PDA

View Full Version : A request for MR Roderick Usher

Vodstok
08-28-2006, 08:55 AM
I, as many can attest to, am an aspiring screenwriter. i enjoy writing in general, and love making short stories, not to mention writing articles. I run Scared Yet .Net (http://scaredyet.net), and write for Planet Half-Life (http://planethelflife.com) , but ultimately i would like to write movies.

I suppose i could PM this to you, but i figured it could benefit others as well . Plus i love abusing the fact that i have been here forever and get away with shit that would get others slapped around :D

My wife struck a deal with me recently. Basically, she would excuse me for 30 minutes daily, no matter what kind of stuff needs to be done around the house, to work on a screenplay, suggesting that if i was consistent, eventually i would finish something that i could sell.

On top of that, you commented in my story The Safe (http://horror.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23748) that you thought this was something i should consider (writing movies), so i figured i would pick you brain for any advice you might have for someone who wants to eventually quit "real work" for a career in screenwriting.

I have 2 plotlines i am going ot be workingon, one is a serious horror with a decent amount of action. the other is very non-serious action horror. thinkSnakes on a plane (which i havent seen, just the concept) with a healthy dose of critters, arachnaphobia, and maybe some gremlins in the mix.

Pretty please?

Vodstok
08-28-2006, 01:04 PM
Ahem.:D

Roderick Usher
08-28-2006, 01:26 PM
all right, Vod here goes.

You obviously have a solid grasp of literature, film etc and the desire to write, so I'll just get to the nuts and bolts of it.

Have you read any screenwriting books? Most of them are worthless, but you need to grab The Screenwriter's Bible by Dave Trottier. It is the most comprehensive guide to all the technical crap that makes a screenplay work. But don't take anyone's word as absolute Gospel, you'll find what works for you.

You should be accutely aware of a three-act structure to your story-telling. It is the language of film. I know it sounds formulaic, but it is actually quite liberating once you get it down.

You must be precise and simple in your action lines/charater descriptions. Break up big blocks of action into individual beats -- this keeps the reader's eye moving down the page at a rapid rate and gives the impression of "speed" - readers love a fast script.

I've come up with my own "rules" that I use to keep my writing on track.

they are:

1. Every scene must drive the story forward

2. Every scene must reveal or reinforce character

3. Mood and tone should be established early and reinforced often

4. Exposition should be handled through or during action

5. Drafts should work their way up the body:
- First draft from the gut (or lower)
- Second draft from the heart
- Subsequent drafts are headwork

Making Characters POP

The key to making a character leap off the page is to know him/her as a real person before you type FADE IN:

A handy tool to get to know your characters is to answer the following 10 questions in as much detail as possible:

1. What is the one thing your character loves most in this world? Why?
2. Where is he/she from? Is the character proud of it? Ashamed?
3. Was childhood happy? Boring? Traumatic?
4. When (if ever) was virginity lost – and in what way?
5. Was he/she raised with religion? Is it still a part of their life? How does religion affect his/her decisions?
6. What’s the character’s favorite food? Color? Movie? Book? Magazine? Sports team?
7. Under what circumstances would your character lie? Why?
8. How does he/she typically react to setbacks?
9. What is his/her greatest fear? Why? How does he/she react when frightened?
10. What is his/her deepest secret shame? (we all have one)

Even if we never use this information in the script, the connection you will form with the character will be dramatically enhanced by the process.

hope this helps!
:D

Roderick Usher
08-28-2006, 02:15 PM
and you are going to need the proper software. Final Draft is the industry standard, but MovieMagic is good too.

It's a touch pricey, but if your work isn't formatted properly, no one will read it - harsh, but very true.

write every day - a half hour is pretty short, but we all deal with time constraints.

My partner and I put in 2-3 hours a day mon-fri and a little more when we're banging out rewrites (like we're doing right now - ugh.)

Kick ass
a writer writes

Vodstok
08-29-2006, 04:45 AM
I would say you have no idea how much this helps, but I think you do :)

Thanks, I REALLY appreciate it.

bwind22
08-29-2006, 04:59 AM
So Roderick is a writer too?

Nice pointers Rod. I've read 'Screenwriting for Dummies' and that's it so maybe I'll check out the book you mentioned as well. I'm basically about a step behind Vod in that screenwriting is something I would like to do eventually, but right now it's more in it's hobby phase. (I have yet to alot X amount of time per day for working on scripts. Although, I do have a few I'm working on, I just write on them when I feel the urge.)

