PDA

View Full Version : Raisins for Halloween! RAISINS??!?!?!

crabapple
09-03-2006, 08:14 PM
Raisins!

Boxes of raisins you know the red box with the girl on it, Sunsweet raisins or whatever the brand is called.

I was looking at an old vintage ad for raisins suggesting that "This Halloween give out boxes of delicious Sunsweet raisins, the kids will love love love you" ...you get the picture. Anyway I REMEMBER some sick puppies actually doing this, giving out little boxes of raisins to trick or treaters. So kids are coming home with huge bags full of mostly candy...and BOXES OF RAISINS. And I swear to God none of those raisins were ever eaten by anyone, they were left alone while the chocolate was consumed and the bubblegum chewed. They would go stale and eventually would get chucked. Anyone remember this? Is it just me because I'm a fogey?

azathoth777
09-03-2006, 08:26 PM
I remember getting raisins for halloween. It was doubly disappionting as I absolutely HATE raisins. I made me want to inflict greivious bodily harm to them. And it was usualy old people from what I recall.

*EDIT*- 'them' being the people who gave them, not the raisins themselves...

crabapple
09-03-2006, 08:29 PM
Oh God (sobbing)...SOMEONE REMEMBERS! Someone remembers the raisins! It's not just me!

I'm okay....I'm fine, I'll be fine in a minute, I'm just having a nostalgic moment is all. Thanks.

Miss Olivia
09-03-2006, 08:33 PM
I remember one Halloween when people handed out FRUIT. I came home with three apples and an orange.
Travesty.

The STE
09-03-2006, 08:35 PM
I'd be fine with getting raisens if they had a chocolate coating

crabapple
09-03-2006, 08:37 PM
FRUIT! FRUIT?

that's a terrible thing to give a kid on Halloween. that's wrong!

Bags of homemade chocolate chip cookies = okay.

Fruit = time for a little discussion.

Miss Olivia
09-03-2006, 08:56 PM
That's EXACTLY how I felt....it broke my little heart.:(

Haunted
09-04-2006, 06:44 AM
You know, this is a topic close to my heart, because, as you all know Halloween/Samhain is *dons Elvis voice* vury special to me.

Fruit, and raisins are techinally a form of fruit, for Halloween is an abomination. It used to piss me off to no end.

Heh...remember when your parents used to insist on checking every piece of candy you got because of the stupid "Satanic Panic" shit. Haw! Now it's standard because there are people like you guys giving out candy to little kids.:D

The Flayed One
09-04-2006, 06:51 AM
Yes, I've gotten the box of raisins before. Tiny, bite sized boxes of the little fuckers. I've also gotten the apples & oranges. The one that really fucked my shit up was a toothbrush. If I went trick-or-treating at the dentist office, fine. I understand why he would do that. To be a regular person, though, and give a kid a toothbrush for Halloween? That's fucking nuts!

Oh, and the one place that used to give out mini christian pamphlets. I think they were also a raising house. They didn't get many kids after a year or two.

Marroe
09-04-2006, 07:17 AM
Give me something with peanut butter, or caramel, or I'll be giving it right back to you :)

stubbornforgey
09-04-2006, 08:00 AM
HA!!
you got raisins//

It was new to NZ ..we had seen n heard all about this celebration in America.
We all got a whopped for accepting sweets of strangers.

:rolleyes:

Haunted
09-04-2006, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by The Flayed One
Oh, and the one place that used to give out mini christian pamphlets. I think they were also a raising house. They didn't get many kids after a year or two.

Yep! There's always those assholes. I've always promised myself that if I ever have kids, and take them out for Halloween because that's going to be part of my Samhain tradition, no sense in getting all hoity-toity... if those jack-asses hand them a pamphlets I'm going to go from zero to bitch in two seconds without using swear words.

@stubborn... That was funny... I'm sorry you got whopped, bless you. Has it caught on, yet? Has our candy-begging, satan worshipping madness invaded NZ or what?

The Flayed One
09-04-2006, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by Haunted
Yep! There's always those assholes. I've always promised myself that if I ever have kids, and take them out for Halloween because that's going to be part of my Samhain tradition, no sense in getting all hoity-toity... if those jack-asses hand them a pamphlets I'm going to go from zero to bitch in two seconds without using swear words.

Oh, the joys of growing up in the midwest during Reaganomics:rolleyes: I remember one year they went as far as to have a police officer come in and talk to us about Satanic cults. Whatever happened to passing around some grapes or cooked spaghetti noodles and telling me it was part of an old witch who died (no offense to present company ;) )

bloodrayne
09-04-2006, 10:11 AM
We always hand out chocolate...We figure we can't go wrong that way...

