PDA

View Full Version : Novels or movies?

razoreater
08-03-2006, 04:04 AM
Are there any horror works that you feel are better as novels than as movies. I can tell you that I believe all of Clive Barker's works are much more disturbing as written works.

BloodRedFlower
08-03-2006, 04:08 AM
All Stephen King's books are WAAAAY scarier than the movies. I can't talk about Carrie though, cause I didn't read it.

In my opinion, the only quality movies ever made from his stories weren't horror, like The Green Mile or Shawshank's Redemption.

So.. when it comes to Stephen King, read the novels, forget the movies.

Katrina
08-03-2006, 04:26 AM
It varies from book to book, and movie to movie.

I think Bram Stoker's Dracula (by Coppola) is a lot scarier than the original book. It varies.

stygianwitch
08-03-2006, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by BloodRedFlower
All Stephen King's books are WAAAAY scarier than the movies. I can't talk about Carrie though, cause I didn't read it.

In my opinion, the only quality movies ever made from his stories weren't horror, like The Green Mile or Shawshank's Redemption.

So.. when it comes to Stephen King, read the novels, forget the movies.

Yep, what he said

BloodRedFlower
08-03-2006, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by Katrina
It varies from book to book, and movie to movie.

I think Bram Stoker's Dracula (by Coppola) is a lot scarier than the original book. It varies.

I agree. :D

Miss Olivia
08-03-2006, 09:28 AM
I think Koontz' movie adaptions leave something to be desired too. Watchers was a pretty tense book, but the movie missed the mark completely. And Phantoms, I liked the movie but the book was scarier. I was hoping they'd make Twilight Eyes, Midnight, or Cold Fire into movies and do a good job. Those are pretty good stories.

The Mothman
08-03-2006, 02:13 PM
fuck that, books arent scary.

The STE
08-03-2006, 03:00 PM
novels and movies are different mediums and are usually completely incomparable

azathoth777
08-03-2006, 04:24 PM
More often then not I like the book better. Sometimes imagination is scarier then FX.

novakru
08-03-2006, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by razoreater
Are there any horror works that you feel are better as novels than as movies. I can tell you that I believe all of Clive Barker's works are much more disturbing as written works.

Has 'Thief of Always' been turned into a movie yet?
I heard it was in production a few years back as an animated film-did I miss it?
Anyway,I think Thief would maybe give his 'book better than a movie' track record a run for it's money.

Miss Olivia
08-03-2006, 06:16 PM
I agree with you. That's one of my all time favorite books, and it would be great to see it turned into a movie that does it justice. Especially considering it's like a dark fairy tale.
That would be great.

Elvis_Christ
08-03-2006, 09:36 PM
Pet Sematary, Christine, Misery and Carrie were easily as good as the books. Kubrick's version of the Shining is WAY better than King's book.

Bee-otch
08-03-2006, 10:38 PM
With King... definitely the novels.

BloodRedFlower
08-04-2006, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by Elvis_Christ
Pet Sematary, Christine, Misery and Carrie were easily as good as the books. Kubrick's version of the Shining is WAY better than King's book.

About Misery, that I both read and saw: it was a fair adaptation, but the book was still better, in my opinion. The pain that the guy goes through is really well explained to you in the book, we can barely feel what he's feeling and suffer along with him! And that didn't happen to me when I saw the movie.

I gotta read the Shining then, it's hard for me to believe that a movie is better than the novel in King's case, but I'll keep an open mind about it. :)