Vodstok
08-29-2006, 05:52 AM
Rod actually does it for a living, which is why i bugged him.

I knew it was a good idea :)

bwind22
08-29-2006, 06:23 AM
Oh really..... Anything we might have seen Rod?

*Runs off to check imdb for roderick usher....*

bwind22
08-29-2006, 06:27 AM
Well.... Frederick Usher was in Mystery Men.... *shrug*

Maybe that's his stage name.

;)

So, what type of writing do you do mainly, Rod?

Hey Vod... I seem to be in the dark here. If there's already a thread about all this, a kindly link in the right direction would be obliged. Thanks.

newb
08-29-2006, 06:29 AM
Roderick Usher was a character in Poe's "Fall of the House of Usher".

bwind22
08-29-2006, 06:52 AM
Originally posted by newb
Roderick Usher was a character in Poe's "Fall of the House of Usher".

Damn. You've made me to look a fool!

I challenge you to a duel!

*Glove slap, baby... Glove slap!*

Okay, Rod... If that's your real name... Anything we might have seen?

Roderick Usher
08-29-2006, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by bwind22
Damn. You've made me to look a fool!

I challenge you to a duel!

*Glove slap, baby... Glove slap!*

Okay, Rod... If that's your real name... Anything we might have seen?

I'm far too much the coward to duel...

My credits thus far have been abyssmal - a handful of SciFi Channel flicks (the checks cleared) - but I've got a very scary horror flick in pre-production (theatrical release this time - even have the distributor) that I'm sure you'll all love.

Once we start shooting (Dec) I'll fill you in on the particulars, but discretion is part of my job, sorry. If the movie is a hit, I'll brag my ass off, but knowing how brutal some can be on this site, I'll keep my identity (and credits) hidden for the time being.

Vodstok
08-29-2006, 07:38 AM
Sci-fi channel, eh?

I still love you, man. I dont suppose you would care to spill the beans about how much sci-fi buys scripts for? They have the best rate sout there for purchasing short stories for their magazine (last i looke dit was 20 cents a word as opposed to the 4-8 most magazines do)

No biggie if you dont.

Roderick Usher
08-29-2006, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by Vodstok
I would say you have no idea how much this helps, but I think you do :)

Thanks, I REALLY appreciate it.

No problem, Vod.

I'd make it a habit of reading the scripts to your favorite films - just to see how the page translates to the screen. You can find tons of free scripts to read online (forgot the links, sorry.)

To answer bwind - I've written 24 feature-length screenplays in just under 6 years (used to be an actor before that) and 18 of them are stright-up horror (anywhere from creature-feature to gothic, period pieces) A couple are action/fantasy (going out with a new one of these in a couple of weeks) and the rest are comedy.

I've sold 1
Optioned 2 (giving someone temporary rights to make the film for less money than an all-out sale - if they fail to make the film in a specific amount of time, the property reverts back to me)
Landed 3 assignments for SciFi Channel
Landed 1 assignment from an Independant producer (a pirate flick, no less, aaaaaaarrrgh)

And newb, thanks for comin' correct with the English lesson. as for me I'll be

"...dreaming dreams no mortals dared to dream before..."

The Flayed One
08-29-2006, 08:15 AM
Hey Rod, another writer here (aren't we all;) )

Just curious; I've gotten paid for writing before, but mostly just doing shit like copy for web pages/brochures and crap like that. It's a start, but it doesn't pay the bills. My question is, and I've heard several different sides of this, is it REALLY better to start off by getting an agent if you're serious?

I know it's always the dream (much like musicians & their demos) that we'll just be able to write an awesome script/manuscript/whatever & send it to a publisher with spectacular results. I'm not sold on this idea.

also woul you red my awxsom vampir story its great i know ull luv it lol! how bout som feedback?!!1

Seriously though, the majority of people say that getting an agent is the only way to go. Thoughts?

Roderick Usher
08-29-2006, 08:25 AM
Here's the deal with agents, and it sucks.

If you don't have an agent, you can't get an agent. These people live in a closed circle that is intentionally exclusive in order to justify the very existance of the position. You simply have to know somebody to get in...that or sell a spec screenplay and they'll come after you.

