PDA

View Full Version : Iron Man

Prelude95Si
05-25-2006, 05:07 PM
Jon Favreau on Iron Man
Source: MTV May 24, 2006

MTV talked to Iron Man director Jon Favreau, who gave some interesting quotes. Here are a few of them about the movie:

"It's the first movie Marvel is self-financing," he said of a new deal that frees the makers of the "Spider-Man" and "X-Men" movies from studio control. "We're set to come out in the summer of '08, and we'll start shooting in January."

"We're gonna have it take place in the present day, but there will be an origin story that has the old, gray Iron Man suit; eventually it will progress into more of the modern look," Favreau said. "That's the fun of doing the first one."

"The alcoholism doesn't come into play until later on in the story of Iron Man," he said. "[The comic] started off in the '60s, where it was about him as a successful manufacturer who developed this suit. Then, later, it spins off into that story about him fighting against himself. I think we're going to lay the groundwork for it, but the first one's going to explore him taking on this alter ego of Iron Man, and developing the suit, and what happens politically within the Stark Corporation."

Mentioning an eventual "Iron Man 2," Favreau said that actor playing Tony Stark for his franchise is unlikely to be a major star (Tom Cruise was briefly attached to the role years ago). Instead, the director hopes to announce his discovery of a relative unknown from the Brandon Routh ("Superman Returns") mold later this year.

ItsAlive75
05-25-2006, 05:15 PM
I never really liked Iron Man, wasn't really familiar with the storyline... but I'm excited. Directors/writers seem to be getting to point of comic book movies, that they're character driven before anything else. The action is a staple in every one of em, but if you don't set up the background of the guy behind the mask it's pointless dribble. That's why the Spider Man, X-Men and latest Batman frachises have succeeded.

Miss Olivia
05-25-2006, 10:46 PM
DEEERNEEER....DEERNEEER....I AM IRON MAN!!!!....DUN DUN DUHNUNUH DUHNUDUNUDUNUHDUHN DUHN NAN NAN....

mothermold
05-26-2006, 12:41 AM
How in the hell did Jon Favreau get to direct this picture?Iron Man was always an interesting character IMO,but this effects heavy(no doubt)feature may be out of his reach.

I just hope he's up to the challenge,this isn't Elf after all.:p

urgeok
05-26-2006, 06:07 AM
i think he can step outside the comedy box ..

he directed Zathura and showed that he can do action and suspense as well .. (as much as he coulkd in a kids film)

a good director can excel in any genre.. he's a good director.

The_Return
05-26-2006, 07:16 PM
Iron Man is and has always been one of my favourites, Im pumped for this:D

Even though they want an unknown, dont you think Jim Caveizal would be perfect for the part?

mothermold
05-28-2006, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by urgeok
i think he can step outside the comedy box ..

he directed Zathura and showed that he can do action and suspense as well .. (as much as he coulkd in a kids film)

a good director can excel in any genre.. he's a good director.

I'll have to check that(Zathura)out then.

AUSTIN316426808
05-28-2006, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by The_Return

Even though they want an unknown, dont you think Jim Caveizal would be perfect for the part?

Oded Fehr(you know the guy from The Mummy who was the leader of the gypsyish desert group and kept talking about how the curse would bring about destruction of biblical proportion.) has been momentarily attached to it.

The_Return
05-29-2006, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by AUSTIN316426808
Oded Fehr(you know the guy from The Mummy who was the leader of the gypsyish desert group and kept talking about how the curse would bring about destruction of biblical proportion.) has been momentarily attached to it.

I can see him doing a decent job, he wasnt bad in The Mummy.

