PDA

View Full Version : Books and Covers

Haunted
04-29-2006, 04:26 PM
I went to the grocery store today. Outside a band was playing, and they weren't really that great, but they were young. As I was walking to my car, I passed by this kid, maybe sixteen, who had spikey hair, dressed to the eyes in "neo-goth" attire. I was decked out in faded "trendy" jeans and an Adidas t-shirt.

We made eye contact, and I got the impression that he was looking down his youthful nose at me. It was the expression on his face that made me think that. I'm pretty certain that he assumed that I was looking down my nose at him. At the moment I was looking pretty bitchy, because I hate shopping for groceries.

I almost wanted to turn around and say,

"Hey, kid, did you know that every day...several times... I post on an internet forum dedicated to horror movies. You know something else? There are losts of people just like you, and we get along so well. I respect them for who they are, and they respect me. Oh, and kid. I'm also a practicing Witch. I have been for twelve years. Don't let these duds fool you. I'm flying through this life incognito, while you wear your super-hero clothes all of the time. Don't worry. You're totally not alone."

I don't know. I just wanted to share that with you guys since there are so many types of people on this forum. How many of you would be tagged as the type of person to watch horror movies? How many of you mums, would ever be considered as the world's best mum, when infact, you're actually a damn good mum... one of the better mums around? How many of you have been called stupid when you know that you're actually quite brilliant?

Appearances? Are we hiding?

Hmmm...

I'm just being pensive tonight, I guess.

ItsAlive75
04-29-2006, 04:46 PM
I get the confused look a lot. I look like a regular guy, I have a couple tattoos but other than that I look like every other boring person out on the street. Plus I have a really young face, so I look like I'm 18 or 19 years old. Then people get to know me a little better and they see I only watch horror movies and I collect really weird foreign shit that I horde in my room.

But I am a dum-dum, so when people call me that I just shoot em' a thumbs up and smile a big stupid grin.

pinkfloyd45769
04-29-2006, 07:34 PM
I've always been labeled as being preppy.I just like to look nice, don't we all? :)

Posher778
04-29-2006, 07:37 PM
I would've been like

" go die in a fire, and stop dressing like jack skellington, because you aren't him..."

Just... long story, nevermind that...

Zero
05-01-2006, 07:47 AM
i always giggle - most of those kids are wearing t-shirts for bands that i listened to when i was their age - i want to grab them and say "hey, the ramones were MY GENERATION!"

VampiricClown
05-01-2006, 08:12 AM
That was me that you saw! :D Just kidding. This reminds me, when I went with my girlfriend to the movies the other day, we ran into two goth guys and a goth chick. We stopped and talked to them for awhile. Even they said that the number of goth's and juggalo's around here are really low. They said that we were some of the first they'd seen. But other people we passed that day....They stare and/or run away. It's funny really.

Zero
05-01-2006, 08:15 AM
here's what makes me laugh - and i don't mean any offense to our goths - or VC - but today i'm walking my new puppy through the park - its a glorious sunshine filled day, the grass is practically glowing green, the sky is perfect blue - a few whispy clouds float across. . . and there trudging through the park are three goths in heavy black, leather trench coats, big black boots, the works. . . it just looked silly on a perfectly warm, sunny glorious day. . . like someone through a blizzard in a cocktail dress

newb
05-01-2006, 08:17 AM
RUN FOR YOUR LIFE....THE GOTHS ARE COMING!

http://bw.simpsonscentral.com/images/color_ins/bart_running_away.png

OK kids....its time once again for our annual coloring contest.

Color the pic in and prizes will be awarded.

VampiricClown
05-01-2006, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by Zero
here's what makes me laugh - and i don't mean any offense to our goths - or VC - but today i'm walking my new puppy through the park - its a glorious sunshine filled day, the grass is practically glowing green, the sky is perfect blue - a few whispy clouds float across. . . and there trudging through the park are three goths in heavy black, leather trench coats, big black boots, the works. . . it just looked silly on a perfectly warm, sunny glorious day. . . like someone through a blizzard in a cocktail dress

No, I agree, wearing trenchcoats in warm weather is stupid. I wear leather arm accessories, spikes/studs, boots and stuff like that. But I wear sleeveless shirts and just a pair of jeans.

Zero
05-01-2006, 08:21 AM
in honor of the topic:

The Flayed One
05-01-2006, 08:28 AM
It's funny, the way people judge you by how you dress.

When I was managing a movie theater, I did all of the hiring. I normally dress kind of like a biker, but I was at work. I was wearing a pair of black dress pants with a grey ribbed turtleneck, a thigh length leather jacket & a nice pair of glasses. My one o'clock was a young man dressed goth/punk rock. We sat down and I read his application. I noticed that he stated his interests were horror movies & metal music (both of which I'm a big fan of) so I asked him what he liked. He immediately took on a snotty air, stating "Oh, probably nothing you've ever heard of." He then went on to state Nekromantik (which I used to own) and the band Nile (whom I've seen live three times.) After I told him about this, he seemed taken aback. Clothes (especially work environment attire) do not the man make.

slasherman
05-01-2006, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by Zero
if you design a summer outfit for the goths you will become a rich....

