PDA

View Full Version : Batman: The Dark Knight

Prelude95Si
08-01-2006, 09:32 AM
Batman Sequel Title & Casting Confirmed!
Source: Warner Bros. Pictures July 31, 2006

As a follow up to last year's blockbuster Batman Begins, Christopher Nolan is set to direct Warner Bros. Pictures' The Dark Knight, written by Jonathan Nolan, based on a story by Christopher Nolan and David Goyer. The film will be produced by Emma Thomas, Charles Roven and Christopher Nolan. Additionally, Christian Bale will resume his role as Bruce Wayne and Academy Award nominee Heath Ledger has been cast as The Joker. The announcements were made today by Jeff Robinov, President of Production, Warner Bros. Pictures.

Christopher Nolan revamped the Batman franchise in 2005 with the immensely successful Batman Begins, starring Christian Bale in the title role, which chronicled the early years of the superhero. Nolan first garnered attention from critics and fans in 2000 with the groundbreaking drama "Memento," which he wrote and directed. He went on to direct the thriller "Insomnia," starring Al Pacino and Robin Williams, and recently wrapped production on "The Prestige," with Hugh Jackman and Bale.

Bale was most recently seen in the ensemble cast of Terrence Malick's "The New World." His other credits include "Little Women," "Portrait of a Lady," "Metroland," "American Psycho," "Laurel Canyon" and Steven Spielberg's "Empire of the Sun," which was his first starring role.

Ledger most recently earned Oscar Golden Globe, BAFTA and SAG Award nominations and won the New York Film Critics Circle Award for Best Actor for his portrayal of Ennis Del Mar in the award-winning drama "Brokeback Mountain." His other credits include "Casanova," "Monster's Ball," "Lords of Dogtown," "The Brothers Grimm" and "The Patriot."

"Chris' unique vision is what made 'Batman Begins' such an outstanding film and we could not imagine anyone else at the helm of 'The Dark Knight,'" said Robinov. "We also can't wait to see two such formidable actors as Christian and Heath face off with each other as Batman and The Joker."

"I'm excited to continue the story we started with 'Batman Begins,'" added Nolan. "Our challenge in casting The Joker was to find an actor who is not just extraordinarily talented but fearless. Watching Heath Ledger's interpretation of this iconic character taking on Christian Bale's Batman is going to be incredible."

Production is set to begin on The Dark Knight in early 2007.

urgeok
08-01-2006, 10:44 AM
no mention of michael caine as alfred ?

i thought he gave the movie additional depth

Miss Olivia
08-01-2006, 12:27 PM
Heath Ledger as the Joker.
I don't know how I feel about that.

AUSTIN316426808
08-01-2006, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by urgeok
no mention of michael caine as alfred ?

i thought he gave the movie additional depth

Caine, Freeman and Oldman have long been announced.

AUSTIN316426808
08-01-2006, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Miss Olivia

Although I thought Paul Bettany was a great choice when he was rumored, I don't have any problem at all with Ledger taking the role. Question is(for me anyway), was his performance in Brokeback Mountain... Mean Streets(First great film of many in Martin Scosese's career.)...or The Sixth Sense(The first and only great film of Shyamalan's that he's yet to live up to.)

Miss Olivia
08-01-2006, 02:59 PM
It's just hard to picture anybody except for Jack Nicholson as the Joker. He OWNED that role. Heath is going to have some mighty big shoes to fill.
We'll see.

AUSTIN316426808
08-01-2006, 03:17 PM
That's true, I definately have my doubts as far as him being as good as Jack but I think he'll do just fine.

Now I wanna know who's playing Harvey Dent.

The STE
08-01-2006, 03:28 PM
what is this "Jack Nicholson as the Joker" performance everybody's talking about? I haven't seen it. I saw this movie where Jack Nicholson played Jack Nicholson With Green Hair And Makeup, but I don't recall him ever playing the Joker....

AUSTIN316426808
08-01-2006, 03:37 PM
I guess you've gotta point, that Joker wasn't all that maniacal. I do think it was a good performance though.

The STE
08-01-2006, 03:39 PM
oh, I never said it wasn't good. Nicholson's put in some good performances as himself. I'm just saying that it's hardly the definitive Joker performance, or even a Joker performance at all.

AUSTIN316426808
08-01-2006, 03:42 PM
Whadda ya think about Ledger? And you know anything about who's playing Dent?

The STE
08-01-2006, 04:10 PM
I stick by my belief that Nick Stahl is the best choice for the new Joker. But Ledger is a decent enough choice, and I have faith in Nolan's casting anyways.

Miss Olivia
08-01-2006, 09:01 PM
Everybody puts their own stamp on the roles they play. I refuse to believe for one minute that Jack Nicholson tools around Hollywood with a 10,000 watt joy buzzer in his palm and a four foot pistol down his pants.
Although I'm sure he'd like everybody to believe that.

The_Return
08-01-2006, 09:04 PM
I can definatly see Ledger doing a good job, but he doesnt have the build for the part at all.

Then again, neither does Jack Nicholson and he did a great job...

Miss Olivia
08-01-2006, 09:15 PM
You know, Cesar Romero was awesome as the Joker too. He didn't have the impact of Jack Nicholson, but as far as acting the part, he was great. I'm gonna have to get the OG Batman movie.

The STE
08-01-2006, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by The_Return
I can definatly see Ledger doing a good job, but he doesnt have the build for the part at all.