Prelude95Si
06-21-2006, 02:20 PM
Iron Man Update From Jon Favreau
Source: Advanced Dark June 20, 2006

Scooper 'Advanced Dark' asked Iron Man director Jon Favreau a question on his Blog and got an interesting response:

We've got two(2!) sets of writers typing away on scenes and outlines. We've got a room full of storyboard illustrators and concept artists. The story has been fully broken. The villian has been selected and the train has left the station. I expect a rough first draft in the next several weeks, though the sequences are being hammered out visually as we speak. I wont reveal any further details on the plot or villians at this time. Marvel likes to trickle this type of info out slowly, as you can understand, and we are a full two years away from release. I did, however, convince them to share some interesting stuff some time in, oh, I don't know, July?

At Comic-Con perhaps? We shall see...

Prelude95Si
06-21-2006, 02:20 PM
Iron Man Targeted for May, 2008
Source: Advanced Dark June 21, 2006

Scooper 'Advanced Dark' tells Superhero Hype! that Iron Man director Jon Favreau has dropped another big one on his official Blog for the movie...

He says the movie is targeted for a May, 2008 release.

The_Return
06-21-2006, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by Prelude95Si
Iron Man Update From Jon Favreau
Source: Advanced Dark June 20, 2006

Scooper 'Advanced Dark' asked Iron Man director Jon Favreau a question on his Blog and got an interesting response:

We've got two(2!) sets of writers typing away on scenes and outlines. We've got a room full of storyboard illustrators and concept artists. The story has been fully broken. The villian has been selected and the train has left the station. I expect a rough first draft in the next several weeks, though the sequences are being hammered out visually as we speak. I wont reveal any further details on the plot or villians at this time. Marvel likes to trickle this type of info out slowly, as you can understand, and we are a full two years away from release. I did, however, convince them to share some interesting stuff some time in, oh, I don't know, July?

At Comic-Con perhaps? We shall see...

This is the kind of news that makes me feel like dancing around the room:D

Prelude95Si
07-15-2006, 09:53 PM
Iron Man Movie Poster at Comic-Con
Source: Retroman July 14, 2006

Marvel reports that you'll get the first glimpse at an Iron Man movie poster at Comic-Con next week:

And on Saturday don't miss out on the opportunity to get your own exclusive Iron Man movie poster signed by upcoming Iron Man director Jon Favreau and screenplay character designer & Iron Man comic book cover artist Adi Granov!

Prelude95Si
07-23-2006, 01:05 PM
Iron Man Villain Confirmed!!
Source: Blake Wright July 22, 2006

Iron Man director Jon Favreau confirmed at the San Diego Comic-Con on Saturday that the villain in the movie will be fan-favorite Mandarin!

The Mandarin is one of the world's greatest scientific geniuses who is seeking world domination. Although The Mandarin has no superhuman powers, he is a superb athlete with tremendous skill in the various martial arts. For weapons, he uses ten rings he wears on his fingers that respond to his mental commands.

Marvel Studios has set a May 2, 2008 release date for Iron Man. Paramount Pictures will distribute the film.
---------------------------------------------------

This was a no brainer.

Prelude95Si
07-24-2006, 07:34 AM
The Armor

http://forum.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=messageboard.viewThread&entryID=20306068&groupID=102795074&adTopicID=12&Mytoken=128BFACF-14D3-F641-51D387A800F34E4A34328910

slasherman
07-24-2006, 07:38 AM
..never read anything of Ironman..but I like superhero movies so I giving it a chance...have somebody read the comic ? what can you compare it with ? Superman, Phantom, Spiderman, Hulk.... ?

novakru
07-24-2006, 11:20 AM
I'll see it simply because I have to see any comicbook creation on screen.
So far the track record is sadly grim.

(Not SinCity-that one is in a class by itself)

Oh and... I saw Zathura with my kids thinking it was going to be yet another kid movie to catch up on some sleep ,only to discover an enjoyable flick....for the people that were interested in seeing it,that was my take on it.

The_Return
07-24-2006, 12:20 PM
The Armor

http://forum.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=messageboard.viewThread&entryID=20306068&groupID=102795074&adTopicID=12&Mytoken=128BFACF-14D3-F641-51D387A800F34E4A34328910

Same pic, better quality:

http://superherohype.com/gallery/Iron_Man/The_Movie/Posters/ironmanteaser.jpg

*slobber*

Prelude95Si
07-24-2006, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by slasherman
..never read anything of Ironman..but I like superhero movies so I giving it a chance...have somebody read the comic ? what can you compare it with ? Superman, Phantom, Spiderman, Hulk.... ?

