PDA

View Full Version : Lasting Movie Images From Childhood

cmitchell
08-29-2006, 10:47 AM
Hey,

Had a thought I was curious about - does anyone have any scary movie images that they experienced as children and still scare them today?

Not that it's a horror move as such, but a friend of mine still gets scared of a scene from the movie Manhunter where there's a guy on fire in a wheelchair rolling down an undercover parking lot ramp. Scared him when he saw it as a child, still scares him today.

For me, there are a couple of scenes from the original Nightmare on Elm Street (the goat scene really stands out) that still scare me today, even after the many sequels where Freddy became more comical than frightening. Hey, I saw it when I was 11.

Curious as to what other people think.

hammerfan
08-29-2006, 10:55 AM
I saw The Exorcist when it came out when I was 13. Scared the hell out of me then, and still does to this day!

Miss Olivia
08-29-2006, 10:56 AM
Oh man, I have a LOT.
The scene in Alien where the the monster is full grown and pops through the guys skull with his toothy tongue.

The Blob (remake) where Meg comes in the office to see her date covered in goo and being dissolved. (I had a nightmare tied to this last night, actually.)

The Day of the Triffids where the triffid sneaks up on the greenhouse guard....those squishy feet get me freaked out to this day.

The Thing where the dogs get dissolved by the dog alien.

From Beyond where the guy got his hair sucked off by the tube worm, and then the scene where the cop gets eaten by the bugs.

The Ice Pirates, the space herpe. I know it's not scary, but it freaked me out when I was a kid.

I almost forgot the plane scene in The Twilight Zone movie. The part where he jerks the shade up and the thing is pressed up to the glass almost made me pee myself, and the cartoon monsters in the Anthony short scared me pretty badly too.

cmitchell
08-29-2006, 11:05 AM
Nice responses so far - I totally forgot the space herpe in Ice Pirates, I need to watch that again.

I forgot one of mine - Pennywise the clown from the TV version of Stephen's King IT. Clowns used to scare me as a child, so that helped, but there was a scene that I remember where Pennywise is sneaking up behind some laundry hanging on a clothesline in a yard. Freaked me out.

The Flayed One
08-29-2006, 11:09 AM
See my avatar;)

Also, am I the only one whom meg Mucklebones from Legend gave the creeps to?

http://www.ulujain.org/images/missmeg.jpg

Disease
08-29-2006, 11:09 AM
they don't scare me today but when i was a kid there was a few, I thought Big Ben from house was in my closet the night after I saw it, After I saw goulies i thought those to little dudes in black where hanging out in the hallway outside my room, and I had nightmares about Kruger comeing out of the guys stomach in elm street two for a while, but i've had worst nightmares than that, gremlins freaked me out to, i think or maybe i just used it as an excuse to get out of school. these days i was freaked out about spalding after devils rejects but there was a few days of sleep deprivation involved.

Vodstok
08-29-2006, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Miss Olivia
The scene in Alien where the the monster is full grown and pops through the guys skull with his toothy tongue.

The Blob (remake) where Meg comes in the office to see her date covered in goo and being dissolved. (I had a nightmare tied to this last night, actually.)
The Ice Pirates, the space herpe. I know it's not scary, but it freaked me out when I was a kid.

I almost forgot the plane scene in The Twilight Zone movie. The part where he jerks the shade up and the thing is pressed up to the glass almost made me pee myself, and the cartoon monsters in the Anthony short scared me pretty badly too. Man.. Nailed 3 big ones for me. another one from twilight Zone... The sister with no mouth. that gave me that burning feeling you get in your stomach when you suddenly feel like you are in danger...

When i was 5, i saw the best scenes from alien, the chestburster, bret getting bitten in the face, and Ash gettin ghis block knocked off. I was kinda ookay with the first tweo, but when that head came off and the neck started spewing white shit, and the body just kept going... Bleh... Stuck with me for years....

