PDA

View Full Version : Chinchillas

Vodstok
08-28-2006, 09:11 AM
I dont know why, but i looked them up. Here is the wikipedia page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinchilla

They are cute, but jesus christ they seem to be a pain in the ass to take care of...

Miss Olivia
08-28-2006, 09:43 AM
That's probably why they mostly end up as coats.
Mostly.

ItsAlive75
08-28-2006, 09:51 AM
They're mean as shit, too. Vicious little animals...

Vodstok
08-28-2006, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by ItsAlive75
They're mean as shit, too. Vicious little animals... Really? That could work for me....

I have a very specific reason now for asking about chinchillas. i wontr tell why. not for a hwile anyway.

Marroe
08-28-2006, 10:47 AM
They're adoreable. I was even considering bringing one home a while back but they're so expensive.

zwoti
08-28-2006, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Vodstok
Really? That could work for me....

I have a very specific reason now for asking about chinchillas. i wontr tell why. not for a hwile anyway.

ha ha

2+2=??

Vodstok
08-28-2006, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by zwoti
ha ha

2+2=?? 7

zwoti
08-28-2006, 11:21 AM

well that blows my theory

damn stupid 5 :mad:

Vodstok
08-28-2006, 11:31 AM
it's american math using english units. you english and your damn metric units. Use good ol' American English measurements. Leftenant. :)

The Mothman
08-28-2006, 11:40 AM
I think chinchillas are pretty cool i was obsessed with them when i was a kid. probably the softest animal on earth.

ItsAlive75
08-28-2006, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Marroe
but they're so expensive.

Actually the pet store I saw em' at had em' for only 150 bucks, same as a ferret.

Vodstok
08-28-2006, 12:32 PM
I'd rather have a ferret.

All things considered, id rather have a couple of rats and call it a day.

I'll give a cookie to the firts person who can guess why i am sking about chinchillas.

Off the bat, ill tell you, i have no interest in having one as a pet, nor am i gettingone for anyone else.

The_Return
08-28-2006, 01:34 PM
Screenplay?

zwoti
08-28-2006, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by The_Return
Screenplay?

5?

it's american math using english units. you english and your damn metric units. Use good ol' American English measurements. Leftenant. :)

monalisa
08-28-2006, 03:11 PM
I had a chinchilla, his name was Yoda. He's no longer with us, but he was adorable. They tend to be not very sociable unless you handle them a lot. You have to buy "chinchilla dust", which if I remember correctly is something that is like the dust in the area they naturally live in, and I think it was some kind of vocanic ash. they have to roll in it to keep their coat clean and soft, otherwise it gets too oily. Unfortunately, I found out after I got him, that I was allergic to the dust. Anyway, you have to be kind of careful with them, they can actually have heart attacks if frightened too badly. And if your water has red algae in it, it can kill them. I think that's what killed mine when I moved into a new place years ago, actually, the place I still live in.

1beastieibe
08-28-2006, 04:15 PM
My roomate had a Chinchilla named rasinette, and she had to buy this Huge expensive cage! It didnt like to be held, but love to escape and shit everywhere. Anyway her boyfriend thought it would be cute to feed rasinette some real rasinettes, and it died! She only had it maybe 6 months, but I think hamsters are better pets:)and cheaper to take care of.

crabapple
08-28-2006, 04:42 PM
I know you don't wanna get chinchillas, but when you get them, tell them that my pet rat Hootie wants to talk to them. Tell them it's very important, Hootie is waiting.

azathoth777
08-28-2006, 07:24 PM
I've heard they die easily....

monalisa
08-28-2006, 07:40 PM
Yah, you have to pretty careful with them, what they eat, what they drink, their environment...I didn't have very good luck with mine. They are terribly cute though.

stubbornforgey
08-29-2006, 04:46 AM
i thought they were (before i saw this pic)
were some kind of mexican food..
Hey ..em a depraved new zealander :D

hammerfan
08-29-2006, 04:52 AM
Originally posted by 1beastieibe
My roomate had a Chinchilla named rasinette, and she had to buy this Huge expensive cage! It didnt like to be held, but love to escape and shit everywhere. Anyway her boyfriend thought it would be cute to feed rasinette some real rasinettes, and it died! She only had it maybe 6 months, but I think hamsters are better pets:)and cheaper to take care of.

I can tell you that chocolate is deadly to most animals. Wasn't a good idea to feed it chocolate!

Vodstok
08-29-2006, 05:51 AM
Basically, its a fur slipper that if the temperature diet and water are not 100% perfect at all times, and they dont have powdered pumice to bathe it, it will die.

its like having an expensive baby that is allergic to everything. id rather have a kid.

The Flayed One
08-29-2006, 05:59 AM
Basically, its a fur slipper that if the temperature diet and water are not 100% perfect at all times, and they dont have powdered pumice to bathe it, it will die.

its like having an expensive baby that is allergic to everything. id rather have a kid.

Yeah, my old roomie had one. I tried to warn her that I'd heard they were a HUGE pain in the ass to take care of. She said she didn't care. Six months later, she was miserable. She loved the damn thing, but she had to invest SO much time & money to take care of it that it almost was like she had an infant. I think it lived for about 5 years.

Kemal
08-29-2006, 06:00 AM
Remember Bernard Goetz, the vigilante who shot all those guys who tried to mug him on the New York subway? He had a pet chinchilla. He said he liked them because they were nice but vicious when provoked.

Vodstok
08-29-2006, 06:11 AM
Bernie Goetz... The world might have sympathized if he had known how to keep his damn mouth shut...

Are chinchillas really that vicious? If i was going to import a vicious rodent from south america, i think i would go for the gusto get a pissed off capybara... damn things look like a 4 foot rat with hooves. Cute guys, but i saw one yawn at a zoo and i thinki would rather get mauled by a pit bull...