For starters Iron Man exists in the same universe as Spider-Man, Hulk, X-Men, Daredevil, and the Fantastic Four. So that gives you a starting point.

Here is a nice little bio on Iron Man.
http://www.marveldirectory.com/individuals/i/ironman.htm

Iron Man is a great hero with terrible villains, the Mandarin who controls 10 mystic rings that each have their own power, Fin Fang Foom who is a giant dragon, and then you have a list of armor/robot villains like Crimson Dynamo, Ultimo, and Titanium Man.

But for me its going to be great to see the armored avenger on the screen!

slasherman
07-24-2006, 10:57 PM

Iron Man is a great hero with terrible villains, the Mandarin who controls 10 mystic rings that each have their own power, Fin Fang Foom who is a giant dragon, and then you have a list of armor/robot villains like Crimson Dynamo, Ultimo, and Titanium Man.

thanks for the information...those villian sounds almost supernaturale ..what I like about those Spiderman villians is that they are almost "normal" people ...

Prelude95Si
08-01-2006, 09:26 AM
More info about the plot:

http://www.superherohype.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9705975&postcount=261

The_Return
08-01-2006, 01:40 PM
Here's some good reading for Slasherman, or anyone else that may be interested in knowing more about Iron Man's history:

http://www.moviepoopshoot.com/comics101/22.html

I stumbled across it while looking for a decent picture of the Mandarin (which I still havent found, by the way). Very complete and detailed history of Tony Stark and his alter ego.

Prelude95Si
08-02-2006, 07:39 AM
Here's some good reading for Slasherman, or anyone else that may be interested in knowing more about Iron Man's history:

http://www.moviepoopshoot.com/comics101/22.html

I stumbled across it while looking for a decent picture of the Mandarin (which I still havent found, by the way). Very complete and detailed history of Tony Stark and his alter ego.

I think its really early to see a picture of Mandarin, the poster of the armor was reported as a rough idea and it will probably not be the final design.

The_Return
08-02-2006, 03:45 PM
I think its really early to see a picture of Mandarin, the poster of the armor was reported as a rough idea and it will probably not be the final design.

No no no, I didnt mean a pic from the movie....Im not really familliar with how he looked in the comics, I was just looking for any ol' pic of him.

CHRIS24
08-02-2006, 05:42 PM
I have seen the future and its a piece of garbage already just like FF.

Prelude95Si
08-02-2006, 06:26 PM
No no no, I didnt mean a pic from the movie....Im not really familliar with how he looked in the comics, I was just looking for any ol' pic of him.

My bad, check this out.

http://www.marveldirectory.com/individuals/m/mandarin.htm

Or do an image search on Yahoo! or Google for Mandarin Iron Man.

Prelude95Si
09-30-2006, 09:29 PM
Robert Downey Jr. is Iron Man!
Source: Marvel Entertainment, Inc. September 29, 2006

Academy Award® Nominee Robert Downey Jr. will take on the role of one of Marvel's greatest Super Heroes, signing on as the title character for Marvel Studios' highly-anticipated Iron Man. This project, the first feature film to be produced independently by Marvel Entertainment, will launch into theaters May 2, 2008. The film is being directed by Jon Favreau and will be distributed by Paramount Pictures.

Downey is widely recognized as one of Hollywood's most versatile actors. Nominated for an Oscar® for his extraordinary portrayal of Charlie Chaplin in "Chaplin," Downey has been featured in more than 50 films. His upcoming credits include "Fur" (co-starring Nicole Kidman), "A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints," and the David Fincher film "Zodiac." He has also recently been seen in such films as: "A Scanner Darkly," "The Shaggy Dog," "Good Night, And Good Luck.," "Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang," "Gothika," "The Singing Detective" and "Wonder Boys."

