PDA

View Full Version : sucked in?

waffle
08-30-2006, 10:59 AM
Has anyone else been grabbed by a part of their brain they didn't know existed and pulled into this whole lonelygirl15 extravaganza?

Zero
08-30-2006, 11:05 AM
heard of it - watched about 10 seconds of one of the obnoxious videolog things and realized that there is nothing in the world more self-centered and annoying as a teenager (no offense to the young'uns here)

ItsAlive75
08-30-2006, 11:39 AM
What the hell is the "lonelygirl extravaganza"?

waffle
08-30-2006, 12:20 PM
Okay - my error for assuming that everyone knew.

This is lonelygirl15

http://www.argn.com/archive/images/lonelygirl15.jpg

The story is (with props to nymag.com)...

It's essentially a vlog on youtube but, it's different. For one, it has millions of views.
In all likelihood, Lonelygirl15 is a fake. She’s a suspiciously photogenic teen (?) who films first-person confessionals in her bedroom. Most of them revolve around her study-buddy Daniel, who has a crush on her. This is all supposedly done without the knowledge of her religious, homeschooling parents. What religion? We don't know. There are clues littered throughout her posts, and this is just one of the threads people have latched on to.

People have started questioning whether she even exists, and for good reason: She’s just a little too charming, her videos a little too well edited, and her story a little too neatly laid out. Viral marketing maybe?

BUT - we just don't know. When the online world thought it had figured out that she was some kind of extreme Christian. A vlog revealed a 'shrine' of sorts to Crowley in the background, and her freaking out cos Daniel was going to light a candle on it.

Interestingly, the domain name for her fan site was registered a month before her first video went up.

No-one is really sure what's going on. It's obvious it's not all legit. But is it a front for some product (no logos appear), a record label (also been debunked), a hugely clever student project, a religious organisation (some say Satanists, some say Scientology, there are arguments for each)... it's hard to tell.

I realise how stupid this sounds - but it just kind of grabs you and pulls you in. It's like webworld's own little mystery.

So, yeah - that's it. I just wanted to know if I was alone in my loserdom...

bloodrayne
08-30-2006, 01:20 PM
Sorry...I've never heard of it/her...whatever...

It sounds kinda like a reality show to me...Which I can't stand...

1beastieibe
08-30-2006, 04:24 PM
My computer is too slow to watch youtube:mad:

VampiricClown
08-30-2006, 04:29 PM
She's cute, but that type of thing does not interest me.

Zero
08-30-2006, 04:32 PM
ok - now because of this post i watched a few and they were really slick -

i also read a huge debate at wikipedia about whether or not to have a Lonelygirl15 entry - that was amazingly fascinating - i'm surprised how many wikipedia people are so touchy about the site. i always thought wikipedia was totally open and you could post/edit anything. that apparently has changed and they'll delete anything they don't like or thing is irrelevant or silly. . .what's the internet coming to

Zero
08-30-2006, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by trippin_the_rif
More than likely its a sting of some sort to lure internet predators into a convo and a meeting. Then it's Bye-Bye Jailbirdie!!!

hmm. . . didn't i see trip on that interminable dateline "Internet Predator" show

newb
08-30-2006, 05:28 PM
LMFAO!!!!!! Thanks Zero. That's because I dont "meet" the people I converse with online. Nor do I make the plans to meet them.:D

Not true....we were just a week away from having a couple of beers together at Universal Halloween Horror Nights.

but seeing that I have about 16 years on you...that would have made me the pedifile.:eek:

newb
08-30-2006, 05:35 PM
Very true, very true. BTW, are you going again this year?

We are going to Universal,but not for the Halloween Nights. Going the week before Thanksgiving.

VampiricClown
08-30-2006, 05:36 PM
LMFAO!!!!!! Thanks Zero. That's because I dont "meet" the people I converse with online. Nor do I make the plans to meet them.:D

I have, but I'm meeting girls, and I make damn sure it's a girl by talking to them on the phone first.

Plus, I don't look %100 like my pictures, you wouldn't recognize me in person.

newb
08-30-2006, 05:40 PM
Well, I'll have a beer for you in October and you have one for me in November.:cool:

Deal;)

VampiricClown
08-30-2006, 05:45 PM
Well, I'll have a beer for you in October and you have one for me in November.:cool:

And where is mine?? :confused:

newb
08-30-2006, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by VampiricClown
And where is mine?? :confused:

not old enough yet ;)

VampiricClown
08-30-2006, 05:48 PM
Are ya going to Universal Studios at all in the next couple of months? If ya are, I'll have one for you too.

I would, but I have to say that gas prices have me beat down right now sadly. :(

VampiricClown
08-30-2006, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by newb
not old enough yet ;)

What makes you so sure? ;)

newb
08-30-2006, 05:55 PM
Hell I was drinking at 17.
But the drinking age then was 18.

VampiricClown
08-30-2006, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by newb
Hell I was drinking at 17.
But the drinking age then was 18.