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d54/slasherman1971/gothiclolita_ss_2.jpg

newb
05-01-2006, 08:39 AM
I think its only human nature to judge people by thier appearance. Its all we have to go by.I'm not saying its right.....but we all do it and if you say you don't, then your deceiving yourself.

bloodrayne
05-01-2006, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by The Flayed One
It's funny, the way people judge you by how you dress.

When I was managing a movie theater, I did all of the hiring. I normally dress kind of like a biker, but I was at work. I was wearing a pair of black dress pants with a grey ribbed turtleneck, a thigh length leather jacket & a nice pair of glasses. My one o'clock was a young man dressed goth/punk rock. We sat down and I read his application. I noticed that he stated his interests were horror movies & metal music (both of which I'm a big fan of) so I asked him what he liked. He immediately took on a snotty air, stating "Oh, probably nothing you've ever heard of." He then went on to state Nekromantik (which I used to own) and the band Nile (whom I've seen live three times.) After I told him about this, he seemed taken aback. Clothes (especially work environment attire) do not the man make. No one really cares what anyone else is doing, or how anyone else dresses around HERE (except for my mother and sister:rolleyes: )....But...We ALL tend to assess a person's personality, based on how we dress.....I would guess that's because we DO tend to dress in a way that suits our personality (our likes and dislikes...ie: We don't like pink, we don't wear pink...etcetera)......DUH...

And so...I was completely surprised yesterday when I actually SPOKE to my sister's new husband (had no choice, Mom made everyone go out to dinner together to see my sister's new baby, and her husband had to sit right beside ME)

This guy looks like some kinda Jeff Foxworthy type, tight blue jeans, cowboy boots, short hair, you know the 'look'...Add to his appearance the fact that he's with my sister, I truly figured him for a country music/NON-Horror type...

My sister won't watch a horror movie (she likes girly, drama crap) and objected to the fact that Ash was dressed in black pants and a black and white striped top with Jack Skellington's head on the front of it...Funny thing about that is, my MOTHER had made similar comments about the way he was dressed before we even left the house, she said, "I know you dress him like that at home, and around your friends, but do you think you should take him out in public, to a 'normal' place, dressed like that?:rolleyes:...So, I asked my sister, "Do you even KNOW who that is on his shirt?"...And she said, "No...It's some kinda skull"...I said, "and you have kids...Shame on you"....

To which her husband replied, "Jack, Nightmare Before Christmas"...I said, "Yeah, it's not even a horror movie, she shoulda known"...Which opened the door for a horror movie discussion, which ALWAYS happens with me, and I find out he knows about Fulci and Argento!, and he LOVES horror:eek: ...Then talk turned to music, as is always next...And he says he plays bass...So, I tell him Dustin is into death metal (which I assumed he was completely unfamiliar with), and HE informs ME that HIS band was death metal :eek: :eek: :eek:...

AND...I named a few bands, he named a few bands (local metal)...I had asked him if he had heard of Skinny Puppy (who isn't death metal, but still...that was the direction the conversation turned to...) and he said, "Oh yeah...I've played with them in Cincinnati":eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: ...Turns out he's also an ICP fan!...Dustin would love this dude...

I asked him if he wanted to join Horror.Com, he said he doesn't have much time...But, would check it out...So...I warned him about you freaks...heh

And now I'm thoroughly confused as to how he ended up with my sister...lol...When I told Seri all of this, even SHE said, "How did Aunt Jenny find someone cool?"...lol

Anyway...All of this just proves that you really can't judge a book by its cover....Or, a person by their clothes...Or, as it turns out, not even by the people they associate with (or are married to...heh)!

bloodrayne
05-01-2006, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by newb
I think its only human nature to judge people by thier appearance. Its all we have to go by.I'm not saying its right.....but we all do it and if you say you don't, then your deceiving yourself. Heh...You kinda said what I was saying as I was typing all of my post...

Anyway...I do NOT judge whether a person is 'good or bad' based on how they dress, you can't possibly know that about anyone without knowing the individual themselves....BUT...Like I said, you do tend to assess their likes and dislikes, and a general 'personality', because it's usually displayed in how they dress...

MisterSadistro
05-01-2006, 09:35 AM
HDC's Haunted now appearing as Mrs. Robinson in :
http://www.astor-theatre.com/images/in-line/posters/postersT/the-graduate.jpg
:D
CK

The Flayed One
05-01-2006, 09:40 AM
Haunted = Anne Bancroft??!!!:eek:

You're more of a sexy beast than I thought!:D