Based upon Marvel's iconic Super Hero, Iron Man tells the story of Tony Stark, a billionaire industrialist and genius inventor who is kidnapped and forced to build a devastating weapon. Instead, using his intelligence and ingenuity, Tony builds a high-tech suit of armor and escapes captivity. Upon his return to America, Tony must come to terms with his past. When he uncovers a nefarious plot with global implications, he dons his powerful armor and vows to protect the world as Iron Man.

"Robert Downey Jr. is one of the most talented and acclaimed actors of this generation. His versatility sets him apart and makes him an ideal fit to play such a complex character as Iron Man. We could not think of another actor better suited to bring one of Marvel's crown jewels to the big screen and be the centerpiece of our first independently produced feature," said Kevin Feige, President of Production, Marvel Studios.

Marvel Studios is currently casting all supporting roles. Filming is slated to begin in Los Angeles in February 2007.

Iron Man will be produced by Feige and Avi Arad. Executive Producers are Michael Helfant, Ari Arad, Favreau, Louis D'Esposito and Peter Billingsley. Downey is represented by CAA.

The_Return
10-01-2006, 07:13 AM
I dont know what I think of that casting...

He's a solid enough actor, but I just cant see him as Stark/Iron Man.

Lets hope he can pull it off...

Another thing: Anyone else afraid that they might take the Hulk-style idea for a villain? Ive been looking through some of the major villains, and alot of them are pretty similar. Wouldnt be too hard for the writers to combine a few, ala the Hulk movie....uh-oh.

Phalanx
10-01-2006, 08:29 AM
Iron-Man, currently one of the most despicable characters in the marvel comics continuity...he seems to have turned into a really horrible person, but I'm sure that by some plot twist in the civil war thing, he'll do something to redeem himself...however, those events are taking place now, the movie will be focussing towards the beggining of his career, no?

From what I understand, you'll see various forms of the armour (there's been something over 30 throughout the history of the character in comics/cartoons), I doubt you'll see them all, but there will definately be an evolution...the one pictured may or may not the the "final" one.

If you wanna see a cool take on Iron-Man, check out the animated movie "Ultimate Avengers", which is all around good viewing IMO...

The_Return
10-01-2006, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Phalanx
Iron-Man, currently one of the most despicable characters in the marvel comics continuity...he seems to have turned into a really horrible person, but I'm sure that by some plot twist in the civil war thing, he'll do something to redeem himself...however, those events are taking place now, the movie will be focussing towards the beggining of his career, no?

From what I understand, you'll see various forms of the armour (there's been something over 30 throughout the history of the character in comics/cartoons), I doubt you'll see them all, but there will definately be an evolution...the one pictured may or may not the the "final" one.

If you wanna see a cool take on Iron-Man, check out the animated movie "Ultimate Avengers", which is all around good viewing IMO...

That's a surprisingly hard movie to find. The sequel is everywhere, but Ive looked for the first one at Future Shop, Zellers and Blockbuster, all to no avail.

Im still keeping an eye out though.

Phalanx
10-01-2006, 12:29 PM
Ebay...lotsa people have it...I haven't seen the sequel yet, but the first is pretty good. The best hulk you'll have ever seen in a "movie".

Prelude95Si
10-01-2006, 02:05 PM
That's a surprisingly hard movie to find. The sequel is everywhere, but Ive looked for the first one at Future Shop, Zellers and Blockbuster, all to no avail.

Im still keeping an eye out though.

You might check Circuit City (if there is one still around) b/c I saw in their circular that its on sale for $9.99.
Or Best Buy, the one by my house has like an over stock on it.

The_Return
10-01-2006, 02:15 PM
You might check Circuit City (if there is one still around) b/c I saw in their circular that its on sale for $9.99.
Or Best Buy, the one by my house has like an over stock on it.

Im in Canada, we dont have either of those. Future Shop is the equivilent.

