PDA

View Full Version : Tsunami

hammerfan
05-03-2006, 09:41 AM
I realize this is in the wrong place but wanted to post it ASAP.

Weather Service: Tsunami Could Strike New Zealand, Fiji
Advisory Issued For Hawaii

POSTED: 12:31 pm EDT May 3, 2006
UPDATED: 1:21 pm EDT May 3, 2006

Email This Story | Print This Story

BANGKOK, Thailand -- U.S. government geologists classify it as a "great" earthquake.

A magnitude-8.0 quake has struck near the South Pacific island of Tonga. And a tsunami warning has been issued for for Fiji and New Zealand, the U.S. Geological Survey said.

A tsunami warning predicted a giant wave could hit Fiji and New Zealand within minutes.

A Tongan police officer in the capital, Nuku'alofa, said there were no immediate reports of damage or a tsunami.

The temblor, classified by the USGS as a "great" quake, struck 95 miles south of Neiafu, Tonga, and 1,340 miles north-northeast of Auckland, New Zealand. It occurred 20 miles beneath the sea floor.

The U.S. National Weather Service warned that a tsunami could strike Fiji as soon as 1:13 p.m. EDT and New Zealand by 2:21 p.m. EDT.

The U.S. Pacific Tsunami Warning Center issued the tsunami warning but said it was not known whether the quake generated a potentially deadly giant wave.

A tsunami advisory was issued for Hawaii, but the warning center said the earthquake, based on historical records, was not sufficient to generate a tsunami damaging to the Pacific coasts of the United States and Canada, and Alaska. Some areas may experience small sea-level changes.

Tonga is a 170-island archipelago about halfway between Australia and Tahiti. It has a population of about 108,000 people.

On Dec. 26, 2004, the most powerful earthquake in four decades -- magnitude 9.0 -- ripped apart the Indian Ocean floor off Indonesia's Sumatra island, displacing millions of tons of water and spawning giant waves that sped off in all directions.

The tsunami left at least 216,000 people dead or missing in a dozen nations.

Fiji, a South Pacific country made up of more than 300 islands, a third of which are inhabited, is regularly rattled by earthquakes, but few cause any damage or casualties.

cheebacheeba
05-03-2006, 10:04 AM
Again huh? this is pretty fucked up...
I live inland so I'm not too concerned about anything like this ever happening to me, but NZ isn't all that big a place...and from what I understand the fishing industry is pretty big there too, that sucks.
Whereas if it hits FIJI, fiji is fucked pure and simple.
No matter what there'll probably be death from this...potentially in the huge numbers...not good.
Well...I'll follow this with interest all the same, and hope for the best, or as posetive an outcome as possible.

It's just nuts...the way the world's changing...although I suppose it's to be expected, things like this have been happening forever...but all the same, to see these things actually come to pass, amidst all the pain, chaos and confusion, I can't help but wonder...

...did Elvis go swimming today?

Haunted
05-03-2006, 10:44 AM
May the Goddess show mercy. I hope this warning turns out to be for naught. Thanks for bringing it to our attention Hammerfan. All of those people are in my thoughts and prayers.

hammerfan
05-03-2006, 10:47 AM
I'm particularly thinking of stubbornforgey. I hope she's OK, along with her family and friends. She's the only one I can think of off the top of my head here at HDC that's from New Zealand.

hammerfan
05-03-2006, 10:49 AM
Here's an update:

Magnitude 8.0 Quake Strikes Near Tonga
By PESI FONUA, Associated Press Writer
35 minutes ago

NUKU'ALOFA, Tonga - A magnitude 8.0 earthquake struck early Thursday near the South Pacific nation of Tonga, prompting tsunami warnings for as far away as Fiji and New Zealand. The warning was lifted after a tsunami of less than 2 feet was recorded.

There were no reports of a tsunami or damage from the quake. The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center in Honolulu lifted its tsunami warning for all areas within several hours. It said there was no data indicating that the earthquake generated a giant wave.

stubbornforgey
05-03-2006, 05:09 PM
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=1&ObjectID=10380255
by the time we got the warning ..
we all wouldve been fucked..

however it seems that by the time it hits nz..it would be just a trickle..according to
the experts.
Holy fuck..our lives are dependant on a dumb ass.
I only heard about all this by checking the morning papers.

Haunted
05-03-2006, 05:11 PM
I'm really glad it turned out the way that it did. I was a'prayin' for you guys. The Goddess kept Her vigil.

Posher778
05-03-2006, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by stubbornforgey
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=1&ObjectID=10380255
by the time we got the warning ..
we all wouldve been fucked..

however it seems that by the time it hits nz..it would be just a trickle..according to
the experts.
Holy fuck..our lives are dependant on a dumb ass.
I only heard about all this by checking the morning papers.

Haha, just, a funny thought of you sitting at the kitchen table reading the morning news and saying something like "well... the phillies won" to someone in your family... Then BAM, tidal wave.

...eh, maybe it's the caffeine

stubbornforgey
05-03-2006, 05:13 PM
soz for the double posting..
em laughing at how naive new zealanders are..
they are walking around as if this is not such a big deal..
some are on talk back radio ..denying a tsunami would ever hit us and if one should come to our shores..
it wouldnt be too bad.
HELLO FUCKWITS..
watch out Australia..theres gonna be an influx of kiwi's coming your way..
em fine guys and thnx for the concern. :D

Posher778
05-03-2006, 05:20 PM
soz for the double posting..
em laughing at how naive new zealanders are..
they are walking around as if this is not such a big deal..
some are on talk back radio ..denying a tsunami would ever hit us and if one should come to our shores..
it wouldnt be too bad.
HELLO FUCKWITS..
watch out Australia..theres gonna be an influx of kiwi's coming your way..
em fine guys and thnx for the concern. :D

Oh yeah! You have the kiwi birds! They're adorable, are they all over the place?

stubbornforgey
05-03-2006, 05:22 PM
At least my washing will finally get done :D

Posher778
05-03-2006, 05:24 PM
At least my washing will finally get done :D

Huh? Kiwi birds+waves=washing clothes?

The_Return
05-03-2006, 05:25 PM
Considering you didnt notice in the proper thread, I'll post this here:

Stubborn, your PM box is full:)

stubbornforgey
05-03-2006, 05:54 PM
oh ..i saw that 'stubbornforgey' thingy
but thought you had forgotten your sentence..
cos em on this end going 'wha'?

monalisa
05-03-2006, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by Posher778
Oh yeah! You have the kiwi birds! They're adorable, are they all over the place?

I never heard of Kiwi birds, I thought she was referring to the fruit (duh). So of course I had to look up Kiwi birds. Odd little fellows.

You want to see a cute little birdy, Bananaquits in the Caribbean. They are fluttering around everywhere and are rather friendly. I guess it's known as the the official Virgin Islands bird. I'll post a pic.

Sorry got distracted by the cute bird thing. I'm so glad the tsunami turned out to be a no show. Weather, nature in general has gotten so weird these past few years. Don't know what everyone's beliefs are here (I know we have a variety of them though), but I think we all know somethings up. I'm not gonna say anything more.

Glad you're safe stubborn!

OK, here's the cute little bird....