PDA

View Full Version : kevin smith = horror..........why?

dabruce16
08-09-2006, 11:13 PM
don't get me wrong. i love kevin smith films. but him directing horror.......i dont know about that. i imagine a lot of talking, then BAM...a kill. then back to a lot of talking about star wars or such stuff. what do you guys think. does smith have what it takes to direct a horror film?

The STE
08-09-2006, 11:34 PM
Ability to write good dialogue? Attention to character development? A sense of structure and narritive?

Man, he really ISN'T a good horror director...

dabruce16
08-09-2006, 11:37 PM
i know, it is very scary that smith might make a horror movie that is actually smart. i just hope it is gory.

Ooky_Kabuki
08-10-2006, 12:12 AM
I'm sure I'm the only one in the world but I don't really like him all that much to begin with. He's ok but not all that. However, I think that his directing a horror film may broaden his works and I would probably watch it.

urgeok
08-10-2006, 08:44 AM
i think kevin smith can do anything well he sets his mind to.....

as long as he leaves chris rock the hell out of his movies.

chris rock is a brilliant stand up guy but he glaringly clashes with the sensibilities of the View Askew world Smith created.

maybe he can get Ben to do Phantoms II

Vodstok
08-10-2006, 09:01 AM
Phantoms is such a horrid waste of film....

Problem number 1, Ben Affleck. number 2, Ben Affleck in a lead role.

urgeok
08-10-2006, 09:15 AM
i'm one of the few people on the planet that doesnt have a problem with Affleck ...

i think he's a fine actor ...and i love everything he's done with Kevin Smith ..

Miss Olivia
08-10-2006, 10:20 AM
Ben Affleck didn't bother me in Phantoms as much as Rose McGowan's shitty acting. Yes, she's hot. If they would have had her naked through the whole movie and cut all her dialogue, it would have been better. Naked girls don't bother me, shitty acting does.

Despare
08-10-2006, 05:49 PM
I liked Phantoms, mostly due to liking the book and of course Mr. Peter O'Toole. Didn't think it was as bad as people say it was. I think Smith has read enough graphic novels to know what gritty is and I think his comedy is at times dark enough to transition into the horror/comedy genre but I doubt he'd even be interested in straight up horror.

newb
08-10-2006, 06:57 PM
Is there a KS horror movie in the works that I don't know about....or is this just speculation?

dabruce16
08-10-2006, 09:04 PM
i guess he talked about it during an interview. he said that it would be a comedy horror film, but instead the movie will be a straight out horror film, with lots of blood.
the main thing that i am worried about it, the mood of the film. even kevin smith knows that he can't direct worth a shit. sure he can direct a comedy that makes people laugh, but can he direct a movie where the tension has to be high. i'm hoping that he gets a great DP who will shoot the film very eerily and horrifying.

bwind22
08-11-2006, 12:15 AM
Until we see something saying Kevin Smith is actually doing a horror film, this is a little irrelevant, isn't it?

Clerks, Mallrats & Chasing Amy were good low budget indie flicks. Dogma was pretty awesome. Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back was hilarious. I haven't seen Clerks 2 or Jersey Girl yet, but from what I've seen of his work, Kevin Smith hasn't done me wrong. I think if he ever does decide to do horror, he'll throw in some comedy and keep it lighthearted. I certainly don't picture him directing the next Saw type movie or anything like that, but I could see him doing something along the lines of Shaun of the Dead.

Angra
08-11-2006, 01:05 AM
Yeah, i imagine it would be a horror movie with some funny dialogues and far out characters.

Would surely be a movie i would look for at my blockbuster. But i wouldn´t spend money on a cinema ticket.

dabruce16
08-11-2006, 06:37 AM
it pretty much has been confirmed, with smith actually saying that he is doing a straight up horror film. this all happened at clerks 2 showing i think. read about it here.

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=24133

here is what part of it reads.

