PDA

View Full Version : Assistance Required...

cheebacheeba
05-04-2006, 07:01 PM
This is for those that have worked in medium sized to large industrial kitchens at some point. I have a college assignment for the "Workplace cleaning and Maintenance" module, in which I have to describe the cleaning (in terms of both method and equipment) of a peice of commercial kitchen equipment.
I got the "range hood"...which is the vent type thing with filters 'n stuff you have over grills/stovetops...etc
So...has anyone had to clean one of these, and if so, would you be able to describe the process for me?

The_Return
05-04-2006, 07:10 PM
Only experiance I have is with Google :p

http://web1.msue.msu.edu/imp/mod02/01500248.html

http://www.stretcher.com/stories/03/03apr07a.cfm

kpropain
05-04-2006, 08:00 PM
Remove the grill vents and clean with a basic degreaser, make sure the surrounding area is sparkling clean, and if there are "hood" fans make sure those are clean as well, ventilation is a big part of what the health board will consider "Passable" as far as cleanliness standards go...

bwind22
05-04-2006, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by kpropain
Remove the grill vents and clean with a basic degreaser, make sure the surrounding area is sparkling clean, and if there are "hood" fans make sure those are clean as well, ventilation is a big part of what the health board will consider "Passable" as far as cleanliness standards go...

Yep. That's pretty much it. I worked in the kitchen of a national catering company for 4 years and have cleaned several hoods in my day. It's a relatively simple process that kpro pretty much summed right up.

Remove the metal vent covers/grills.
Degrease everything inside and outside of the hood.
Like kpro mentioned, if there's a fan in there, degrease the blades of it.
Put the vent covers/grills back in.
Make sure everything looks shiny.

chainleen
05-05-2006, 02:04 AM
I also spent several years in a kitchen, once you take the filters down you can just hose off the entire area (we could in our kitchen). So the closing cooks wouldn't quit we would just remove 3 filter's every night, clean those and move them to the end of the line to cycle through them all. That way they all got cleaned but we didn't have to spend hours every night doing it.

I always hated having to clean the deep fryers.

Preacher
05-05-2006, 09:35 AM
Oh my god. I always knew there was a link between being a horror fan and knowing thie ins and outs of cooker hood cleaning.

Does anyone here know anything about neuroscience cos i'm gettin a bit stuck with that myself.

newb
05-05-2006, 09:56 AM
Neuroscience is a field of study that deals with the structure, function, development, genetics, biochemistry, physiology, pharmacology, and pathology of the nervous system, consisting of the myriad nerve pathways running throughout the body. The study of behavior and learning is also a division of neuroscience.

:D

Preacher
05-06-2006, 12:28 AM
Ha ha. To the letter. Thats a good one. Would you bloody believe its the nicest day of the year today and i'm in the bloody lab (on a saturday). S'really gay.

Haunted
05-06-2006, 04:05 AM
My parents have an industrial stove and range hood. They can put their filters in the dishwasher, but as was said for the crud that builds up further in, you need a deep degreaser. You also want to something that goes with stainless steel, of course. Make sure that once the area is cleaned of grease, it's also needs to be cleaned of the degreaser, because that stuff can leave it's own residue. So after you clean the area of grease, take a clean wet cloth a wipe it down with water, and dry with another clean cloth.

I have no idea what products are available in Australia, however, if you do happen to have Lysol kitchen cleaner, believe it or not, it's a damn good degreaser, and you don't have to buy that heavy junk.