The Mothman
08-29-2006, 12:20 PM
the toxic waste scene in Robocop gave me nightmares for years when i was a kid.

Vodstok
08-29-2006, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by The Mothman
the toxic waste scene in Robocop gave me nightmares for years when i was a kid. Same here. i was 11 when i saw that and it kept me up all night. I could just hear him wailing and whispering "help me!"

crabapple
08-29-2006, 12:33 PM
"Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things."

The scene with the dead people crawling out of the ground, all at once and all of them pissed off, is one of the most threatening and unpleasant horror sequences I've seen, and still works really well for me. Good god, how horrible!

orangestar
08-29-2006, 12:44 PM
The crabwalk scene in The Exorcist

Large Marge the truck driver in Pee Wee's Big Adventure is one of the most vivid images from my childhood. Scared me to death.

Roderick Usher
08-29-2006, 12:45 PM
The opening scene of Night of the Living Dead with"they're coming to get you Bah-ba-ra" was soooo sinister.

It still gives me the willies

And the oil-slick/blob thingy from "The Raft" in Creepshow 2. I still think of that everytime I'm swimming in a lake.

Vodstok
08-29-2006, 12:48 PM
oddly enough, it is partially responsible for me NOT swimming in lakes.

My cousin had the comic book of Creepshow when i was a kid. The Crate cost me sleep for about 2 years.

The Flayed One
08-29-2006, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Roderick Usher
And the oil-slick/blob thingy from "The Raft" in Creepshow 2. I still think of that everytime I'm swimming in a lake.

Oh yeah! That also reminds me of the thing in 'The Crate' episode, which scared the beejeezus out of me!

1beastieibe
08-29-2006, 01:36 PM
Large Marge the truck driver in Pee Wee's Big Adventure is one of the most vivid images from my childhood. Scared me to death.

I still cannot watch that scene! I literally went into shock the first time I saw that.

Poltergeist 2- When Caine is yelling "your all gonna die in there" and when they show him underground with all his followers.

Jaws 3-it's very scary in 3-D when you are 3 years old

Stand by Me- I puked when I saw the leech in the underwear scene.

Cloak and Dagger- When the old woman takes off her glove and shows she is missing fingers.

Sleepaway Camp- The end, but it was more of her face then the other part.

waffle
08-29-2006, 01:54 PM
With ya on the melting scene in Robocop.

PLUS: Superman 3. When that woman gets trapped in the machine at the end, and comes out covered in wires and chips and shit (although for some reason, in my head and until I saw it again for the first time since I was 7 last year, she came out covered in apples and pears. weird.)

And

A film called Pin. I just have this hazy memory of a fat nurse having sex with this bizarre mannequin/dummy kinda thing. It makes me feel queasy now just thinking about it, and is probably the root of all kinds of sexual neuroses. Anyone else familiar with that film?

Miss Olivia
08-29-2006, 04:17 PM
The robot lady in Superman 3 scared me really bad too now that I think of it....the part where her eye turns all silver freaked me out pretty bad.

Oh yeah, and the little troll thing from Cat's Eye that came out of the wall was really scary too.

And the thing in the glass cube in Something Wicked This Way Comes with the glowing eyes and the ring on it's finger....

And since we're talking about childhood fears, the giant octopus from Godzilla vs. King Kong terrified me for a lot of my formative years....it was so SLIMY and made horrible NOISES.
Ick.

newb
08-29-2006, 04:25 PM
"The Shuttered Room"[1967] cost me a nights sleep when I was a wee ladd.

There was a scene in "No Way to Treat a Lady"[1968] where Rod Steigers character strangles a lady to death, that was kinda disturbing to me as a boy.

Posher778
08-29-2006, 04:54 PM
The clown in the sewer scene at the beginning of IT, where it ate that poor kid. Too this day, I will not look down or walk within 3 feet of one of those.

