PDA

View Full Version : Don't Let Your Babies Swallow Magnets...Duh

bloodrayne
07-28-2006, 06:22 PM
Boy Has Part Of Bowels Removed After Swallowing Magnets

Bloomington, Indiana -- The parents of a 3-year-old boy who had part of his intestine removed after he swallowed several magnetic toys want the building set removed from store shelves.

Macguire Butterfield earlier this year swallowed three magnets contained in a Magnetix building block set. They became lodged inside his small intestine, but laxatives helped the child pass the toys.

Within a few weeks, however, the boy developed fevers, more stomach aches and vomiting. Doctors said the magnets were attracted to each other while inside the boy's body and caused damage.

"The magnets lodged in different loops of the bowel, and their attraction to one another squeezed parts of his bowel together _ cutting off blood flow to a portion of the bowel and killing it," said Lori Butterfield, the child's mother.

The bowel twisting caused an infection that nearly killed him, she said.

Butterfield and her husband, Mike, have filed a complaint against the toy's New Jersey-based distributor, RoseArt Industries.

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission said it has collected reports of 34 incidents involving the toy, including the death of a 20-month-old child who swallowed magnets from the toy.

RoseArt Industries instituted a voluntary recall and replacement program for about 3.8 million of the toys, and says consumers can return the sets to the company for a free replacement product suitable for children younger than 6. The building sets had been marketed to children 3 and older.

Vic Bertrand, chief operating officer for RoseArt's parent company, said in a statement that Magnetix products will remain on store shelves targeted for children of an appropriate age.

"We were deeply saddened to learn of reports of children being harmed by ingesting small parts," Bertrand said. "As the father of four children and as a member of the family that helped build this business, I am personally committed to safe and creative play experiences for children who use our products."

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/wire/newjersey/ny-bc-nj--magnetsswallowed0728jul28,0,3853040.story?coll=ny-region-apnewjersey

bloodrayne
07-28-2006, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by bloodrayne
The building sets had been marketed to children 3 and older.Once again...Let's deny the entire population access to a product, because a few cannot/will not read warning labels/instructions...And/or do not give a shit about/will not supervise their kids...:rolleyes:

Yeah...It's the same old story, no matter how ya wanna say it...

Why not tell the idiots who allowed their UNDER 3 year-old babies to swallow these things, that THEY are no longer allowed to produce children...Rather than tell these companies that they can no longer produce products because there are morons out there that will allow their children to be hurt (or KILLED) by them?

Just another fine example of the failure to accept or perform any parental responsibility...

Wake up dumbasses...Stupidity has become an epidemic...and it's killing children

This shit just pisses me off

Fucking disgusting

*OH...And...Although one of the kids in this story WAS 3 years-old....Do the parents not know that ANY toddler has to be supervised with ANYTHING that is small enough to fit down their throats?....I mean FUCK, the president nearly DIED choking on a PRETZEL for fuck's sake!...Don't these people watch the NEWS?!!!...:D

Hmmm...I wonder why kitchen knives haven't been outlawed yet...I also wonder if there is a label on each set of knives that warns 'Not Suitable for children" ?...Maybe there should be, so that the next person that allows their 5 year-old to cut himself, won't blame the people who made the knives...:rolleyes:

stygianwitch
07-29-2006, 12:04 PM
Why not tell the idiots who allowed their UNDER 3 year-old babies to swallow these things, that THEY are no longer allowed to produce children...

FWIW, you've got my vote, these people should be charged with criminal negligence IMO, they aren't fit to be called 'parents'

Miss Olivia
07-29-2006, 03:27 PM
That kid's name is Macguire Butterfield? Wow.
That's the dumbest thing I've heard in a long time. Just goes to show, you can sue for any stupid thing under the sun, and be taken seriously.