PDA

View Full Version : What is "THE DESCENT" about

spawn69
07-15-2006, 08:07 PM
it looks awsome but id really like to know what its about so if anyone knows, reply

Prelude95Si
07-15-2006, 10:01 PM
One year after a tragic accident, six girlfriends meet in a remote part of the Appalachians for their annual caving trip. Deep below the surface of the earth, disaster strikes when a rock falls and blocks their route back to the surface. The girls soon learn that Juno, the thrill-seeking leader of the expedition, has brought them to an unexplored cave and that as a result no knows where they are to come rescue them. The group splinters and each push on, praying for another exit. But there is something else lurking under the earth - a race of monstrous humanoid creatures that are adapted perfectly to life in the dark. As the friends realize they are now prey, they are forced to unleash their most primal instincts in an all-out war against an unspeakable horror - one that attacks without warning, again and again and again.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looks good, I will see it b/c its reminds me of the original Alien with the dark clostrophobic environment.

makemebad
07-15-2006, 10:11 PM
can we say The Cave?

mothermold
07-15-2006, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by makemebad
can we say The Cave?

The Descent blows The Cave out of the water IMO.

makemebad
07-16-2006, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by mothermold

I hope so

Sloan
07-16-2006, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by mothermold

Damn Right.

The Descent Is Awsome, Good Plot, Good Gore,Some Jumpy Moments And Finding Yourself In The Kinda Situation They Do Would Be Terrifying.........

Put It This Way I Doubt I'll Ever Go 'Caving'

spawn69
07-16-2006, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Prelude95Si
One year after a tragic accident, six girlfriends meet in a remote part of the Appalachians for their annual caving trip. Deep below the surface of the earth, disaster strikes when a rock falls and blocks their route back to the surface. The girls soon learn that Juno, the thrill-seeking leader of the expedition, has brought them to an unexplored cave and that as a result no knows where they are to come rescue them. The group splinters and each push on, praying for another exit. But there is something else lurking under the earth - a race of monstrous humanoid creatures that are adapted perfectly to life in the dark. As the friends realize they are now prey, they are forced to unleash their most primal instincts in an all-out war against an unspeakable horror - one that attacks without warning, again and again and again.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looks good, I will see it b/c its reminds me of the original Alien with the dark clostrophobic environment.

thank you very much it helps me out alot

The_Return
07-16-2006, 06:13 PM
I love how so few people realise that this has been out for a long while already...

Korpse
07-16-2006, 07:50 PM
I love how so few people realise that this has been out for a long while already...
Word.

It's a great film, rewatched it on Friday with a mate. Kept looking over when I knew a scare was coming... gotta love watching people as they jump.

Anyway, it's pretty good. I have this thing where I call it the "British" The Cave as to be honest, it's basically the story/happenings.

The creatures being a perfect cross between Golem and Creep pissed me off.

7/10

horroraddict19
07-26-2006, 09:10 AM
I watched it in a school lesson and it was funny when...

SPOILER

...you first see the creature on the video camera

SPOILER END

everyone in the class jumped, unfortunately we didn't get to see the last 10mins, so I'm waiting until I get the DVD to see who if any make it out.

However from what I saw of the film, It was excellent, and for a British Horror film I'm very proud of it (its good to see some very good films come out from where I live :))

> Chris

Vodstok
07-26-2006, 09:23 AM
I knwo it's not new, its just new in the US. Kinda like 28 Days Later had been out for forever before it came here. and Shaun of the dead.

The only words i needed to see to get me to want to see this were "Director: Neil Marshall"

he is one o fmy Gods. Dog Soldiers is one of my all time "turn off your brain and enjoy" movies.

PR3SSUR3
07-26-2006, 03:34 PM
Shaun of the Dead, Dog Soldiers and The Descent are three very overrated (ag!) movies.

The Neil Marshall films are in turn too self-aware and hyper kinetic to be worth more than a passing glance.

It's understandable why they are talked about, however - in the USA any English-speaking non-American horror movie is quite the novelty, and over here we just seem grateful for anything homegrown... tacky and unimpressive or not.

stacilayne
07-26-2006, 04:27 PM
You might want to read the review on Horror.com to find out what it's about... but the less you know going in, the better!