Vodstok
08-30-2006, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by Posher778
The clown in the sewer scene at the beginning of IT, where it ate that poor kid. Too this day, I will not look down or walk within 3 feet of one of those. I think IT gets an award for causing mental problems. i dont knwo a single adult who has seen it that doesnt shudder when i say "We all float down here..."

cmitchell
08-30-2006, 01:55 PM
Creepshow! Love that movie. The thing that scared me about the movie when I was a kid was the being buried in sand with water pouring in. Maybe it's that fear about being buried alive.........or maybe it started it................

lovecraft
08-30-2006, 02:21 PM
The guy ripping his face off in Poltergeist freaked me out as a kid...

I forget the name of the movie, but a woman was raped by a ghost, that disturbed me.

And although I only remember bits and pieces, Don't be Afraid of the Dark is one movie that made me afraid of the dark...

cmitchell
08-30-2006, 03:06 PM
lol - some of these scenes are bringing back some scary memories - that Superman 3 robot was freaky as hell!! I totally forgot about that one.

I also remember Michael Jackson's Thriller scared the crap out me - I was afraid that zombies were going to come through my floor for months.

Also, the original Jaws had me worrying about a shark coming through a trapdoor in a pool for awhile there.

Miss Olivia
08-30-2006, 03:25 PM
LOL I'd take the zombies over Michael Jackson any day.
He's one of the creepiest human beings on the entire planet.
And I use "human being" very casually.
I'm not sure at all he is one.

The_Return
08-30-2006, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by lovecraft
I forget the name of the movie, but a woman was raped by a ghost, that disturbed me.

The Entity?

VampiricClown
08-30-2006, 06:11 PM
Flayed's Avatar!

CrimsonFiend138
08-30-2006, 08:54 PM
Alien period.

Freddy, Just seeing his face.

The blob (1988) When the boy gets caught in the blob and you can see his face.

Totally the black blob scene in Creepshow 2.

The Wicked Witch from Wizard of oz.

I'm sure there are alot more but The sister Zelda from Pet sematary. Rachellll, EEEEEK, STILLL creeps me out.

The oompa loompas. More the tunnel scene but the oompa loompas in general freaked me out.

ENTITY2000
09-01-2006, 08:47 PM
this isn't horror but the clockwork orange

the rape seen i guess it traumatized me hell i don't know
but i can't seem to bring myself to watch it, everybody says it might help but i just don't have the nerve!

is it really that bad of a movie?

knife_fight
09-02-2006, 09:54 AM
the worst is the scene in Wizard of Oz where the Witch's face appears in the crystal ball and then the camera zooms in for an extreme closeup while she's cackling her fool head off.

one movie that I saw when I was a kid that freaked me out was about a kid who died in a car accident because his/her shoelace got caught. the kid then comes haunting the family and weird shit goes down. one scene in particular features a rusty pizza cutter being slowly rolled up a banister.

another movie that freaked me out as a kid, which I learned about a year ago was an HBO flick called "Fortress", was about a teacher and some kids that got kidnapped by dudes in masks. I have several images of those masks burned into my psyche.

Disease
09-02-2006, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by The Mothman
the toxic waste scene in Robocop gave me nightmares for years when i was a kid.

my friend and I used to slow motion that seen so we could see the head fly over the car. we used to replay the alien in the stomach scene a lot aswell (from alien) . we were in primary school, is that ok?

Thomasgeorge
09-03-2006, 03:10 AM
chucky

CrimsonFiend138
09-03-2006, 02:29 PM
The Hitcher.

When the girl gets pulled apart.

baboles
09-03-2006, 06:09 PM
The scene in Creepshow 2 where the girls gets eaten by that slime monster! Yuck! Nightmares forever!

CrimsonFiend138
09-03-2006, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by baboles
The scene in Creepshow 2 where the girls gets eaten by that slime monster! Yuck! Nightmares forever!

Amen to that!!