Then again, neither does Jack Nicholson and he did a great job...

the build? Joker is tall and skinny

roshiq
08-02-2006, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by Miss Olivia

.http://www.comicbookmovie.com/images/news/batman-begins/batman080106.jpg

hummm....I think..it was a quite tough choice for Nolan.:rolleyes:

The_Return
08-02-2006, 06:14 AM
Originally posted by The STE
the build? Joker is tall and skinny

Yep, and Heath Ledger isnt.

But like I said, neither was Jack Nicholson and he did great...so you never know.

Prelude95Si
08-02-2006, 07:35 AM
Everyone was conserened about Topher doing Venom and I think he is going to do a good job.

So I say give this guy a chance, I mean the producers were smart enough to start the Batman series over, I don't think they will let us down by making a mistake with the most well known villain in comics.

urgeok
08-02-2006, 08:21 AM
Ledger has a big weird wide mouth that would lend itself to the look of the joker perfectly

The STE
08-02-2006, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by The_Return
Yep, and Heath Ledger isnt.

But like I said, neither was Jack Nicholson and he did great...so you never know.

he's taller than Bale, and they made Hugh Jackman look shorter than he is, so people can be made to look taller. And as for being skinny:
http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/paramount_classics/the_machinist/christian_bale/machinist2.jpg
That was the movie Bale did right before filming Batman Begins. I think Ledger can slim up a bit for the movie

Vodstok
08-02-2006, 08:43 AM
Someone was going to do this anyway, so...

Broke back Batman.

Ledger is the joker and Jake Gyllenhal is a "Converted" edward nigma, the "Diddler".

"Jack... Why can't I quit you?!"

slasherman
08-02-2006, 02:16 PM
remember this thread ...:p ...all guessed wrong.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d54/slasherman1971/brody-joker.jpg

The_Return
08-02-2006, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by The STE
he's taller than Bale, and they made Hugh Jackman look shorter than he is, so people can be made to look taller. And as for being skinny:
http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/paramount_classics/the_machinist/christian_bale/machinist2.jpg
That was the movie Bale did right before filming Batman Begins. I think Ledger can slim up a bit for the movie

I suppose you're right. He just never looks very tall in anything Ive seen him in (Brokeback, Brothers Grimm).

BTW, The Machinist is one of my favourite films.

CHRIS24
08-02-2006, 05:37 PM
Bale is such a great actor im glad to see him as batman but alot of people i know didnt like batman begins and they say ah it was to long I say ya because they told batmans orgin which added strength to the movie. As for ledger i hope they get him to look like a fucking crazy maniac jocker not some cartoon bullshit. I also heard that there is two more villains to the story. Ryan phillipe si in the movie but they have plans for him to be harvey dent Aka two face and the penguin suppose to be in this?

The_Return
08-02-2006, 08:36 PM
I was just thinking, you know who'd be a fantastic Joker if he wasnt already in the movie?

Gary Oldman! Perhaps he's a bit old for whhat they're going for, but I still think he could be great.

Oh well, he'll make a good Commisioner Gordon.

mothermold
08-03-2006, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by slasherman
remember this thread ...:p ...all guessed wrong.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d54/slasherman1971/brody-joker.jpg

I still think he would've made a badass Joker.:o

ItsAlive75
08-03-2006, 12:48 AM
If they picked Ledger, that means he must've impressed them in casting. So what I wanna know is, just how good is Ledger's laugh? He must have one kick-ass Joker laugh if they cast him... so I'm pretty fuckin' stoked.

AUSTIN316426808
08-03-2006, 01:09 AM
Who do you guys think would be a good choice for Harvey Dent?

Josh Lucas or Joaquin Phoenix are the first to pop into my head.

mothermold
08-03-2006, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by ItsAlive75
If they picked Ledger, that means he must've impressed them in casting. So what I wanna know is, just how good is Ledger's laugh? He must have one kick-ass Joker laugh if they cast him... so I'm pretty fuckin' stoked.

No way in hell...they went for name recognition,plain and simple...Ledger is a chump choice and will remain as such,the casting director was simply high......happens all the time.Ledger's got no balls,no laugh and no motive.....fuck 'em.

mothermold
08-03-2006, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by AUSTIN316426808
Who do you guys think would be a good choice for Harvey Dent?

Josh Lucas or Joaquin Phoenix are the first to pop into my head.

Peter Sarsgaard

AUSTIN316426808
08-03-2006, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by mothermold
Ledger's got no balls,no laugh and no motive.....fuck 'em.

Well fuck, why do ya hate Ledger so much?

The_Return
08-03-2006, 08:48 AM
Just stumbled across a damn cool fan-made poster with Ledger photoshopped as the Joker:

http://i5.tinypic.com/21njgus.jpg

Looks awesome as far as Im concerned.

Miss Olivia
08-03-2006, 10:49 AM
That's awesome.

Arioch
08-06-2006, 08:22 PM
what is this "Jack Nicholson as the Joker" performance everybody's talking about? I haven't seen it. I saw this movie where Jack Nicholson played Jack Nicholson With Green Hair And Makeup, but I don't recall him ever playing the Joker.

LMAO that was some good shit.....

this wouldve been the best movie of all time had they stuck with the TWO villians from begins that they left open and uncought FOR a sequal......now this one is gonna clash with the AMAZING tim burton flick and i wont have my FOUR badass batman movies.....a complete series.....

Im ignoring the unspeakable abominations after Returns.....

azathoth777
08-06-2006, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by Arioch

Im ignoring the unspeakable abominations after Returns.....

Oh come on, even Batman deserves nipples....

Arioch
08-06-2006, 11:40 PM
lol....