A couple of years we handed out toys, just to change it up a little (because EVERYONE here gives out chocolate in one form or another)...No one complained :)

Haunted
09-04-2006, 10:38 AM
I've always wanted to ask, you, Rayne: What would you do, if someone were to put little extremist Christian pamphlets in your kids' pumpkins/bags? Ignore? "Politely" return them to the house? Just curious. WWBRD (What Would Bloodrayne Do)

bloodrayne
09-04-2006, 12:30 PM
I've always wanted to ask, you, Rayne: What would you do, if someone were to put little extremist Christian pamphlets in your kids' pumpkins/bags? Ignore? "Politely" return them to the house? Just curious. WWBRD (What Would Bloodrayne Do) Meh...If it ever DID happen...I'd just put them in the pile with the root beer barrels, peppermints, jelly beans, most hard candies and black licorice...Then throw out the pile

We always make a 'keep' and 'don't keep' pile...

It wouldn't really bother me...I guess it just takes a LOT to 'get to me'...We choose our battles...For the most part, I choose NOT to battle, unless it's REALLY important (which translates to: affects the well-being of my kids)

Hmm...This makes me curious....What do you guys put in YOUR 'don't keep' pile?...Besides raisins and fruit of course :)

The Flayed One
09-04-2006, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by bloodrayne
black licorice...Then throw out the pile.

WOT?! THROW AWAY BLACK LICORICE?!

BLASPHEMER! ROUSTABOUT! RACIST!

Okay, maybe not the racist part:p but man, black licorice & peppermints are two of my favorites! I know, I'm a weird guy who eats kraut by itself & drinks the juice. So sue me.

I'm not a big chocolate fan, but I always kept it because someone else always wanted it. I like stuff like gummi bears, jelly beans, red vines & sour patch kids. The only thing that ever got consistantly thrown away is candy corn, which if you listen to Louis Black, he'll explain the whole thing to you:D

bloodrayne
09-04-2006, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by The Flayed One
candy corn OH...I can't believe that I forgot that one...Yup, that goes out, too...

And, I like peppermint IF it's coated in chocolate :)

Haunted
09-04-2006, 02:01 PM
Hell, Rayne, you eat chocolate covered cherries. :D

crabapple
09-04-2006, 02:58 PM
I had a chocolate cherry once.

That year Olivia got the fruits: Y'see, that was a whole bunch of parents getting together and "deciding" to do something "for the good."

It is to that impulse to do what's "good and right" that this SunMaid Raisins ad catered:

crabapple
09-04-2006, 02:59 PM
"Hobnobbin' with the Hobgoblin Set," indeed.

bloodrayne
09-04-2006, 11:21 PM
Hell, Rayne, you eat chocolate covered cherries. :D LOL...Yeah...And too many of them :o

I also love chocolate covered raisins....But, somehow that's completely different than 'raisins and fruit'....Just like the chocolate covered peppermint.....Chocolate just makes everything better :)

Actually...I HATE oatmeal cookies...But, I just made some chewy chocolate oatmeal no-bake cookies for tonight's movies...

Which prompts me to add...Creep is an AWESOME movie...Seriously, ALL of you guys should watch it...We loved it

We also watched the Hills Have Eyes Remake...That was really good, too...But, there were a few things that REALLY bothered me...The WORST one was:

******SPOILER***********

Why in the HELL did that kid blow up EVERYTHING they had, all of their supplies and their only shelter, in an attempt to kill ONE guy who he had tied to the trailor?...All he had to do was shoot him in the forehead or pickaxe him, which the chick ended up doing anyway...I mean seriously, maybe if he was able to wipe out the entire town, or if he had about 20 of those guys trapped in the trailor it would have made sense...But, the circumstances in which it happened made it an incredibly stupid thing to do

Well...Gotta go watch more movies now...Catch you guys later :)

Miss Olivia
09-04-2006, 11:32 PM
*SPOILERS*
LOL it's funny you say that about THHE because I was OFFENDED when that happened in the movie.....I mean, the guy was STUCK and he couldn't do anything, so why the hell would you make that whole elaborate plot to screw yourself out of food and shelter? How dumb would you have to be to do that?

knife_fight
09-05-2006, 05:14 AM
hate to get back on topic but...

when I was a kid we had a neighbor who was a bit of a lush. he'd come home from work and get loaded. every day. then when Halloween came around, we would trick or treat his house and, of course, he had forgotten it was Halloween again this year. so, being a drunk rich dude, he just gave us money. which, of course, was way better than candy. with money (he usually gave us each a couple bucks!) you can buy the specific candy you want AND...

