PDA

View Full Version : Will Smith: "I Am Legend" !

phantomstranger
04-26-2006, 09:22 AM
I now have lost all faith in this film:

Will Smith is a Legend
Source: Variety
April 26, 2006

Will Smith will star in I Am Legend, the long-gestating Warner Bros. adaptation of the Richard Matheson novel to be directed by Constantine helmer Francis Lawrence.

Variety says Smith has a pay-or-play deal to make "Legend" his next project, after he completes Tonight, He Comes at Sony.

Akiva Goldsman rewrote the script and is producing. The Da Vinci Code screenwriter has a working relationship with Smith from his last sci-fi hit, I, Robot, and from Tonight, He Comes, which Goldsman is producing with Michael Mann, Smith and James Lassiter.

Goldsman rewrote an original script by Mark Protosevich. Goldsman will produce with Erwin Stoff, David Heyman and Neal Moritz.

Set in post-apocalyptic New York, I Am Legend is about the last healthy man following the release of a virus that decimates the population. To survive, he must battle mutants that wreak havoc during the night.

Smith's deal clears the way for Warner Bros. to plot an early 2007 start date on the actioner, which will be shot in New York.

Soloman Kane
04-26-2006, 09:48 AM
Nnononononononononononononnonononoonnononononnonon ononnonononononononononononononononononononononono nononononnnonononononononononononononononoonnonono noonoonononononononononoonononononononononononoono nononononononnnnnnnnnnnnnnnno & Finally No.
Let me say that this is my favorite Richard Matheson book & its inspired everything from Night of The Living Dead to the somber Omega Man. In my mind I can't see Will Smith doing this part. Not in a million years. There is something really disturbing about the fact that now Hollywood is going to some really good sci-fi/horror literature. Knowing Hollywood they'll screw it up. :mad: :D

Despare
04-26-2006, 10:33 AM
These always turn out the best because I go into them thinking they'll be HORRIBLE but they turn out being servicable movies that neither amaze nor sicken me. We'll see though, I think it will at least show us if Will Smith can transcend genres at all. He'll probably back out, that happened with him and K-Pax right? If it's a bad movie then it's bad... big deal don't see it. It's not as if the source material will go untapped forever after this particular movie is made.

urgeok
04-26-2006, 10:35 AM
'y'all back away now, before i have to open a good natured can of whoop ass, on your ass"
"heh heh heh - you all are some ugly assed mutant vampires"

"day-UM !!"

The Flayed One
04-26-2006, 10:53 AM
I just can't see Will Smith playing Robert Neville. It's been a long time since I've read 'I Am Legend', but wasn't Neville a burly, bearded lumberjack sort of guy? When I first heard about the possibility they were making this (long ago) they had slated Arnie as the lead.

I'll watch it, regardless...but I'm going to have to say I'm not enthusiastic at all about Smith as the lead.

noctuary
04-26-2006, 06:49 PM
Well, that's pretty much the death knell for this one.

mothermold
04-26-2006, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by Soloman Kane
Nnononononononononononononnonononoonnononononnonon ononnonononononononononononononononononononononono nononononnnonononononononononononononononoonnonono noonoonononononononononoonononononononononononoono nononononononnnnnnnnnnnnnnnno & Finally No.

^^^^^My thoughts exactly.

It's shit like this.....really puts me in a foul mood.:mad:

They might as well let Uwe(fuckingpieceofdogshit)Boll direct at this point.....fucking shit!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

Zero
04-27-2006, 05:06 AM
agreed - Smith turns this intriguing novel into a series of one-liners and a happy ending. . .

SO, who would you cast as Neville?

My pick - Ed Harris - older, but gruff and has that loner, isolated, tragic air about him

others?

noctuary
04-27-2006, 06:24 AM
Ed Harris is an excellent choice. I don't know, James Woods maybe?

Zero
04-27-2006, 06:42 AM
Originally posted by noctuary
Ed Harris is an excellent choice. I don't know, James Woods maybe?
I could definitely see Woods - ooohhh, though I could also see Woods playing the role of Neville's vampire neighbor who keeps coming to taunt him at night - that would be coool!

The Flayed One
04-27-2006, 07:59 AM
Excellent choices, both. I nominate Ron Pearlman, is he fit's the mold of the Neville I had in my head when I read the story.

urgeok
04-27-2006, 10:17 AM
of the ones mentioned .. id stick with ed harris ..

clive owen would be good - or christian bale too

Zero
04-28-2006, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by urgeok
of the ones mentioned .. id stick with ed harris ..

clive owen would be good - or christian bale too

i like Owen and Bale and if one wanted to go with a younger Neville (can't recall from the novel what his age was) - they would be cool (I've liked bale in everything - even the dreadful dragon movie)

in my head, a scary place i might add, neville was an older, loner introverted and rough around the edges - hardened survivor - and that just seems like ed harris - maybe robert duvall when he was younger, but now i'd stick with harris . . . so if hollywood is reading this, please reconsider!

newb
04-28-2006, 08:49 AM
This is the way i felt when Will Smith was cast as James West. Nothing against Smith....he's fine in certain roles.....this ain't one of them.

Despare
04-28-2006, 09:31 AM
I'd like to see somebody bigger do it... maybe Robbie Coltrane. At least it's not (and I love his action movies) The Rock, although I'm VERY excited about Southland Tales.