PDA

View Full Version : Superman Returns

Prelude95Si
05-03-2006, 09:03 AM
Well I'm surprised that I haven't seen a thread for this movie yet so here it goes.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/supermanreturns/ (http://http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/supermanreturns/)

For windows media player:

http://american-toku.com/srtrailer.wmv (http://http://american-toku.com/srtrailer.wmv)

I'm not completely sure here but it looks like this is a sequale to the established Superman movies with Christopher Revies.
I was under the impression that they were restarting the series like they did with Batman Begins.

lovecraft
05-03-2006, 10:57 AM
Supposedly, Superman Returns takes place after Superman 2. For some reason Superman leaves (earth? I don't know.) but decides to come back. That is what this film is about.

Prelude95Si
05-03-2006, 11:32 AM
Thanks, I was watching the trailer and I was totaly confused.

lovecraft
05-03-2006, 02:04 PM
no problem. I just saw the new trailer. I am psyched for this movie.
Along with X3, pirates of the carib, lady in the water.

MichaelMyers
05-05-2006, 03:35 PM
How original.

Angra
05-06-2006, 05:13 AM
Oh guuuully... :rolleyes:

alkytrio666
05-08-2006, 03:02 PM
Absolutely nothing in the trailer caught my interest.

Superman's a sissy prettyboy.

Prelude95Si
05-09-2006, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by alkytrio666
Absolutely nothing in the trailer caught my interest.

Superman's a sissy prettyboy.

Wow! I didn't realize that there was someone else out there who doesn't like Superman besides me. I'm sure everyone's asking now why did I start a thread on Superman if I don't like him? Well its a comic book movie, and I will see it for action value, and also I was confused about the story.

But anyways, I've always flet that Superman was too powerful. He's only weaknesses are a red sun and kryptonite. Boreing!

The_Return
05-09-2006, 11:16 AM
You'd be surprised how many of us dont like Superman, Im not a fan either. Agreed that he's too powerful, and his costume is awful. Too bad it's such an icon, I really wish they could do something to make it look better like they did with Batman or the X-Men.

That said, Im still looking forward to this movie. Bryan Singer has proven that he can make some damn good superhero films, and the trailers for this look pretty promising. I'll see it in theatres.

Dante'sInferno
05-09-2006, 12:18 PM
Well im not a fan of superman,never was.My favorite superhero is.....Spiderman and or Batman.Yeah they make Superman have so much hype its annoying.

Angra
05-10-2006, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by Dante'sInferno
Well im not a fan of superman,never was.My favorite superhero is.....Spiderman and or Batman.Yeah they make Superman have so much hype its annoying.

I´m not into super heroes at all, but at least spiderman had a sense of humor..

alkytrio666
05-10-2006, 11:01 AM
Spider-man is the best, hands down. Both movies kick arse to the extreme.

Dante'sInferno
05-10-2006, 01:30 PM
Spider-man is the best, hands down. Both movies kick arse to the extreme. Agreed.:D

The_Return
05-10-2006, 02:11 PM
Nah, X-Men are way better. Better powers, better backstory, better effects and better villains. As awesome as the Spiderman movies are, the only thing they had that was better than X-Men was emotion. X-Men touches on some serious type stuff, but Spiderman definatly does more in that field. Hopefully X-3 will fix that.

alkytrio666
05-10-2006, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by The_Return
Nah, X-Men are way better. Better powers, better backstory, better effects and better villains. As awesome as the Spiderman movies are, the only thing they had that was better than X-Men was emotion. X-Men touches on some serious type stuff, but Spiderman definatly does more in that field. Hopefully X-3 will fix that.

It won't. And even if it tried to, it wouldn't work.

X-Men=action flick

Spider-man= serious, powerful, and emotional action flick

Prelude95Si
05-10-2006, 03:45 PM
I think that the last 2 X-Men films were heavy on drama, story development, rather than action. Especailly in the first one.
The basic premise for Spider-Man was so well done back in '63 that it allowed for far surperior storylines in both the superhero aspect as well as the personal human aspect. That is why the Spider-Man movies have done so well.

The problem trying to make X-Men emotional is that because X-Men is a team movie its hard to try and expand on emotion with so many characters. In X-Men you have the love triangle with Logan, Jean, and Scott. Then you have the tragic realtionship between Iceman and Rogue, and going from the trailers it looks like Iceman and Kitty Pride are going to be an item.
But I just remebered that there are rumors of "main characters" dieing in X3 so maybe they will be able to hit the emotion aspect after all.

But I grew-up on Spidy so I'd have to say that Spidy is the best all the way.

alkytrio666
05-10-2006, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Prelude95Si
I think that the last 2 X-Men films were heavy on drama, story development, rather than action. Especailly in the first one.
The basic premise for Spider-Man was so well done back in '63 that it allowed for far surperior storylines in both the superhero aspect as well as the personal human aspect. That is why the Spider-Man movies have done so well.

The problem trying to make X-Men emotional is that because X-Men is a team movie its hard to try and expand on emotion with so many characters. In X-Men you have the love triangle with Logan, Jean, and Scott. Then you have the tragic realtionship between Iceman and Rogue, and going from the trailers it looks like Iceman and Kitty Pride are going to be an item.
But I just remebered that there are rumors of "main characters" dieing in X3 so maybe they will be able to hit the emotion aspect after all.