I also remember there being a house that gave out baseball cards. it was a huge neighborhood, so me and my friends would hit all the houses, go home and mix n match our costumes, then hit the houses again. so you ended up with kids wearing hockey masks AND Freddy gloves. mischief was always a big priority in that neighborhood as well. smashing pumpkins, burning down port-a-potties, cranking up bulldozers, caulking mailboxes closed, throwing dead fish into swimming pools, etc. we did it all.

we also ran across several homes that didn't participate in Halloween. one of which I vividly remember a woman coming out and trying to explain to us kids why God didn't want us out trick or treating. we just gave each other puzzled looks and pelted her with candy corn, then ran off.

Halloween, oh how I love thee.

crabapple
09-05-2006, 05:18 AM
Jeez Wow..Whew!

stubbornforgey
09-05-2006, 05:49 AM
Halloween still hasnt taken off much here.
As far the kids around here care about..
free lollies.

Hey Crabapple..lol..
they still sell them raisins over here.

crabapple
09-05-2006, 06:31 AM
Raisins are okay. I like oranges and apples too! But not for trick or treaters, you know. They want the SHOOGAR!

azathoth777
09-05-2006, 06:43 AM
Originally posted by knife_fight
hate to get back on topic but...

when I was a kid we had a neighbor who was a bit of a lush. he'd come home from work and get loaded. every day. then when Halloween came around, we would trick or treat his house and, of course, he had forgotten it was Halloween again this year. so, being a drunk rich dude, he just gave us money. which, of course, was way better than candy. with money (he usually gave us each a couple bucks!) you can buy the specific candy you want....

Man, that just reminded me of this old lady that gave out little baggies of pennies. It was about 30-50 cents tied up in a sandwith bag. Probably thought it was still the 50's when you could buy something good for a few pennies.
That woman must have saved up pennies all year....

crabapple
09-05-2006, 07:17 AM
I remember there was one house that used to give out quarters. This was back when you could buy a candy bar for 25 cents, so a quarter was pretty decent!

By the way...if you don't want your root beer barrels, I'll take 'em. I'll trade you my candy corn for those.

knife_fight
09-05-2006, 07:28 AM
I'll take that trade. those root beer barrels taste like medicine. the candy corn isn't much better, but at least it's sweet and doesn't taste like nyquil.

Miss Olivia
09-05-2006, 08:01 AM
I liked the little wax coca cola bottles you could get.....ah, nostalgia, how I love thee....:p

crabapple
09-05-2006, 08:11 AM
*tears for nostalgia*

oh those were the good old days! mmmmmwaaahhhh

crabapple
09-05-2006, 08:14 AM
yeah and you know nowadays it's a "BIG DEAL" and folks are worried about this and that....................way back when, trick or treating was done by everyone, and nobody worried about stuff, and it was pure fun. Plus ya got to get around your neighborhood and see people you would never get a chance to see otherwise. And get the crap scared outta ya.

newb
09-05-2006, 08:21 AM
I'm a fan of the 'CHUNKY" ,which just happens to have raisins in it.

http://www.geocities.com/rraattbbooyy/images/chunky.jpg

Miss Olivia
09-05-2006, 08:29 AM
But those are GOOD....I always like a nice chocolate covered raisin.

Vodstok
09-05-2006, 08:45 AM
stuff i hated:

Raisins
Fruit of any Kind (mostly apples)
pocket change
dental equipment (they never gave anything good, like those metal hooks they tear your gums up with)
black licorice

crabapple
09-05-2006, 08:51 AM
chocolate covered raisin = okay

no chocolate on raisin = you are sick and wrong!

oranges poranges...who sez!
there ain't no rhyme for oranges?

Roderick Usher
09-05-2006, 09:01 AM
We had a real dickhead Dentist on our block who handed out toothbrushes and floss.

As if that wasn't bad enough, he would admonish us for our candy-eating ways. We stopped going to his house after two years of this. Needless to say his house was the primary target for egging.:p

Vodstok
09-05-2006, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by Roderick Usher
We had a real dickhead Dentist on our block who handed out toothbrushes and floss.

As if that wasn't bad enough, he would admonish us for our candy-eating ways. We stopped going to his house after two years of this. Needless to say his house was the primary target for egging.:p Apparently he was one o fthose morons who either:

A) Forgot what it was like to be a kid and get shit from assholes like himself
B)Got the shit beat out of him as a kid because he was a humorless asshole.