My girlfriend is **, and had been in Germany since she was 10. She started drinking when she was 13. :eek:

She should have saved me some.

ItsAlive75
08-30-2006, 09:23 PM
Little kids don't have problems... those are for adults. Little kids have acne and homework and crushes and that's just fuckin' dumb.

VampiricClown
08-31-2006, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by ItsAlive75
Little kids don't have problems... those are for adults. Little kids have acne and homework and crushes and that's just fuckin' dumb.

And did you say that when you were that age? I think not.

Things haven't changed much over the years either have they? :p

Acne = Back Pain
Homework = Day/Night Job
Crushes = Marriage

It never changes man.

AUSTIN316426808
08-31-2006, 06:16 AM
And did you say that when you were that age? I think not.

Probably not, until he got older and realized that they are fucking dumb.

ItsAlive75
08-31-2006, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by AUSTIN316426808

:D

VampiricClown
08-31-2006, 08:28 AM

It still stays with you though. I mean, if you didn't have "Crushes", why the hell are you even dating or looking at women?

AUSTIN316426808
08-31-2006, 08:29 AM
It still stays with you though. I mean, if you didn't have "Crushes", why the hell are you even dating or looking at women?

A crush is when you like someone but you're to scared to talk to 'em, more often than not because they're outta your league. Dating is actually going out with someone you're attracted to.

And who says you have to have a crush on someone just because you look at 'em. I've been out, looked at a good looking girl and that was it.

Those comparisons you made were just way off...

Acne = Back Pain
Homework = Day/Night Job
Crushes = Marriage

you gotta be kidding me.

VampiricClown
08-31-2006, 08:32 AM

You do that a lot....

AUSTIN316426808
08-31-2006, 08:42 AM
You do that a lot....

I think things over too much. Sometimes it gets me in trouble sometimes it does just the opposite.

VampiricClown
08-31-2006, 08:46 AM
A crush is when you like someone but you're to scared to talk to 'em, more often than not because they're outta your league. Dating is actually going out with someone you're attracted to.

And who says you have to have a crush on someone just because you look at 'em. I've been out, looked at a good looking girl and that was it.

Those comparisons you made were just way off...

Acne = Back Pain
Homework = Day/Night Job
Crushes = Marriage

you gotta be kidding me.

Well think about it. By the time your acne stops COMPLETELY, you have back, joint and muscle pains. I'm 17 and already have them.

Homework/School: As soon as you're through with all of that, you have to start going to work, paying bills, taking care of a family if you have one.

Crushes: If you don't, you aren't quite right if you don't have a crush on your wife or girlfriend.

Crushing mostly means that you are head over heels for that person, so if you aren't so over your significant other, dump them or divorce them because you must not care about them so much.

And if I do believe so myself, how many of you would walk up to one of your favorite models and ask them out?? None of you because you know you will be turned down.

Life stays the same all the time. No matter how old you get. The only time it changes is if you get enough money to retire and sit on your ass all day watching soap operas.

ItsAlive75
08-31-2006, 08:51 AM
Well think about it. By the time your acne stops COMPLETELY, you have back, joint and muscle pains. I'm 17 and already have them.

Methinks you might just have some sort of physical problem...

Homework/School: As soon as you're through with all of that, you have to start going to work, paying bills, taking care of a family if you have one.

Not if you're a hobo! Plus a lot of kids go live back home right after college, a lot of my friends did.

Crushes: If you don't, you aren't quite right if you don't have a crush on your wife or girlfriend.

Crushing mostly means that you are head over heels for that person, so if you aren't so over your significant other, dump them or divorce them because you must not care about them so much.

A crush is defined as a "temporary infatuation".

And if I do believe so myself, how many of you would walk up to one of your favorite models and ask them out?? None of you because you know you will be turned down.

How many fuckin' times am I gonna run into my "favorite model"?

VampiricClown
08-31-2006, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by ItsAlive75
Methinks you might just have some sort of physical problem...

Yeah, working in the tree buissness for 3 years will deffinetly screw your back up.

Not if you're a hobo! Plus a lot of kids go live back home right after college, a lot of my friends did.

Yeah, they do. And exactly how do you think they fair living at home with mommy and daddy. "Mommy cleans my underwear for me."

A crush is defined as a "temporary infatuation".

So you mean to tell me that marriage should be "Temporary"?

How many fuckin' times am I gonna run into my "favorite model"?

Doesn't matter. How often do you think about them or see their pictures and say "What I wouldn't give to go out with her!"?

AUSTIN316426808
08-31-2006, 09:03 AM

Life stays the same all the time. No matter how old you get. The only time it changes is if you get enough money to retire and sit on your ass all day watching soap operas.

When I was 15 I looked like I'd pissed off alot of snipers and it didn't complicate my life all that much. I also had back and knee surgery when I was 15, I couldn't walk at all for a week and another 3 months after without cringing in pain.

