PDA

View Full Version : most often banned books

The STE
04-17-2006, 07:55 PM
http://www.ala.org/ala/oif/bannedbooksweek/bbwlinks/100mostfrequently.htm

I'm surprised at some of the books on there, and surprised that some are so high.

Ones I've read:
the Scary Story series
Of Mice and Men
My Brother Sam is Dead
some of the Goosebumps books
Sex
To Kill a Mockingbird
The Outsiders
Flowers for Algernon
The Stupids
The Witches
Lord of the Flies

Despare
04-17-2006, 08:16 PM
I've read a few from the list and honestly don't understand a lot of these choices. Where's Waldo? Why? How to eat fried worms too... when I was really young it was one of the best books I had read. I don't know, stuffy ass people making stupid ass rules; it's not eloquent but it's accurate.

Scary Stories (Series) by Alvin Schwartz
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
Goosebumps (Series) by R.L. Stine
A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L’Engle
The Witches by Roald Dahl
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton
Bumps in the Night by Harry Allard
A Light in the Attic by Shel Silverstein
Cujo by Stephen King
James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl
The Anarchist Cookbook by William Powell
Lord of the Flies by William Golding
Carrie by Stephen King
The Dead Zone by Stephen King
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain
Where’s Waldo? by Martin Hanford
How to Eat Fried Worms by Thomas Rockwell

bwind22
04-17-2006, 10:38 PM
What could possibly be found offensive about Where's Waldo?

What the fuck...

mothermold
04-18-2006, 12:58 AM
Book banning=total bullshit.

The_Return
04-18-2006, 02:35 AM
Heh...a bunch of those are mandatory reading at myy school:D

The Flayed One
04-18-2006, 04:08 AM
Awww.....American Psycho? They should read that to all school children. :p

Seriously though...what the fuck is up with the books about puberty? Why the hell would you want to keep a teenager from reading about what they're going through?

stubbornforgey
04-18-2006, 12:35 PM
To kill a mockingbird..??
oh your kidding..
Loved that story

Yeti.13
04-18-2006, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by bwind22
What could possibly be found offensive about Where's Waldo?

He looks like some sort of computer nerd retard, mind you so does Harry Potter, now that should be on the banned list, specky twat!

Despare
04-18-2006, 06:03 PM
Maybe they banned Waldo because some educators thought it had no educational value.
*SHRUG*

orangestar
04-18-2006, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by Despare
Maybe they banned Waldo because some educators thought it had no educational value.
*SHRUG*

...but it's fun!

Posher778
04-18-2006, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by orangestar
...but it's fun!

Of course! Except bloody, waldo world, at the end of the hard book. Where there's a million waldos.... hisssss

The STE
04-18-2006, 07:16 PM
I had a Where's Waldo type book with Santa Claus once

orangestar
04-18-2006, 07:51 PM
We play with the Spanish version in my journalism class. It's called "Donde Esta Wally?"

Haunted
04-19-2006, 07:55 AM
There's a book by Christopher Pike called Are You in the House Alone? which is for teenagers. It depicts a pretty graphic rape scence. It didn't make the cut but the Scary Stories series did? Priorities?

You guys forgot the Harry Potter series.:p

The STE
04-19-2006, 08:24 AM
have you SEEN the pictures in the Scary Stories books?

http://kidicarus222.blogspot.com/uploaded_images/scarystories_stephengammel-701084.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/RaphaelGUMOD/scarystories/scarystories7.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/RaphaelGUMOD/scarystories/scarystories4.jpg

and those are some of the tamer ones

EDIT: Granted, I disagree with banning it, just saying...the pictures are fucked up, and pictures are all kids care about

Bunman
04-19-2006, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by orangestar
We play with the Spanish version in my journalism class. It's called "Donde Esta Wally?"

Here in the UK we also call it Where's Wally - Wonder what the name change is for? Maybe Waldo doesn't sound British enough...?!?!?

Haunted
04-20-2006, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by The STE
have you SEEN the pictures in the Scary Stories books?

http://kidicarus222.blogspot.com/uploaded_images/scarystories_stephengammel-701084.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/RaphaelGUMOD/scarystories/scarystories7.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/RaphaelGUMOD/scarystories/scarystories4.jpg

and those are some of the tamer ones

EDIT: Granted, I disagree with banning it, just saying...the pictures are fucked up, and pictures are all kids care about

Oh yeah! I had those books. What was that guy's name? Stephen Gamil? Mother fucker could draw some scary shit. I'd like to ask him where he got his "inspiration."

I thought of this as I was walking my dog.

You know what picture used to scare the be-jesus outta me? Remember in the first book, "The Haunted House," theres that fucked up picture of that woman? Oi! That picture always terrified me, and like any good horrific picture, always glued my eyes to it. Everytime I happened to land on that page, I was instantly afraid, but I couldn't pull my eyes away from her terrible visage. Creepy. Lemme see if I can find her.

The_Return
04-20-2006, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Haunted
You know what picture used to scare the be-jesus outta me? Remember in the first book, "The Haunted House," theres that fucked up picture of that woman? Oi! That picture always terrified me, and like any good horrific picture, always glued my eyes to it. Everytime I happened to land on that page, I was instantly afraid, but I couldn't pull my eyes away from her terrible visage. Creepy. Lemme see if I can find her.

Great picture...personally, I always prefered the one of "The Thing"...damn that was creepy.

Haunted
04-20-2006, 01:53 PM
That story always made me afraid to look down the road at night.

However, you know what story really got to me? It was that damn story about the head falling down the chimney. I used to be a total insomniac when I was young, so I would go downstairs to our living room to watch tv. We had this huge stone fireplace, plus our neighborhood wasn't totally devoloped, thus woods. I could just imagine hearing that singing getting closer and closer and hearing that head dropping down my chimney. Ah...it used to creep me out.

Posher778
04-20-2006, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Haunted
That story always made me afraid to look down the road at night.

However, you know what story really got to me? It was that damn story about the head falling down the chimney. I used to be a total insomniac when I was young, so I would go downstairs to our living room to watch tv. We had this huge stone fireplace, plus our neighborhood wasn't totally devoloped, thus woods. I could just imagine hearing that singing getting closer and closer and hearing that head dropping down my chimney. Ah...it used to creep me out.

I remember that one. Scared me too. There was one that REALLY scared me, can't remember what though.

The STE
04-20-2006, 02:08 PM
I've got the first two on my bookshelf, the ones you mentioned are still pretty damn creepy. The one I always remember is the one where the lady had dreams about a room, and a woman came in and told her it was dangerous, and then later on a trip her hotel room was the exact room, and the woman from her dream came in. The picture of the dream lady always creeped me out

Haunted
04-20-2006, 04:31 PM
The picture of the babysitter from the first book was pretty damn creepy too.

The story about the two girls in the second book freaked me out. It was the one where the mother kept threatening to leave them, and it had a drum... Anyway they came home and their new mum was some fucked up lady.

The picture of the cat lady was kinda scary. I can't remember which book, but I think it was the second, but the bride in the chest... that picture was creepy but the story was kinda stupid.

Remember Aaron Kelly's Bones? Good story.

The STE
04-20-2006, 05:08 PM
the one where the mom took the baby and left and their new mom was a lady with glass eyes and a wooden tail (the one Haunted was talking about with the two girls) always made me sad

jedicow
04-20-2006, 05:13 PM
ok...apparently i am the only one here who has never read "scary stories". what is it about?

The STE
04-20-2006, 05:22 PM
it's a collection of various scary stories. There's 3 books in the main series, and there's various off-shoots