PDA

View Full Version : Watchmen

The_Return
08-13-2006, 06:38 PM
Well I heard awhile back that they were making a movie of Watchmen. Supposedly it's been in various stages of production for awhile now, but is now really starting to get on track, with Zack Snyder attached to direct.

When I heared this, I thought "Great, another new superhero movie, cant wait!".

That was before I had actually read Watchmen.

Hollywood will butcher it, there is no question in my mind.

*Spoilers*

The plot is the main thing thats going to get fucked. One of the things I loved about the graphic novel was that it had the balls to let Veidt win. I was going to say "it had the balls to let the bad guy win", but that just opens up another aspect: Was Veidt really a bad guy? The story and characters were all so complex and detailed....Hollywood will just turn it into another run-of-the-mill, big budget CGI action flick.

Another thing that wouldnt work is Rorschach. One of the coolest parts of the first half of the book (for me at least) was when he was revealed as Kovacks. No matter how well cast he may be, that just would not translate to film. Nor would most of the book for that matter.

Im not exactly against the movie...even if they screw it up, it'll be interesting to see how it turns out. I am worried though...

The_Punisher
08-13-2006, 07:08 PM
Watchman is an amazing book and one of the few i cant imagine as a movie, you hit it right on the head, it is far to complicated and even in the hands of a skilled director would make for a terribly dissapointing rendition.

The_Return
08-14-2006, 09:19 AM
Another thing:

It should be made in at least 2 installments. Even a 3 hour movie would be too short...maybe 2 installments of 2.5/3 hours would work better....or a 2.5 hour trilogy.

The_Punisher
08-14-2006, 12:13 PM
If anything, i think a good series with good production values, kinda a sopranos type thing or band of brothers, would be pretty kick ass.

The_Return
08-14-2006, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by The_Punisher
If anything, i think a good series with good production values, kinda a sopranos type thing or band of brothers, would be pretty kick ass.

I dunno, Ive heard that idea thrown around before. I think a series of movies would work better....this really deserves a bigger budget and a better cast than a mini-series would have.

Zero
08-14-2006, 01:03 PM
at one point Watchmen was being touted as a Terry Gilliam film, then was being pitched as a sort of LOTRs set of films all filmed at once but released gradually. . . then it was dropped. . . then picked up and went into pre-production with locations and casting almost set . . . then dropped again. . . now picked up again but with out a solid script i won't hold my breath.

as for a series - i disagree with return on this one - HBO has show it can do series with awesome casts, strong effects, and outstanding writing/pacing. series like deadwood, six feet under, and the sopranos are among the smartest and best acted pieces of entertainment period - i actually think Watchmen would be better without big name stars (what Brad Pitt as rorscharch?) and just good solid acting

but . . . we'll wait and see (or should i say we'll watch. . .)

The_Punisher
08-14-2006, 04:33 PM
HBO has show it can do series with awesome casts, strong effects, and outstanding writing/pacing.

exactly what i am saying, plus they could take thier time, not rush it, and really hit it out of the park.