If I didn't do my homework the most that would happen is a note from my teacher and a speech from my dad. If I don't work my fiance and I don't eat, have clothes, pay rent and bill ect.

A crush is a short lived infactuation with a chick who you're not going to remember in due time. A marriage is two people who are in love deciding to spend the rest of their lives together.

See the differences?

The Flayed One
08-31-2006, 11:21 AM
Ahh yes. The progression of a young mans timeline.

17 - I'm a talented fucker. I'm in love, gonna marry my gal and write movies.

18 - Out of the house! I'm a man! In no time, I'll be writing movies and marrying my woman.

19 - Movin' to the big city! Last woman didn't work out, but I'll find some love out west. I'm gonna go make some movies! I'll be rich!

20 - This getting a job thing and paying bills sucks. Not to worry, next year I'll be rich because I'm making movies. Plus I can go to bars where I'll hook up with a hot chick and fall in love!

21 - Woohoo! I'm rollin' now! I'm drinkin at bars an meeting women! Gonna meet some industry people and make some movies with them.

22 - Well, I'm still drinkin. Gotta steady job. It pays well, but I'm still not making movies. I'll write some more, send in a script. Then I'll make some movies.

23 - Well, same job, but at least it's job security. I got a raise! Now I can afford cable! Going out to bars is still fun, but I spend more time at home now. Got a girlfriend, maybe marry her one day. I need to write more, so I can make a movie. To much fucking work.

24 - Almost halfway through 20s. Man, they weren't shitting when they said how easy high school was compared to real life. Oh well, I'm still young. Different girlfriend. She's pretty sweet, but I'm slightly leary after being jerked around a couple of times. I need to call my friend, so we can get together for drinks and talk about making a movie. he has a kid now, so I have to make appointments instead of just stopping over.

25 - Five years till thirty. Got an office job. It's ok, I guess. Dating around a bit, steady girlfriends don't seem to work out for me. I'm usually too tired after work to go out, so I just go home and sip on some whiskey. I think I'll post on the internet about making a movie.

26 - Joined a private club. The drinks are cheap, and there are no obnoxious 21 year olds hanging out in the bar. It's mostly older people. I usually bring in the laptop into there so I can stare at my script and not make any changes to it while I smoke cigarette after cigarette. Don't really date anymore, and the FBs are getting harder to find seeing as I'm starting to get a beer gut.

27 - Fucking women. Fucking job. Fucking script. I need a drink.

DraculaInDallas
08-31-2006, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by waffle
Okay - my error for assuming that everyone knew.

This is lonelygirl15

http://www.argn.com/archive/images/lonelygirl15.jpg

The story is (with props to nymag.com)...

It's essentially a vlog on youtube but, it's different. For one, it has millions of views.
In all likelihood, Lonelygirl15 is a fake. She’s a suspiciously photogenic teen (?) who films first-person confessionals in her bedroom. Most of them revolve around her study-buddy Daniel, who has a crush on her. This is all supposedly done without the knowledge of her religious, homeschooling parents. What religion? We don't know. There are clues littered throughout her posts, and this is just one of the threads people have latched on to.

People have started questioning whether she even exists, and for good reason: She’s just a little too charming, her videos a little too well edited, and her story a little too neatly laid out. Viral marketing maybe?

BUT - we just don't know. When the online world thought it had figured out that she was some kind of extreme Christian. A vlog revealed a 'shrine' of sorts to Crowley in the background, and her freaking out cos Daniel was going to light a candle on it.

Interestingly, the domain name for her fan site was registered a month before her first video went up.

No-one is really sure what's going on. It's obvious it's not all legit. But is it a front for some product (no logos appear), a record label (also been debunked), a hugely clever student project, a religious organisation (some say Satanists, some say Scientology, there are arguments for each)... it's hard to tell.

I realise how stupid this sounds - but it just kind of grabs you and pulls you in. It's like webworld's own little mystery.

So, yeah - that's it. I just wanted to know if I was alone in my loserdom...

Why the big deal??? The kids butt fucking ugly.....:rolleyes:

newb
08-31-2006, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by DraculaInDallas
Why the big deal??? The kids butt fucking ugly.....:rolleyes:

lol....tell it like it is Drac.

monalisa
09-19-2006, 08:22 AM

Huh? Yah, OK. :p :D

monalisa
09-19-2006, 08:29 AM
Most of them, anyway.:p :p

Trust me Kat, I'm not at ALL happy I missed that trip.:mad:

I know, I'm just messin' with ya! ;) :D

monalisa
09-19-2006, 08:48 AM
I know. Glad you got to go. Maybe I'll catch the next one. Probation from my DUI wont let me outta state for the next six months. Unless there's a death in the family. But hopefully I'll get to go to the next one.

It was a LOT of fun. I hope they do another one! I'll definately let you know if I hear of anything. I'm guessing it won't be anything for about a year. :p

-monalisa :)