker is collecting a bit more moisture, making it easier for your nose to detect. so they dont actually smell worse, they smell "clearer". I know, it's gross.

Vodstok
09-06-2006, 05:34 AM
Im pretty sure farts smell worse from water because your nose is moist most of the time because it requires moisture to trap the scent molecules as well as transmit the signature of them to the cell (notice in the middle of winter, you cant smell much, but on amuggy day, the world is alive with smells)

basically, if your nose is dry, you cant smell as well anyway. Well, in the water, that stinker is collecting a bit more moisture, making it easier for your nose to detect. so they dont actually smell worse, they smell "clearer". I know, it's gross.

EDIT:What a wonderful double-post....

stubbornforgey
09-06-2006, 06:29 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!
My kind of thread.

actually..em quite a master of shit that make no sense.

but would you believe this,,
right now my lifes making sense so i have nothing to contribute ...YET!!

Vodstok
09-06-2006, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by stubbornforgey
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!
My kind of thread.

actually..em quite a master of shit that make no sense.

but would you believe this,,
right now my lifes making sense so i have nothing to contribute ...YET!! I have one for you. What the hell is a "stubbornforgey"?

And for that matter, a "bwind22"?

newb
09-06-2006, 08:13 AM
If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Is there another word for synonym?

Isn't it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do "practice"?

Where do forest rangers go to "get away from it all? "

What do you do when you see an endangered animal eating an endangered plant?

Would a fly without wings be called a walk?

Why do they lock gas station bathrooms? Are they afraid someone will clean them?

If a turtle doesn't have a shell, is he homeless or naked?

Why don't sheep shrink in the rain?

ItsAlive75
09-06-2006, 08:27 AM
Can a man drown in the fountain of eternal life?

What happens if you're in a car going at the speed of light and you turn your headlights on?

Phalanx
09-06-2006, 08:29 AM
I have one for you. What the hell is a "stubbornforgey"
She's a steelworker, didn't you know?...the stubborn bit just fits, being female and all...

And for that matter, a "bwind22"?
Guy's got a condition...we shouldn't joke about it

My nic, vod, you took a decent and logical guess at...but, it's a comic freak thing.

Vodstok
09-06-2006, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by newb
If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Is there another word for synonym?

Isn't it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do "practice"?

Where do forest rangers go to "get away from it all? "

What do you do when you see an endangered animal eating an endangered plant?

Would a fly without wings be called a walk?

Why do they lock gas station bathrooms? Are they afraid someone will clean them?

If a turtle doesn't have a shell, is he homeless or naked?

Why don't sheep shrink in the rain?

No
No
A Bit
The Sea
Nothing
No
No
Neither, it's dead.
because. wool only shrinks when it is wet and then dried with heat.

Originally posted by ItsAlive75
Can a man drown in the fountain of eternal life?
What happens if you're in a car going at the speed of light and you turn your headlights on?

Probably. it stops aging, not death
Nothing. by the time they hit the speed of light, they become energy, at which point, he doesnt have headlights.

ItsAlive75
09-06-2006, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by Vodstok
No
No
A Bit
The Sea
Nothing
No
No
Neither, it's dead.
because. wool only shrinks when it is wet and then dried with heat.

Probably. it stops aging, not death
Nothing. by the time they hit the speed of light, they become energy, at which point, he doesnt have headlights.

Who called the fun nazis?

Yeti.13
09-06-2006, 09:04 AM
Why do only dogs get a swimming stroke named after them? Loads of animals swim.

Why do old men have hair growing out of their ears? What's it for?

Why don't Cheese and Onion crisps (chips for you in the US) taste at all of cheese?

Why don't women have as much body hair as men, female monkeys have the same as males.

Why don't pubic hairs grow really long?

Who decided pop songs (and most others) have to have a repetitive chorus?

Whats the point of cats piss glowing under black light?

Miss Olivia
09-06-2006, 09:05 AM
If a tree falls in the forest and there's no one there to hear it, will it still give you splinters if you sit on it to take a crap?

What is the sound of one hand punching you in the face?
I punched a drunk woman last week in front of my apartment,
and I hit her so hard it sounded like I open hand slapped her.
We've been debating ever since.

Vodstok
09-06-2006, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by ItsAlive75
Who called the fun nazis? :)

hey, they were asked, i answered. :p

Olivia, that was a good punch. the really good ones sound like they hurt :)

Miss Olivia
09-06-2006, 09:28 AM
LOL the police even complimented it after they interviewed her.
I guess she's caused a lot of trouble.:p

stygianwitch
09-06-2006, 09:30 AM
What do you take if you're allergic to antihistamines?

Miss Olivia
09-06-2006, 09:32 AM
You take out a life insurance policy.

stygianwitch
09-06-2006, 09:50 AM
LOL

what do zombies eat when there's no live food left? not exactly gonna 'die out' are they :D

Miss Olivia
09-06-2006, 09:58 AM
Then they learn to use a can opener.:p

Vodstok
09-06-2006, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by stygianwitch
LOL

what do zombies eat when there's no live food left? not exactly gonna 'die out' are they :D I actually think they would eventually rot to the point that they wouldnt function any more, or suffer soo much incidental damage that theywould just be a pile of gunk.

No one ever seems to thave touched on this before.... good call.

stygianwitch
09-06-2006, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Vodstok
No one ever seems to have touched on this before

Just one of those annoying questions that gnaws at my brain...in a zombie kind of way, LOL