PDA

View Full Version : Risen, by L. Greqoh

Greqoh
05-19-2006, 07:20 PM
Risen
by L. Greqoh, http://qlipothica.tripod.com

The waves came suddenly.

The first wave was the smallest. It jolted the vessel a little. It got everyone's attention. Behind it came the second. It struck the side of the ship, rocking it so fiercely that screaming men rolled across the deck like toys.
The third one nearly capsized us.

As the fourth wave came, every man watched his own death approaching. It looked like a small mountain rushing forward at our little ship. Terrible was its roar. The Almighty's name was invoked by every man who saw it coming.

The sound was deafening when it hit. Then, horrible silence as the cold waters swallowed me.

For a second, I knew my life was over. But I have been threw many hardships in my life, and I have been tempered by them. I was not going to give in to panic or despair.
I fought against the cruel waters. I remained as calm as possible.

I clawed my way to the surface, bobbing like a piece of driftwood. I snatched breath, fighting to the surface for precious seconds before being knocked down again. All around men where vanishing. I clung to an empty wooden crate from the ship that I saw floating nearby. I held on with all of my might and defied fate. I sank and rose several times until the waves began to die down.

When it was over, the ship had vanished. An empty lifeboat, scattered debris and two other men were all that were left of the Savannah.

The three of us made our way to the lifeboat.

We were without previsions, fated to die a slow and horrible death. The chances of any one finding us were impossibly small.

Before I go any further, I must explain.
I have told my story many times to the papers. Many of you will remember in the past I had always claimed to have been the only one to have survived the sinking of the Savannah.
As I am now getting very far along in years, the truth has weighed heavily on me for a very long time. I must now do that which I swore I would never do. I will set down in this account the true and factual events as they happened.

I must warn you, however. If you were to tell the same story to me, I should think you mad. No doubt, I would take pity on your deranged mind. For the things that I shall tell you, simply put, cannot be!
There is no place for such nightmares in our world.
Yes, I would say the same myself where I in your place.
But the time has come. I shall commit to paper what I know is true. I shall not carry the horrors I have seen alone with me to my grave.
Two days passed without food or drink. The sun tormented us with it brilliance; it beat down on us with its merciless rays. We laid nearly lifeless in the small boat, ravaged by the relentless winds.

We three mortals, abandoned by God, floated helplessly between the endless azure above, and the fathomless depths below. And when the radiant sun sank below the horizon, a moonless night swallowed us, plunging us into a hellish abyss.

Had it not been for the storm that came upon us, we would have died soon. The winds, strong and cool, began rocking our little boat. Then far away flashes of lightning followed by cannon like thunder.

Rain moistened our flesh and quenched our thirsts.
It also began filling the boat.

The three of us were ready to lay down and die when in the distance a large black mass began coming closer to the boat.

"Look! There!" Mark's cracking voice yelled over the storm.
"Land! Oh, thank you God!" William answered.

But I was silent. I had sailed this route many times and I knew that no such island existed. It was not on any of the current maps I had consulted in the past, and it was far too big to have been ignored.

Yet there it was.

It stretched far and wide ahead of us. The winds had born us to it. While the other two men celebrated and gave raspy prayers of thanks, my intuition told me to surrender myself to the ocean.

As we drifted closer to the shore of this strange land mass, strange forms were revealed by the scintillate heavens. Lightning revealed here, and then there, what appeared to be about three dozen men. Under the flashes, we saw them.

Without much effort, the boat headed directly for the shore. While my companions and I clambered out of the tiny boat, they did not move, No help was offered to us. They stood in the darkness watching, waiting silently as we drug the boat a safe distance from the water. The three of us then fell to the sandy beach in exhaustion, but thankful for dry land under our backs.
The two men, who in the past I have never mentioned, where Roger Stanford and William McAllen.

Roger was a well aged sailor with graying red hair and a solid muscular build from his years of hard labor at sea. Even in mid forties he was still a tall imposing figure that scared me a little. His eyes were always squinted as if he were measuring up everyone he looked at, like a predator. When he spoke at all it was very quick and to the point.

William, in contrast, was a younger man newly added to the crew. He adjusted with great difficulty to life at sea, and many of us didn't think he was cut out for it. He had curly blond hair, a baby face and wide eyes that gave him a fallible expression of uncertainty like a child.
I must admit, I was amazed that while many fine men had perished in the wreck, he had somehow managed to survive.

"Hello!" Roger called out. His voice was hoarse and weak. He waved at the men but they did not move."We need some help!"

We stared at the unmoving men. They were frozen in place like statues. Roger repeated his request again but with no avail.

"I don't like this at all," William meekly told me, "I don't think they want us here."
"Will you shut up and let me handle this?" Roger insisted impatiently. Roger had little patience for William.

We watched Roger rise to his feet and approach some of the men. His hands were raised in the air in a show of non hostility. "We need food. Do you understand?" he asked. They were indifferent to his request.

William sank bank annoyingly close to me as we watched Roger walk within feet off one of the men. Lightning illuminated the two of them as Roger put his hand on the man. The man did not move. Roger began to laugh wildly.

"What's wrong? What is it?" I asked him.

He did not answer. He only walked to another of the men and felt him the same way.
"Statues, all of them! We're not going to get help from them!" he explained.

"Statues?" I asked, yelling above the downpour.

"Every one? Who would have made all of them?" William asked.
Roger and I ignored his question. We focused instead on getting shelter from the raging storm which seemed to be picking up strength.

Greqoh
05-19-2006, 07:23 PM
"Look! What is that?" I asked, pointing to a large mound shaped structure in the distance.
"That's where we're headed!" Roger yelled above the screeching wind.

