PDA

View Full Version : Doom 3

FangoFan
12-18-2003, 03:49 PM
I just today pre-ordered a copy of Doom 3, it looks badass.

I can't wait though.

cheebacheeba
12-18-2003, 03:54 PM
Shit......all I can say is : FINALLY!
I've been seeing the same few Doom3 screenshots for about two years...it'll be nice to have something more.

dmihatmttl
12-19-2003, 02:30 AM
Agreed. I must have been living under a rock, 'cause I just saw the screenshots for the first time a couple days ago. But my God . . . this thing is gonna be . . . holy shit. It's gonna RULE.

J.N.
http://members.tripod.com/~NEWMANATOR/index.html

mudsliptones
12-19-2003, 05:41 AM
the shadows are crazy work
there are not onluy shadows on the floor like in all games now, but also on the character itself
so if an arm bends in the light you can see its shadow on the body

downside
12-19-2003, 06:08 AM
Note to anyone interested in this game: The video card requirements are super high, much like with the newly released Deus Ex 2. You need a card with a pixel shader version higher than 1, and it must support the new DirectX 9+. Currently, the ATI 9800 series, the newest series, is the only ATI range that does this. I'm not sure about teh nVidia cards.

I only say this because if you're card doesn't have these two things (which most cards made before this summer do not), the game will simply error and not start.

Besides this though, I love the idea of this game. It's a remake of the original game, but obviously done with more style and class and detail. I can't wait.

By the way Deus Ex 2...also worth the card.

mudsliptones
12-19-2003, 06:33 AM
if I put it on a 1024 resolution it goes slow and I own a amd xp2400+ with 512 mbram and a geforce ti200
gotta upgrade soon, the card is some years old now, but Ive been waiting till the 128 mb ram cards get cheaper, I saw some 256 mb cards already so

evil never dies
07-25-2004, 01:34 AM
this game is an awsome game

if I will buy geforce fx5200 128 mb this will work work good?

Hate_Breeder
07-25-2004, 01:52 AM
Games *cough*

ShankS
07-25-2004, 07:18 AM
and I shall be ordering my new graphics card soon. :D

Egekrusher
07-25-2004, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by ShankS
and I shall be ordering my new graphics card soon. :D

I'll be attempting to play it on an Athlon XP 3000+ (overclocked 2500+) w/ 512 MB of RAM and a Geforce 4 Ti-4200. Wish me luck. :(

ShankS
07-25-2004, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by Egekrusher
I'll be attempting to play it on an Athlon XP 3000+ (overclocked 2500+) w/ 512 MB of RAM and a Geforce 4 Ti-4200. Wish me luck. :(

it'll run ok on that, you'll just see less of the eye candy. Carmak was interviewed last week and he said many older systems, which are lower spec than yours will run it and be playable. The game engine has been optimised to work on older systems.

btw I've got a barton 3k and 1gig 3200 ram. I'll be getting a nvidia6800 GT soon and i'll be overclocking the hell out of it!! :D

ShankS
07-25-2004, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by downside
You need a card with a pixel shader version higher than 1, and it must support the new DirectX 9+. Currently, the ATI 9800 series, the newest series, is the only ATI range that does this. I'm not sure about teh nVidia cards.

I only say this because if you're card doesn't have these two things (which most cards made before this summer do not), the game will simply error and not start.

this isnt quite correct, the game will run, the game engine will detect and work on an older card, even if the card doesnt run Dx9, but Dx9 is installed. The game will not error, unless there is some sort of other problem. See my above post aswell.

Vodstok
07-26-2004, 05:43 AM
Doom 3 is so close, i can almost smell the brimstone.... God i cant wait. Knowing it is a week away almost makes me forget i would kill for Half-life 2 right about now.....

ShankS
07-27-2004, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by Vodstok
Doom 3 is so close, i can almost smell the brimstone.... God i cant wait. Knowing it is a week away almost makes me forget i would kill for Half-life 2 right about now.....

hell yeah..... I've changed my avatar for a while, in Honour of the game.

Vodstok
07-27-2004, 04:41 AM
I'm really looking foward to the noise in it. They apparently were going for the "Ambient background noise" like quake, rather than actual music, and although Trent Reznor backed out :(, The sounds are being done by Chris Vrenna :) (former drummer and co-founder of Nine Inch Nails and scorer of American Mcgee's Alice, which was incredible)

There was another guy helping Chris out. i cant remember his name (and I am too lazy to look it up right now) but he is another member of Tweaker and has played for a ton of other bands. :) i cant wait.

Sing on over to http://www.planetdoom.com/ to read up on it. they also have some videos that you HAVE to check out if you have a high bandwidth connection. you have to.

dantehorrorfan
08-05-2004, 08:05 PM
i hope doom 3 is good even though most sequels suck

Vodstok
08-06-2004, 04:15 AM
It's not a sequal, its a retelling of the first one with super-advanced technology. Kind of like the Dawn of the Dead remake.

Egekrusher
08-06-2004, 05:20 AM
I'm halfway through the game. It is fucking AMAZING. And amazingly harsh..

I'm running the game at 800x600 at an average of 10fps. In other words, I can barely play the damn thing. :(

Egekrusher
08-07-2004, 07:45 PM
I beat it!!

I put well over 20 hours of play time into it, on easy, with cheat codes on. It still took me that long. It's a hell of a long game.

I LOVE THIS GAME!!!!!

RAAARRRR!!!