Finding an agent is the second hardest thing to do as a writer, just behind selling a spec script.

The best way to get going is to enter screenplay competitions. It is how I landed my first manager (had a few) and a manager can get you an agent.

Focus on your craft and write a cool story that you would like to see as a movie. Allow your passion for the material to leap off the page. Do this and the suits will come after you.

Chasing an agent reeks of desperation and Hollywood hates desperate.

Yeah, I'll read your vampire story. Is it posted on the site?

newb
08-29-2006, 10:10 AM
I'mOriginally posted by Roderick Usher
I'm far too much the coward to duel...

My credits thus far have been abyssmal - a handful of SciFi Channel flicks (the checks cleared) - but I've got a very scary horror flick in pre-production (theatrical release this time - even have the distributor) that I'm sure you'll all love.

Once we start shooting (Dec) I'll fill you in on the particulars, but discretion is part of my job, sorry. If the movie is a hit, I'll brag my ass off, but knowing how brutal some can be on this site, I'll keep my identity (and credits) hidden for the time being.

I'm pretty sure he was talking to me.
And if you want to duel Bwind....just know this.....you have to go through my body-guard.......and he's really pissed.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a245/deadskill/angry-chimp-BASE.gif

Vodstok
08-29-2006, 10:11 AM
that is the weirdest looking thing i have seen all day....

Roderick Usher
08-29-2006, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by newb
I'm

I'm pretty sure he was talking to me.
And if you want to duel Bwind....just know this.....you have to go through my body-guard.......and he's really pissed.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a245/deadskill/angry-chimp-BASE.gif
but if I sent Bruce Lee...

shit, not again.

bwind22
08-29-2006, 08:14 PM
http://www.poster.net/lee-bruce/lee-bruce-flames-4900427.jpg

CrimsonFiend138
08-29-2006, 09:27 PM
Sorry but....Bruce Lee would kick the SHIIT out of your monkey.

CrimsonFiend138
08-29-2006, 09:34 PM
And another thing, is I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread....Well I saw it in the main page and That is sweet that your a writer.

I mean an actual WRITER whos MOVIES were on the SCI-FI channel is reading my bullshit post :)

Thanks for the info :).

novakru
09-01-2006, 02:21 PM
LMAO

Once again I bet old Rod is saying "what the fuck have I gotten myself into?"

Sorry,it just struck me as funny-no offense meant in the least to Anyone.

Hey, can we have your autograph?
:D :D

novakru
09-01-2006, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by novakru
LMAO

Sorry,it just struck me as funny-no offense meant in the least to Anyone.

Hey, can we have your autograph?
:D :D

I said old
Sorry!!
I meant: ole , as in ole buddy (even though I do not know you,but you know what I mean)

Roderick Usher
09-01-2006, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by novakru
LMAO

Old Rod?
Wasn't that one of Vod's other film credits?:D

AUSTIN316426808
09-01-2006, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Roderick Usher
Hollywood hates desperate.

That's a little ironic.

Vodstok
09-18-2006, 12:26 PM
Old Rod?
Wasn't that one of Vod's other film credits?:D I can see how you could get "old" and "big" mixed up :)

bwind22
09-19-2006, 08:00 AM
Yeah, Vod was in 'Big Rod', starring him and Dennis Rodman.

Roderick Usher
09-19-2006, 08:11 AM
All right I need all the good intentions and positive energy I can muster. Got a script going up the pipe at Dimension - with Adam Green of HATCHET attached to direct!

It's made it up to the VP of Development who can give us a simple yes or no answer. Should hear in a week to ten days - Hollywood is so fucking slow!

Wish me luck. If it goes, I'll tell you all about it, it's something I'm sure all of you will love.

stygianwitch
09-19-2006, 09:48 AM
All right I need all the good intentions and positive energy I can muster. Wish me luck. If it goes, I'll tell you all about it, it's something I'm sure all of you will love.

Good luck, hope they like it, if they don't, send 'em here, we'll give 'em hell :D

bwind22
09-19-2006, 11:43 PM
All right I need all the good intentions and positive energy I can muster. Got a script going up the pipe at Dimension - with Adam Green of HATCHET attached to direct!

It's made it up to the VP of Development who can give us a simple yes or no answer. Should hear in a week to ten days - Hollywood is so fucking slow!

Wish me luck. If it goes, I'll tell you all about it, it's something I'm sure all of you will love.