As for Ebay...I try to avoid it whenever possible. Im sure I'll find a copy somewhere around here.

Prelude95Si
11-28-2006, 09:42 AM
http://www.marvel.com/news/moviestories.756

Trailer for the new Animated DVD movie.

PhilnEdee
11-29-2006, 12:51 PM
Im in Canada, we dont have either of those. Future Shop is the equivilent.

As for Ebay...I try to avoid it whenever possible. Im sure I'll find a copy somewhere around here.

BLOCKBUSTER has 1 and 2 side by side here...maybe try BLOCKBUSTER online?

Prelude95Si
12-24-2006, 07:18 AM
Offical web site up. Nothing there yet.

Prelude95Si
01-13-2007, 07:39 AM
Clip from the animated DVD coming out on Jan. 23.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/featuresnews.php?id=5061

Prelude95Si
01-16-2007, 07:07 PM
Iron Man Armor Concept Art?
Source: ScreenRant.com January 16, 2007

ScreenRant.com has posted possible new concept art for the armor in director Jon Favreau's Iron Man, starring Robert Downey Jr. and Terrence Howard. The site also says that Stan Winston Studio is making a real, mechanical version of the armor.

Check it out at the link above! Iron Man is coming to theaters on May 2, 2008.

http://screenrant.com/archives/new-iron-man-movie-armor-conce-562.html

The_Return
01-16-2007, 07:16 PM
Not bad...I think one of the rejected ones he posted beats it though:

http://screenrant.com/images/granov-posing.jpg

Prelude95Si
01-17-2007, 06:34 AM
Gwyneth Paltrow to Star in Iron Man
Source: Variety January 17, 2007

Gwyneth Paltrow will join Robert Downey Jr. and Terrence Howard in Iron Man, the Jon Favreau-directed film that is being financed by Marvel Studios and released by Paramount Pictures on May 2, 2008.

Variety says Paltrow will play Virginia "Pepper" Potts, personal assistant to an industrialist who develops an armored suit to battle bad guys. Production begins in March in Los Angeles.

"These are popcorn films designed for broad audiences, but there are multidimensional characters that have brought us the best luck with actors," Marvel Studios president of production Kevin Feige said.

phantomstranger
01-17-2007, 10:56 AM
Source: Marvel Entertainment, Inc.
January 17, 2007

Marvel Studios announced today that it has signed on Academy Award® winner Gwyneth Paltrow to join the cast of the highly-anticipated summer 2008 event film Iron Man. Paltrow will take on the role of Virginia "Pepper" Potts, personal secretary and confidant to Tony Stark aka Iron Man. The film is slated to hit theaters May 2, 2008.

Paltrow joins a star-studded cast for Marvel Entertainment's first self-financed and produced feature film, which also includes Oscar® nominees Robert Downey Jr. in the title role and Terrence Howard as Jim "Rhodey" Rhodes, Stark's best friend. Jon Favreau is set to direct. This latest move reinforces the continued allure of Marvel's films among Hollywood's most celebrated talent.

Paltrow will portray billionaire industrialist and genius inventor Tony Stark's indispensable personal assistant, Virginia "Pepper" Potts. Pepper is an invaluable resource to Stark Industries, and one of the few people in Tony's life who can go toe-to-toe with him, occasionally acting as his conscience and working to keep his priorities straight as he secretly defends the world as the armored hero known as Iron Man. Below the surface, Tony and Pepper share a deep attraction for one another although neither is willing to admit it.

"Gwyneth is the embodiment of a leading lady. She brings intelligence, poise and an incredible range of talent to this role," said Kevin Feige, President of Production, Marvel Studios. "We could not be more excited about the great chemistry this illustrious cast will bring to 'Iron Man.'"

Paltrow made her film debut in 1991 with Shout, and delivered a breakout performance as Jane Austen's heroine in Emma (1996), which garnered her significant praise and attention as a leading lady. Her role in the critically acclaimed film Shakespeare in Love (1998) catapulted her to stardom and earned her a Golden Globe®, Screen Actors Guild award and Oscar® for Best Actress.