Hate_Breeder
08-08-2004, 04:47 PM
HOOORAY EGE! I looked at Fred Meyers which is the best place to buy games in Brookings and not 1 copy was sold. But i might save up my money to buy it :cool:

ShankS
08-08-2004, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by Egekrusher
I'm halfway through the game. It is fucking AMAZING. And amazingly harsh..

I'm running the game at 800x600 at an average of 10fps. In other words, I can barely play the damn thing. :(

lol

should be getting my new graff card by the time my copy of D3 gets sent..... max fps for me !!!!! :D @ 1280x1024 :D

dantehorrorfan
08-09-2004, 12:57 AM
me and my brother got doom 3 yesterdayt and it is a baddass game and its not a sequal its a remake i think

Vodstok
08-09-2004, 06:20 AM
it IS a remake. id software has been calling it a "retelling" of the original story.

newb
08-13-2004, 07:53 AM
Ok.....this may be some kind of Blasphemy here...bit I gotta say it.
Doom 3 is alright. Not the best game out there today,but its alright.After playing it on and off for a couple of weeks I've come to the conclusion that I need more than just ,shoot,find key/switch,shoot some more. Granted the first couple of days playing it were great. Graphics to die for, scary as hell, but it starts to get a little repetive. Don't get me wrong I'm still playing it and am enjoying it much but I find myself going back to Far Cry more than Doom 3 . This is just my opinion so don't start getting all crazy and flaming me ya little fuckers cause I will kick some ass.
....................Half Life 2 is THE ONE to wait for.

Egekrusher
08-13-2004, 08:35 AM
YOU... nevermind. I won't start.

Vodstok
08-13-2004, 08:50 AM
NEWB YOU PIECE OF SHIT, YOU ARE SO FULL OF IT!!!! DOOM 3 IS THE GREATEST GAME EVER!!!

Oh, wait, I havent even played it yet... Never mind.... (goes off and sulks ina corner alone....and pouting....)

ShankS
08-13-2004, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by newb
Ok.....this may be some kind of Blasphemy here...bit I gotta say it.
Doom 3 is alright. Not the best game out there today,but its alright.After playing it on and off for a couple of weeks I've come to the conclusion that I need more than just ,shoot,find key/switch,shoot some more. Granted the first couple of days playing it were great. Graphics to die for, scary as hell, but it starts to get a little repetive. Don't get me wrong I'm still playing it and am enjoying it much but I find myself going back to Far Cry more than Doom 3 . This is just my opinion so don't start getting all crazy and flaming me ya little fuckers cause I will kick some ass.
....................Half Life 2 is THE ONE to wait for.

thats what Doom is all about and ment to be........ except this time we get to play in environments created in the most advanced graphics engine to date.

see monster > aim > shoot > kill > reload > aim > shoot > kill > the end.

Doom1&2 were like this. everyone knows what doom3 is all about... unless you were to young to have experienced its predecessors.

I cant see what the problem is.

newb
08-13-2004, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by ShankS

Doom1&2 were like this. everyone knows what doom3 is all about... unless you were to young to have experienced its predecessors.

Not quite...I'm probabaly old enough to be your........older brother.
I fully understand the concept of the game and its origins. Its just after playing more sophisticated first person shooters, I tend to need more than simply "kill everything in site, move on" type shooters. Like I said I fully appreciate the graphics and am enjoying the game..........I just don't think its the BEST GAME in this particuliar genre out today. Like I said, Far Cry is getting more of my time than Doom 3. Maybe its the whole tropical island settings and the ability to interact with such that has me enthralled.But like I said...this is just my opinion.
No harm no foul Shanks.......I still would like to get together and have beer with you....if I happen to find myself in the UK.

ShankS
08-13-2004, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by newb
Not quite...I'm probabaly old enough to be your........older brother.
I fully understand the concept of the game and its origins. Its just after playing more sophisticated first person shooters, I tend to need more than simply "kill everything in site, move on" type shooters. Like I said I fully appreciate the graphics and am enjoying the game..........I just don't think its the BEST GAME in this particuliar genre out today. Like I said, Far Cry is getting more of my time than Doom 3. Maybe its the whole tropical island settings and the ability to interact with such that has me enthralled.But like I said...this is just my opinion.
No harm no foul Shanks.......I still would like to get together and have beer with you....if I happen to find myself in the UK.

I'd never accept any game is 'The Best game Ever' ....so many games are around, that can offer so many things that other games dont give.

yeah I agree that Far Cry gives you more of an opportunity to do different things and interact with parts of the game..... meaning you give it more time, because it's a much bigger game. There was no other game before this that brought about such lush environments due to the engine.... this is what was needed to capture a fresh audience and gamer, that had seen so many games before.

Doom3 on the other hand, already had it's target audience.....John Carmack new before he started working on D3, who his target audience was going to be....... these people were the ones who grew up with Doom 1&2, and he knew what these people wanted and it was inevitable a few years ago, that I.D. would deliver the Game and put these 'hardcore' fans back in the environment they wanted to be back in..... back with monsters & demons with weaponry that would do some damage, just like in 1&2.

imo D3 should be as it is.... and how Carmack envisiaged what Doom 1 would look like with todays technology and engine, a total revamp of the original Doom.

I.D. have done a superb job.

:)

btw be up for a beer anytime :)

shrine
09-09-2004, 07:38 PM
Doom 3 for xbox in october!!! i can't wait... if i had a pc worthy of playing it on i would... but i have to wait for the xbox version.

_Leatha_Face_
09-13-2004, 09:42 PM
played it, beat it

games fuckin owns level "Hell" was awesome but this game is almost impossible without cheat codes....