PDA

View Full Version : Inmate Dies After Eating Tobacco

bloodrayne
07-10-2006, 10:21 PM
Inmate Dies After Eating Two Bags Of Contraband

He ingested smuggled tobacco

New York - An inmate at the Erie County Correctional Facility in Alden who once survived being shot in the back died Sunday morning after he allegedly swallowed two bags of suspected contraband tobacco, according to a statement from the sheriff's office.

The inmate was identified as Marlon Clay, 35, who had been incarcerated at the Alden prison since September.

Sheriff's officials said that corrections officers spotted a woman, Lisa A. Howard, slip Clay the bags of what authorities believed was tobacco at 11:50 a.m. in the visiting room at the Alden correctional facility.

Before the guards could stop him, Clay allegedly swallowed both bags.

Medical staff rushed to treat Clay, who was then taken by ambulance to St. Joseph Hospital in Cheektowaga by Rural/Metro Ambulance. He was pronounced dead at the hospital.

Authorities said Sunday that it appeared Clay choked to death. An autopsy is scheduled to take place today. The Alden facility has come under scrutiny recently after another inmate, Ralph "Bucky" Phillips, escaped in April by using a can opener to pry open a kitchen ceiling tile. He remains at large and is a suspect in the June shooting of a state trooper.

Late Sunday, it was unclear what Clay was serving time for when he died.

However, records showed Clay had been in and out of jails and prison for much of his adult life.

Back in 1992, Clay was charged with shooting a suspected gang member, but the charges were dropped after the victim refused to identify Clay as the assailant.

Two years later, Clay was shot in the back in an apparent revenge attack. The brother of the victim in the 1992 incident was later convicted of shooting Clay in a drive-by.

In 2002, he was arrested after allegedly carjacking a woman's vehicle on Genesee Street while the woman's two children were still inside. The children were unharmed in the incident.

He also had been convicted on numerous City Court and County Court charges over the years, including arson, robbery and criminal possession of a weapon.

Howard was charged with promoting prison contraband and was held at the Erie County Holding Center pending an arraignment in the Town of Alden Court.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20060710/1064692.asp

AUSTIN316426808
07-11-2006, 12:21 AM
Why would he try to smuggle in something that's perfectly legal?

bloodrayne
07-11-2006, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by AUSTIN316426808
Why would he try to smuggle in something that's perfectly legal? Umm...I dunno...Maybe they're not allowed to smoke in New York prisons...Voltaire told us you're not allowed to smoke ANYWHERE in public in New York anymore...

That's my best guess

And...If I ran a prison, they'd be lucky if I let them BREATHE, much less smoke...

No perks in MY prison...And, they'd be PAYING for that air, too...

yourlastmistake
07-11-2006, 02:45 AM
A fitting death for a career criminal I say.