We walked past the bizarre statues. I noticed that there weren't any tree or vegetation of any kind. Under my feet I felt only sand and rock. This was covered by a thick layer of slippery muck which lay over everything including the stone men. The substance gave off a foul odor.
"What is this?" William asked over the growling thunder. He felt one of the slick statues. He examined his stained hand.

"Come on you fool!" Roger ordered. It was clear that he considered himself in charge.
Even under the black slime the dome revealed its ornate construction. It looked like a cross between an Arabic mosque and a fiendish Aztec temple. We went inside through a large arch shaped entrance.

The stone floor was treacherously slippery.

"What in God's name is this place?" William asked.

What was inside the temple remained a mystery to us. It was mercifully veiled that night by the numbing nigrification of the night. Oh, that just a corner of that evil place had been illuminated by lightning! If we could have but seen....

The three of us fell into a deep silence. Only the gale falling against this antediluvian looking shelter was heard until we each fell into sleep.

I drifted off, fighting against hunger pains. I noticed that Roger had begun to stare most curiously at William.
The morning sun poured in through several holes in the peculiar dome. Beams slipped through the cracks cutting holes in the blackness.

Outside the sky was ultramarine. The ocean lapped at the rocky shore of the barren landscape. There was not a single tree, bush or blade of grass. Not a bird or any living thing in this muck covered rocky island. The landscape looked like another world.

"Roger?! William?!"
No answer.

I decided to go back into the temple to look around.
My calls went unanswered. As I went deeper into the temple the sunlight fell on certain sections of the walls. They were covered with ornate carvings. I wiped them free of the grime and stood back examining them.

The wall were decorated with hieroglyph like characters that I could make no sense of. But the ghastly pictures clearly revealed human sacrifice in some of the most horrendous ways imaginable. Crudely rendered people were being flayed, dismembered and torn apart. In some pictures cannibalism was clearly shown by priest like men devouring the severed limbs of their victims.

Such was my horror, my macabre fascination, that I wiped clean another section of wall that the light fell on. A large carving of a being that was clearly not human met my gaze. It appeared to be a cross between a human and some type of insect. It reminded me of a mantis. Its body was close to a man's but the arms terminated in hideous barbed blade like appendages.
Several men were offering pieces of the mutilated victims to it, others were bowing down and giving the abomination worship.

I could feel the evil of the place penetrating my soul. I had the strongest intuition that someone....or something watched me from the shadows. I heard movement coming from deep within the temple. It was coming closer towards an altar like table that stood in the middle of the dome.

"Roger!? William!? Is that you?"
No answer came from the darkness.

I sprang to my feet and ran towards the entrance. I tripped over something, which after I picked it up, proved to be an ancient looking leg bone. On the floor all around me I saw large piles of ancient human remains stacked up neatly.

I bolted through the arch shaped entrance and out of the temple of madness. I had gotten thirty feet out of the dome when I froze in my tracks.

A few things caught my attention. The daylight revealed the grotesque features on the statues to be the same as the mantis like being carved on the wall....
Several of the statues were missing. The ones that remained were unmistakably beginning to move....to turn towards me....

I heard Roger's frantic screaming.....
The statues were very powerful looking, but moved slow. I ran towards the sound of the screaming. It came from the side of the cursed dome.

Roger had William down and began striking him in the head with a large stone.
"Stop! Are you mad?" I screamed. I slipped on the oily muck. I looked up in time to see the final blow that left William silent, his body twitching helplessly.

Roger's eyes were crazed His face was twisted into a primal rage as he sank his teeth into William's face and tore of a large piece of his cheek. He began to devour the flesh like a starving dog.

I froze. He growled at me as he protected his kill. I watched him gnaw off an arm, ripping it indifferently from the torso as if it were a limb on a cooked turkey. He began making strange sounds, I could tell it was a language. I had never heard anything like it before. It had clicks and chips punctuating the guttural rumblings.

As if invigorated by the bloody act, the stone men gathered around us. I saw two of them grab Roger while he again began ripping off the raw meat from the arm like it was a piece of corn. Two of the powerful statues grabbed him by each arm. I watched as they quartered him like a wishbone. He howled like an animal.

I felt a stone hand brush against me. Before the fingers could close around my shoulder, I jerked away and ran passed the slow moving stone men.
In seconds I had made it to the small life boat.

I hurriedly pushed it into the water as several of the men began picking up speed as they came for me. I pushed off into the water. Fate smiled on me. The boat was soon pulling away from the island. A few statues came into the water after me. They sank beneath the waves.
As I looked back one last time to the island, a figure had came out of the dome. Several of the stone men carried pieces of Roger and William to it. It saw me and began an inhuman scream the like of which I have never heard before or since. It raised the hairs on the back of my neck and gave me goose flesh.

Before I lost consciousness, I realized that it was the creature that I had seen from the wall of the temple.

I remember nothing else except the merciful blackness that overcame my mind. When I awoke, I was being pulled aboard another ship. The crew had seen me floating lifeless in the boat. They assumed that I were dead.

For several days I could not speak at all. When I regained my senses, I knew better than to tell the truth about what I had seen.

For years I told everyone that I alone had survived the sinking of the Savannah. In private, I asked several sailors what they knew of an island located where the horrors had taken place.
I was assured that no such island existed. It was as if the damnable thing had risen from the sea, claimed two new sacrifices for a long forgotten dark god, and then quietly sank back to the hellish subterranean depths from which it came.

Taken from my site at
The Qlipothic Abyss,
http://qlipothica.tripod.com