More recently, she starred in the film adaptation of the highly praised stage play Proof (2005), which reunited her with Shakespeare in Love director John Madden and earned her a Golden Globe® nomination for Best Actress. Other film credits include Se7en (1995), Sliding Doors (1998), A Perfect Murder (1998), The Talented Mr. Ripley (1999), The Royal Tenenbaums (2001), Sylvia (2003) and Running with Scissors (2006). She will next be seen in The Good Night with Penélope Cruz, which was directed by her brother Jake Paltrow.

Filming on Iron Man is scheduled to begin in Los Angeles in March 2007. The film will be distributed by Paramount Pictures.

Iron Man will be produced by Avi Arad and Kevin Feige. Executive Producers are Ari Arad, Peter Billingsley, Louis D'Esposito, Jon Favreau and Michael Helfant. Paltrow is represented by CAA and Brillstein Grey.

Prelude95Si
01-17-2007, 06:15 PM
Source: Marvel Entertainment, Inc.
January 17, 2007

Marvel Studios announced today that it has signed on Academy Award® winner Gwyneth Paltrow to join the cast of the highly-anticipated summer 2008 event film Iron Man. Paltrow will take on the role of Virginia "Pepper" Potts, personal secretary and confidant to Tony Stark aka Iron Man. The film is slated to hit theaters May 2, 2008.

Check the post right before yours.

Prelude95Si
02-02-2007, 12:08 PM
Gwyneth Paltrow Talks Iron Man
Source:Advanced Dark February 2, 2007

Gwyneth Paltrow talked to Entertainment Weekly about playing Virginia "Pepper" Potts in director Jon Favreau's Iron Man:

Seems like you're taking on more projects than you have in the past.
Well, I hadn't worked in a long time, I was really committed to being home. Then I finally just agreed to do this movie Iron Man. I reached a place in my life where I thought, "It's okay that I have a passion for something besides my family." I love making films. If I do one thing that makes me fulfilled, then I'm a more interesting woman for my children. And then I got this call, and I thought, I love Jon Favreau [who's directing Iron Man]. And the cast was so good. This feels right to me.

Who's your character?
I play Pepper Potts, who's Iron Man's assistant. They have a very charged dynamic.

When do you start Iron Man?
March.

And what do you do to get ready?
Pump it up! [Laughs] I'm exercising.

So why Iron Man?
You know why? Because of the people involved. It had nothing to do with the size of the budget. It was like, if I got a call that there's a six-million-dollar movie, and these are the people, I'd do it. I've always wanted to work with Robert Downey Jr. He's a genius, and I had never been asked to do a film with him before. I'm really excited that it's Iron Man because I've never done anything like it. I'm really thrilled.

Iron Man is scheduled for a May 2, 2008 release.

Doc Faustus
02-06-2007, 02:36 PM
Robert Downey Jr. could definitely pull off all the dimensions to Tony Stark. Has anybody talked villains yet?

Roderick Usher
02-06-2007, 02:44 PM
Robert Downey Jr. could definitely pull off all the dimensions to Tony Stark. Has anybody talked villains yet?

Not that I've heard, but they just signed Jeff Bridges to the cast - that's never a bad thing

Doc Faustus
02-06-2007, 03:27 PM
That's a really good cast so far. When this was announced I was pretty sure it would suck, but I guess it won't be that bad. Usually the deciding factor in things like this is the villain for me. I was puzzled and offended by Batman Begins adding Ra's-Al-Ghul at the beginning of the storyline, but pleased to hear that Ghostrider includes Blackheart.

Prelude95Si
02-11-2007, 06:38 PM
Writer Mark Fergus on Iron Man

http://www.jewreview.net/article.php?id=1168

can't get enough gore
02-12-2007, 05:03 PM
i am a noob to the iron man comics so can someone give me the 411 or maybe a website with bio's on all the characters...know about tony stark but nothing about the rest of the story