I went to the Clerks showing in Red Bank, NJ tonight where Kevin Smith did an hour-long Q&A before the show. One kid asked him about the horror movie rumor and he confirmed it as being true. From what I can remember, he said, "Yes, I am doing a horror movie next. It's entitled 'Jersey Girl 2.' No, I'm kidding, but yes, I am doing a horror movie next." When asked if it would be a comedy horror, "No, its going to be straight horror. I feel after 7 comedies its time to take a left turn and do a straight up different movie, in this case horror. Its gonna have all of the horror you'd expect, blood and guts...and tits. No, no, no, not that, I'm talkin about man tits. What? What's so bad about man tits? I have tits! They're sexy! And hairy...but, yeah, I'm doin a horror movie." And finally, when asked as to when, he said that it "wouldn't be for a year or two. I just got done makin a movie, I'm not rushing into another. Probably two years."

urgeok
08-11-2006, 07:09 AM
i'll look forward to this ..

all it takes to make a decent horror film is some brains ..

Kevin Smith is a smart guy..

AUSTIN316426808
08-11-2006, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by dabruce16
kevin smith knows that he can't direct worth a shit.

I don't agree with that at all, he's a damn good director imo. I've enjoyed all his movies and I'm looking forward to seeing this if it happens.

I've never really thought that if someone does x type of film that they wouldn't be able to make a y type film. A good director is a good director

Speilberg's made great films about dinosaurs, aliens, WWII, Indiana Jones ect.

urgeok
08-11-2006, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by AUSTIN316426808
I don't agree with that at all, he's a damn good director imo. I've enjoyed all his movies and I'm looking forward to seeing this if it happens.

I've never really thought that if someone does x type of film that they wouldn't be able to make a y type film. A good director is a good director

Speilberg's made great films about dinosaurs, aliens, WWII, Indiana Jones ect.

i agree .. he likes to put himself down .. thats his shtick ..
but i think he is very confident (to the point of subtle arrogance) that he is a very good filmmaker.

you can easily read between the lines and see that in his comments and interviews.

dabruce16
08-11-2006, 02:04 PM
that last time, smith went away from his usual dick and fart joke movie, he was met with horrible results (jersey girl), i would just rather see a clerks type movie from him. but who knows. he could add something new to the horror genre and freshen it up a little bit. plus things always change. wasn't he susposed to direct fletch won? now he has nothing to do with it. smith said that it will be a couple of years before the horror movie. watch the idea get dropped altogether.

AUSTIN316426808
08-11-2006, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by dabruce16
that last time, smith went away from his usual dick and fart joke movie

I think they're a little deeper than that but to each his own.

dabruce16
08-11-2006, 09:35 PM
yeah, i guess you are right. they are a little deeper then that. chasing amy was an amazing film and clerks 2 was a great movie about friendship. but the core is all about dick and fart. i wish smith the best of luck in the horror genre. it would be bad ass, if the horror movie involved jay and silent bob. that would be a must see.

The STE
08-12-2006, 12:04 AM
Jay and Silent Bob have been in a horror movie already. It was called Scream 3

dabruce16
08-12-2006, 05:46 AM
yeah they have, but i want a horror movie that involves them as the main characters, not just a five second walk through.

AUSTIN316426808
08-12-2006, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by urgeok

as long as he leaves chris rock the hell out of his movies.

chris rock is a brilliant stand up guy but he glaringly clashes with the sensibilities of the View Askew world Smith created.

Just watched Jay and Silent Bob again and I think while a little brash, he fit in.

massacre man
08-12-2006, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by The STE
Jay and Silent Bob have been in a horror movie already. It was called Scream 3 Jason Mewes was one of the lead characters in "R.S.V.P" he acted just like Jay without Kevin Smith standing next to him.

Roderick Usher
08-15-2006, 04:23 PM
Talk about scary

I saw KS's fat ass yesterday at the Sherman Oaks Castle Park (local arcade/batting cage/putt-putt) and I may not sleep for weeks!