That's fuckin' awesome man! Best of luck to ya!

It won't be long now until you are the next Kevin Williamson and forget all about us little people. :D

Roderick Usher
09-20-2006, 08:26 AM
That's fuckin' awesome man! Best of luck to ya!

It won't be long now until you are the next Kevin Williamson and forget all about us little people. :D

As for the little people, I love midgets and could never forget them:D

The Flayed One
09-20-2006, 09:00 AM
I wish you all of the best, Rod!

Another question: You spoke of contests as being the best way of getting something done for an aspiring writer. Can you recommend any lists/sites that list these, and ways young writers can help avoid being scammed by paying fees to bogus contests?

Haunted
09-20-2006, 10:45 AM
And if I were to send you an outline that made a great book, because I don't write screenplays, how do I know you wouldn't rip me off?:D

Oh, and doesn't anyone know that only good writers get fame and notoriety after they've gone and died.;) :p

Miss Olivia
09-20-2006, 11:28 AM

As for the little people, I love midgets and could never forget them:D

Midgets scare me.
Only thing that creeped me out about Xtro.
*shudder*

I had a nightmare after that Surreal Life episode with Vern Troyer (mini-me) drunk and terrorizing the house with pee and mini-nakedness. He was chasing me around on his little scooter making the scary drunk midget noise.

Roderick Usher
09-20-2006, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by The Flayed One
I wish you all of the best, Rod!

Another question: You spoke of contests as being the best way of getting something done for an aspiring writer. Can you recommend any lists/sites that list these, and ways young writers can help avoid being scammed by paying fees to bogus contests?

moviebytes.com

they list virtually all the competitions and includes writers' feeback on how they were treated. I'd steer clear of any competition that hasn't been around for at least two years.

if you're in the horror genre, the best is LA Screamfest. I was a semi-finalist three years in a row before landing a rep, but I got one from this competition.

Roderick Usher
09-20-2006, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Haunted
And if I were to send you an outline that made a great book, because I don't write screenplays, how do I know you wouldn't rip me off?:D

Oh, and doesn't anyone know that only good writers get fame and notoriety after they've gone and died.;) :p

I wouldn't rip anyone off - karma's a bitch. but you should copyright and/or register the outline or story synopsis with the Writer's Guild of America - then you are protected.

I'll gladly take a look at the outline and offer a critique. If my writing partner and I like it, we might ask your permission to write it and give you a "story by" credit.

bwind22
09-21-2006, 01:22 AM
Hey Roderick, I have another question for ya. This one is about talent agents...

How do they normally get paid?

Do you like pay them on an hourly or weekly or monthly basis or is their pay based on whether or not they create income for you?

For example, say you have an agent for a year, but don't sell any scripts (or get any parts or whatever). Are you paying that agent for essentially doing nothing for you? Or does the agent not get paid unless you do somehow?

I'm just curious as to how that works.

Haunted
09-21-2006, 06:01 AM
I'll gladly take a look at the outline and offer a critique. If my writing partner and I like it, we might ask your permission to write it and give you a "story by" credit.

I'm talking about a novel, not a screen play.

I've been wracking my brain as to whether or not to ask you to, when you have time to look a rough "main character" design" story outline/synopsis (two or three paragraphs), and a general description of what I'm trying to do, however, I don't really know if that's "kosher," or rather if that's necessary. ( You know the whole, "go with it, baby!")

The thing is, you're a pro. and I'm not (yet [heh]). I've spoken with other professionals. I've had other pros. take a look at what I'm working on, and I have gotten a "thumbs up."

The thing is, though, most of my writing credibility is in academia. I write damn good analytical thesis papers, documents, and essays.

I once talked to a dude who wrote for TSR (the fantasy rpg comp.) He talked me out of becoming an English major. Told me that it would the worst mistake of my life, if I wanted to be a writer.

Mainly, what I do in the form of creative writing, currently, is poetry, in the form of free verse, with a dash of beat poetry. Every year I buy the Poet's Market and stare at it. That is the one area where the lighter side of my being shows throw. E.A. Poe, I ain't.

Roderick Usher
09-21-2006, 08:02 AM
--bwind--

Agents get 10% of what you make. If you earn nothing, neither do they. Kepps them motivated to find you work. Some agents try to get one over by charging administrative fees. you NEVER need to pay these and anyone who tries to charge them is disreputable.