I did an interview with Neil Marshall for Horror.com at Comic-Con last weekend, so be sure and look for that when it's posted. He is a very interesting man.

Staci

crazy raplh
07-26-2006, 08:04 PM
the pictures look good i think

a mccuaig
07-26-2006, 08:51 PM
yea, it looks pretty groovy. I hope it isn't like the cave where it's so damn dark i couldn't see a damn thing!

roshiq
07-26-2006, 10:24 PM
to some extent......it's more or like The Cave ....:rolleyes:

tarcher80
07-28-2006, 06:14 AM
could we stop comparing the descent to the cave??? the descent was released about six months b/f the cave so if anything we should compare the cave to the descent...

Korpse
07-28-2006, 10:20 AM
Erm... I think they were released at roughly the same time. And regardless the storylines/premis share more than enough for them to be compared...

Korpse
07-28-2006, 10:20 AM

tarcher80
07-28-2006, 10:56 AM
i just didn't like the tone of the comments: the descent - in my opinion a good movie, being accused of biting the cave - in my opinion a shitty movie. i get worked-up, sorry. *pant* *pant*

Miss Olivia
07-28-2006, 01:14 PM
Down, boy.:p

I'm really looking forward to seeing The Descent. The Cave was a HUGE disappointment, so I'm sure I'll be pretty enthusiastic about TD.
Cave=Monster=hope.

novakru
07-28-2006, 09:38 PM
The ad says "the best movie since Alien".
That's a Huge comparsion-wondering if there's any truth to it.

stygianwitch
07-29-2006, 06:45 AM
The Descent is the first movie since Alien to actually scare me, The Cave certainly didn't, cool creatures tho

The_Return
07-29-2006, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by Korpse
Erm... I think they were released at roughly the same time. And regardless the storylines/premis share more than enough for them to be compared...

Descent came out almost 2 months before The Cave.

Sloan
07-30-2006, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by a mccuaig
yea, it looks pretty groovy. I hope it isn't like the cave where it's so damn dark i couldn't see a damn thing!

Em well there in a cave so yes it is dark.

You gotta stop downloading those cinemarips. :p

Originally posted by PR3SSUR3
Shaun of the Dead, Dog Soldiers and The Descent are three very overrated (ag!) movies.

HOW DARE YOU SAY DOG SOLDIERS IS OVERRATED!!!! I AM NOW GONNA HAVE TO FEED YOU YOUR OWN HEART. :eek:

tarcher80
07-31-2006, 05:43 AM
Originally posted by The_Return
Descent came out almost 2 months before The Cave.

thank you... i maybe jumped the gun a little w/ six months, but i knew it came out first.

tarcher80
07-31-2006, 06:01 AM
Originally posted by Sloan
Em well there in a cave so yes it is dark.

You gotta stop downloading those cinemarips. :p

HOW DARE YOU SAY DOG SOLDIERS IS OVERRATED!!!! I AM NOW GONNA HAVE TO FEED YOU YOUR OWN HEART. :eek:

first, i second sloan's comment. 2nd, i take pr3ssur3's comment about neil marshall films being overrated - a word that is kicked around too much on this site (didn't we have a thread about the misuse of this word?), as an insult. american audiences (the conscious ones) do not treat foreign cinema as gold just b/c of the accents. and just b/c actors have british accents does not mean they can act. i watch a lot of foreign films and have seen just as much laughable shit from the uk as i do from hollywood. now dog soldiers and shawn of the dead are two respectable films... they're no citizen kane, but the acting is tight, the directing is on point, and the action/horror is effective. i'm sorry i just don't see these movies as "tacky and unimpressive."

a mccuaig
07-31-2006, 07:52 PM
I just hope I get some free mints after the shows over..so if it sucked, at least I got some damn mints.

Jake Helgren
08-01-2006, 11:18 AM
This movie has it all...a hideous evil presence that's as scary as hell, a claustrophobic atmosphere, suspenseful, high-speed chases, buckets o' blood and a cast of beautiful ladies who are not only pretty, but who can also act! Not to mention a wonderful director, a tight score and a brilliant script that (for a horror movie) truly pays the utmost attention to the journey of the heroine and offers up the supporting characters as three dimensional characters as well, and ones who we generate a sympathy for through the duration of the film. I can't stop giving Marshall props for what a great job he's done!