But I grew-up on Spidy so I'd have to say that Spidy is the best all the way.

Very true.

All I'm saying is that when I get up from watching Spider-man, I'm choked up with emotion, whereas after I watch X-Men, I wan't to kick someone's ass with powers I don't have, and that's about it.

The_Return
05-10-2006, 03:58 PM
It won't. And even if it tried to, it wouldn't work.

X-Men=action flick

Spider-man= serious, powerful, and emotional action flick

I wouldnt go so far as to call Spiderman "powerful", at least not in that the sence of the word.:rolleyes:

Prelude95Si
05-10-2006, 06:15 PM
To be honest, I have a friend who considers Spider-Man a chick flick with action. I guess he's going off of the storyline between Peter and MJ.
But then I guess you would have to say that the comics were chick comics?

alkytrio666
05-11-2006, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by The_Return
I wouldnt go so far as to call Spiderman "powerful", at least not in that the sence of the word.:rolleyes:

I would go that far. I think it's pretty damn powerful.

Posher778
05-20-2006, 05:36 AM
I think they took power and morphed it into a slow moving love plot that drove me completely crazy. Batman owns, all day, any day.

And this superman movie looks horrible.

AUSTIN316426808
05-21-2006, 03:29 AM
Originally posted by Posher778
Batman owns, all day, any day.

My thoughts exactly concerning the best of the superheros discussion.

As for the coming Superman flick, I'm not throbbing with anticipation or anything but I'm looking forward to it. Obviously every now and then I come away from a movie thinking..''I'm never gonna get those 2 hours of my life back''..but there's not many movies I don't look forward to seeing(as far as blockbusters are concerned).

Prelude95Si
06-18-2006, 03:44 PM
So the original timeline for this movie is that it was supposed to take place in between Superman II & III. So then I started asking people how are they going to handel a sequale? B/c today almost every comic book movie has a sequale or spin-off of some kind. Then I was told by a friend of mine who is really into comics and is always reading stuff on the net. Aparently they are going to ignor Superman III & IV, so basicly we will have Superman I & II and then Superman Returns.

Personaly I say just restart the series or pick-up where it left off. I'm not big on ignoring established story. But hey, if horror movies can do it, why can't the comic books?

The_Return
06-18-2006, 05:03 PM
Still looking forwatd to this, even though Im not a big fan of Superman

ItsAlive75
06-18-2006, 05:38 PM
The shot of the bullet being crushed against Superman's eyeball makes me want to watch this movie.

Miss Olivia
06-18-2006, 07:12 PM
I really want to see this movie.
Did anyone else notice how much Kevin Spacey's Lex Luthor resembles his Dr. Evil in the beginning of Goldmember? It actually made me giggle when I saw the trailer.

The_Return
06-18-2006, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by ItsAlive75
The shot of the bullet being crushed against Superman's eyeball makes me want to watch this movie.

That made me groan...

Prelude95Si
06-19-2006, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by Miss Olivia
I really want to see this movie.
Did anyone else notice how much Kevin Spacey's Lex Luthor resembles his Dr. Evil in the beginning of Goldmember? It actually made me giggle when I saw the trailer.

Yes. But most of all I think he plays a perfect Luthor and he kind of has the Gene Hackman feel that he brought when he played Luthor.

Preety much this movie was perfectly casted.

Zero
06-30-2006, 05:12 PM
saw Superman Returns this afternoon (while my poochie was getting groomed) - not much shocking here. . . acting was generally weak (langella is wasted and spacey is clearly confined by a script that never lets him go nuts - routh is passable but generally uninteresting and kate bosworth is cute, but she's no margot kidder)

effects were generally strong - though there is a sequence where an 'animated version' of a space shuttle launch is followed by the 'actual' launch and, to be honest there wasn't a whole hell of a lot of difference.

the plot is, sadly, the weakest bit. bryan singer, who was so masterful in _usual suspects_ and _apt pupil_ makes a real hash of the Superman Returns plot. there are plot holes that you could fly a plane through and numerous sequences of dialogue that just kind of seem to end without any point - in fairness this happens to me often in real life but goddamnit i expect movies to end scenes with a 'pop!'

there are some twists in the plot for those who have long followed Supes (i won't reveal too much but let's just say the long established debate about whether superman could have sex with lois without killing her is evidently resolved)

in the end i ate my popcorn and enjoyed a few tear-jerker scenes at the end (though with two such 'oh my god how tragic a hero he is' sequences my sentimentality was running low).

the only closing note to my diatribe is this --- throughout this film, as with my experience of Batman Begins - i couldn't help but feel that the film that really really needs to be made is Dark Knight Returns - set in the future with Bruce Willis as the aging and pissed off Batman and the cataclysmic battle betwen Bats and Supes - this is the film that will, if done with the right conflicted moral air and graphic brutality, effectively end this era of the 'superhero film' but god - it would be awesome!

crazy raplh
06-30-2006, 06:40 PM
I thought it was pretty good actually. silly superman and wedlock lol I thought during the very begining of the credits WOW Star wars

freddy69
07-13-2006, 03:24 PM
this movie sucks

Prelude95Si
07-13-2006, 06:57 PM
I actully fell asleep close to the last 45 mins. of the movie. I remeber waking up and seeing Stupiedman left a giant rock into space. I thought yeah right.