Managers, however, can charge up to 25% - once again, this is a sign of someone who is disreputable. I'd give a manager 15% if I didn't have an agent as well, but as soon as an agent is added to the equation the manager's fee should drop to 10%.

--Haunted--

I'll gladly take a look and give my honest critique. I'm a pro screenwriter and still trying the tame the novel (and poetry) thing myself, so don't take my word as any kind of absolute.

And writing from academia is awesome - I'm sure your grasp of grammar and sentence construction is far superior to mine.:)

bwind22
09-21-2006, 08:07 AM
--bwind--

Agents get 10% of what you make. If you earn nothing, neither do they. Kepps them motivated to find you work. Some agents try to get one over by charging administrative fees. you NEVER need to pay these and anyone who tries to charge them is disreputable.

Managers, however, can charge up to 25% - once again, this is a sign of someone who is disreputable. I'd give a manager 15% if I didn't have an agent as well, but as soon as an agent is added to the equation the manager's fee should drop to 10%.

Is it neccesary to have both? I understand that an agent tries to get you work, but what would a manager do for ya?

Roderick Usher
09-21-2006, 08:14 AM
A manager is easier to get than an agent. An one of the things they can get for you is and agent.

Agents are plugged into the studio system and have the ability and legal authority to negotioate legal contracts on your behalf.

A Manager's job is more nubulous. A Manager typically works as a mediator, a guy/gal who introduces you to "the right people" while taking a more active role in guiding your career than an Agent.

In my case, I have a lawyer, manager and agent - each one's job is slightly differentiated, but there is also a great deal of crossover.

you certainly don't need both, but yuo do need one in order to get your scripts read by anyone.

No one in this town takes unsolicited scripts.

bwind22
09-21-2006, 08:22 AM
A manager is easier to get than an agent. An one of the things they can get for you is and agent.

Agents are plugged into the studio system and have the ability and legal authority to negotioate legal contracts on your behalf.

A Manager's job is more nubulous. A Manager typically works as a mediator, a guy/gal who introduces you to "the right people" while taking a more active role in guiding your career than an Agent.

In my case, I have a lawyer, manager and agent - each one's job is slightly differentiated, but there is also a great deal of crossover.

you certainly don't need both, but yuo do need one in order to get your scripts read by anyone.

No one in this town takes unsolicited scripts.

Okay, so let me see if I got this down.... (For the sake of ease, I'll use Entourage characters even though I haven't seen anything but the first season.)

Vincent is the movie star. He basically stands in front of the camera and recites his lines.

Eric is sorta like the manager. He offers him advice and hangs out with him alot at social functions.

Ari (1 of the best characters in television history) is the agent. He actively goes out and solicits studios to give Vincent roles.

Is that about right? I guess to me, it seems like the manager is very extraneous and if you already have an agent, would be unneeded, but maybe there's some element of what they do that I'm missing. Id' be hard pressed to justify paying a guy 10% if all he's doing is introducing me to people but then again, I'm not in Hollywood and from what I un derstand it's a lot more of who you know than what you know.

I have heard that unsolicited scripts generally get returned unopened so as to protect the studios from possible theft lawsuits.

Roderick Usher
09-21-2006, 08:27 AM
you got is exactly right. and what Eric does as Vinny Chase's manager is read the scripts, sort through material and counsel his client/friend.

Yeah, I really don't think one needs all the reps, but I'm still trying to claw my way up and I need everyone on my side that I can get.

Should I ever reach the position of power to which I strive, I will certainly cut one or the other loose. You can get by without an agent if you hae a manager and a lawyer. So I'm not sure which one will go...I'll see who treats me better :)

Hollywood is like a junior high cafeteria and everyone wants to sit at the cool kid's table - no one wants to sit alone

Haunted
09-21-2006, 08:30 AM

--Haunted--

I'll gladly take a look and give my honest critique. I'm a pro screenwriter and still trying the tame the novel (and poetry) thing myself, so don't take my word as any kind of absolute.

And writing from academia is awesome - I'm sure your grasp of grammar and sentence construction is far superior to mine.:)

If you're sure it's something you wouldn't mind doing, then pm me you're email. ...And consider it sort of a friendly exchange of ideas. (My sentence structure is only "superior" after I revise about a million times, grammar book in hand. [I actually have a copy of a high school grammar text book and a college text writing text book called "A Work in Progress"]).

