PDA

View Full Version : Ratings, US vs. Canada

joshaube
09-05-2006, 08:24 AM
I've noticed that most films that get an R rating in the US, are released here in Canada at only a PG-14. Of course, our ratings are sort of different, too. R here means no one under 18 is allowed in, regardless of parental supervision. 18A, on the other hand, is like the US's R.

Wedding Crashers, for example, which featured NOTHING (IMO) that would have made it an R. It was released here as PG-14. And even the Unrated DVD is nothing compared to what we see in Beerfest... which was, of course, PG-14 in Canada. It features nudity, sex, and swearing. Hookers, male protitutes, and lots of irresponsible drinking.

Snakes on a Plane was Pg-14 here too, and the studio WANTED it an R. It was R in the US, at least I think so.

My question... why's it any different? Why is nudity and swearing more acceptable in Canada, while in the US if it's even minorly added... it's slapped with an R?

Miss Olivia
09-05-2006, 08:33 AM
Because the powers that be in this country are frigid tight asses.

hammerfan
09-05-2006, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by Miss Olivia
Because the powers that be in this country are frigid tight asses.

Amen to that, sister!!

Vodstok
09-05-2006, 08:50 AM
Canada was not founded by the Puritans. that psycho-christian anal retentive bullshit has been standard here for around 400 years. for some reason repression of natural urges is good here as well as meaningless mindless violence.

violence is frowned upon, but takes a backseat to anything sexual. wich is funny, because since sex is completely dirty here, it is even more of a drug. look at how non-us movies treat nudity almost as a background thing. if a woman gets out of the shower naked, it's because people get out of showers naked.

here... if she gets outof the shower naked, she was probably having hot lesbian sex in the shower.

Twilight_Zone
09-05-2006, 06:06 PM
ya, you gotta love Canada

bwind22
09-05-2006, 11:49 PM
I'm not sure why the ratings are different, but I would certainly say that Wedding Crashers deserved an R. I haven't checked out Beerfest yet, but WC had plenty of swearing & nudity, not to mention the entire basis of the film is an adult concept.

Don't get me wrong, I thought it was great so I'm not ripping on it. I just don't think there's any way it was even anywhere close to getting a PG-13.

Deposable
09-06-2006, 02:01 PM
I hope Canada adopts me....