As for poetry, hey, you scratch my back, and I'll scratch yours, as the saying goes. It's something that we could pass back and forth for just general purposes. Both of us are competent enough as writers to know whether or not a person's work is good, however, we are not equipped to judge our own work due to our own self doubt. Therefore, it might be good for you to hear someone who knows poetry (and I do) to say, "Rod Usher, you really are good, so stop staring at The Poet's Market, kay?"

Cheers!

bwind22
09-21-2006, 08:31 AM
you got is exactly right. and what Eric does as Vinny Chase's manager is read the scripts, sort through material and counsel his client/friend.

Yeah, I really don't think one needs all the reps, but I'm still trying to claw my way up and I need everyone on my side that I can get.

That makes perfect sense.

Should I ever reach the position of power to which I strive, I will certainly cut one or the other loose. You can get by without an agent if you hae a manager and a lawyer. So I'm not sure which one will go...I'll see who treats me better :)

Hollywood is like a junior high cafeteria and everyone wants to sit at the cool kid's table - no one wants to sit alone

Hmmm... Good analogy.

So, has your manager introduced you to any mega stars that would make us oooo and ahhhh or gotten you into parties at the Playboy mansion yet?

Roderick Usher
09-21-2006, 08:56 AM
So, has your manager introduced you to any mega stars that would make us oooo and ahhhh or gotten you into parties at the Playboy mansion yet?

Mostly just producers whose names are hardly household, but I've been pretty excited to be in the room with them.

Had a bunch of meetings with Robert Evans in his huge and very old school offices on the Paramount lot - very cool. I Always giggle to myself when I enter any of the studios, just so funny to be at Universal or Sony or Paramount or Fox.

Roderick Usher
09-21-2006, 03:36 PM
Had lunch with Vinessa Shaw (Hills Have Eyes remake) today. She's even prettier in person. Seems she's interested in one of my projects:D

bwind22
09-21-2006, 08:32 PM
Had lunch with Vinessa Shaw (Hills Have Eyes remake) today. She's even prettier in person. Seems she's interested in one of my projects:D

Sweet! I'm sure having known actors interested in your stuff makes the studios take a closer look too.

No Playboy parties though?

Vodstok
09-22-2006, 06:19 AM
the mods should just sticky this thing, because every time it drops off the front page, I am just going ot bump it back up.... :)

i have been hitting the "Writing Planning" pretty hardcore these days. i havent had time to actually sit down and write much, but this weekend i should be finishing 90% of the housework we have, so i can dedicate my free time to fun work. Thank god it's almost fall, this is the best time of the year for me.

it's like the creative dam broke and i can barely keep track of all the ideas, characters and plotlines pouring out of my head.

i have 4 screenplays i am outlining, 3 serial stories (including Gloom ;), and more short stories than oyu can shake a stick at.

Seriously, your arm would get tired before you could shake it at all of them.

Why are you looking at me like that?

Edit:
Not to be sappy or anything but between Roderick and my wife, i have not felt this good or positive that this oculd actually happen for me. i actually like my current job a LOT, but as much as i like programming, it is A) for someone Else, and B) not my #1 passion.

I would love to bounce some of my stuff off of you Rod, when i have more complete work (proffesional opinions are great), but i would hate to inundate you. I cant stand people who take advantage of free services.

Roderick Usher
09-22-2006, 06:27 AM
Sweet! I'm sure having known actors interested in your stuff makes the studios take a closer look too.

No Playboy parties though?

No playboy mansion...yet.

Actually the role Vinessa wants is in a movie I already sold and is going into production in Missouri (it's a tax rebate thing) the first week of dec.

Vod
Glad to hear it, man. This is usually my most productive time of year as well. I say usually, becasue I'm bone-dry right now. I've got bupkiss.

Anyone who wants a laugh can check out Kraken: Tentacles of the Deep this sat on SciFI. I wrote the first two drafts (it was originally a modern-day Scilla and Charibdis tale) and then passed the work off to a friend, who was subsequently replaced by another writer. It's directed by Tibor Tackas (THE GATE) so I'll be watching to see if there's ANYTHING left from my original.

Vodstok
09-22-2006, 06:35 AM

Anyone who wants a laugh can check out Kraken: Tentacles of the Deep this sat on SciFI. I wrote the first two drafts (it was orogially a modern-day Scilla and Charibdis tale) and then passed the work off to a friend, who was subsequently replaced by another writer. It's directed by Tibor Tackas (THE GATE) so I'll be watching to see if there's ANYTHING left from my original. I have been keeping my eye out for this since you first mentioned it :) I think we are sending Bree to a nice weekend getaway tomorrow night (she needs a break from me and the baby BIG TIME) so i should have the tv to myself :)

BTW.... did you comeup with the title? :)

Roderick Usher
09-22-2006, 07:04 AM
nope - the title when I was attached was
"untitled giant squid project"

but I was pushing for "Sucker"

bwind22
09-22-2006, 07:08 AM
Ill DVR it and check it out.

Vodstok
09-22-2006, 07:09 AM
nope - the title when I was attached was
"untitled giant squid project"

but I was pushing for "Sucker" That would have been great :D

either way, it would have to be better than Peter Becnhly's "The Beast".

God i couldnt stand that man... a marine biologist that waited almost 30 years to say "oops, maybe it was a bad idea to write a book and a movie that would actually INCREASE the number of people and sharks getting killed in the world." Dick...

I love the one word titles by the way... "Justice", "Bearwood", "The Safe" (technically 2, but....)

I actually named "Father Dillon's Funeral" because i wanted something wordy for a title for a change :D

urgeok
09-22-2006, 07:14 AM
That would have been great :D
God i couldnt stand that man... a marine biologist that waited almost 30 years to say "oops, maybe it was a bad idea to write a book and a movie that would actually INCREASE the number of people and sharks getting killed in the world." Dick...

in all fairness - i doubt very much he knew the impact that writing that book would have...

Vodstok
09-22-2006, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by urgeok
in all fairness - i doubt very much he knew the impact that writing that book would have... I think my biggest problem was his attitude about it. He was pretty much "So what?' about it until a little before he died. if he had just been an author, i wouldnt have cared (i dont blame speilberg for the movie), but as a scientist, there is a certain obligation there. it would be like a doctor making a completely untrue story about a disease people commonly fear and then shrugging when i causes a panic...

It's kind of liek what Happened to Steve Irwin. Whithin a week, some dumbasses were out killing stingrays out of "revenge" :rolleyes:

Human nature is hardly that unpredictable.

urgeok
09-22-2006, 07:37 AM

It's kind of liek what Happened to Steve Irwin. Whithin a week, some dumbasses were out killing stingrays out of "revenge" :rolleyes:

have you seen the little joke gif.s circulating now of him swimmingmadly from a stingray...

human behavior is VERY predictable these days

Vodstok
09-22-2006, 07:44 AM
Exactly. it's probably a big reason why horror is so popular. how many horror movies deal with undeserving people having something terrible happnening to them? So much of it is assholes and sluts getting their just-deserves; basically bad things happnening to bad people. It's getting increasingly rare that the stories involve people just minding their own business and getting blindsided by something awful. i think that was part of wht i liked about Wrong Turn and the new THHE, non eo fthe characters were really out looking for trouble, or had that appaling of personalities, so it really sucked for them when they died.

So far out of the stories i have published on my site, only Justice has an asshole getting somethign bad sderved to him, and even then, the good guy suffers too. (pats self on back)

bwind22
09-22-2006, 08:42 AM
Exactly. it's probably a big reason why horror is so popular. how many horror movies deal with undeserving people having something terrible happnening to them? So much of it is assholes and sluts getting their just-deserves; basically bad things happnening to bad people. It's getting increasingly rare that the stories involve people just minding their own business and getting blindsided by something awful. i think that was part of wht i liked about Wrong Turn and the new THHE, non eo fthe characters were really out looking for trouble, or had that appaling of personalities, so it really sucked for them when they died.

So far out of the stories i have published on my site, only Justice has an asshole getting somethign bad sderved to him, and even then, the good guy suffers too. (pats self on back)

I liked Wrong Turn a lot too. I think I liked it because the characters seemed like regular people (Kinda like you said), but I also like that they pretty acted like normal people and didn't really do anything where you are like... "Well, why the hell would you go in there?" They reacted to their really shitty situation in much the same way I think just about anybody would.

Roderick Usher
09-22-2006, 09:16 AM
The movie that we start shooting in December is called DAMNED (one word title for ya, Vod) and it is about innocent people getting blindsided by trouble. It's also an old school 1950's style socio-political allegory while delivering a very 21st century visceral punch.

It's the first produced credit of mine that I'm really proud of. :D

urgeok
09-22-2006, 09:30 AM
So much of it is assholes and sluts getting their just-deserves; basically bad things happnening to bad people.

sluts are not bad people !!!

well, not the girl sluts.

Vodstok
09-22-2006, 09:55 AM
The movie that we start shooting in December is called DAMNED (one word title for ya, Vod) and it is about innocent people getting blindsided by trouble. It's also an old school 1950's style socio-political allegory while delivering a very 21st century visceral punch.

It's the first produced credit of mine that I'm really proud of. :D Do the other ones make you feel dirty? :)

Sci-fi promised you the tape would never go out, but now the entire world knows the humiliating things you agreed to...

Wow... Screenwriting sounds alot like porn....

I have to admit, i am terrified that some of what i am working on will get sold, then end up in the hands of someone like Paul Anderson or Uwe Boll and they will suck the soul out of it and turn my vivid, beautiful dreams into boring shit....

Haunted
09-22-2006, 11:18 AM
You could always take drama courses and learn how to be a director. As a former drama student, directing is quite fun. It's its own little creational process.

bwind22
09-22-2006, 11:27 AM

I have to admit, i am terrified that some of what i am working on will get sold, then end up in the hands of someone like Paul Anderson or Uwe Boll and they will suck the soul out of it and turn my vivid, beautiful dreams into boring shit....

That's something I'm sure most screenwriters fear.

"No God no! Not Uwe Boll! Well... Guess my career is over..."

*puts shotgun in mouth & pulls trigger*

Roderick Usher
09-22-2006, 12:01 PM
I know the remake thing drives people nuts, but my partner and I are up for the job to write the remake of THE STEPFATHER. I loved the original, but totally see room for updating and improving this one.

Vodstok
09-22-2006, 12:24 PM
Not all are bad though. The Hills have eyes was great, and i was sure it was going to be crap.

The right writer, the right director, anything can be good.

bwind22
09-24-2006, 05:02 AM
I also really liked the Dawn remake & the TCM remake despite not seeing any reason for those two movies to be redone in the first place.

I watched Kraken last night ROd. How much of you story was left in there? Any? I was actually enjoying it quite a bit all the way up until the very end. I thought the way the giant squid was killed at the end was pretty anti-climactic, but overall I was entertained. Sci-Fi had a nice little creature marathon going on yesterday.

Roderick Usher
09-24-2006, 08:40 AM
I turned Kraken off halfway through.

They kept some of the themes and scenes I wrote but eliminated most. In my draft the squid lived near a freak wave spot off the coast of Gibralter. The combo of the huge repeating wave and the squid was the real life insiration for the legend of Scilla & Charibdis. The whole story was supppoes tyo take place where the Mediterranean meets the Atlantic.

The spot was a nautical graveyard, where a Nazi sub lay beside a Phonecian ship and various watercraft throughout the ages.

In my draft, the heroine gets her eye poked out by the bad guy(not Maxwell Odemus?) - in her fianal scene she had an eyepatch, sexy.

Also our climax involved the Squid fighting a Sperm Whale (staight out of old sailor's lore) and our heroes trapped in a seacave with a rising tide and surrounded by a hundred very hungry little baby squids.

Didn't watch the end, but I'm guessing that wasn't in it.

Really embarassing :o

I didn't think they were going to put my name on it.

can't wait for DAMNED to start shooting so I can put this SciFi shit behind me!

bwind22
09-24-2006, 09:19 PM
They put your name in the credits? What'd you get? A writing credit? Story credit? Something else?

Your ending (and story) sounds better. The way this ended was the 2 main good characters & the 1 main bad character were in a standoff on the last remaining floating boat. The Bad guy had the girl at gunpoint then the squid came up and pulled them both into the water & killed the bad guy. The squid then attacked the good guy who managed to trap a tentacle in some kind of cable roller of some sort and then proceeded to shoot the squid about a dozen times and it died. :rolleyes: Then his boat started sinking so he got on the liferaft and as he drifted, he heard the good girl yelling for help. He pulled her into the raft and they floated until morning before getting rescued. Like I said, pretty anti-climactic.